Marr

Lunafox

I resubbed this weekend and one of the first things I had to do was come over and tell you I love this. You have captured Marr in so much detail. This is a real treat for Marr fans like me. Also I think the part about baby Theron was cute.:rak_03:

Sorry to hear about the wisdom tooth pain, but glad you're on the mend:)

I did enjoy this chapter quite a bit. I found it funny and rather endearing the way Marr treated the baby, especially knowing it was Theron. I was surprised he took the initiative to feed him.....maybe he really will make a good father one day:)

I like the idea Zho has of how to cure Marr of the poison blood. Sounds believeable (from a fantasy point of view) and interesting. They should have some real fun dealing with the Voss (haha).

I'll be looking forward as always to your next chapter:)

Thanks for the well wishes. I hope it heals fast, I like to eat lol.

I'm glad you liked this chapter, it was a bit fluffy, but still served a couple of purposes, one of which was preparing Marr for fatherhood, so that it's not completely foreign to him. I'm also relieved that you found the crystals to be a believeable solution to the Dread problem. I hope Voss will be interesting, I'll have to curb my natural tendancy to wanting to execute them all lol. :D

That was so adorable!!!!!!!! If I could draw, I'd draw Marr and baby Theron. Ohhh the feels!

Sorry about your tooth. Get well soon Luna!!

Thanks, Scarlet. I'm so happy you enjoyed it and thank you also for the well wishes. :D

Seems that even as a baby, Theron's hair was unruly. I do love Marr, although annoyed by the baby's crying, he saw no reason to dismiss or hurt the child, it would serve no purpose. So he entertained the boy instead to keep him quiet and actually fed him, Marr does not waste energy on useless cruelty and takes his 'defender of the realm' ideals to the most unlikely places.

I find it odd that Marr knows that the boy will have no force sensitivity but Zho does not, but perhaps, as UnJedi like as it seems, I believe Zho's observations may be clouded by his feelings for the child. Marr is not constrained by such feelings.

The Voss, that should go over well, it will be an interesting trip and Rakata crystals, hmm, likely the only vessels that might hold such power. Interesting concept.

:) Looking forward to the next and glad you are on the mend.

I could totally see him as one of those babies with the fuzzy brown patch running down the center of his head like a little mohawk lol. Marr is a practical man, and he knows that seeing to the babies needs are a key step to keeping him quiet. Despite the darkness in him, he still understands that a being that age isn't articulating out of anything but need.

I agree with your take on Zho, you can't help but get a little attached, and I think Zho is an optimistic man as well. He doesn't believe in writing people off, so he's going to be hopeful and do his best to teach baby Theron, even if there seems to be no power there. I think he's also hopeful, given the power his mother and her family had.

Marr isn't an optimist, so he just calls it like he sees it and as you say has no special interest or attachment to the child to hope for certain outcomes.

I'm glad you find the Rakata crystals to be an interesting and satisfactory answer. I hope it works out :D Thanks for reading and commenting and for the well wishes. ^^

I found the interaction between Marr and baby Theron endearing. From his snarky remark at the child's wailing to eventually giving in and entertaining the kid, feeding him. It was lovely, and a nice side of Marr to see even if in a sense he was just being practical. I enjoy his observations of Theron, though I really wish Marr knew who he was, as obviously in the far future they'll be interacting again. And I do believe Master Zho has a personal attachment to Theron which causes him to hope more fiercely, and naively, that over time he may yet develop an affinity with the Force even when deep down he probably knows better.

I'm hoping whatever Zho has in mind to cure Marr of the blood will work out - are they about to create the seeds of dread? Just a curiosity that popped up in my mind.

I love that you're weaving the Voss into this as well now, and as always enjoy the way you work several game aspects and varying stories into one, in a way that works and fits.

Hope you'll feel better soon and thank you for posting regardless, I very much enjoyed the chapter and I'm still half melting at the sight of Marr with baby Theron.

Thanks :D I'm glad you liked it. I wanted a little bit of fluff and it serves it's purpose as well. Marr never realized in life that baby was Theron, but that's one of the things that are revealed through the Forcetide. It will show the various connections and truths that were unknown in life. :)

And yes, I agree with you and Misha about Zho's attachment and the knowledge he has about the child's family and circumstances. He's going to remain hopeful for as long as he can, I think that's just the sort of person he is. He'll keep him around as long as he possibly can.

I'm hoping that the ritual will work out as well, and no they're not dread seeds exactly, but something more of a precursor, or inspiration for the creation of the seeds in a sense. I don't want to say much more for worry of spoiling. I just hope that it will be enjoyable. The Voss make sense as a place where to hide the crystals, and that too has a purpose that ties into the story. I'll just have to curb my desire to want to kill them all, as you know, not really a Voss fan. They tend to irritate me. Thanks for reading and for the lovely comment. ^^

Adorable! <3

Also looking forward to the ritual.

I resubbed this weekend and one of the first things I had to do was come over and tell you I love this. You have captured Marr in so much detail. This is a real treat for Marr fans like me. Also I think the part about baby Theron was cute.:rak_03:

Hey Coge, welcome back :D I hope you had a good break. Thanks so much for letting me know you're enjoying the story, I love Marr as well, enough to write all this lol. I appreciate the comment and am glad you're back. :)

The Voss make sense as a place where to hide the crystals, and that too has a purpose that ties into the story. I'll just have to curb my desire to want to kill them all, as you know, not really a Voss fan. They tend to irritate me.

I do indeed recall how much the Voss vex you, lol. Your take should be interesting. ;)

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Marr

~Chapter Forty-Three~

It is possible to share ideals with an enemy.

The cavern floor was craggy and unyielding against my back. Zho passed his hands over my frame, the light side burning me from within as if I had passed through radiation. The darkness shunned the light at first but quickly rose up against it, in what was interpreted to be a war for control over my body, mind, and spirit.

My fever blazed higher as a third side to the war emerged—the polluted blood of the Dread Masters and the fulgarite’s cyanide residue that threatened to kill me. Fuelled by the heat, the poison bloated my blood cells.

“How will this battle meditation of yours protect me?”

Zho opened his eyes and gazed down at me with the patronizing benevolence of a healer ministering to the dying.

“Through me, your will to prevail over the Dread Masters will be multiplied and strengthened. So long as you are certain that you will win, you cannot lose. You must believe in your superiority over them and over the one that did this.”

“You ask the impossible.”

“No, Marr, I’m asking you to believe—in yourself and in the outcome you desire. That is the key.”

“Easier said than done—there is a war raging—your light, my darkness and the power of the Masters.”

“Then assign a vessel to each side—allow the light to guide your spirit, the darkness your mind, and leave the physical to the Masters. Your body is the weakest of the three.”

“If I do that, I will die.”

“If that is what you believe will happen, then that is what will happen. Believe, Marr. It is imperative that you believe in your survival. You can win. We will win. Together. You must trust me.”

“Hmph. Trust…” I mulled over Zho’s instructions. Allowing myself to believe that I could control the whims and powers of the Dread Masters was the sort of profitless arrogance I had avoided my entire life. My grip tightened around the crystals until they ground against each other.

The battle meditation no longer burned and my limbs grew heavy. My eyes closed and with a final surge of light, my awareness became unburdened. Every worry and fear left me, and all that remained was my purpose and the blinding pulse of the light guiding it, willing it ever forward to meet the Masters.

The darkness settled over me like a mantle and my determination sharpened my focus until the awareness of my fevered body faded and with it the influence of the pollution in my blood.

There was peace in unity. There was no light or dark, there was only the Force and it demanded I rise and confront the Masters.

If I carried myself to the neighboring chamber, I did not know—it seemed an illusion rather than a mundane exercise.

The temple was no longer the temple. The walls vanished or perhaps I passed through them like a specter, but I stood before the Masters and they stood before me. The bronze masks they wore appeared all the more fierce in the face of my defiance.

Mindful of the crystals in my hand, I separated the first from the lot and held it aloft with my right hand. I called to Calphayus, the most human—and the weakest. His aura detached and snaked toward me in a thin stream. As his essence flowed into the crystal, I saw what he had been.

Calphayus was the child of farmers. Instead of leaving his family behind, he murdered them and drew their essences inside himself and when Raptus tempted him with the glory of the Masters, he murdered his wife and children and gave himself wholly to the Dread Masters to become their prophet.

I felt his shame and guilt and then the maniacal glee that came with his new powers. His dead wife dogged him relentlessly and his guilt became the manacle binding him to the others. The milky clear crystal gave way to the cyan coloured energy that defined him.

Brontes came next. Her instinct led her to resist me, but having sensed the essence of her nature before, I appealed to her greed and gluttony, promising many a civilization ripe for torment. Her crystal glowed with a black and purple energy—a testament to her mastery over the dark side.

The glow in the first two crystals faded as their essence became dormant. My body gained in strength and Zho’s influence filled the emptiness of the two inert Masters.

Bestia, like Brontes, resisted me and attempted to draw strength from Styrak.

I released the darkness, allowing it to gorge on Styrak’s strength. With her power source depleted, Bestia crumbled.

My mind regained its edge and the vigorous clarity I’d taken for granted before the Emperor’s ritual.

The next two crystals in my hand glowed—Bestia’s—a bright red and Styrak’s, a dull gold.

A deep sinister chuckle wormed its way into my mind and I recognized the will of Raptus.

‘Do you think I will be so easily defeated as my brothers and sisters? You are mistaken, Marr, as is the Jedi. I will relish destroying you both with my nightmares. Suffer!’

My body convulsed and shuddered. An icy tempest whipped my body and I was forced to endure the pointless deaths of my adoptive parents—my mother’s murder in the arms of another man as she paid in flesh for the opportunities bestowed upon me and then my father’s execution for murders he did not commit.

Zho’s light glowed brighter, tempering my anger.

The vision faded and Raptus pummelled my senses with a new nightmare—that which I feared above all things—the one thing I never spoke of or shared with anyone—not even Liaseph.

Old and decrepit I lay upon a bed, disease ravaging my body. Aches of every depth and persistence tormented my joints and if this were not enough, open oozing sores framed in putrid flesh glued me into the bedding. My legs wouldn’t move and my fingers twitched with no purpose.

I had no concept of time—it mattered not if it were day or night or what season reigned. Nothing mattered. I was forgotten. I could no longer form the words to speak and when by some miracle I managed to begin, my words left me before I could say them.

What was my name? Who had I been? I couldn’t remember and that made me no one.

Ruled by pain and loneliness—there was nothing of use to be done in my life and each day was spent waiting for death to carry me into the abyss. Death is our solace.

Zho’s focus fluctuated at the revelation of my deepest fear. A surge of pity and anguish replaced the light. I feared his empathy would be our undoing.

Raptus laughed maniacally and Tyrans, the strategist, stood at his side.

The battle meditation faltered and doubt seeped in. My nightmare faded long enough to glimpse Zho’s fears.

His nightmare mirrored my own. Wizened with age, he outlived the younglings he’d trained.

He stood over their bodies as they fell over the years—first Syo Bakarn, then Jaric Kaedan, and Bela Kiwiiks the alien, and finally his favorite—the one with whom he formed the deepest bond—Satele Shan. He mourned her broken body wasting at the foot of some faraway cliff in another life.

Tears streamed from his eyes as he examined the deep lightsaber cuts bisecting her body. “The future—is always in motion,” he murmured. His gaze shifted between me and the assailant’s silhouette in his vision. For the briefest moment, I thought I detected hate in him.

Before the hatred could take root, his nightmare veered sharply away from the Grandmaster of the Jedi Order to the sleeping youngling by his side. The boy would be the last he trained and would be like a son to him. A wave of failure and misery welled up in Zho and the echo of my words tormented him.

‘You will make no Jedi of that one.’ The words were mine but the voice belonged to Tyrans.

Silence passed between us and all was lost.

The Masters had won.

Tyrans’s dread power—the death mark—formed and gathered momentum to wither our bodies. My skin tightened and grew dry, flakes of it swirling up before me. A vision of my body turning to ash and disintegrating in the wind ruled my awareness. The crystal traps vibrated and clinked together.

Zho staggered across the cavern toward the Masters. His meditation fluctuated around his body, mine, and the infant’s.

He stopped less than an arm’s length away from Raptus and Tyrans. Zho’s bravado disquieted the most powerful of the Masters and the masked pair exchanged a glance.

Zho smiled and gazed fondly at the infant. “I believe in him—and I believe in myself.” Zho turned to face me last. “And I believe in you, Marr.”

I sensed the foreboding pass between the two masters and smirked. “Zho is right. Your time here is finished. There is no place for you in this galaxy.”

I thrust the final crystals toward Raptus and Tyrans. Raptus searched for more he could use against me and a new vision began to form—that of Liaseph.

Not her,” I growled and banished her image to the place in my mind where I keep my deepest secrets.

The darkness clamored for my anger and I allowed it, feeding it as the meditation grew in strength. Raptus and Tyrans’s essence filtered into the Rakatan crystals until they were trapped. Raptus’s energy glowed purple and Tyrans, a blend of black and white. Both crystals blinked and I feared that their resistance would allow them to break free.

The crystals grew still and faded as they became dormant. I crumbled to my knees and panted to catch my breath.

“Not to sound condescending, Marr, but well done. I knew you could do it. Now, to contain the poison they left behind.”

Zho levitated the seventh crystal over me. The poison residue and what remained of the Dread Masters lifted from my body in a sickly yellow fog and filled the crystal. The fever in my blood cooled and bit by bit, my strength returned.

“Marr are you all right?”

I nodded and gathered the dread crystals. After nestling them into my pack, I tested my grip and flexed my arms. I exhaled heavily and nodded. It was as though the episode with the Emperor and the Masters had never occurred.

Zho passed the impure crystal to me. “Take this…take it and destroy it. Make sure no crumb of it survives.”

I took it and said nothing for a long time. Zho collected his mat and the various items he’d set out for the ritual, including a small brazier and the ashes of the herbs he’d crammed into it.

The boy slept in his basket and I shook my head incredulously, that he’d slept through it all, oblivious to the terror warring with us.

Zho poured water from his canteen into a metal cup and passed it to me. “Drink.”

I turned away from him and drained the cup.

“I am curious about one thing, Marr—I saw a woman in your nightmare—your wife?”

“Not yet.”

“I sense your impatience and I’m confused. You are impatient to return to her and yet you are just as impatient to leave her when you’re with her. You’re devoted, but you don’t love. Would it not be wiser to let her go—it’s no life for her.”

“What do you know of these things, Jedi? Have you had a woman? Have you loved?” I hurled the empty cup at his pack and he packed it away with no reaction.

Zho didn’t answer and I thought I had bested him, silenced him—and then he proved me wrong.

“I did once,” he began. “I loved her fiercely and she loved me, but we both came to understand that it wasn’t meant to be. I had sworn vows, given myself to the Jedi—I just hadn’t realized until then, that I hadn’t given myself to them fully. Because of her, I learned my greatest lesson—one that my Master could never teach me—and I finally understood what he meant when he said, ‘some lessons you must learn on your own.’ I believe it was my true trial as a Jedi, so perhaps, I understand a little.” Zho smiled placidly and strapped the infant to his back.

The boy yawned, stretched, and returned to sleep.

“My life is my own business, not yours. No Jedi will tell me how to live.” I stood and paced the chamber and found myself standing before the stasis containers holding the spiritless bodies of the hibernating Masters. I stood before each one and glared at their levitating forms inside.

I was certain of one truth: I never wanted to see any of them again.

“Forgive me, Marr. I’ve overstepped. Can’t fault an old man for being curious…”

“What now?”

“Dispose of the contaminated crystal—I think the lava would be best. The heat will destroy the crystal and the sickness within. After, I would be most grateful if you returned us to civilization so that we can see about chartering a ship and then I will meet you on Voss, yes?”

“Agreed, but what of these husks?”

“I will have the Jedi Order move them further into the prison, where they will never be found.”

Everything is eventually found,” I grunted, but the Jedi paid me no mind.

After Zho collected the last of his things, we left the temple. As we crossed the thin land bridge over the lava, I tossed the crystal into the sun-gold magma and after a moment of reflection, I led the old man and the boy outside of what I guessed had been the shell of a once mighty volcano.

After taking my bearings, I revealed the stolen speeder I had secreted behind a mound of snow-covered stone.

“The speeder is fuelled and the saddle packs are filled with ration bars, a blaster, ammo, and the like. Set the navigation setting due south and you will find yourself at your base before nightfall.”

“What about you, Marr? Surely you don’t mean to hike all this way to who knows where?”

“I can manage.”

“I’m sure you can.” He smiled.

The boy snuffled in the cold, the winds ruffling the dark brown stripe of hair running the center of his scalp. He wriggled his arm free of his carrier and reached for me.

“Hmph. Mind your master, youngling.”

“To Voss then.”

“To Voss,” I agreed.

Zho fired up the speeder and I watched the old man and his charge until they disappeared into the southern horizon.

I hailed the Erinyes. “Lieutenant Kayle, dispatch my shuttle to these co-ordinates. I’m finished here.”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

Goodness, quite the read. :D

So, Marr must set aside Sith ideals and dogma to survive this ordeal.

There was peace in unity. There was no light or dark, there was only the Force and it demanded I rise and confront the Masters.

Is this a turning point for him? Not that he would or could ever forsake the darkness but to finally understand that the force is rather Yin and Yang, may further determine the man he is becoming. He was always a thinker and a strategist but that pragmatism had to have roots somewhere in his life. To see all sides for the best outcome he has to know that the light has its place.

Your descriptions of the dread masters is stunning. I almost feel sorry for Calphayus, such power does extort such a high price and that his wife haunts him making him weak, another lesson for Marr?

And Marr's greatest fear that he would become decrepit in old age, no longer able to be of service to the Empire, the darkness eating away at his flesh as his spirit dies. Frightening image, strong words.

Ruled by pain and loneliness—there was nothing of use to be done in my life and each day was spent waiting for death to carry me into the abyss. Death is our solace.

And Zho's greatest fear being a mirror of his own, interesting. Nice homage to Liatrix and Satele, by the way. :)

Much for Marr to ponder after this encounter for sure and now on to Voss.

That was fantastic!!! The dread masters were terrifying, especially the part where Marr saw his greatest fear. You described it so well it felt a little too real to me. I liked how you made the Dread master's energy the same colour as their lightsabers and Zho seeing Satele dead was great, neat how you tied your other story to this with that scene.

I wonder what will happen on Voss, all kinds of possibilities there. Again, fantastic work Lunafox!!!!!

There's something beautiful in all this. In the odd, temporary 'fellowship' between Marr and Zho. They're enemies but in a way I feel perhaps Marr's picked up some unexpected lessons or wisdoms from the Jedi and it's quite wonderful.

I enjoyed the imagery that went with trapping the Dread Master's essences in the crystals, followed by Marr's own sickness. The descriptions were well done and I liked the detail you put in with the various colors and giving a glimpse at their story and power. The last two were definitely worst.

The fears both Marr and Zho experienced, or nightmares rather, were pretty well done too especially Zho's vision of Satele. Which I loved as a brilliant nod to FoaD.

Half melted at the little Theron mentions too; him quietly sleeping through the ordeal, his presence inspiring Zho to snap out of the dreadful fears. And the end, wiggling his arm free to try and reach out to Marr. Too adorable... oh Theron if only you knew. :D

Curious to see how this further unfolds between their visit to Voss and the possible reaction of the Emperor? Can't imagine he'll be pleased.

Lovely chapter, well done.

*claps hands*

I love rituals.

As before I liked your portrayal of the Dread Masters.

Marr working with Master Zho reminds me a bit of SW Belsavis, one of my favorite chapters ingame, so needless to say I enjoyed this very much.

Looking forward to the next part.

Goodness, quite the read. :D

So, Marr must set aside Sith ideals and dogma to survive this ordeal.

Is this a turning point for him? Not that he would or could ever forsake the darkness but to finally understand that the force is rather Yin and Yang, may further determine the man he is becoming. He was always a thinker and a strategist but that pragmatism had to have roots somewhere in his life. To see all sides for the best outcome he has to know that the light has its place.

Your descriptions of the dread masters is stunning. I almost feel sorry for Calphayus, such power does extort such a high price and that his wife haunts him making him weak, another lesson for Marr?

And Marr's greatest fear that he would become decrepit in old age, no longer able to be of service to the Empire, the darkness eating away at his flesh as his spirit dies. Frightening image, strong words.

And Zho's greatest fear being a mirror of his own, interesting. Nice homage to Liatrix and Satele, by the way. :)

Much for Marr to ponder after this encounter for sure and now on to Voss.

Thanks :D I'd say it's probably one of a few turning points for him, definitely. It sets a precedent for interacting with opposing forces.

I definitely think there are some parallels between what happened to Calphayus and what will happen to Marr. I'm really glad you enjoyed the Dread masters, I was worried if i would make them dreadful enough lol.

I also think that for men like Marr and Zho who have been so active in life, physically, mentally, spiritually, that growing old and weak and forgetting, basically wasting away would be a fate worse than death. I'm also happy that you liked the nod to TFoaD. :) Thanks for reading. ^^

That was fantastic!!! The dread masters were terrifying, especially the part where Marr saw his greatest fear. You described it so well it felt a little too real to me. I liked how you made the Dread master's energy the same colour as their lightsabers and Zho seeing Satele dead was great, neat how you tied your other story to this with that scene.

I wonder what will happen on Voss, all kinds of possibilities there. Again, fantastic work Lunafox!!!!!

Thanks so much :D I'm really glad the descriptions worked out as I'd hoped, and I did try and research as much about the masters as possible, because their story ended for me with the Oricon dailies...I never did the raid thing. Not seeing the end made me unhappy, but I did watch it through on Youtube. I'm really glad you liked the story and the little things I included. Voss will be interesting, I also dread it a bit at the same time lol. Thanks for reading. ^^

There's something beautiful in all this. In the odd, temporary 'fellowship' between Marr and Zho. They're enemies but in a way I feel perhaps Marr's picked up some unexpected lessons or wisdoms from the Jedi and it's quite wonderful.

I enjoyed the imagery that went with trapping the Dread Master's essences in the crystals, followed by Marr's own sickness. The descriptions were well done and I liked the detail you put in with the various colors and giving a glimpse at their story and power. The last two were definitely worst.

The fears both Marr and Zho experienced, or nightmares rather, were pretty well done too especially Zho's vision of Satele. Which I loved as a brilliant nod to FoaD.

Half melted at the little Theron mentions too; him quietly sleeping through the ordeal, his presence inspiring Zho to snap out of the dreadful fears. And the end, wiggling his arm free to try and reach out to Marr. Too adorable... oh Theron if only you knew. :D

Curious to see how this further unfolds between their visit to Voss and the possible reaction of the Emperor? Can't imagine he'll be pleased.

Lovely chapter, well done.

Thank you so much :D I was really hoping that with this scenario that the first seeds for working with the enemy would be set in Marr and I'm glad it turned out. I think both men saw a bit of the other in each other. Rituals are always a bit interesting to do, and yes, I think the last two of the masters were the worst. I could have done things for the others, but I didn't really want to weigh the story down with things that didn't affect it too much.

I'm also happy to know you enjoyed the nod to TFoaD, I actually debated putting that in, but it seemed to fit with the nightmares and also to tie the stories together. Theron was a cute bit of fluff at first, but I think his presence really did a lot to inspire Zho. I'm glad you liked it. :) Thanks for reading and commenting. ^^

*claps hands*

I love rituals.

As before I liked your portrayal of the Dread Masters.

Marr working with Master Zho reminds me a bit of SW Belsavis, one of my favorite chapters ingame, so needless to say I enjoyed this very much.

Looking forward to the next part.

Thanks :D I'm really happy that you enjoyed those parts, they were the biggest challenge of the piece. He hee, I remember that bit with the Jedi on Belsavis...that Jedi...urgh. :D I hope you'll like the next part, Voss does worry me to a degree. Thanks for the lovely comment. ^^

Really good read. Everybody said pretty much all I wanted to say all ready but I liked it and will be watching for the next part. :rak_01:

Thanks for reading and for letting me know what you thought. It's much appareciated. ^^

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I've been lurking as time allows and am working on catching up on this thread as I can. Hehe, nothing like sitting around at my son's baseball practice to help with that. ;) I did want to say that I've always enjoyed Marr in game and love anything that involves him. I'll try to give more concrete feedback when I can manage to get caught up, but I am enjoying this tale immensely.

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I've been lurking as time allows and am working on catching up on this thread as I can. Hehe, nothing like sitting around at my son's baseball practice to help with that. ;) I did want to say that I've always enjoyed Marr in game and love anything that involves him. I'll try to give more concrete feedback when I can manage to get caught up, but I am enjoying this tale immensely.

Hiya :D Nice to hear from you again. I saw from your other post that you're very busy, and I kind of knew that before too, that you have a lot going on. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment, it's really appreciated and I hope you continue to enjoy the story as you get caught up. It really is nice to hear from you again. ^^

Marr

~Chapter Forty-Four~

The cost of the truth is not always known.

The wind turned the trees from amber to silver and the air was peppered with the sharp tang of drying herbs swaying from the eaves.

A peculiar music wafted in the air alongside the spice—a lullaby played out by the reed flutes dangling over the doorways of every abode. For all appearances, it was a halcyon world, but it was just that, an appearance—a deceptive façade.

Voss was a world caught in perpetual autumn, teetering on the cusp between life and death. With the tea and wind chimes came the taint of living death rotting the world at its core. The sun’s warmth wasn’t enough to disguise the corruption, it touched every living thing.

I felt no kinship with the darkness here. It cared nothing for the beings peopling the lands, it only cared about its appetite. The consumptive nature of this presence reminded me of our ignoble Emperor and fed the first seeds of my contempt for him.

The day would come when I would need to face him again. I failed to deliver the Dread Masters and I survived the terrible fate he had designed for me. What would I say to him? What would he say to me? These questions weighed on me, despite my best efforts at focussing on the present.

I arrived a week ago with the assistance of Zho’s acquaintances who secured the necessary permits and a small room above one of the tea houses. The Voss cared little for visitors and all were regarded with suspicion. None were permitted to leave the enclave to explore their capital, Voss-ka.

At Zho’s suggestion, I donned plain hooded robes over my armor. He believed the Voss would be more inclined to assist the meek, but after observing these Voss, I came to the conclusion that the opposite was true.

There was a ruthless, calculating streak at the heart of these colourful people—kindly in appearance, but shrewd at their depths. Nothing was given freely. Everything came with a price. Credits were the frivolous tokens of the outsiders, as they called us, and were sufficient for mundane items, but the prizes of true value required a more compelling currency.

The Voss had powerful enemies called the Gormak. Killing these enemies was one such currency. Outsiders were useful tools in their war, for the one thing the Voss believed above all else was that no harm should come to Voss, whether it was one man or their world. They wanted to be rid of their pests, but without injury to themselves.

In truth, I felt a greater affinity to the Gormak warriors than these gangly, cinder-eyed Voss who spoke in vague riddles and relied on their mystic’s every judgment.

A rosy-faced female approached me. “Voss welcomes you, Outsider. I am Magra-Dai—are you the one seeking Master Zho?”

“I am.”

“He awaits you inside and bids you join him for tea.” She turned aside to indicate the domed structure behind her.

I inclined my head slightly, serving to both thank and dismiss her, and went inside the tea house.

Zho stood at the counter chatting amiably with the Master of Leaves about the various infusions they served.

I sat at a table at the rear with a clear view of the entrance. After placing his order, Zho sat across from me.

“I take it you arrived free of incident, Marr?”

“I was starting to wonder if you were coming.”

“Apologies, I thought perhaps it was best that I see to the safety of my charge before joining you. I’m sure you’ll agree travel with an infant is challenging at best.”

“Agreed. This prophet you spoke of, Mala-Ro, is he far?”

“No more than half-a-day.”

Magra-Dai set a pot of tea between us along with two cups and a small basket. “Master Zho. I have prepared food and drink for your journey. Be well. I hope you and your friend find the tea pleasing.”

Zho steepled his hands and bowed his head reverently. “Thank you Magra-Dai, your kindness is appreciated.”

She lingered a moment longer and finally understood nothing more was needed except her absence. Once behind the counter, she turned her attention to arranging the tiny bowl-like cups on a tray.

I ignored the tea and rolled my hand dismissively. “I would prefer to get this over with.”

“Where is your sense of adventure? You can’t leave without sampling the tea.”

“By the smell of it, I think I could.”

Zho chuckled and poured. “Drink up, Marr. You’ll find it fortifying and invigorating. The countryside is teeming with wildlife and none of it friendly.”

“Neither is my lightsaber,” I deadpanned.

Zho pushed the cup toward me and sipped from his own.

“I’m beginning to wish I’d taken my chances with the Masters,” I grunted and tipped my mask up just enough to take the tea.

“Well?”

“I’ve had worse.”

“At least it’s not the blood of the Masters, eh?”

“I suppose you have a point.” I drained the cup and pushed it aside. “How are we getting there?”

“We’ll take the skyhopper to The Overlook. Once we’re there, we’ll have to see about speeders. It’s not far—normally, I wouldn’t mind walking but here, it’s best we don’t linger in one place for too long.”

After Zho finished his tea, we boarded the shuttle bound for The Overlook. Zho curled into himself and napped for most of the trip. I tolerated the curious stares of the other passengers and I sank into thought, strategizing on how to approach the Emperor regarding my ‘failure’ when I returned to the Empire. There was no avoiding fate, but I would determine how I would meet it.

The vessel touched down, its landing gear stuttering across the stone pavers. The boarding ramp dropped and with a final lurch, the skyhopper powered down.

We were the first to disembark and while we took in our surroundings, the other passengers, mostly tradesmen, vanished inside the nearly completed buildings. The Overlook was a new outpost still under construction. The shells of the stone buildings were mostly complete, leaving only the interiors to finish.

A marketplace started to sprout on the far side of the town square and above it was a knoll with a spiraling path leading to a small palace at the summit.

“What’s up there?”

“Last I heard, it was to be a visitor’s center.”

“I didn’t think they encouraged tourism. These people are borderline xenophobic.”

“They’re an ancient culture, Marr. They’ve been alone for a very long time, but they’ve come to realize that will not be the case in the coming years. The Three have foreseen the arrival of many new people, so they prepare.”

“The Three? Their government?”

“Yes, in a manner of speaking. They’re prophets and guide the people here.”

“Why is Mala-Ro not with them—if he is such a powerful mystic?”

“Because his purpose is to guard the Dark Heart.”

“Don’t insult me, Zho. There is more to it, I sense it.”

“Well, I suppose, it’s because he’s different. I understand from the old texts that there is a maze here, below ground to confuse and contain the entity I spoke of. Surely you’ve sensed it.”

“I have.”

“Mala-Ro is the only Voss who knows the maze—so he cursed it—so that he could never leave.”

“Why?”

“For fear that the entity would follow him out and destroy the world. I’ve also heard that the entity keeps him alive.”

“Mala-Ro is immortal?”

“In a sense. The entity will not allow him to die.”

“How old is Mala-Ro?”

Zho stroked his beard thoughtfully. “No one knows. I suppose you could ask him when you see him if it matters that much to you.”

“If the prophet is trapped in this maze and cannot leave, what’s to keep him or this entity from imprisoning us?”

“Not us. That is why we must part ways, Marr.”

“That would be quite a coup for you Jedi. Do you really believe me such a fool that I would willingly enter a trap?”

“Not at all, Marr.” He bowed his head and removed an amulet secreted beneath his robes. “In order to visit the Dark Heart, you require The Pendant of Bone, this pendant. It will protect you from the entity and the madness it brings. It’s the key. It will also allow you to travel the maze undetected, so you will be able to leave The Hall of the Unforgotten when you wish.”

Zho passed me the amulet and I considered the unusually crafted pendant before putting it on.

“Shall we be on our way then? We can lease speeders over there in that market.”

“What about you—traveling without the pendant—will it not affect you?”

“I’m touched by your concern, Marr. Thank you for that, but no—as I said it’s not far. I’ll show you to the door and be on my way, as we agreed. Let’s go.”

I acquiesced silently and followed him to the market.

We sped toward the Dark Heart and as we neared, the majestic, oversized trees became corrupted—twisting in on themselves, their roots pulling free of the soil as if they wanted to escape the lands. The bark was black and moist and though the trees lived, there were no shivering amber-red leaves here, only the hungering darkness.

Even the rocks had sprouted across the terrain like jaws waiting to snap. Everything within the Dark Heart seemed to be designed to contain whatever had entered and was every bit the prison that Belsavis was.

Packs of wild beasts fed on the sickly grass and leapt snarling at us as we passed overhead.

Zho slowed and came to a stop before what appeared to be a cave at first, but upon closer inspection was the base of a mangled tree. A pile of sun-bleached bones marked the entry.

“This is it, Marr. This is where I leave you.” He dismounted his speeder and approached me. “Take the food.”

I took the parcel Magra-Dai had prepared and stowed it into my pack.

“I wish you well, Marr. I would call you my friend, but I know this changes nothing between our people.” He offered his hand to me and with some reluctance I took it.

“No, I suppose it doesn’t,” I said quietly as I released his hand.

“Safe travels. It’s been—an adventure,” Zho said good-naturedly. “Oh, before I go, I do ask one favor, that you leave that pendant with one of the Voss at The Overlook before you return home. It was never mine to give, it is of Voss, as they’d say.”

I nodded and watched him mount his speeder. After he’d disappeared over the horizon, I entered the peculiar tree-cave.

Inside, I passed by those that had gone before—some were no more than a pile of bones and rotting flesh while others, still alive, muttered to themselves as they hurtled toward the same fate as the dead.

They paid me no mind and I passed by them. The winding corridor opened into an alcove marked by Voss sculptures and stone tablets containing engraved passages, that suggested I had arrived at the gateway of the underground temple.

I felt a presence behind me and before I could confront it, it spoke.

“So you’ve arrived, at last, Outsider.”

“Mala-Ro? I assume Master Zho informed you of my arrival somehow?”

“I am Mala-Ro, but no one informed me of anything. I foresaw your coming an age ago and I welcome you.”

“Most here are anything but welcoming to outsiders.”

“This is true, but you are unique. Through you, comes liberation.” He closed the distance between us until there was little more than an uncomfortably intimate space between us and though I was tempted to step back, I held my ground.

“You cannot enter until you have received the Blessing of Oneness.” He clamped his hands to each side of my mask and held my face. He muttered in a tongue I didn’t understand and when he finished, a bright aura of energy surrounded me and then faded. “Now, you may enter as Voss and we will speak.”

He led me into the innermost sanctum of the underground temple and indicated I sit across from him. Gleaming gold and green cubes that could have only been holocrons lined the shelves behind him.

“You have secrets, Outsider. Many, many secrets—one of which you seek my assistance in keeping. Show me.”

“You’ve foreseen this…you know what I’d ask of you…the risks,” I murmured, dumbfounded by his candor.

“What you ask of me, is the key to my liberation. There is no risk, only what lies ahead.”

“Explain?” I unwrapped the six crystals and fanned them before him.

“You see death as your solace. Voss is not so different, death is freedom.”

“You’ve been here a long time…how old are you?”

“What can be forgotten matters not. Age is nothing. I am here, you are here, and your desire is that I unburden you.”

“Yes. But I don’t understand what you meant about your liberation and why I am the cause of it. I need answers.”

“One answer costs another.”

“Then name your price.”

“The Outsider is impatient for a liberator and your impatience will lead to your downfall.”

“These riddles of yours—”

“—Are a means of learning more about those who come to Voss. You speak of prices, but Voss does not know what that is, Outsider.”

I frowned. “You said, one answer costs another. What is the cost? To the Sith, cost equals price.”

“You must agree when the time comes.”

“Agree to what? And when? I’ll strike no vague bargain.”

Mala-Ro’s slate blue face pinched and the glowing coals that were his eyes sparked. He rose and lit a brazier and threw several twisting branches upon it. “Breathe and walk with Voss.”

I rose and he waved me back into my seat. “You do not need to rise to walk.”

The burning wood filled the chamber with the smell of wood rotting in moist loam. The aroma appealed to me and I breathed deeply.

The mundane faded around us and was soon replaced by the same world, only constructed of light. My mind swam and my eyes stung as they readjusted to the luminous yellow vision.

“Now you walk with the prophets, you see as Voss sees.”

Mala-Ro carried the crystals bunched in one hand as though they were little more than trash to be disposed of. I followed him to a great chasm and he cast the crystals into the darkness.

The ground shook under our feet and a deafening roar echoed around us. Denied the crystals, the entity raged for what it perceived as its due.

Mala-Ro mumbled chants under his breath and peered into the chasm. The entity grumbled like a spoiled child and the prophet turned his back to it.

I cast a wary gaze toward the chasm. “This entity, this is what you call Sel Mak—”

“—Do not speak its name. Come.” Mala-Ro led me to an ante-chamber and knelt before the pyre there. I followed suit and watched the golden-yellow flames wriggle before us.

“You have a mystic’s sight, Outsider—but you do not trust your visions.”

“Not everything I see comes to pass.”

“Perhaps it does not pass as you would expect. A mystic sees but does not interpret. Look at the flames as you would, Outsider, and share your visions with me.”

I meditated on Mala-Ro’s words and to learn the answers, I gazed into the flames. The visions in this plane moved so quickly the details blurred and I could not decipher who or what I was seeing.

“What do you see?”

“I don’t know…”

The Voss grunted as if annoyed and peered into the vision. “From your kind, a great deceiver will emerge. He desires to speak for the one that rules you—the one whose errand brought you to Voss. The deceiver will lure the true voice here to take my body so that he may rule instead.”

“And you would have me stop this deceiver—prevent the true voice from possessing you?”

“No. With his entrapment, comes my freedom. My essence will be freed—my guardianship will finally end.”

“And what of the true voice…it will become trapped here in your stead? Unable to leave?”

Mala-Ro nodded.

“What will this deceiver use to bait him with?”

“That which you brought to me today.”

“Will his power reach beyond the confines of this place?” My mind raced with possibilities and my future seemed less bleak.

“No, he will be bound here until the evil that protects this body can be subdued.”

“Who would have the power to subdue the entity?”

“It will be one of your own.”

“Subdue…not destroy?”

Mala-Ro shook his head. “The Destroyer will come through you but will not be one of you. Our corruptions will be destroyed utterly—in body, voice, and spirit.”

“What does that mean? Are you saying there will be a traitor?”

“It means, what it means. If you do not know the answer, then the time is not at hand for you to know. So impatient, Outsider. Do not expect destruction to take root quickly. It will take time. The Destroyer will understand.”

I sighed heavily and stood to pace the golden plane.

“This troubles you,” Mala-Ro murmured.

“It troubles me, because of its ambiguity. I don’t understand your interpretation. It’s too vague. I need more. What would you have me do?”

“There is nothing to be done. There is no more to be said. I have interpreted your vision, understanding will come later.”

The golden realm faded and we were returned to the ante-chamber. I spread my hands, marveling that we had not moved from our seats at the table. My head throbbed and my eyes stung and watered under my mask.

Mala-Ro wavered and clung to the table. “I have taken your burden as my own. You must go now, do not look back on Voss.”

I collected my pack and exited the cave. If nothing else, I had much to think about. I mounted the speeder and raced toward The Outlook, eager to return the pendant and leave Voss behind me.

((to be continued…))

A/N:

The term 'Master of Leaves' is something I invented because I thought a tea expert should have a title like a barista or a sommelier does. Happy Easter! :)

Edited by Lunafox

Very nicely written Chapter. I know you're not fond of the Voss but I do feel you did them justice despite that and provided apt descriptions of their culture and nature.

I like the way you worked parts of the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior story into this. Baras' future ploys, and I assume Liatrix is 'the Destroyer' Mala-Ro speaks of? Very nice how you weaved those things together for Marr's own quest on Voss. I loved this; “The Destroyer will come through you but will not be one of you.".. oh Marr if only you knew.

Is this the last we've seen of Master Zho? I must say you did him quite nicely, I enjoyed his presence in the story and the curious collaboration with Marr.

Wonder where he'll go now, and still somewhat anxious over how the Emperor will react... and, quite curious how things are going at home. What Liaseph's life has been like in this long absence of Marr.

Stellar job as ever and happy Easter!

The chapter was a wonderful read, as always. :)

Of course, the Voss have always been an interest of mine and I believe you aptly described them and the tenets by which they live. Everything is a committee and everything has a price for sure, only the currency differs. I can see where the Gormak would be more akin to Marr's sensibilities than the Voss. I truly loved your 'Master of Leaves' title.

So subtly and cleverly done to weave the SW story and also the precursor to Liatrix into the chapter, I like it. And that whole Sel Makor entity darkness that Marr can feel, all are wonderful flashbacks to the in game story. Ah, and let's not forget the Pendant of Bone.

I was sorry to see the end of the relationship with Zho although I believe their meeting did have an impact upon Marr beyond the curing of his poisoning.

And then the emperor, he has probably been waiting for the force ripple announcing Marr's death, I doubt he will be pleased that he was robbed of the Dread Masters as well as Marr's demise.

Where to next Marr? Perhaps home and back to Liaseph? Wonder what she has been up to during his long absence.

A lovely chapter, as always.

I loved the way you described Voss...."a world caught in perpetual Autumn". It is my most favorite "world" with my least favorite people in it. Like you I intensely dislike the Voss people. But you did describe them perfectly both in appearance and demeanor in my opinion.

Some of it confuses me just a bit, but then everything to do with Voss and the Dark Heart always seems to leave me with a question.

Going forward, I am curious about what the Emperor's reaction to Marr's actions will be, as well as how Liaseph has been occupying her time in his long absence.

Looking forward to your next update. And Happy Easter to you too!:D

Edited by Foxfirerose

Happy Easter!

This chapter already made for a good morning, thank you. :D

I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't this. What a clever way to connect the crystals to the ingame story.

I love it!

Thank you :D I hope you had a nice holiday. I'm also happy to hear that you enjoyed the chapter, I'm tickled. Thanks for the great comment. ^^

Very nicely written Chapter. I know you're not fond of the Voss but I do feel you did them justice despite that and provided apt descriptions of their culture and nature.

I like the way you worked parts of the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior story into this. Baras' future ploys, and I assume Liatrix is 'the Destroyer' Mala-Ro speaks of? Very nice how you weaved those things together for Marr's own quest on Voss. I loved this; “The Destroyer will come through you but will not be one of you.".. oh Marr if only you knew.

Is this the last we've seen of Master Zho? I must say you did him quite nicely, I enjoyed his presence in the story and the curious collaboration with Marr.

Wonder where he'll go now, and still somewhat anxious over how the Emperor will react... and, quite curious how things are going at home. What Liaseph's life has been like in this long absence of Marr.

Stellar job as ever and happy Easter!

Thanks :D That's a relief, I didn't really want to show my bias against the planet in the story, at least not too much lol. I'm glad that you thought it did Voss justice. Whew, that's a load off. :) And yes, The Destroyer is Liatrix, given that it was the Jedi Knight that thoroughly trounced the Emperor even before becoming Outlander. I'm glad you also liked the prophecy because I'm always a bit worried about going too heavy handed with them.

I think that's the last of Master Zho that we'll see in this one, but you never know. If he does show up again it'll be a surprise :D He was kind of a nice character to write for, I did enjoy him more than I thought I would. Thanks again for the lovely comment :)

The chapter was a wonderful read, as always. :)

Of course, the Voss have always been an interest of mine and I believe you aptly described them and the tenets by which they live. Everything is a committee and everything has a price for sure, only the currency differs. I can see where the Gormak would be more akin to Marr's sensibilities than the Voss. I truly loved your 'Master of Leaves' title.

So subtly and cleverly done to weave the SW story and also the precursor to Liatrix into the chapter, I like it. And that whole Sel Makor entity darkness that Marr can feel, all are wonderful flashbacks to the in game story. Ah, and let's not forget the Pendant of Bone.

I was sorry to see the end of the relationship with Zho although I believe their meeting did have an impact upon Marr beyond the curing of his poisoning.

And then the emperor, he has probably been waiting for the force ripple announcing Marr's death, I doubt he will be pleased that he was robbed of the Dread Masters as well as Marr's demise.

Where to next Marr? Perhaps home and back to Liaseph? Wonder what she has been up to during his long absence.

I know you have an interest in Voss, so I am flattered that you felt that I did a decent job of it. As I said I didn't want to show my hate in this, didn't want to bare my teeth too much at them lol. I'm glad you liked the title too, it seemed fitting. :D

It was sad to bid Master Zho goodbye, but as you say, he served his purpose in affecting Marr, and showing him that the enemy could be cooperated with and trusted. That sets him onto a whole new way of thinking in how he approaches some problems.

There is a lot coming up, I just hope I can tackle it all lol. Marr will eventually be getting back home to face what has been going on there and to face the music. Thanks again for the lovely comment! :)

A lovely chapter, as always.

I loved the way you described Voss...."a world caught in perpetual Autumn". It is my most favorite "world" with my least favorite people in it. Like you I intensely dislike the Voss people. But you did describe them perfectly both in appearance and demeanor in my opinion.

Some of it confuses me just a bit, but then everything to do with Voss and the Dark Heart always seems to leave me with a question.

Going forward, I am curious about what the Emperor's reaction to Marr's actions will be, as well as how Liaseph has been occupying her time in his long absence.

Looking forward to your next update. And Happy Easter to you too!:D

I'm really happy that you enjoyed the chapter and that you felt that I was fair to the Voss, even though they're among some of the more unlikeable people in the galaxy, at least in our train of thought. Like you, I like the planet too, it's pretty, I don't even mind the wildlife lol. I'm in a way glad that some of the prophecy type stuff seemed a little confusing because that's how I felt in talking to the Voss...confused by all the vague nonsense. I don't think you could nail them down to a straight answer lol.

I hope that the next part will answer your questions, cause I'm rather curious myself to see how Marr will deal with the Emperor and what has been going on at home during Marr's absence. Thanks for the lovely comment!

Happy Easter Luna!!!!

The chapter was amazing. I like how you described things and how you wove the game into the story. I agree with everyone else. I loved it!!!!! I want to see what Liaseph has been up to while he is away too!!

Thanks, same to you. :) I'm really happy to know you enjoyed the chapter, it did worry me to a degree. Weaving the game stuff in to a degree is always a bit fun for me, though I try hard not to get heavy-handed with it. Thanks for the lovely comment! :)

Woohoo, I've caught up! It's been a great read and I love your writing style — looking forward to reading more of it.

There were plenty of things I picked up along the way, but one of the bits that made me laugh was:

Ravage’s glare fixed on the ground in front of the agent. “Those rocket boots…are they still functional?”

“Yes, my lord.”

“Good. Then show yourself out!” With a backhanded gesture, he Force flung the agent off the roof.

That and the bit about Marr's synthetic heart, where he describes the difference it makes in the Force, which I thought was especially well-written.

More recently some observations about Ngani Zho and co:

“Ah, yes, a long time ago, that was—but just as one never stops learning, one never stops teaching either.” He looked meaningfully at the infant boy and settled next to him.

My attention fixed on the baby. “I sense no Force ability in him. He’s an empty vessel.”

“It doesn’t matter.

I pitied the child—coveting a gift he would never have, despite the Jedi’s hope otherwise. It wasn’t impossible, but very unlikely. He lacked the shining thread of divinity that linked all Force users, but what he lacked in sacred ability he made up for with enthusiasm, and I pitied him all the more. The day he would learn the truth would be a painful one.

The day Theron finds out the truth is what, 15 years too late? It's that gutting moment in one of the comics when he describes it with the Sun analogy that really makes me dislike Zho, although not as much as I dislike Satele. Leaving your kid on a backwater planet with a Jedi going gradually more senile is just...not grand. Granted, the training he received certainly puts him in good stead for the rest of his life, but I get the feeling that Jedi have never heard of orphanages. Or foster parents. Or, you know, normal childhoods. As crazy as Zho gets, he must have been sane enough at this stage of his life to understand the bad effects the false promise of the Force could cause.

In any case, I love the fact you included them (it was, of course, incredibly cute) and you managed to make Zho a little more likeable for me.

Woohoo, I've caught up! It's been a great read and I love your writing style — looking forward to reading more of it.

There were plenty of things I picked up along the way, but one of the bits that made me laugh was:

That and the bit about Marr's synthetic heart, where he describes the difference it makes in the Force, which I thought was especially well-written.

More recently some observations about Ngani Zho and co:

“Ah, yes, a long time ago, that was—but just as one never stops learning, one never stops teaching either.” He looked meaningfully at the infant boy and settled next to him.

My attention fixed on the baby. “I sense no Force ability in him. He’s an empty vessel.”

“It doesn’t matter.

I pitied the child—coveting a gift he would never have, despite the Jedi’s hope otherwise. It wasn’t impossible, but very unlikely. He lacked the shining thread of divinity that linked all Force users, but what he lacked in sacred ability he made up for with enthusiasm, and I pitied him all the more. The day he would learn the truth would be a painful one.

The day Theron finds out the truth is what, 15 years too late? It's that gutting moment in one of the comics when he describes it with the Sun analogy that really makes me dislike Zho, although not as much as I dislike Satele. Leaving your kid on a backwater planet with a Jedi going gradually more senile is just...not grand. Granted, the training he received certainly puts him in good stead for the rest of his life, but I get the feeling that Jedi have never heard of orphanages. Or foster parents. Or, you know, normal childhoods. As crazy as Zho gets, he must have been sane enough at this stage of his life to understand the bad effects the false promise of the Force could cause.

In any case, I love the fact you included them (it was, of course, incredibly cute) and you managed to make Zho a little more likeable for me.

Yay! Glad to hear you're caught up and that you like it! Thank you :D That bit with Ravage was one of my favorite things personally, I could see him being pr.ickly enough to do that to someone lol.

I haven't read the comics yet, so Master Zho was a creation based on what I thought he'd be like from what Theron has said (Annihilation and in-game), and what little snippets of info I found on the net, and from the wiki. I actually acquired The Lost Suns today (the ebooks, sadly not the comics themselves) and will be reading them hopefully over the weekend :D

I'm glad that you found Zho on the likable side, I wanted to do justice and to have a fairly Jedi-like Jedi because in the past I've been accused of not looking upon them kindly or treating them 'fairly' even though I felt I had. I try and keep my personal bias' out of things as much as I can, but it can be tough when you have a real dislike on for a character like I do for Satele for example.

Thank you for reading and thanks for commenting, it's much appreciated. I usually post very late on Friday night or early into Saturday mornings, though this week's installment might be a bit late, because of issues I had earlier in the week, and also because of the release of the expac. I was playing more than writing ;D

Edited by Lunafox

Marr

~Chapter Forty-Five~

To the riddles, the answers begin.

In the month that followed my departure from Voss, I traveled to the Sullestan homeworld on the Outer Rim to respond to a distress call issued by the newly instated governor, Moff Xerxian.

Within the first three months of Xerxian’s term, protests grew into uprisings and eventually into full-scale rebellion.

I discovered upon my arrival that many of our forces had deserted the Empire to fight alongside the Sullistan people—an unusual and unlikely turn of events I hadn’t expected.

What would force our men to desert and take up the Sullestan cause?

I would learn the answer after a fortnight of hard battle in Sullest’s subterranean districts. Denied food, clean water, and medicine by the new governor, Sullest rebelled. I soon learned that Xerxian’s corruption extended beyond depriving the native populace to include the military as well.

The quartermasters confirmed that all supplies issued by the Empire had been rerouted to Xerxian’s personal stores. After cherry-picking the inventory, he auctioned the rest to the highest bidders—mostly crime syndicates and Hutts.

Xerxian railed against my interference and I sentenced him to the full might of the darkness at my disposal.

As I suspected, he lasted only minutes after I took my leave. His suicide note credited me with his madness and torment—the details vague enough that they would spin stories into legend.

I abhor such gossip but must acquiesce, these tales were not entirely without benefit. They fed the darkness a steady meal of fear and dread and my power magnified. Only a vestige of the man I once was remained—a thread I buried deep in the light—for that was the one place the darkness would not go.

A nervous lieutenant approached me as I started for my shuttle. “My Lord? What is to be done with the deserters?”

“Execute them all,” I barked in passing, so ending my time on Sullust.

What seemed like days had unwittingly grown into months—my tour, finally at an end. A sense of foreboding loomed over me and I knew my life would be changed forever.

“Admiral Vilks—set a course for Dromund Kaas.”

“Yes, my lord.”

I retired to my quarters and stood before the brazier but the flames yielded no answers. The intercom chimed, breaking my focus.

“What is it, Lieutenant?”

“My lord, a message from the Emperor’s Fortress,” Kayle announced, voice quivering.

“Put it through.”

“At once, my lord.”

The image of the Emperor’s black-cloaked messenger flickered over the holo-console. “Marr. You are to report to our Master at his fortress, immediately upon your return.”

“Understood.”

The messenger vanished in the midst of my acknowledgment and I knew the time of reckoning had arrived.

The Emperor was undoubtedly aware that I still lived. I had failed to deliver his generals to freedom and now I stood at the corner of the chessboard, every avenue blocked by inevitability.

My thoughts turned to Liaseph. Without my protection, her position within the Empire would be compromised and I loathed the parasites and scoundrels that would attempt to exploit her. I finalized my arrangements with the Intergalactic Banking Clan so that none could challenge or seize her inheritance. Prior to my audience with the Emperor, I would set them in motion.

Through the viewport, the diminishing black-blue tangle of hyperspace heralded our arrival home.

The Erinyes moored above Kaas City for refueling and crew rotation and I shuttled to the surface without a word to anyone.

I dreaded the conversation with Liaseph—months had passed without so much as a word between us and now, upon my return, instead of endearments there would warnings and the urgent plea that she leave Imperial space for all time. She would suffer, and though I was no longer capable of sharing in her emotions, I still wished to spare her.

The hope that she had realized her folly and returned to Alderaan in my absence germinated alongside the last thread of humanity I still possessed.

The shuttle alighted on the landing pad just outside the garden. Rather than the usual jubilant welcome, I was met with silence and the sensation that something wasn’t right.

“Liaseph!” I called out as I searched the rooms she tended to favor. Every room was empty and no reply came.

The protocol droid emerged from the library with a clatter. “Master—you’ve returned. Welcome home.”

“Where’s your mistress?”

“She’s not here, Master.”

“I can see that, droid. Where is she?”

“Her handmaiden took her to the hospital?”

“Handmaiden? Why? What happened?”

“The lady hired a handmaiden as you suggested, Master—but I dare say she’s more of a companion than a maid.”

“You test the limits of my patience, droid. Why is the lady in the hospital? Is she ill?”

“Why to give birth, Master.”

“She was pregnant? Why wasn’t I notified?”

“Apologies, Master. The lady ordered us not to. She hasn’t been herself.”

“When was she admitted? What of the child?”

“Three weeks ago—regrettably that is all I know, Master. The hospital will not release information to anyone but family.”

I sprinted out of the house, the droid trailing after me, still spouting its mindless prattle.

With barely a thought, I boarded the shuttle and flew back to the city.

At the hospital, I made my inquiries at the nursing station, but before I could take my leave, I was met by the attending physician.

“Lord Marr, this is an honor.”

“Kindly dispense with the pleasantries. I require information—Lady Liaseph Teraan—what is her condition and the condition of her child? I wish to see them.”

The physician blanched and swallowed hard. “Lady Teraan is struggling with post-partum depression—she’s rejecting the infant—she won’t look at the child or feed it. We decided that it’s best to keep them both here until a member of the family comes forward to assist with the decision making process. My lord, forgive me, but—are you family?”

“I’m the child’s father.”

“I understand, my lord. Rest assured we respect the confidentiality of all our patients and their families.”

“I wish to see the child.”

“Of course, my lord, right this way.”

The physician led me to a private nursery and collected the sleeping infant from the bassinet. My gaze followed and judged his every movement.

“Congratulations, my lord, you have a daughter,” he murmured as he shifted the bundle into my arms.

She weighed nothing and was paler than I would have expected. Coils of fine brown hair peeked from under the white knitted cap warming her head. Wispy eyebrows furrowed together as if her dreams demanded serious decisions from her already.

“Is she healthy?” Her right hand curled about my index finger, clasping it tightly.

“Yes, considering the delay in nourishment, she’s doing very well. She’s taken to the formula and between our staff and Lady Teraan’s handmaiden, we’ve ensured that she receives adequate care and attention. Lady Teraan is in the adjoining room.” The physician indicated the door bordering the rooms. “We attempt to create a connection between them each day, but so far, we’ve been unsuccessful, my lord.”

“I need a moment.”

“Of course, my lord. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.”

The physician left and I sat with my daughter nestled in my arms. My daughter, my child—the words, the idea—the guardianship that came with being a father were foreign to me. I had fathered this child and she was mine, I reaffirmed.

With a gentleness I’d never believed I was capable of, I shifted her in my arms and she opened her eyes. The stern expression remained as she looked up at me—her eyes wide and the colour of my own.

At that moment, I sensed her connection to the Force and the silvery thread connecting us. She was mine and I was hers, and from this time forward she was the heart I no longer had. I swore my devotion to this tiny being above all others and for the first time in decades, I wept.

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox