Marr

Lunafox

Well... damn. I know what you meant now, and it wasn't enough, but damn. I guess the honeymoon weeks are over and Ravage is not happy. That Agent though, balls, I'd hoped it was Tersus' man and that his offer to help her was sincere... until he asked for payment. He could still be Tersus' man but just a huge double crossing slime bag too. Damnit. Can't see how Liaseph's going to work her way out of this one, Ravage seemed real intent on hurting her... oy.

Those other Darths Marr is working with are idiots, as the news coverage proved I suppose. Callous, arrogant and soon to be dead dumbdumbs. The opening line fit perfectly, too. Interesting though how slowly his Force visions and dreams seem to seep into his consciousness... can't wait to see where that goes.

On a side note, the moment Lia stepped out onto that balcony and removed her slippers to get up on the ledge... total Titanic moment in my head, lol.

As always, fantastic job Luna and well worth the wait!

EDIT: Just re-read it, coffee does do wonders LOL. I get the Agent now, as well as the name which plagued me all night and then I remembered the Facebook chats :p Still don't like that he's clearly playing both sides though, bah nasty man.

Yep, the agent is none other than this man http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darmas_Pollaran . I was worried that the anagram of his name was too obvious, but went with the simpler version of it anyways. He's not as terrible as it seems. There are clues that show he did what he did for a reason, like seeing the reflection in his data pad. He knew Ravage had returned. But he also has no reason to cater to Liaseph, as far as he's concerned she's Ravage's play thing and that's about it. She's little and cute and smells really really good, but beyond that she's not that important to them. Neither he nor Tersus know about her or have reason to care, so the more important job here is to seem reliable and loyal to Ravage, even if it means throwing the girl under the bus.

The other Darths, well they're just acting as some Darths do, they're out for themselves, they want recognition and after the public love fest at the celebration for Marr, they're not going to do anything further to bolster him up in the eyes of the Emperor, or the people.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! ^^

Now, let's review the facts: Tersus' man is there to monitor Ravage. Deep cover. I may have forgotten details, but there is no reason to think he'd know about Liaseph and her connection to Marr. My money's on her message reaching Tersus, at least. Marrs radio silence will be a hindrance, though.

Another great chapter. The characters, Marr especially, come alive, and the tension is gripping, even though we know how things turn out. That is good storytelling.

You got it ^^ If you played the smuggler story, you might recognize the agent...this is Darmas Pollaran as a young imperial. I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter and it really does make me feel pretty good that Marr is real and alive, as I would hope to make him. Thank you so much for the lovely compliment. ^^

I am undecided as to whom the charming agent's loyalities belong to. He is supposed to be under deep cover, but I wouldn't put it past him to play both sides.

Spoiler for the new agent's possible identity.

Palloran sounded familiar, so I checked Wookieepedia, but my search came up empty. But when he introduced himself to Lia with his full name it made click. I take it this is not a coincidence? At least the personality fits :)

Ohh, I like! <3

The charming agent's loyalties belong to Tersus and Intelligence. He's doing his job...which is to get close to Ravage and watch his activities and see where his interests lie, and in order to maintain that, 'Damars' threw Lia under the bus. It worked, although Ravage is angry at the revelation, he didn't kill Damars, so he'll continue using him. And good catch, the agent is none other than this man http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darmas_Pollaran

I'm glad that his personality fit and that you picked up on it.

That opening statement could be true if most sith weren't pretentious fools. Only Marr and Vowrawn seem to have their ducks in a row.

I truly enjoyed the back and forth between Marr, Vengean and Azamin, they should have listened. The little bit of information about Vowrawn was interesting, seems he is working toward the betterment of something, but with him who can really tell if it is the empire or himself.

Ha, nice word play on that whole Damras Pallaron thing, had me going for a bit until you mentioned his sabacc card counting. Well played. :D So now Ravage knows about Liaseph and Marr, I fear it will not go well for her as his response proved, the words as well as the act.

I do love how you weave the whole tale together.

This is true, it's what Marr's ideal is, but it's not at all close to the reality. Marr and Vowrawn are frighteningly organized in my thinking and they're the ones really helping the Empire. Despite how Vowrawn may seem, he's not really all that selfish. He has so much, that as long as he's entertained and mentally challenged, he doesn't care if he's giving away the proceeds to the empire. I suppose you could say he's a religious Law of Abundance follower. He doesn't want for anything because he's constantly giving away and never worries about money, so he always has plenty.

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed my little anagram guessing game with Darmas/Damars. I love doing stuff like that. I do it with the droid names too...like SH0-4 sounding a bit like 'chauffeur' in the other chapter lol. Poor Liaseph is not going to be in for an easy time of it, that's for sure. I'm really glad you're enjoying the story, it's certainly keeping me on my toes trying to remember all the stuff from the other stories that would affect this one lol.

Edited by Lunafox

Yep, the agent is none other than this man http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darmas_Pollaran . I was worried that the anagram of his name was too obvious, but went with the simpler version of it anyways. He's not as terrible as it seems. There are clues that show he did what he did for a reason, like seeing the reflection in his data pad. He knew Ravage had returned. But he also has no reason to cater to Liaseph, as far as he's concerned she's Ravage's play thing and that's about it. She's little and cute and smells really really good, but beyond that she's not that important to them. Neither he nor Tersus know about her or have reason to care, so the more important job here is to seem reliable and loyal to Ravage, even if it means throwing the girl under the bus.

Yep, took a night of sleep to register but it did lol. Thing is I was reading, thought of Darmas and then told myself "Nah, Luna wouldn't mis spell his name she's too good" and then the next morning it was like "WAIT she did mention something about an anagram on Facebook... DUH!" so I looked again and puzzled it out. :o On the bright side this means you can tease away and I may very well be none the wiser by the time I read the chapter? lol

Once again though great chapter. :D And apologies for always polluting the comments by replying multiple times, I get too chatty. :rolleyes:

Edited by JennyFlynn

Yep, took a night of sleep to register but it did lol. Thing is I was reading, thought of Darmas and then told myself "Nah, Luna wouldn't mis spell his name she's too good" and then the next morning it was like "WAIT she did mention something about an anagram on Facebook... DUH!" so I looked again and puzzled it out. :o On the bright side this means you can tease away and I may very well be none the wiser by the time I read the chapter? lol

Once again though great chapter. :D And apologies for always polluting the comments by replying multiple times, I get too chatty. :rolleyes:

Thanks :D He hee, I have way too much fun with these little games. I figured you'd get it straight away because of our chat on FB and like I said I almost went with a harder version of the anagram but figured, well, others might not get it, if I do that.

It's all good, I don't mind comments and discussion, that's part of the fun, so don't feel self-conscious about answering or anything, I love it. ^^

I love all the comments too, even if I don't always make one. But reading the comments is almost as much fun as reading the chapter since you all write those so interesting and sometimes funny, as well as informative for the rest of us (or myself anyway). I don't always pick up on everything. I did get Darmas Pollaran though :D

I love all the comments too, even if I don't always make one. But reading the comments is almost as much fun as reading the chapter since you all write those so interesting and sometimes funny, as well as informative for the rest of us (or myself anyway). I don't always pick up on everything. I did get Darmas Pollaran though :D

I'm glad you got Darmas out of it :D That makes me happy! ^^ The comments, you're right, they're fun to read, entertaining and insightful--and always appreciated. <3

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Marr

~Chapter Thirty-One~

Man does not change war, it is war that changes man.

War speaks to the nobility in men. It demands our devotion even as the divide between our best and worst grows convoluted.

We lurk in the graying silence and the truth becomes a heavier burden, more difficult to ignore—we fight to keep what is ours, but war takes it away, win or lose. There is wisdom in silence but it becomes lost in the noise of war.

We must find it again.

Twenty-seven days after the disastrous first incursion upon Bothawui, Grand Moff Zellos returned to the mid rim world with massive reinforcements. The loss weighed on Zellos and his wounded pride would not allow him to accept defeat. Obsessed with the conquest of Bothawui, he rallied those loyal to him and they came in force.

He brought his fleet and he brought an army, fifty thousand men strong.

Imperial fury rained down upon the world. Zellos raged against Jedi master and commander, Belth Allusis; eighty-four knights; four thousand men; and the bane of both battles—the planetary shield generator and the shield encapsulating Bothawui.

Emboldened by their first victory in an age, the Republic believed that Zellos wouldn’t dare return after Darth Immerns defeat.

Most of the Republic Fleet departed after the first battle and had taken the majority of its Jedi force with it. They had assumed Zellos had cut his losses. They were wrong.

Zellos returned and took Bothawui, but at the cost of his fleet and forty thousand men. Those that remained were too broken and weak to maintain their hold on the planet against the forces sent to repel them.

History would remember the second battle of Bothawui as a draw—a far more generous outcome than I would have given.

It was a battle Zellos should’ve won, but instead, it serves as a monument to his incompetence—exceeding even that of the late Darth Immern.

Grand Moff Zellos is not long for this world. The Emperor’s focus follows him like a starving Nekarr cat follows a rodent; and like the cat, our Emperor will toy with him before ultimately finishing him.

Word of Master Allusis’s death and the deaths of his men spread through the galaxy like a nova. The knowledge that so few could hold such a force at bay, re-invigorated a Republic we had all but crushed. Despite their deaths, Allusis, and his men had mended the Republic’s tattered morale and would live on as heroes of the Republic.

The war had turned and not in our favor. The battle for Bothawui was a humiliation the Empire could have avoided.

Bothawui was a waste, but perhaps it was required to temper arrogance into wisdom. The Emperor himself would need to reconsider his strategy, but until such time, there was work to be done. The Imperial war machine stopped for no one—the work, as always, would continue and I would see it realized.

Days grew into weeks and then months.

Worlds ceased to have names; they became coordinates, ordered by the priority of the resources marked for seizure. Our victories were many, but they were quiet and enduring.

There was no time to dream. All that was once dear seemed no more than a pleasant fiction. Remembering was a luxury. There is no luxury in war.

We moved with the predatory grace of a Firaxan shark, the galaxy our ocean. Glutted with resources and dominion over many new worlds, we recovered what had been lost and had expanded the Empire’s reach.

Onward we pushed until the day came when we set aside our mantle as conquerors to become defenders once more.

Admiral Vilks approached but didn’t dare to ascend to the uppermost tier of the bridge I favored.

I sensed his eyes on my back and the tremor in his hands.

“My lord, we’re detecting an encoded Imperial signal—it sounds like a distress call. Permission to boost our subspace transceivers?”

“Granted.”

I kept my back to the crew as I listened to the boosted and decoded message crackling across the bridge.

“This is Darth Vengean to any Imperial vessel…do you read? We require reinforcements at the following coordinates. We are outnumbered and outgunned. Any Imperial vessel—respond. The is an emergency, we won’t last much longer.”

Allowing Vengean to fall was a temptation I considered indulging. I owed him nothing. He had attained his position through inheritance rather than distinguished service or prowess and his campaigns hindered more than they served. Azamin was little better.

“My lord, shall I respond?” Vilks urged. “My lord?”

“No. Send no response.”

“My lord—with all due—”

“Enough. Reinstate silence. Do it now.”

“Yes, my lord.” Vilks bowed.

“Set a course for Peltos V—these co-ordinates.”

“My lord, that will put us behind the planet—Vengean’s fleet is on the other side.”

“Precisely.”

The Erinyes emerged from hyperspace and stopped just short of Peltos V. Recent geological surveys revealed the world contained an abundance of concentrated Baradium Bisulfate deposits—a highly combustible substance useful in demolitions and the manufacture of thermal detonators. One gram would vaporize twelve city blocks—a few kilograms could destroy a moon. Further scans revealed a smattering of mining camps near the larger nodes.

The remainder of the fleet materialized but a moment later. The Erinyes, and the armada that followed rose against the backdrop of the morning sun—each ship’s silhouette, a dark arrowhead corrupting the yellow dwarf’s golden face.

Over the horizon, the battle unfolded before us and I knew we would soon be in range of the Republic’s sensors. I hoped to postpone their discovery of us, for as long as possible.

Balls of flame bloomed before us as the Republic pushed hard against the remains of Vengean and Azamin’s fleet.

A Mark VI starfighter skittered out of control, colliding against the hull of the Republic Valor-class cruiser dominating the fight.

Packs of Talon starfighters hounded an isolated Fury-class interceptor engulfed in black smoke, the last of its life winking out with its thrusters.

Vengean’s flagship, the Salaminia, shuddered under the attack of not one, but two Hammerhead Corvettes hanging abeam, their battering intentionally out of sync, to keep the Salaminia from regaining enough stability to make an emergency jump to hyper speed. The battleship’s nose dropped thirty degrees, increasing the danger of losing attitude control.

“Extend frontal shields to the Salaminia and fire at will on those Hammerheads.”

“My lord—even with our reinforcement, they’re vastly outnumbered,” Vilks protested.

“Numbers do not decide a battle, Admiral. Question me again and I will have your tongue. Fire!”

“Yes, my lord. Shield extended—commencing bombardment of starboard vessel. The Zephyrus is coming about—and has opened fire on the port side corvette.”

The Hammerhead off the Salaminia’s starboard side shuddered under each volley until it cracked in half, both sections driven by ribbons of flame as they plummeted toward the planet’s thermosphere.

The impact pushed the Salaminia laterally into the portside Corvette, the collision locking the two ships together.

The republic vessel attempted to reverse in vain, like a jagulor with its head trapped between the bars of its cage.

“Vilks, reinstate full communications.”

“Yes, my lord.”

“Captain Firston, come about and focus fire on the remaining corvette. Decimate it!”

“Yes my lord,” the Captain’s voice crackled over the com.

A blue-gold ball of flame consumed the corvette.

“Direct hit!” Firston whooped.

“My Lord, Darth Azamin’s ship…” Vilks began. “That Valor-class has turned its sights on the Paralos. We’re out of weapons range.”

“Move us in five thousand kilometers. Focus all deflectors at its fuel cells…at this frequency—fire in ten-second bursts, fifteen seconds apart. Three bursts ought to suffice.”

“Firing first burst…no effect…”

“Patience, Admiral.”

The second burst followed, with seemingly no effect and the crew held their breath.

“Third burst…firing now.”

The Valor-class cruiser appeared to be coming about, its heavy cannons swiveling toward us.

“My lord?” Vilks pressed.

“Inform Azamin and the rest of the fleet to back off. Now.”

“Transmission sent…and acknowledged.”

No sooner had the Paralos reversed, the cruiser’s engines cut out.

“Shields up. Brace for impact!”

The viewport flashed gold and the Erinyes shuddered against the impact of the blast ring growing exponentially from the cruiser’s final coordinates. Debris pummelled the hull like hail as we rode the wave of the explosion. The energy wave dissipated and the fleet struggled to regain control.

Vilks frowned. “My lord, sensors indicate several Republic vessels emerging out of hyperspace over Peltos.”

“Inform the rest of the fleet to evacuate Peltos space and rendezvous at Dromund Kaas. Do it now.”

“Transmission sent and acknowledged.”

The fleet roared into hyperspace, leaving the Erinyes alone in the face of the enemy fleet and its incoming reinforcements. Every Republic vessel came about to face us like a reflection, cannons rotating as they locked on our position.

Anxiety spread over the bridge like a fog and several of the men exchanged worried glances, their knuckles white as they executed their tasks. The hyperdrive’s warning indicator blinked red.

“My lord—something appears to be wrong with the hyperdrive motivator. There’s a malfunction. We can’t leave.”

I nodded and after considering the readouts, I drew a deep breath.

“My Lord, the Republic commander is ordering us to stand down. They’re giving us thirty seconds to respond with our surrender.”

I laughed—and the crew erupted in low anxious snickers. Perspiration darkened their uniforms and the Force shimmered with their racing heartbeats and dark laughter. Fear ruled them and they had resigned themselves to the end.

For the Empire.

The Republic fleet commander’s signal broke through on another frequency. “This is Commodore Elmin Lansing of the Republic fleet. Your allies have deserted you, Sith. Stand down, or be destroyed.”

The enemy fleet hung in a massive swarm before us and I sensed their jubilation. The fact that they felt the compulsion to threaten one ship only fed my amusement.

I made a slashing gesture across my throat and Lansing was cut off.

Time did not permit the luxury of a diagnostic of the hyperdrive motivator. Without it, we would perish. I drew a deep breath and reached out with the Force. The motivator remained intact, but the relay connecting it to the nav computer’s automated system had shorted. I completed the calculations for hyperspeed and input them manually. My hands hovered over the controls.

“My lord—we’ve lost our shields,” Lieutenant Kayle announced. “And he’s hailing us again.”

I turned my back to Kayle. “Admiral, scan the surface for the largest Baradium Bisulfate deposit.”

“Yes, my lord.” Sweat trickled from Vilks’ temples to his cheeks and his voice quavered when he spoke. “S-scan complete, my lord.” He swallowed. “The largest deposit spans the northern hemisphere.”

“Target all weapons on the deposit.”

“Weapons targeted.”

“Fire!”

Peltos’ northern hemisphere flashed white—but it didn’t end there—it spread to the south, turning the sphere into a blinding ball of light that transcended the colour spectrum into a ghostly transparency that burned hotter than the core of any blue star.

The explosion triggered a chain reaction across the world through the veins that ran to its core, and for a moment it’s presence lingered in the Force, manifesting as a ball of stony crumbs before flying apart. The light grew and vaporized the Republic fleets. Unable to outrun the vast explosion, swarms of fighters shot ahead, only to be consumed.

I slammed the com and the Erinyes bolted into the comforting darkness. The light seemed to pursue us, even into hyperspace. Uncertain if it was truly there, or if the explosion had damaged our sensors, I reached out with the Force. The magnitude of the explosion was such, that a fraction of it had entered hyperspace with us.

The light continued burning through the blue swirls of hyperspace. Even if our shields were functional, they would not be enough to withstand the boiling heat, and without them, we would not survive.

The darkness had been silent as if it had recognized the sleeping power encrusted within Peltos V. I summoned it and like a frightened animal it peered out at me from across the ether. The black fog rose about me like smoke and continued beyond the confines of the Erinyes. It coiled about the ship like a massive constrictor and the interior of the ship darkened, except for the light thrown from the control panels.

We hurtled through hyperspace, sensors damaged, no shields and no true means aside from the Force to know where in the galaxy we were.

I reached beyond the darkness and as the end goal registered I disengaged the hyperdrive manually, to coast beyond the tunnel. The stream closed behind us, swallowing what remained of the pursuing light.

The Dromund system lay before us, the familiar violet sun beaming over its children. The crew exhaled collectively, their shoulders slumping as they threw themselves into the backrests of their chairs to relax. Eleven months had passed since we’d left.

I turned to face the crew and clasped my hands behind my back. “Admiral Vilks…”

“Y-yes my lord?”

“Take us home. We’re overdue for leave.”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

I almost have no words. What a powerful, intricate chapter. Not only does it capture the military genius of Marr, but also depicts a very realistic space battle. So masterfully written I almost felt I was there seeing it all through a viewport.

The entire introduction, so insightful to the costs of war that few realize. And then the inevitable failure of Zellos and the terrible consequences, so devastating that even the emperor must take notice and a stance. And Marr, caught in the forefront and also the middle, devoted and stalwart almost to a fault. My admiration for Marr just increased a hundred fold as well as your depiction of him.

So well done that compliments would surely fall short. My hat is off to you.

Edited: almost forgot. So leave on Dromund Kaas? Does this portend a possible reunion with Liaseph? A smackdown or showdown is coming? If so, watch your back Ravage, actually no, with Marr it would be face to face, now Vowrawn, is a whole different thing.

The spoiler says it all.

Edited by MishaCantu

I admire the flow of the battle scene. Kudos!

Yet my favorite line was this one:

Worlds ceased to have names; they became coordinates, ordered by the priority of the resources marked for seizure.

Coordinates aren't homes for people. If you keep it abstract enough you don't need to let the countless deaths of civilians bother you. The horrors of the war against the Empire hide in the depths of this sentence.

Like Misha I am curious to see what the next chapter brings.

Edited by frauzet

First off, that was one hell of a Chapter. I'm blown away by the level of detail, the realism and depth... that must have been one hell of a job and I really felt like I was aboard the ship myself watching every little thing.

I loved the way in which the separate sections provide an in-depth look at the tides of war and though there's obviously skips in the timeline (as we start with 27 days following the previous Chapter and end with 11 months later since Marr had departed for war), it's quite seamless at the same time. Beautifully done.

Worlds ceased to have names; they became coordinates, ordered by the priority of the resources marked for seizure. Our victories were many, but they were quiet and enduring.

There was no time to dream. All that was once dear seemed no more than a pleasant fiction. Remembering was a luxury. There is no luxury in war.

We moved with the predatory grace of a Firaxan shark, the galaxy our ocean. Glutted with resources and dominion over many new worlds, we recovered what had been lost and had expanded the Empire’s reach.

Onward we pushed until the day came when we set aside our mantle as conquerors to become defenders once more.

This section made for a beautiful and yet harrowing transition as the cost of war begins to take its toll.

And Marr... he is stunning isn't he? The latter half of the Chapter really made for a grand display of just how powerful and smart he is, how skilled. Cloaking the Erinyes in darkness to protect it from the onslaught as they traveled through hyperspace was genius, on his part and therefore yours as a writer. I loved it.

And now we wait to see what Dromund Kaas has in store...

I almost have no words. What a powerful, intricate chapter. Not only does it capture the military genius of Marr, but also depicts a very realistic space battle. So masterfully written I almost felt I was there seeing it all through a viewport.

The entire introduction, so insightful to the costs of war that few realize. And then the inevitable failure of Zellos and the terrible consequences, so devastating that even the emperor must take notice and a stance. And Marr, caught in the forefront and also the middle, devoted and stalwart almost to a fault. My admiration for Marr just increased a hundred fold as well as your depiction of him.

So well done that compliments would surely fall short. My hat is off to you.

Edited: almost forgot. So leave on Dromund Kaas? Does this portend a possible reunion with Liaseph? A smackdown or showdown is coming? If so, watch your back Ravage, actually no, with Marr it would be face to face, now Vowrawn, is a whole different thing.

The spoiler says it all.

Thanks so much. It means a lot to hear that, as you and Jenny know through Facebook, I was tearing my hair out over this one. I'm not particularly clever when it comes to military-type things, so, this was a real challenge. I'm relieved that it seems to have worked out. ^^ And yep, back to Kaas and all the possible things that could happen over there :D

I admire the flow of the battle scene. Kudos!

Yet my favorite line was this one:

Coordinates aren't homes for people. If you keep it abstract enough you don't need to let the countless deaths of civilians bother you. The horrors of the war against the Empire hide in the depths of this sentence.

Like Misha I am curious to see what the next chapter brings.

Thanks Frauzet! I'm thrilled that the line reached you...I really wanted to show how after a while it just becomes targets instead of people and civilians with lives and homes. I think you'd go a bit insane after awhile if you thought of every life taken etc. Those poor miners on Peltos had a bad day, but they were 'acceptable casualties' in the grand scheme. I don't think any casualty is acceptable myself, but this is how I would imagine the empire to be.

First off, that was one hell of a Chapter. I'm blown away by the level of detail, the realism and depth... that must have been one hell of a job and I really felt like I was aboard the ship myself watching every little thing.

I loved the way in which the separate sections provide an in-depth look at the tides of war and though there's obviously skips in the timeline (as we start with 27 days following the previous Chapter and end with 11 months later since Marr had departed for war), it's quite seamless at the same time. Beautifully done.

This section made for a beautiful and yet harrowing transition as the cost of war begins to take its toll.

And Marr... he is stunning isn't he? The latter half of the Chapter really made for a grand display of just how powerful and smart he is, how skilled. Cloaking the Erinyes in darkness to protect it from the onslaught as they traveled through hyperspace was genius, on his part and therefore yours as a writer. I loved it.

And now we wait to see what Dromund Kaas has in store...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. There was quite a bit of hair pulling, avoidance and slacking off this week, because it was giving me such grief to get everything just so. As I said above, I'm not clever with military type things or strategies, so it was tough coming up with something cool yet plausible, so I could get Marr's genius across. Just for the record, Peltos V is Luna Lore lol. I figured I could blow it up, if I made it up. And yep, back to DK again, where new challenges await me. I'm just really happy it worked out and that you enjoyed it.

Thanks! ^^

Marr

~Chapter Thirty-Two~

Love fuels the deepest hatred.

Thousands lined the thoroughfare between the market square and the citadel. Our military bands led the way, their instruments jubilant with the traditional march that defined us and served as a proclamation of the Empire’s victories.

My victories.

Legions of our forces dressed in full dress uniform marched alongside the open-air barge carrying us toward the citadel. Every building wore the scarlet tabard of the Sith Empire. Banners fluttered above us and before us and multicolored ribbons of ticker tape and confetti poured from the sky like rain.

The breeze carried the aroma of the sugared muja fruit and roasted warra nuts the street vendors sold.

Children clamored for the floating replicas of destroyers and starships to drag along behind them as they ran alongside the parade barrier.

Their laughter and unbridled elation tugged at my conscience. So many would never know moments like these. My gaze settled on a dark haired toddler, his face radiant as he clutched his model Terminus to his chest. He was the right age—and I thought on what might have been. My hand closed involuntarily as if doing so would preserve the idea, but like so much else, it slipped away and distraction ruled the moment again.

Holocams hovered past the crowds recording every step of the parade for the purposes of both security and broadcast over the holonet.

Red and black inflatables floated into the sky while the thunderous march of walkers announced our might with every booming step.

Vowrawn, clad in flamboyant scarlet finery, sat to my right, his arm hoisted high and swaying in a perpetual closed-fingered wave. His teeth gleamed in sharp contrast to his crimson flesh and with his ruby red eyes, he reminded me of an Opee Sea Killer—on too much caf.

Without missing a beat of his wave, he leaned against me. “Why so sullen, old friend?”

“Sullen?” I snorted, feigning a better mood than I was in. “How can you tell?”

“Precisely! And if I can’t tell, neither can they,” he prattled cheerfully as he indicated the crowd with a sweeping arm.

“You need to be more expressive—it’s a parade! All of this is for you, to mark the occasion of your triumphant return. Why not give the people what they came for?”

“And what would that be exactly?”

“Why you, of course.”

“Surely this…this spectacle is enough?”

“You’re their defender. This is your moment. Make the most of it.”

“I would never have agreed to this farce had I known.”

Vowrawn beamed. “Trust me, old friend, I’m well aware. I do hope you’ll overlook the fib—after all, it’s not entirely untrue, you are needed at the citadel. Just be grateful about the monument…” He muttered the last in a rapid string under his breath.

What monument?” My saber hand opened and closed reflexively.

“Oh do calm down. I haven’t commissioned it—yet.”

“Nor will you.”

“You’re far too serious, old friend. Live a little—enjoy the spoils. This day…is a day of celebration,” he spread his hands as he spoke, “Who knows what surprises await.”

“At what point over the years, did I give the impression that I enjoy surprises?”

“Humor me—think of it as a much-needed boost to the Empire’s flagging morale. Imagine their glee—to be acknowledged by their great defender. They’ll be positively giddy, I assure you. Give them what they want.” He elbowed me and his smile grew wider than that of a used speeder salesman.

“Fine. If it means you’ll stop gawping at me like a madman.”

“That’s the spirit, my friend.”

I stood and raised my arms high to incite the crowd. I wasn’t prepared for what happened next. The masses erupted and their cheers drowned out the bands and even the walkers. My name surged from a roar to a deafening chant and I understood why some men sought adulation—it was a narcotic—capable of dimming the senses until all that mattered was the approval of the throng and what provocation would inspire it again when it faded.

The Force swelled and rolled through Kaas City and I realized a more insidious danger—those with power over the masses ruled the world and courted the envy of both lesser and more powerful men. My place was on the battlefield, not on our Emperor’s throne. I indulged the crowd once more and then reclaimed my seat.

Vowrawn jabbed my side. “Now tell me—was that so terrible? I think a monument would be well received.”

No monument.”

“Pity. Perhaps if you saw the location I’d secured—”

“I said, no.”

“Not even in the jungle?”

“Vowrawn...” I growled in warning.

He held up his hands in surrender. “Message heard loud and clear, my friend. Still a shame to waste such a glorious location…”

“Then build one for yourself.”

I had no idea what he planned, but I could practically hear the gears in his mind grinding with possibility. I shot a final glare in his direction to be certain he understood me.

Two hours later we arrived at the Citadel. The Imperial Orchestra and Chorus lined the scarlet runner leading inside and when Vowrawn and I descended from the barge, they heralded our arrival with the traditional ancient march of the Sith. Legions of our finest troopers performed choreographed precision drill sequences with dizzying speed.

As we passed, the braziers flanking the courtyard blazed to life and a great pyre served as the primary focal point—the only details missing were the victim and the flames.

“Splendid.” Vowrawn clapped his hands together and beamed. “Truly remarkable isn’t it?”

“Indeed. So, who’s the guest of honor?” I deadpanned.

Vowrawn chortled and I found his glee almost unsettling.

My gaze was drawn beyond the waiting pyre to those gathered inside—predominantly Azamin and Vengean huddled together with their respective power bases and the rest of the Dark Council—including Ravage.

Each member emerged with a lit torchiere as their names were announced and each took their place around the pyre.

Vengean approached me and passed a lit torchiere to me and acknowledged me with a subtle nod. Azamin bowed slightly and took his place next to Vengean. Ravage glared at me with the thinly veiled contempt I had come to expect from him.

A half dozen of the Emperors scarlet-robed personal guard emerged next with an Imperial proclamation bearer between them.

Vowrawn met the bearer and claimed the scroll from the cushion and unfurled it.

“Respected members of the Dark Council and good citizens of the Empire—as the Grand Marshall of today’s proceedings, I welcome you all. We gather here today to honor the heroism of one of our own—for serving the Empire with distinction. Darth Marr, step forward if you would.”

I broke the line and stood before Vowrawn, the bearer, and the Imperial guards.

“The Emperor presents these tokens of his esteem for your exemplary service and prowess in the heat of battle—the Order of the Emperor and the Emperor’s Glory, with the rank and privilege attributed to each.”

The bearer approached and affixed a row of glimmering aurodium medals to my chest.

Vowrawn waited until the polite applause fell away before continuing. “And in recognition of the Erinyes and her valiant crew, the Emperor has bestowed the Valor Under Fire Citation. Congratulations Darth Marr and do convey our Emperor’s respects to your brave crew.”

The bearer returned with an aurodium plaque to be mounted on the bridge of the Erinyes.

As I accepted the plaque, I noted Ravage’s clenched fist nearly hidden against the folds of his robes and I reveled in his bitterness and envy.

“And last, but not least, our Lord Emperor offers this final token of his esteem. He stated, that the duty should be yours alone.”

A pair of Imperial guards carried the bound and gagged form of Grand Moff Zellos. The dark circles under his eyes, his sallow skin and hollow cheekbones suggested he had already served time with the Emperor. The guards secured him to the pyre and stepped away.

“Darth Marr, perhaps a few words in recognition of the occasion…”

I fixed my gaze first on Azamin and then Vengean. “Through unity…victory.” I flung the lit torchiere low on the pyre and walked away.

The confused whispers of those present followed me before the roar of the flames overcame them. Each Dark Council member tossed their torchiere onto the pyre, including the pair that should have burned with Zellos.

The fire blazed higher, black smoke rising in thick plumes to create a shimmering mirage before the citadel. Zellos’ muffled protests and writhing body stilled. Azamin and Vengean kept their distance as the others fell into their usual cliques. I turned my back to them. I had nothing to say, nor did I wish to entertain their false gratitude. I’d had my fill of the festivities.

The conductor urged the orchestra to resume the music program and had the sense to end on a solemn note.

Vowrawn approached, his steps measured by caution, as though he were approaching a feral beast.

He leaned in conspiratorially and kept his voice low. “Why don’t we continue our celebrations elsewhere. I must say the stench of burning flesh is overrated. I know of a far more…shall we say intimate and entertaining venue? Anyone who is anyone will be there…what do you say, hmm?”

I was about to decline when I sensed another presence behind us—Ravage.

Ravage threw back the hood of his ceremonial robes. “I know what his answer will be…it’s what it always is. Marr believes himself above the rest of us. I don’t understand why you even bother, Vowrawn. Leave him to his hubris and let us be off.”

“Indeed. Let us be off,” I grumbled and started for the waiting limousine hovering by the curb.

Vowrawn clapped his hands together and his mouth spread into a wide toothy grin. “Why Ravage, I do believe you’ve done it. Had I known reverse psychology would’ve convinced him to join us, I would have done it an age ago.”

Ravage scowled and I sensed his annoyance. Encouraging me to accompany them was the last thing he’d hoped to achieve. He kept his distance as he stripped away his robe and I sensed something else—he was hiding something—something he coveted—and something he feared to lose.

A light rain began to fall just as the limousine deposited us before a dark gleaming tower downtown. Servants dressed in elegant bespoke suits ushered us inside.

The club was lavishly appointed, silently boasting of its luxurious amenities. Tasteful and expensive art graced the walls and further inside, rare vintages of drink and spice lined the bar—but the most remarkable attraction of the club was neither its delicacies or furnishings—it was the bevy of alluring women, dressed in extravagant yet revealing clothing.

The club’s host led us past a ballroom and a spice den and a casino. Exotic scents wafted past us, but none were so overpowering as to jar the senses, nor were any appealing enough to summon my attention.

“Where are we going?”

Vowrawn leaned in to whisper. “We have a private wing—that caters solely to the Dark Council and our guests. If you were impressed by what you saw on our way in…wait until you see what awaits us.”

Ravage’s scowl hadn’t wavered since we’d left the citadel. “There’s a matter I must attend to before I join the celebration.”

He had retreated halfway down the corridor before we had a chance to acknowledge his excuses. Vowrawn chuckled and waved him away. “Ravage’s tastes are quite singular…not the best company to keep if you wish to sample everything, and knowing you, I think it’s high time you permitted yourself to savor the finer things, even if only for a night. You’ve more than earned it, come.”

Vowrawn paused here and there to grace a group with a witty quip or greeting as we walked. He was adored and he adored those who were present. He was in his element, a master of this excess filled domain—where he was fire, I was merely the smoke that shadowed it.

I followed him into the private wing—a darkened area dominated by firelight and heavy yet ornate furnishings. Sith art, tapestries, books, and holocrons lined the entry and further inside I detected massive ancient statuary polished to a high sheen.

Many of the Dark Council’s guests had arrived and a vast banquet table of delicacies had been set out to partake in. Women even more extraordinary in beauty and rarity circulated throughout the room, serving vintage spirits and appetizers.

Despite the opulence and undeniable allure of all that surrounded me, I wasn’t tempted by any of it—and when I was about to dismiss it and take my leave, I was struck by a familiar scent.

My mind raced to place it and Vowrawn’s prattle faded from my awareness. My gaze darted about the crowded room, searching for the source and my breath caught when I saw a familiar hairstyle—dark, glossy and elaborately coiled.

Vowrawn called out to me, but I let his summons fall unanswered.

I pushed through the crowd in pursuit. I lost sight of her and when my panic swelled, I would catch sight of her again.

The fragrance became more defined and my heart raced. I didn’t dare to hope, but the combined scent of fresh snow and the alpine flowers that rashed the mountainsides of Alderaan returned me to a world I hoped never to see again—only because I loved one of their own so fiercely, that her loss was a crime I could never forgive.

I swore. There were too many damn people and all of them in my way.

My pursuit was met with both stern and curious looks. Those who deigned to stop me were pushed aside and forgotten, their offended whispers irrelevant. I followed the petite brunette toward what I presumed were the kitchens.

If only she would turn around and allow me a glimpse of her face—then I would know if I was a fool.

A catering cart rolled through, blocking me from following. I scanned the layout of the room for another entry and bolted toward the corridor. I stormed down the hall, invading each room until I was certain she wasn’t there.

A door at the end of the hall, marked for ‘staff use only’ was my only hope. I threw back the door and was met with the horrified stares of the kitchen staff.

“Where is she? The brunette?”

The staff exchanged glances and the chef stepped forward. “My lord,” he bowed slightly. “The one that was here…returned to the lounge with her order…Apologies, but there are many women here.”

I abandoned the kitchen before the chef finished his apology. On my way back to the private wing, the host stopped me.

“My lord, is there something I could help you with?”

“The lounge…where is it?” I demanded. “Tell me! Now.”

“If you turn left at the end of that corridor, it lies just beyond the arboretum. Allow me to show you the way, my lord.”

“That’s not necessary.”

Seconds later I found myself in a room filled with trees and plants, waterfalls and birds with jewel coloured plumage.

I heard the clink of glasses from beyond the trees and raced through the palm grove with a singular purpose. The fronds brushed past me impeding my vision, but the scent told me I was close.

I swatted at the annoying branches but my hand caught and crashed a tray instead. Dainty goblets tumbled to the floor and a spray of amber and vermilion liquor sloshed across my armor. A bottle of Whyren’s Reserve tipped to its side and the amber-rose liquid inside wept over my boots and I found myself before her.

She was clad in gathered bands of demicot silk the same brown as her hair and eyes and a bejeweled slave collar adorned her throat.

She scrambled over the floor to rescue the bottle and the ruined spirits. Cautiously, she peered up at me. Her eyes grew wide and she gasped. Goose pimples spread over her exposed flesh like wildfire.

“Liaseph!”

Her body shriveled into itself with shame. Tears spilled over her lashes and her lip quaked. She snatched the tray and hugged it against her body and fled.

“Liaseph! Wait! It’s me…Liaseph!”

Before she could escape the arboretum, the manager of the lounge caught her arm and bent it at a sharp angle.

“You clumsy little fool. I’ll have you flogged for this!”

Liaseph recoiled and sobbed. He flung her to the floor and raised his fist to strike.

I reached out with the Force, my hand curling into a claw. The manager rose off his feet and gasped for breath. I tightened my grip and watched him flail until his face flushed a deep crimson.

“If anyone is to be flogged, it will be you,” I hissed.

The other patrons and their fawning slaves fled the lounge and arboretum and the thundering footfalls of the club’s security raced toward us.

I released the manager and watched disdainfully as he struggled to collect himself and catch his breath. “I want to see her owner. Now.”

The manager had the sense to leave quickly and curious onlookers began to filter back into the lounge. They kept their distance and whispered back and forth from their darkened corners.

I knelt to lift her to her feet and held her before me. “Liaseph…it’s me,” I murmured. For a moment the fear that all memory of me had been stripped away from her gripped me. Not a day or night passed that I hadn’t thought of her.

She stared at me, quailing in my arms. Her body trembled and I snatched an abandoned cloak from a nearby chair and wrapped it around her and held her close.

“Liaseph…say something,” I pleaded, the backs of my gloved hands playing over her cheek. “Have you forgotten?”

She shook her head quickly and glanced about suspiciously as if to determine whether anyone had seen it.

The host returned in the manager’s stead and bowed profusely. “If you will accompany me, Lord Marr. I’m sure any problem you might have can be resolved.”

“That remains to be seen,” I growled.

Masses of curious patrons and their slaves parted to allow us passage through the lounge and in the corridor.

I held Liaseph to my side, her body smaller and more fragile than I remembered.

She kept her eyes down and withdrew into her shoulders as we walked. Fear and shame roiled within her and the darkness in me jolted awake, their terrible hunger keenly aware of her presence.

The borrowed cloak slipped down and exposed her shoulder. I caught the material and rewrapped her more snugly.

She clutched the material fiercely to keep it in place.

The host lead us to an office in the northernmost corner of the building and indicated a pair of opulent chairs before a sleek black island of a desk.

“The owner…will be with you shortly.”

After the host left, I turned her face up. “Liaseph…look at me.”

“I-I can’t.” Her lips turned down miserably and she kept her gaze riveted to the floor.

“If you will not look at me, then listen.” I took her hands in mine. “Do you love me still?”

“I never stopped,” she whispered.

“Then that—is all that matters.”

The double doors behind us swung open and I whirled on the familiar presence.

“Vowrawn...” A moment’s confusion tainted my voice and then I understood—he was the owner.

He moistened his lips and for the first time, in all the years I’d known him, he wasn’t smiling.

“There are a few things I need for you to understand, old friend…” He tented his fingers and moistened his lips once more. “If…you’ll permit me.”

“Did you know?”

Vowrawn looked between us and swallowed hard.

My saber hand opened and closed at my side. “Answer me! Did you know she was mine? Choose your words carefully—whatever comes out of your mouth next will decide your fate.”

“No—not at first.” His voice quavered and sounded as if it had aged a decade in that moment. “I began to suspect something was wrong when Ravage banished her—”

“Ravage?! You gave her to Ravage?” I roared.

Liaseph sank to the floor by my feet and held herself. She rocked back and forth and covered her ears.

I reached out with the Force and snatched Vowrawn off his feet. The darkness leaked from my wrists and rose up to coil around him, each tendril constricting until his eyes bulged and his skin turned the colour of a rancid eggplant.

The room grew dark and the light flickered and went out. The emergency lighting kicked in, bathing the room with a dull red glow.

The chandelier vibrated and tinkled and then without warning every crystal shattered into dust.

Whispers echoed from the corners, each one growing louder than the last. The darkness churned and formed into dozens of skeletal rag-cloaked wraiths.

Liaseph shuddered and sobbed as the darkness closed in. Her ears remained shuttered against my wrath and the burgeoning whispers.

“Stop! Stop it!” She sobbed the words until they became a scream.

I released my hold on Vowrawn and watched him convulse on the floor as the wraiths hovered over him.

((to be continued…))

Oh how I've been waiting for this moment!! Exactly how I remembered it, which sounds odd but I mean from the brief retelling of the event in Foundation lol. Perfect.

I love the amount of detail you put into the parade from the barge to the music band, the kids in the street and the reaction of the crowd. The conversation between Vowrawn and Marr was very enjoyable, I love those two together despite everything... Vowrawn's like the giddy child full of wonder and crazy ideas while Marr's the grumpy parent who keeps on shutting him down. And who wouldn't end a parade like that, a medal ceremony, with a little barbecue? Very much deserved.

I also enjoyed the very limited and yet speaking volumes type of interaction that went on between Marr and Ravage.

And then the club... the second they went there I felt like I was searching the crowd too just waiting for Marr to spot Lia, for him to find her and though it's far from the ideal reunion between two lovers, I'm so thrilled that he did find her. And then her shame and frailty while he, he doesn't even seem to judge her or the situation she finds her in for a second, he just wants to hold her and love her and awww... but now Vowrawn's in hot waters and I love the way you described the scene, Vowrawn's reaction such a change from his usual behavior. Marr's anger rightfully terrifying and poor Lia in the middle of it all... fantastic chapter, really looking forward to next week.

*claps*

You had me at the edge of my seat. Great arc of suspense!

All those roiling emotions culminating in Marr's overwhelming outburst.

Vowrawn will no doubt wriggle his way out of this. Had he planned this meeting somehow? I am looking forward to his explanation.

And as happy as I am to see Marr has found Lia again, I cant' help but commiserate with her. While Marr's reaction is understandable the added fear and darkness is quite the opposite of what she needs right now. I hope her scream brought Marr back to his senses.

This will be a long week ;)

(Disclaimer: I love to have things to look forward to.)

Wow! I was at the edge of my seat the entire party scene, dreading that it WASN'T Liaseph and Marr was making a fool of himself. But it was and I am eagerly awaiting Marr to go on a rampage, you've got quite a job on your hands explaining how Vowrawn and Ravage survive Marr's wrath. As usual, you have done a fantastic job! Edited by De-mu-noki

I have been waiting for this and you did not disappoint. The detail of the parade was impressive, however what struck me most were two things. First, Marr's reflection on his unborn child when he saw the one dark haired boy playing, it was oddly touching, second, Marr's realization that mob adoration could be addictive and him reveling in it just long enough to realize that it was the narcotic of lesser men. He knows where he belongs, and, being Marr, he knows that he can never succumb to that siren song. Also, I love how you wove the Unfinished Colossus into the story. :D

I liked the entire buildup of his reunion with Liaseph with the search for her through the various rooms, I half expected for him to not find her or that it wasn't her at all, nicely done. I feel so badly for her, the shame she feels, and how much more fragile she has become. And Marr's reaction to her, so gentle and reassuring, until Vowrawn, of course. And Ravage, the bastard, banishing her to the lesser status, who knows what else she has gone through.

I have to agree with Frauzet, that the darkness is not what she needs now and it is probably her scream that saved Vowrawn's life. It will be interesting to hear his explanation, once the wraiths let him go, that is and Marr gains his self control. It will also be interesting to see the change in dynamics with how Marr faces Ravage and deals with Vowrawn in the future. As for Lia, she will be forever changed and Marr will have to deal with this as well.

A thoroughly exciting read, well worth the wait.

Oh how I've been waiting for this moment!! Exactly how I remembered it, which sounds odd but I mean from the brief retelling of the event in Foundation lol. Perfect.

I love the amount of detail you put into the parade from the barge to the music band, the kids in the street and the reaction of the crowd. The conversation between Vowrawn and Marr was very enjoyable, I love those two together despite everything... Vowrawn's like the giddy child full of wonder and crazy ideas while Marr's the grumpy parent who keeps on shutting him down. And who wouldn't end a parade like that, a medal ceremony, with a little barbecue? Very much deserved.

I also enjoyed the very limited and yet speaking volumes type of interaction that went on between Marr and Ravage.

And then the club... the second they went there I felt like I was searching the crowd too just waiting for Marr to spot Lia, for him to find her and though it's far from the ideal reunion between two lovers, I'm so thrilled that he did find her. And then her shame and frailty while he, he doesn't even seem to judge her or the situation she finds her in for a second, he just wants to hold her and love her and awww... but now Vowrawn's in hot waters and I love the way you described the scene, Vowrawn's reaction such a change from his usual behavior. Marr's anger rightfully terrifying and poor Lia in the middle of it all... fantastic chapter, really looking forward to next week.

Thanks :D I'm glad the parade worked out, it was meant to convey a few things I wanted to put across. The thing with Marr and Ravage is, that there doesn't really need to be a lot said, it's pretty plain that they hate each other, even in the game.

And yes, Vowrawn was forced to get quite serious in this chapter. Marr's wrath is quite a sobering thing to face. He's very aware and wary of the danger he's in. On some level the bugger still finds it exciting--but admittedly it's much more serious when your life is on the line. Vowrawn knows that he has to tread very carefully for the next little while. I'm really glad that you enjoyed it, and that the scene played out as you remembered. :)

*claps*

You had me at the edge of my seat. Great arc of suspense!

All those roiling emotions culminating in Marr's overwhelming outburst.

Vowrawn will no doubt wriggle his way out of this. Had he planned this meeting somehow? I am looking forward to his explanation.

And as happy as I am to see Marr has found Lia again, I cant' help but commiserate with her. While Marr's reaction is understandable the added fear and darkness is quite the opposite of what she needs right now. I hope her scream brought Marr back to his senses.

This will be a long week ;)

(Disclaimer: I love to have things to look forward to.)

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Marr doesn't blow up often, but when he does...yikes! Vowrawn...is Vowrawn, what can I say? Had he planned it...yes and no. To him this was another crank of the roulette wheel. If nothing would have come of Marr's time there...nothing would have come of it...but it did, the variables in the game have changed again, and Vowrawn is still playing--though the stakes are quite high at the moment. It's going to be a challenge to do the next parts, but I hope they'll be enjoyable and exciting. ^^

Wow! I was at the edge of my seat the entire party scene, dreading that it WASN'T Liaseph and Marr was making a fool of himself. But it was and I am eagerly awaiting Marr to go on a rampage, you've got quite a job on your hands explaining how Vowrawn and Ravage survive Marr's wrath. As usual, you have done a fantastic job!

Well, enough time and hardship had passed that it was time for the pay off. It's a fine line to know when the pay off has to come. I didn't want anyone throwing things and saying 'aw c'mon!' :D Besides the 'fake-out' is a trope that tends to be abused in many shows, movies and such these days. I won't lie, sorting this out the way it needs to fall, is going to be interesting lol. Thank you for the kind compliment, I'm glad you enjoyed it. ^^

I have been waiting for this and you did not disappoint. The detail of the parade was impressive, however what struck me most were two things. First, Marr's reflection on his unborn child when he saw the one dark haired boy playing, it was oddly touching, second, Marr's realization that mob adoration could be addictive and him reveling in it just long enough to realize that it was the narcotic of lesser men. He knows where he belongs, and, being Marr, he knows that he can never succumb to that siren song. Also, I love how you wove the Unfinished Colossus into the story. :D

I liked the entire buildup of his reunion with Liaseph with the search for her through the various rooms, I half expected for him to not find her or that it wasn't her at all, nicely done. I feel so badly for her, the shame she feels, and how much more fragile she has become. And Marr's reaction to her, so gentle and reassuring, until Vowrawn, of course. And Ravage, the bastard, banishing her to the lesser status, who knows what else she has gone through.

I have to agree with Frauzet, that the darkness is not what she needs now and it is probably her scream that saved Vowrawn's life. It will be interesting to hear his explanation, once the wraiths let him go, that is and Marr gains his self control. It will also be interesting to see the change in dynamics with how Marr faces Ravage and deals with Vowrawn in the future. As for Lia, she will be forever changed and Marr will have to deal with this as well.

A thoroughly exciting read, well worth the wait.

*beams* Thank you! And you picked up on precisely the things that I hoped would come across. That makes me very happy. I wanted to show a bit of Marr's humanity, what he's like before the darkness starts stripping his humanity away. He's already lost quite a bit of it, but hasn't realized yet. It's funny how that sort of thing can creep up on a person. As for the Unfinished Colossus...well, that part amused me, that Vowrawn would make this huge statue in the jungle and I wanted to work in the hows and whys of it. It's such an important part of the SW experience on DK.

I'm pretty sure Liaseph is much harder on herself than Marr would ever be. She's thoroughly entrenched in shame and guilt and it's a toss up over which is damaging her more. It's going to be hard to do that bit of psychology justice, but I'll do my best. There is a lot that needs to be said by just about everyone and it's going to be like walking a razor's edge to accomplish what needs to be done in a believable manner.

Thanks again for the lovely comment, it means a lot and I'm glad you're enjoying it and that you felt it was worth waiting for. I really worried it would be late coming out this week (and it was by a few hours).

Thanks everyone! <3

Edited by Lunafox

Marr

~Chapter Thirty-Three~

Cunning is the ability to hide your own weakness while learning another’s.

I was one with the darkness. The world fell away, leaving only the insatiable hunger that demanded the life at my feet.

The darkness chafed against what remained of my self-control. It craved Vowrawn’s corruption and genius and my rage demanded an outlet the darkness was all too willing to provide.

Vowrawn writhed like a soilworm drowning in the rain. The whites of his eyes flashed, the brightness rivaling only that of his gnashed teeth.

The temptation to end him was too powerful to deny.The wraiths descended upon him in a thick black swarm.

His body shuddered, ribs creaking under the crushing burden of the feeding wraiths. His skin paled to reveal the depths of his depravity. The shadows orbiting his eyes gave him the appearance of a skull.

I’d always known Vowrawn was vain and spent considerable power to preserve his appearance, but to what degree, had always been as much of a mystery as what lay beneath my mask.

His breath rattled up his windpipe with every labored breath he drew. Somewhere beyond the swirling darkness and flying debris, I heard a scream.

Liaseph threw herself in front of Vowrawn. “Stop! You’re killing him!”

“He stole your freedom—stole you away from me—yet you defend him. Why?” I snapped.

“Why? Why?!” She glared at me, her gaze incredulous through her tears. “Because those things,” she flung an accusing finger at the wraiths, “they’re not who you are.”

“No, Liaseph. You’re mistaken. This is precisely who I am—who I always have been—and always will be.”

She crossed her arms stubbornly and her brows pinched, framing her gaze with dismay. “I don’t believe that.”

Her eyes wounded me. “Then it's time you did.”

“Ares…please. I’m begging you—let him go.”

Her voice was barely a whisper now, but it wasn’t what she said or how she said it that reached me; it was the way she looked at me—something in her eyes kindled my humanity. The memory of her touch and tenderness awakened a forgotten hunger, the warmth and light of it testing my resolve.

The darkness recoiled at my summons, not nearly so eager to return to the body that caged it as it had been to leave it.

Vowrawn groaned and his head lolled to the right. Liaseph darted to his side and took his hand, warming it between hers. “He needs a medic.”

I nodded once but didn’t move from where I stood. Liaseph’s scent mingled with the air current as she scurried past me to fetch help. I drew a deep breath, savoring the fill of my lungs as if a long time had passed since I’d breathed deeply. How she could forgive his crimes was beyond my understanding.

I could not.

Vowrawn’s chest rose and fell in a steady rhythm but he didn’t stir. Without his grandiose gestures and flamboyance, he appeared leaner and more brittle than he did when he was conscious.

The darkness whispered inside my head, demanding I finish him now that we were alone. I considered the merits of the idea, but before I could decide one way or the other, Liaseph returned with the medical droid in tow.

“He’s over here. He—fainted. We’re not sure why, ” Liaseph added quickly. “That’s why I got you straightaway,” she explained to the droid.

She averted her eyes and crossed her fingers behind her back as if this would somehow give credence to her lie. In truth, I was stunned that she felt the necessity to lie for me at all. Perhaps self-preservation in a place such as this demanded it. Truth was a luxury only the Sith could afford, and yet few indulged in it.

The droid dutifully scanned Vowrawn’s body and injected a course of stims against the side of his throat. If it noticed the pulverized chandelier or the fine dusting of glass crumbs over the enormous black desk, it was clever enough not to let on.

Vowrawn’s flesh began to change from an ashen white back to the colour of faded wine.

After a final stim to Vowrawn’s chest, the droid straightened and repacked its bag. “It would appear the master is suffering from acute enervation and diminished blood oxygen levels. I have stabilized his condition and recommend fluids and bed rest for the next two solar days. He should regain consciousness presently. Shall I summon security?”

“No, that won’t be necessary. Thank you, IC-U1.”

The droid’s designation rankled me and my glare followed it out. I prodded Vowrawn’s side with the toe of my boot hard enough to rock his body. “Everything is a damn game to you, isn’t it,” I muttered, half expecting him to wake with his usual inane smile and scoffing laughter.

Vowrawn didn’t respond and I turned my back to him. The darkness hissed in my mind and I shuttered it away with the Force.

Liaseph flung herself against me, somehow wheedling into my arms. She pressed her body as close to mine as my armor would allow and closed her eyes.

The once familiar warmth of her body seemed foreign after so long an absence. Undaunted, she persisted in holding me, thin arms gripping tight against my sides, as though she understood that she was all that anchored my dwindling humanity.

I drew a deep breath and trapped her in my arms, my right hand cupping the back of her head. My anger dissipated and I was transported to another night—our first under the star filled Alderaanian sky.

The memories of what we were coursed through me, resurrecting all that I felt for her, and in that moment, I wondered, if perhaps we were each holding onto the best of the other to keep it from slipping away.

She would never fully understand what I was or accept it. I would need to keep secret the power that fuelled me—defined me—but for her, I would strive to preserve her illusion of me.

“I thought I’d never see you again,” she whispered against my chest. “I can’t believe you’re really here, after all this time.”

“Nor I,” I managed. There was much I wanted to say—needed to say—and dreamt of saying, but the words fell short, inadequate to all that I felt.

“What is it?” She reached up to trace the grooves etched into my mask and smiled meekly. She struggled to keep her eyes on mine but lost the battle.

I lifted her chin and raised her gaze to meet mine. I wouldn’t allow shame to rule her. “Not a day has passed, when I didn’t imagine this moment…but now—now that it’s upon us, I’m at a loss for words.”

Her lips bowed with a smile. “We only need three—I love you.”

“And I, you. I love you more than I can prove.”

We clung to one another like survivors who had narrowly escaped a catastrophe. We were home, but in the way that no physical domicile could define. All that we needed, we had in each other, but the moment wasn’t to last.

Vowrawn stirred and when he came to, he used a chair to steady himself enough to stand.

Liaseph rushed to his side. “My lord, you shouldn’t be standing…please rest.” She abandoned him long enough to fetch the chair from behind his desk and position it behind him.

“My dear, you truly are a treasure, but I’m far more robust than it would appear.” He cupped her face and smiled, his thumb skimming the apple of her cheek.

He sat and she doted on him, fetching him a blanket and then water. The way she served him bred questions in my mind that I didn’t want to consider. She knelt before him and he petted her hair. “I’ll be all right, Liaseph. I assure you.”

“Don’t be so certain of that, Vowrawn,” I warned.

When she was certain he needed for nothing else, she returned to me. She dropped her gaze to the floor and clasped her elbows.

“It would seem, we’ve both had our share of secrets,” Vowrawn wheezed, his voice still hoarse.

“Don’t patronize me, Vowrawn. I’ve no interest in your secrets or your slaving empire or the war you orchestrated in order to seize it. The only reason you still live is because she desired it. You will free her and you will do so, now.”

“Loathe as I am to part with her—she truly is a rare and most exquisite gem—she is yours and she is free to go.”

“It’s not that simple, Vowrawn. I demand restitution on her behalf. She will have her own wealth, and you will release her in writing. No one will dare impugn her character or her status as a free citizen of the Empire. No one. Not you. And certainly not Ravage.”

“I understand you, loud and clear. Had I known…I can assure you, that neither of you would have endured this unpleasantness.”

“But you did know. Shall I summon Broysc? Or perhaps Ravage’s bounty hunter Vex?”

“Dear me—you’ve certainly stepped up your game. Well done. I’m proud of you.” Vowrawn clapped slowly and the inane smile I was accustomed to seeing, returned. His colour had almost returned to normal. He shifted his chair behind his desk and took up a data pad. After a moment’s thought, he tapped several keys and offered the pad back to me.

“I trust that will suffice?”

I eyed the figure and passed the device to Liaseph. She glanced at the pad and pushed it back at me dismissively.

She dropped her face into her hands and wept.

“Clearly it doesn’t.” I slid the device back to Vowrawn.

He swallowed and re-entered a new figure and passed it back. Liaseph glanced at it and held herself. “You don’t understand…three hundred million credits won’t restore what I’ve lost. No amount will. I was a lady and I lost something precious to me…” she hesitated, quickly biting back her words before she revealed too much. She averted her gaze. “I can never forget the filth that…that…touched me.”

Vowrawn stood. “My dear Liaseph. You are every bit a lady still—never doubt. That much has never changed and never will. There are qualities in a person…in a woman—that no adversity will ever take away, and you have those qualities in abundance. But if it helps, I know a ritual—it’s quite simple really…I could make you forget…”

She shook her head slowly. “Everything that’s happened is a part of me now—I would be at a disadvantage if I were to forget that I was capable of surviving such horrors. Can we leave now? Please?”

“Of course, one moment.” Vowrawn prepared the final documentation and transfer of funds and passed it to her. “You will be missed, my dear.”

“Goodbye my lord.” Liaseph curtsied and bowed her head. She kept her eyes lowered like a proper slave, and I mourned the haughty defiance I’d come to love about her on Alderaan.

I resettled the cloak over her shoulders and she took my arm.

I paused by the door and glanced back at Vowrawn. “Whatever we were, we’re finished, Vowrawn. Cross me again, and not even her grace will earn you my mercy.”

“Understood. I quite take your meaning. But before you go—there is one more thing.” He tapped the tip of his index finger against his chin. “Are you not the least bit curious as to the Jedi’s fate and Ravage’s involvement in it?”

“No. I’m not.”

Liaseph paused and looked between us. “Who is Lord Vowrawn referring to? Is he talking about Master Rylister by chance? Where is he? Is he all right?” Her eyes grew round and her grip tightened about my wrist.

There would be no keeping the truth from her, that much I realized.

Vowrawn rounded his desk and leaned against the front of it, his arms folded over his chest, and feet crossed at the ankles. “All I can tell you is that he’s on Korriban—but he no longer responds to that name.”

“What does that mean, my lord?”

“It means he’s becoming Sith,” I muttered.

Liaseph shook her head. “No! You can’t allow that to happen. It’ll destroy him. The Jedi Code—it’s his life.”

Silently, I cursed Vowrawn and his renewed attempt to draw us into his intrigues.

“I’m afraid that’s no longer true. He doesn’t answer to the Jedi Order any longer.”

“So who does he answer to?” Liaseph blurted.

“Why to Darth Ravage, of course. He’s his new master.”

“I can’t believe this is happening.” Liaseph cupped her forehead.

“Don’t test me, Vowrawn. I won’t be a party to your schemes. If you attempt any contact outside of council concerns, I will end you—that is my oath to you.” I jabbed my index finger in his direction and swept Liaseph out of his office.

“You can’t allow this to go on. He needs our help. We have to get him out…send him home to the temple on Coruscant,” Liaseph protested.

“We have much to discuss, but I will not do it here.”

Pockets of curious onlookers whispered in the halls and fell silent as we passed. The party in the private wing had resumed, cantina music leaking into the corridor and then I sensed the one presence that incensed me more than Vowrawn.

Ravage.

((to be continued…))

I am in awe of Liaseph. I understand her tending to Vowrawn after he recovered was out of servitude mostly but while Marr had him dead to rights, she owed him nothing and still came in between despite all the pain and damage he's caused her... that woman is a whole lot stronger than she realizes. I have a feeling though she's in for a rough ride yet between who Marr's become and Ravage who I don't suspect will let her go quite as easily as Vowrawn did.

Speaking of which... I felt bad for Vowrawn. I shouldn't, he more than had it coming and the suffering he caused Liaseph is unforgivable but, ergh. In any case I was glad to see him recover and when he fully returned to his own self again and this happened; "“Dear me—you’ve certainly stepped up your game. Well done. I’m proud of you.” Vowrawn clapped slowly and the inane smile I was accustomed to seeing, returned." I kinda grinned far too big lol. I mean he's an as.s but he's a masterful as.s, you've got to appreciate it. :o

Marr was sublime too between his reactions to Liaseph, standing up for her and protecting her yet the sorrow he displayed when he said "and I mourned the haughty defiance I’d come to love about her on Alderaan." and his threats towards Vowrawn, not to mention the very last line where he sensed Ravage... perfect.

Gonna be tough times ahead for Marr and Lia, he's got her back but there's a lot of damage and pain too... can't wait to read more, excellent chapter Luna!

The entire reunion continues to be so bittersweet. I feel that Liaseph has seen so much misery and been through so much (especially with the loss of her baby), she just can't take one more thing. This goes beyond the pandering to every man's whim, which she probably now accepts as just another day. But this is another level altogether, particularly when her beloved Marr is the cause of inflicting such pain, and the horror of the wraiths. I don't think she can stand her image of him to be shattered. Yes, it is partially programming of servitude, but I think it goes much deeper than that. I do admire the fact that she refused to have her memory wiped, that is true character.

I would have been sad if you had killed off Vowrawn, but you didn't and he really had it coming. Payment comes due for everyone eventually, and his jig was certainly up. Perhaps he will not be so cavalier around Marr now, although I doubt it with his rather usual quips. It did do me good to see Marr hit him in the wallet however, he does so love accumulating and keeping wealth.

I fear that Liaseph and Marr will encounter tough times, and now that Rylister is thrown back into the mix, it should prove interesting. And of course the last word, when Marr senses Ravage, can't wait for that showdown.

Hehe, I did love the name of the medical droid, it gave me a chuckle. Good one. :D Oh, I do pay attention to your italicized openers, they are always insightful.

Another marvelous entry, a week will surely pass too slowly for the next update.

I am in awe of Liaseph. I understand her tending to Vowrawn after he recovered was out of servitude mostly but while Marr had him dead to rights, she owed him nothing and still came in between despite all the pain and damage he's caused her... that woman is a whole lot stronger than she realizes. I have a feeling though she's in for a rough ride yet between who Marr's become and Ravage who I don't suspect will let her go quite as easily as Vowrawn did.

Speaking of which... I felt bad for Vowrawn. I shouldn't, he more than had it coming and the suffering he caused Liaseph is unforgivable but, ergh. In any case I was glad to see him recover and when he fully returned to his own self again and this happened; "“Dear me—you’ve certainly stepped up your game. Well done. I’m proud of you.” Vowrawn clapped slowly and the inane smile I was accustomed to seeing, returned." I kinda grinned far too big lol. I mean he's an as.s but he's a masterful as.s, you've got to appreciate it. :o

Marr was sublime too between his reactions to Liaseph, standing up for her and protecting her yet the sorrow he displayed when he said "and I mourned the haughty defiance I’d come to love about her on Alderaan." and his threats towards Vowrawn, not to mention the very last line where he sensed Ravage... perfect.

Gonna be tough times ahead for Marr and Lia, he's got her back but there's a lot of damage and pain too... can't wait to read more, excellent chapter Luna!

Thank you! :) You know, Liaseph continues to surprise me as well. When I wrote Foundation, she didn't strike me as being particularly strong, but then, I also know what happens along the way, so it will be interesting to see if the opinion of her changes over time. I'm happy though that she's coming across as a relatively strong character. ^^

Vowrawn is evil in his own way. He wasn't going to let it all go peacably. He had to throw that one last log on the fire as they're leaving, knowing that this will cause friction and issues. He knows enough about her, that she probably won't let it go. He's going to kick back now, and watch to see what happens, because there are possibilities...and being the consummate people watcher that Vowrawn is, I'm sure he's going to delight in winding them up and watching them go. He's such a chaotic bastard lol.

I'm glad you enjoyed Marr as well. Though one thing that came up that surprised even me, was that unspoken thought about when he was watching her serve Vowrawn...he tries not to, but can't help wonder if she was with him as well. That's the thing in this situation, there will always be men, and he will always wonder if they 'knew' her.

They are in for a rough road ahead. Ravage isn't one to let go...he's pretty addicted to her. Ravage is...well...evil. That's all I'm going to say about that for now lol.

The entire reunion continues to be so bittersweet. I feel that Liaseph has seen so much misery and been through so much (especially with the loss of her baby), she just can't take one more thing. This goes beyond the pandering to every man's whim, which she probably now accepts as just another day. But this is another level altogether, particularly when her beloved Marr is the cause of inflicting such pain, and the horror of the wraiths. I don't think she can stand her image of him to be shattered. Yes, it is partially programming of servitude, but I think it goes much deeper than that. I do admire the fact that she refused to have her memory wiped, that is true character.

I would have been sad if you had killed off Vowrawn, but you didn't and he really had it coming. Payment comes due for everyone eventually, and his jig was certainly up. Perhaps he will not be so cavalier around Marr now, although I doubt it with his rather usual quips. It did do me good to see Marr hit him in the wallet however, he does so love accumulating and keeping wealth.

I fear that Liaseph and Marr will encounter tough times, and now that Rylister is thrown back into the mix, it should prove interesting. And of course the last word, when Marr senses Ravage, can't wait for that showdown.

Hehe, I did love the name of the medical droid, it gave me a chuckle. Good one. :D Oh, I do pay attention to your italicized openers, they are always insightful.

Another marvelous entry, a week will surely pass too slowly for the next update.

Thank you! ^^ Sadly yes, it is bittersweet, and any happiness they do enjoy will be fleeting. :( Sometimes I feel like a horrible person for subjecting them to this, but the story has been this way in my head forever. It is, what it is.

She has gone through a lot, and will go through much more, I'm looking forward to playing that out and see if opinions about the woman change much.

Vowrawn had it coming. It was easier to get Marr to back off, because they'd had such a history...they were friends, as much as Sith can be. With Ravage...it's different. They were never friends, always rivals. It actually worries me a bit, this business about Ravage.

Vowrawn will always be Vowrawn, as I said to Jenny above, that he couldn't resist tossing another shrimp on the barbie lol. Marr knows something of her loss, so demanding restitution was something he felt would help, but knows it would never completely mend things, or the loss they feel.

The med droid was a bit of fun, and I could totally see Vowrawn doing that, he has a penchant for doing funny names with his droids, especially the med droids. IC-U8 earlier in the story and IC-U1 in this chapter. Intensive Care Unit...he hee. I kill myself. *slaps knee* :D

I'm glad you enjoy the italicized openers. Those things can be a pain in the butt sometimes. I usually leave them blank until the end and am paranoid as heck that one week, I'll forget and the story will be posted with 'Marrism goes here...' LOL.

I'm glad you enjoyed Marr as well. Though one thing that came up that surprised even me, was that unspoken thought about when he was watching her serve Vowrawn...he tries not to, but can't help wonder if she was with him as well. That's the thing in this situation, there will always be men, and he will always wonder if they 'knew' her.

Mmhm, that's what I see as part of the tough road ahead for them. Now I don't take Marr as the kind of man who'll hyperfocus on such a thing but the thought that he may often find himself in the presence of others who've had a taste of Lia will likely linger in his subconscious, sometimes more so than other times and for Lia, no matter how much Vowrawn clears her name and status... she will always know, she will always remember. She may find herself out and about in DK and confronted with a past 'customer' which would be hard on her too. Wouldn't blame her much if she became a shut-in. I think I blame Vowrawn more for the psychological trauma he's inflicted on them both than any physical part if that makes sense.

Mmhm, that's what I see as part of the tough road ahead for them. Now I don't take Marr as the kind of man who'll hyperfocus on such a thing but the thought that he may often find himself in the presence of others who've had a taste of Lia will likely linger in his subconscious, sometimes more so than other times and for Lia, no matter how much Vowrawn clears her name and status... she will always know, she will always remember. She may find herself out and about in DK and confronted with a past 'customer' which would be hard on her too. Wouldn't blame her much if she became a shut-in. I think I blame Vowrawn more for the psychological trauma he's inflicted on them both than any physical part if that makes sense.

No, I don't see him being the sort to do that either. It may plague him, but he'd never say it to her or about her. She does eventually become a shut in sort, but for slightly different reasons. And yes, Vowrawn, he is the sort to inflict psychological damage but unlike Ravage he does it in a very overt and painful way, Vowrawn is more subtle. You don't know you're ruined until you are. Sometimes you don't even realize it--it just becomes who you are, and that's what the case with Liaseph is, her perception of her own self worth has been destroyed, and I think that will become more obvious with time. :/

Marr

~Chapter Thirty-Four~

The expected is our constant, but it is the unexpected that gives it value.

Ravage strode down the hall in pursuit. Whether it was my growing agitation or the familiarity of his footfalls that drove her to glance over her shoulder, I’ll never know. Her breath caught at the sight of him and she looked away quickly, the pensive look in her eyes suggesting that she hoped he hadn’t noticed her; but it was too late. He had noticed—long before she’d noticed him.

“Wings of the thranta,” she huffed, “not this, not now.” She quickened her pace almost to the point of breaking step away from me. Her cheeks flushed and she raised her right hand to visor her face from the leering patrons lining the hall.

“Liaseph! Stop! I demand to know where you’re going,” Ravage barked.

My body tensed. “I’ll deal with him, once and for all.”

Liaseph’s grip on my forearm tightened. “No. Please don’t. Those things…you barely came back to me before. I can’t lose you to them. Let’s just go. Please?” She tugged hard on my elbow and I gave in to her wishes.

We continued toward the front entrance as if Ravage didn’t exist to us. The host bowed as we passed.

“My Lord Ravage, is there a problem?” The host fawned and followed at his elbow. Ravage ignored the foppish young man, his attention fixed on Liaseph alone.

“Liaseph! You can’t leave! I won’t allow it!” Ravage bellowed, loud enough to attract the attention of anyone within earshot. “To me…this instant!”

She curled into my side and buried her face against me. “Why can’t anything ever be easy,” she mewled. I held her to my side and coiled my arm about her protectively but Ravage’s outbursts had become impossible to ignore.

The double doors stood braced open to the street. The gauzy curtains in the foyer fluttered with the breeze wafting in, while the sounds of revelry on the crowded street competed with the diminishing noise inside. It seemed no casino, spice or spirit held the same intrigue as the scene unfolding inside the club. The hall swelled with the curious and they crept ever closer like a lava flow.

Despite the light rain and pale jags of lightning overhead, the streets remained congested as the celebrations continued. The limousine I’d arrived in remained by the curb and upon seeing our approach, the chauffeur droid threw back the rear doors and stood at attention.

“Liaseph!” Ravage bellowed. “You can’t leave! You’re mine.”

“Go to the car—now,” I murmured.

Liaseph nodded and didn’t argue. She drew up the hood of the borrowed cloak and sprinted toward the safety of the waiting limousine. She slid into the rear seat and the droid shut the door behind her.

Not a moment passed before Liaseph rolled the window down to peer out over the tinted transparasteel.

Ravage drew his lightsaber but didn’t ignite it. “She’s mine, Marr. My claim supersedes yours. Return her at once.”

I whirled on him. “No, Ravage. She was never yours—and as of today she is a free citizen of the Empire.” My saber hand flexed involuntarily, the hilt responding to my unspoken summons.

Ravage snorted. “I paid for her. I know her. You spent all of a month with her—I’ve been with her for over a year.”

“Against her will.”

“She was leased to me exclusively!”

“Speak to Vowrawn if you feel cheated.”

“He had no right to sell her to you. I have a binding contract!”

“I didn’t buy her, I freed her. She chose to be with me—then and now.” My lightsaber growled to life and I brandished it, leveling the tip toward his chest in warning. “If you even think of encroaching on her, you will die.”

Ravage ignited his blade. “You dare threaten me?” He seized the offensive and jabbed low at my knees.

I deflected his blade and matched him move for move. As the exchanges blazed between us, I receded toward the doors until I stood upon the threshold. “You’re making a fool of yourself, Ravage.”

The host held his hands up in surrender and winced. “Gentlemen—my lords, please…if you must persist, take your disagreement outside.”

The host’s pleas were lost under the savage growls of our sputtering lightsabers, and as we moved beyond the confines of the club to the rain-slicked esplanade, so did the lingering spectators.

Our colliding blades hissed as we traded blows, each maneuver, a blur of motion. The relentless back and forth continued between us and the throng swelled outward to avoid our gnashing blades as they swung with a preternatural speed.

Ravage was a skilled duellist, more so than either Vowrawn or Taxon—or for that matter, any other who’d challenged me over the years. His prowess with the blade rivaled my own—a fact he’d kept well hidden over the years.

I swiped at his legs and he leapt high to avoid the strike. The darkness raged within me, a growing tempest begging to be unleashed. I drew strength and speed from it as I claimed the offensive over Ravage to drive him back toward the club’s entrance.

“She’ll never be yours. Never!” Ravage hissed. “I’ll see to that.”

Tempting as it was to trade barbs, I chose to let them fall unanswered and focused on driving him against the wall.

He guessed my goal all too easily and rolled to place himself behind me. I spun around and our blades locked again. Light ground against light, the blades skimming each other like lovers. I drove back his advances until he stood with his back to the door.

The darkness writhed inside me, whispering its warnings—warnings I chose to ignore in favor of rolling my wrist with enough precision and speed to disarm Ravage.

His lightsaber flew from his grip and tumbled end over end, the blade fizzling as it clattered across the esplanade.

I sensed him reaching for the blade with the Force but the darkness captured it first. I snatched the hilt from the inky fog and ignited it across my own blade, Ravage scissored between them.

“This ends now,” I snarled.

Ravage growled, his teeth gritted with effort. I sensed his tug on my mind, as he attempted to steal my control over the darkness.

I threw my wrists apart to bisect his torso but instead felt a savage stinging burn smashing through my chest, not once, but twice.

At that precise moment, Ravage dropped to his knee to avoid the death blow, and in so doing, also avoided being struck by the round exiting the front plate of my armor to lodge in the wall beside him.

I staggered. Blood stained my armor and flowed down my back to my hips and over my abdomen, saturating the cortosis weave underlay.

The round trapped inside my body ground through muscle and tendon, forcing its way through my organs. These were no ordinary plasma bolts—they were far worse.

A shrill scream registered in the back of my mind—Liaseph.

Ravage’s eyes grew round and he scrambled to his feet, his gaze panning over the fleeing crowd.

My hands grew numb and my heart raced. I dropped his lightsaber and backed away. I clutched my chest and coughed. Blood bubbled up into my mouth and dribbled to my chin underneath my mask. A sharp pain sucked away all the air in my lungs.

Ravage took cover behind the doorway with a peculiar uncertainty I’d never seen in him before.

Vowrawn appeared behind him and after a brief exchange, Vowrawn’s personal security detail stormed through to clear a path. I shuffled behind them toward the limousine. Darkness clouded my sight and unless I relied on the Force I knew I would die. I pushed onward across the esplanade, my limbs growing sluggish and weak. A cold sweat beaded over my face and spots riddled my vision.

To my horror, Liaseph had left the safety of the limousine and fought her way through the crowd to reach me. I lost sight of her amid the dark armored troopers.

Fear rolled through the crowd, screams, and panic driving them to stampede in any free direction. I fed off their terror, using the strength to force my failing lungs and heart to function.

The security force battered those in their way, and with Liaseph in sight, I collapsed to my knees.

Two of Vowrawn’s guards accompanied Ravage as he swept toward those that weren’t quick enough to escape the mayhem.

Liaseph appeared at my side and kept me from falling. “You’re—you’re bleeding!” She glanced down at her stained hands. “Someone…please help us!”

Ravage stopped but didn’t turn around. After a moment’s hesitation, he vanished into the crowd.

“Someone help!” She cried out again, her voice lost in the scuffle. She tugged at my elbow. “Can you stand? I can’t lift you…”

I shook my head and gagged on my own blood. The words to reassure her wouldn’t come, only more blood. I took her hand and pressed it to my chest plate. Liaseph winced.

“You can’t die. You can’t leave me!”

The sensation of thousands of needles sticking me all at once ran from my face to my legs. I sensed Vowrawn’s presence behind me and tried in vain to stand.

Liaseph looked up. “Lord Vowrawn…what’s the meaning of this?”

“The meaning, my dear, we will discuss elsewhere. For now, it is imperative that you return to the car for you own safety. Instruct the droid to take you to Lord Marr’s stronghold and have it com his medics to prepare to receive him. Surgery will be needed. Hurry now.”

“I can’t just leave him!”

“Not to worry, my men and I will see to him. We will be right behind you.”

My heart shuddered, each series of beats more erratic than the last. The troopers had deteriorated into black formless mobs as they lifted me onto a stretcher, Vowrawn’s face the last I saw before darkness took over.

Without warning, I found myself on the Forcetide beach once more, but this time, I stood a mere arm's length from the void.

The past clung to me and I passed my hands over my chest where the exit wound had been. The armor no longer curled and no blood dribbled over the spiked metal. I stood as I had stood before and gazed into the void.

Inky black, it shimmered like water. I sensed a presence on the other side, but could not see who it was. There was a quiet strength there, fuelled by the same determination I knew—neither of us wished to surrender to the void, and I understood now, it was not the void that spoke to me, but another seeking to avoid its judgment. An ally, perhaps—or perhaps a deception. The darkness clouded everything.

“I told you…I will never surrender.” I tasted no blood when I spoke. My voice boomed across the void.

“And I told you, I will not fight you,” the even emotionless voice asserted.

I was able to determine the voice was female—calm, patient, yet it carried with it the barb of authority. I reached out to the void but pulled back before my hand could breach the slick surface.

“There is more to see; more to learn. Go now and discover the truths that elude you.We will meet when the time is right,” the voice said.

A blinding light overcame the Forcetide beach and the past pulled me back to my fleshy cage.

I felt—different. My heart beat was measured, placid—synthetic. It was too perfect, too impassive. My blood moved as it was meant to move, but the engine that pumped it was no longer my own.

A Sith’s heart is the cage that binds his passion, and now that was lost to me.

I became aware of my breathing next. Air filled my lungs, left them, and returned, but the sensation had changed there too. They were closely matched twins, but one of them was an imposter. The Force lingered on the surface of the new lung rather than permeating it as it did the rest of my organs.

I sensed I was not alone and though I was not yet conscious, I listened to the voices above me.

“Lord Vowrawn…it’s been almost a week. Why won’t he wake? Shouldn’t he have regained consciousness by now?” Liaseph whispered.

“I should think soon—but you must consider this—even one as strong as he, will need time to grow accustomed to the cybernetic heart and the lung replacement. Even though the lung is his own tissue cloned, I would think a period of adjustment will be needed.”

“I’m afraid for him. He looks so pale…and these dark veins on his face…are they from the surgery?”

“No. That is an effect of the dark side. The more we rely on it—the more mastery we gain over it—the higher the price it exacts from our physical form. Many of us keep our true faces hidden…it changes us within and without.”

“But I don’t want him to change. I’m afraid I’ll lose him. He’s all I have.”

“Now, now, don’t look so disconcerted, my dear. He will recover, and why shouldn’t he, when he has the most delightful motivation to do so right here by his side.”

Liaseph didn’t answer.

“Something else seems to be troubling you…perhaps I can ease your mind?”

“Has Imperial Intelligence discovered who’s responsible? Do they have any suspects in custody?”

“I had rather hoped to spare you these details, but I do understand your curiosity. Darth Ravage arrested a man the day of the attempt.”

“Why would he help us to capture the assassin?”

“We Sith have many enemies, the more powerful we are, the more enemies we have. It is up to the Dark Council to eradicate these threats. I know things didn’t end well between you, but I assure you, he is doing only that which is expected of him, no more, no less.”

“I see. So who is this man? Why would he do this?”

“Our captive is an SIS agent—by the name of Torin Zane. It would seem Supreme Chancellor Berooken dispatched a husband and wife team to eliminate the more dangerous members of our hierarchy—as to the why, well, no other Sith has done so much damage to the Republic as Marr.”

“What about the woman, is she still at large?”

“To my understanding, she managed to flee before the parade—she is wanted for the Intelligence assassinations last year. We had mistakenly believed she was working alone.”

Before…I’m relieved to hear you say that, my lord,” she said slyly. “Otherwise, it might have seemed that Ares was being used to bait her. What assassin can resist a parade? Is it not the perfect venue for an assassination?”

“And so it is. I do enjoy the way your mind works, my dear. Had you been born with the Force, I daresay you would have made a most fascinating and cunning Sith.”

“Why is Zane still alive? I thought Sith tended to execute their prisoners quickly.”

“True, we do at that, but this man is SIS and has a wealth of intelligence worth extracting, I’ve no doubt Ravage will delight in plucking every strand of information from his mind. If it’s any consolation, I’m sure it will be quite a slow and painful process.”

“I’m sure,” Liaseph hissed.

“For what it’s worth,” Vowrawn hesitated, “I believe he cared about you—in his own way.”

“There was a time, I might’ve almost believed that, my lord.”

“Well…no need to dwell on the past. The end of a game is rarely as exciting as the prospect of a new one, don’t you agree?”

“As you say, my lord.”

“Marr is a fortunate man…I envy him.”

“I don’t know what I would have done without your help—thank you—for all you’ve done for him—for us.”

“I’m only repaying a debt owed. You are an extraordinary woman, Liaseph—you risked yourself to protect me. Were I in your place, I’m not certain I would have been so gracious, so it is I who should be thanking you.”

“You’re too kind, my lord.”

“I have but one regret, dear lady—and that—is that I did not keep you for myself.”

“My lord…please…I—” she protested and a soft gasp escaped her.

A moment of tender silence passed between them and I cursed my inability to wake.

“And on that note,” Vowrawn whispered, “I shall take my leave of you. He will wake, and when he does, I’d prefer to be well ensconced in a round of pazaak—elsewhere. I’ll show myself out.”

“May the force, serve you well, my lord.”

“Until we meet again—Lady Liaseph.”

The bed sank as she settled next to me and I felt the warmth of her hand over mine and her breath and hair tickled my neck. She sniffled and moisture beaded on my shoulder.

“Ares…please wake up…I love you.”

The light grew more persistent under my lashes and I woke. “And I you…” I whispered.

“You’re awake!” She propped herself on her elbow and caressed my cheek. “I was so scared. Are you all right? Are you in pain? Can I get you anything?”

I stroked her cheek with the backs of my fingers. “No—all that I need…I have here.”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

That was a VERY exciting chapter! I was surprised that Ravage was almost as good a duelist as Marr....so that kept the action very tense even though I was sure Marr had to prevail in the end. What I never expected was for an unknown assassin to strike Marr down and very nearly kill him! Thank goodness Vowrawn came to the rescue, although that was very odd since he was the one that took Liaseph to begin with! That man is truly a puzzle in many ways:)

As always, your storytelling skills are flawless, and the chapter beautifully written. I really loved the beginning quote too.....such a true statement:)

That was a VERY exciting chapter! I was surprised that Ravage was almost as good a duelist as Marr....so that kept the action very tense even though I was sure Marr had to prevail in the end. What I never expected was for an unknown assassin to strike Marr down and very nearly kill him! Thank goodness Vowrawn came to the rescue, although that was very odd since he was the one that took Liaseph to begin with! That man is truly a puzzle in many ways:)

As always, your storytelling skills are flawless, and the chapter beautifully written. I really loved the beginning quote too.....such a true statement:)

Well thank you! :D I figured he had to be good at something, he runs his mouth, he needs to be able to back it up. :D The assassin isn't really unknown, this is Senior Agent Zane from Foundation, in his younger days :D I think Vowrawn is trying to atone for what happened. I don't think he knew that she was important to Marr when he acquired her, I think the slavers did the buying for him, he just approved the 'property' and okay'd the transfer of payment. Later when he found out...he had some struggles, but as always he plays his hand close to his chest and if he's doing anything 'nice' it's because it's to his advantage to do so in some way. He's never completely altruistic, no matter how nice he seems.

And thank you so much for the lovely comment! *blushes*