Marr

Lunafox

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Marr

~Chapter Twenty-Eight~

Duty is the sacrifice of self.

I turned my back to Tersus and focussed my rage on the hearth. The flames climbed ever higher and the darkness was a chorale filling my ears with demands for Vilks’s blood. The fire flared from amber to blue and its ferocity was enough to cow the darkness.

The agent said nothing, but I could sense the covert inner workings of his mind. It was a network of quicksilver webs filled with possibilities that grew into calculations and strategies—his acumen the near equivalent of Vowrawn’s.

Tersus weighed his words, refining them until they were efficient and cautious enough to begin the conversation his intellect demanded.

“My lord,” he began. “May I speak freely?”

“I would prefer it.”

“Thank you, my lord. The recording served to allay many of your concerns regarding Intelligence. It would seem Lord Vowrawn’s interests still serve the Empire.”

“So it would seem.”

“That said, I would recommend an extensive security sweep of every location you frequent and thorough background checks of those who serve you. It’s quite apparent that Lord Vowrawn has been monitoring you for some time, my lord.”

“He’s known me since I was a boy—and he does not rely on technology alone.”

“A spy network?”

“A given—but more than that, he’s an unparalleled ritualist. He’s capable of summoning entities to ferret out information for him—many of these older than the Force itself. One of his first lessons to me was that technology could be defeated, but subverting a Force augur is quite another matter.”

“Nothing exists that doesn’t have a countermeasure.”

“I never took you for an optimist, Tersus.”

“More of a realist, my lord. The work demands it. The Sith have an abundance of esoteric wisdom. Surely something exists that would preserve your privacy, and perhaps employing similar means to monitor your peers would serve you as well.”

By now, my anger had dissipated, but a weary foreboding persisted. “Spycraft—is not my forté.”

Tersus’s brows furrowed and his eyes became small and sharp. “But it is mine, my lord.”

“I’ve noticed. In the short time you’ve headed Destab, the progress you’ve made has been nothing short of staggering.”

Tersus bowed slightly. “Thank you, my lord. I’ve had the good fortune of assembling an efficient task force. The position has expanded my understanding of the ministry exponentially.” He drew a deep breath and his icy gaze fixed squarely upon me.

“I sense there is something else on your mind.”

“There is, but it’s not my place. Inappropriate curiosity in my line of work can often lead to disaster.”

The agent’s terse observations amused me. “Hmph. Allow me to decide what’s appropriate, Tersus. You wished to speak freely—do so.”

“Very well, my lord. Your connection to the Jedi puzzles me. Lord Vowrawn spoke of Rylister’s betrayal—by revealing your location to the SIS. That suggests to me that he was to join you on Zygerria, but to what point and purpose? I fail to see the connection. There is a common thread, but I fail to see what—or perhaps who—you and the Jedi have in common to merit the necessity of an alliance.”

I regarded the agent for a long moment and I sensed his disquiet. To confide in him would be a risk—one I could not bring myself to take. Revealing my connection to Liaseph would endanger her. Finding her fell to me alone—a task that grew more daunting with each passing day.

“You’ve proven yourself a valued resource, Tersus.”

“Forgive me, my lord, I’ve overstepped.”

“Continue monitoring the climate at Imperial Intelligence—if you learn anything else…”

“I won’t hesitate to contact you, my lord. But if I may, there is one more thing—the Jedi. You said it was imperative he be found…and now that he has been, what is to become of him? He’s a loose end and he betrayed you—a crime punishable by death.”

“He lacks the answers I seek, but I will not take his life. Let the will of the Force decide his fate. I owe him nothing.”

“Shall I monitor him? Lord Vowrawn and the hunter spoke of a bounty—and your reaction suggests that you were not the one to set it—so who did? Not to mention Vowrawn’s interest in the young man. It might be prudent to allow the situation to unfold and see what comes of it.”

“Agreed. Many questions remain, but I’m no longer in a position to pursue this. The Emperor demands all-out war.”

“I understand, my lord.”

“Your assistance has been invaluable.”

“Thank you, my lord. With your leave, I will monitor the situation and apprise you of any pertinent developments.”

“Good. Dismissed.”

“May the Force serve you in the battles ahead, my lord.” Tersus bowed curtly and took his leave.

The Erinyes raced through swirls of cobalt blue and the Imperial fleet followed in her wake as we sped through hyperspace toward Balmorra. My reflection stared back at me through the viewport, silent and judgmental.

Months, even years might pass before I could resume my search for Liaseph personally—but I knew not one day would pass, that I wouldn’t think of her.

She had left a mark upon me, as vivid and indelible as if fate’s own signature had been branded into my spirit. Duty demanded I forget her, love demanded I never let her go. The seeds of my own private war germinated within me and I summoned the resultant guilt and anguish into a weapon I could use to cleave open the enemies of the Empire.

Every fallen world was a step closer to her.

My reflection remained unsatisfied and I turned my back to it.

“Admiral Ivernus, I trust the ground teams have completed their tasks?”

“Yes, my lord. They’ve reprogrammed the networked security systems of the factories, the laboratories, and the weaponry to turn against the inhabitants on your command.”

“Do it—but keep the damage to the arms factory at a minimum. I want that facility.”

“Understood, my lord.” Ivernus tapped a string of encoded commands into the console and watched the incoming readouts as they blinked across the monitor. “The mutated colocoids have been released from Lab 352. They’ve eliminated the surrounding population within a twenty-kilometer radius with an eighty-five percent efficiency rating. The droids are responding to the virus and are coming back online to begin their assault on the Okara Droid factory.”

“Good. Keep me apprised, Admiral.”

Admiral Vilks approached and I sensed his trepidation—our disagreement and Ivernus’s subsequent reassignment to the Erinyes left Vilks on edge.

“My Lord, Darth Vengean and Darth Azamin are in position. The mine field has been installed, and they are prepared to herd the Republic ships into the trap.”

“Excellent. And what of Sobrik’s anti-aircraft guns?”

“They’re offline for the time being. Darth Azamin’s agent will see to it, the guns are reprogrammed to fire on all Republic vessels. Targets have been marked, including the med center.”

“Leave the med center. The sick and injured are no threat and we may require the facilities for our own. Send an occupation force, in case there is any resistance inside.”

“Yes, my lord.”

“Dismissed. Captain Crenshaw, estimated time of arrival?”

“Two hours, fifty-three minutes.”

“I’ll be in my ready room.”

I settled within my meditation chamber and focussed on the flaming brazier before me. The coals winked scarlet and amber and the roots of the flames paled to a white-gold. I gave myself to the Force and allowed my mind to travel where it would.

The flames formed into fleets and I watched the battle over Balmorra unfold. The fleet bombarded the surface of the planet and I noted any vulnerabilities in our formation and committed the revelations to memory. The vision soared over the world’s surface—spanning the assault on Sobrik all the way to the laboratories in the northlands. I released the darkness, knowing it would spread fear and panic to the enemy troops as it glutted on their lifeforce.

The aerial bombardment would decimate the Traken-4 Chemworks and the resulting spillage and toxicity would drive the colocoids outward to the green poison lakes forming over the terrain.

Satisfied that the battle would unfold as I hoped, I allowed myself to slip into a deeper reverie—this one fuelled by the Forcetide.

I craved answers to the questions that plagued me and while there was nothing to be done about them on this plane, the simple knowing was enough. The vision resumed where it had left off, like a holovid in progress.

Liaseph stripped away the wet clothes clinging to her body and changed into a fresh nightgown. She caressed her forehead and the look in her eyes suggested she didn’t remember how she came to be back at the apartment. She disposed of her clothing and spread Ravage’s cloak before the hearth to dry.

He strode out of the bedroom, putting the finishing touches on a com he’d received. He clipped the device into his belt and yawned.

Liaseph’s eyes widened and her mouth fell open, but she recovered quickly.

He fixed her in his gaze. “I missed you—what are you doing?”

“I couldn’t sleep…so I went to the roof. I didn’t want to wake you to ask if I could—but it was raining…so I came back inside. Please don’t be angry.”

“Never do that again,” he warned.

“I’m going mad…I need to be able to go outside. I need plants and trees—a garden. Something! It’s boring here. I’m not some dim creature that can exist in a vacuum. I need more.”

“Liaseph, I have no time to argue with you. I have urgent business at the Citadel.” He tugged his boots on and rolled his cloak over his shoulders with an elegant flourish.

“You can’t just leave!”

He pointed the unlit hilt of his lightsaber at her and narrowed his gaze. “You overstep,” he admonished. “I can do precisely that and whether I return is my prerogative as well. I am your lord and master, a fact you would do well to remember.”

“No. You’re my jailor,” she spat. “Can’t you see what this is doing to me? I have nothing and no one here and I can’t stand it. It’s almost Life Day and I can’t even decorate my cell,” she threw her hands up and started to cry.

“It’s hardly a cell—you have every luxury. You do realize the Sith don’t observe Life Day celebrations?”

“I’m not Sith!”

“I don’t have time for this.” Ravage stormed out of the apartment. The sound of something shattering in his wake followed him into the hall.

Her sobs faded as the vision shifted to the inquisition chambers at the Citadel.

Vowrawn clasped his chin and toyed with one of the tendrils there as he considered the dozing Jedi pinned to the angled table. The corners of his lips curled into spirals and his eyes twinkled at the approaching footsteps. “Now that’s an unexpected wrinkle,” he said under his breath.

“Vowrawn…” Ravage grumbled.

“This—is a surprise.”

“Don’t play coy with me. I should’ve known you would be the one behind this. You interfered with my hunter—that can only mean one thing. What do you want, Vowrawn?”

“Oh, nothing more than your expertise—perhaps you could turn your talent on him for me…and once I have what I need…then he’s yours to do with as you please.”

“It never occurs to you to simply ask—everything is a game to you, isn’t it Vowrawn.”

“Ah, but if I’d asked, you might say no. Or worse, I’d owe you a favour.”

“Let’s get on with this I haven’t all day.”

“I suspect this Jedi knows the identity of the individual who killed the Minister of Intelligence.”

“And why would you care?”

“Perhaps, I wish to retain their services,” Vowrawn deadpanned. “In all seriousness, justice must be served and his killer cannot be allowed to walk free. Who knows when they might strike again. And against whom,” he said meaningfully.

“Law and justice is Mortis’s sphere, not yours. This is his problem.”

“Do you see him standing here? No—and if you want this Jedi then you’ll play along.”

Ravage’s mouth tightened and he held his index finger up in warning. “Fine. But mark my words Vowrawn, if this comes back to me—”

“It won’t, I assure you,” Vowrawn purred.

Ravage threw his cloak back over one shoulder and leaned in over the Jedi. “Hmph. A near-human. Miralukans are the worst—they believe themselves to be so virtuous.”

Awakened by Ravage’s voice, the Jedi struggled against his bonds and held his breath against the shocks that followed. “I don’t know anything. Even if I did, I wouldn’t tell you.” Rylister spat, the spittle clinging to Ravage’s cheek.

“Jedi filth,” Ravage snarled. He removed a pocket square and wiped the spit away. “You will suffer for this.”

Ravage fixed his glare on the Jedi’s forehead and bored into his mind.

Rylister gnashed his teeth and his body shuddered as he fought the white hot savagery tearing his mind apart.

“The name…now!” Ravage barked.

Blood spilled over Rylister’s parched lips as he bit down to keep from speaking.

“Biting off your own tongue, will not keep me from knowing, Master Rylister. Yes, I know who you are. I’ve been looking for you.”

The light shimmered behind Rylister’s visor in an attempt to lock Ravage out. His fingers coiled into fists, his knuckles fading to a white-gold. Blood coated his teeth and he nearly choked on it as he growled.

Ravage sneered. “All too easy. The name of your assassin is SIS Agent Aruna Zane. Alien filth.”

Vowrawn clapped his hands. “Wonderful. That gives my people something to go on.”

“She’s probably long gone. You have what you wanted, now leave us.”

“A deal is after all a deal,” Vowrawn conceded. “Pity. I would have enjoyed watching you work.”

“You’re trying my patience. Stay. Go. It makes no difference to what I plan on doing to this Jedi.”

Vowrawn folded his arms and leaned against the counter. “Pretend…I am not here.”

Ravage scowled and turned his interest back to the Jedi. “Tell me about Liaseph Teraan, of Alderaan. I want to know everything!”

Vowrawn’s brows pinched together and his gaze shifted.

“I don’t know anything about her,” Rylister hissed.

“Lies! You love her—and she loves you. She told me. Don’t try to deny it!”

“Y-you…know where she is?”

I ask the questions. Not you.” Ravage snarled and unleashed a volley of lightning into Rylister’s chest.

The Jedi’s back arched and he cried out.

“Tell me about her family. Now.”

“They’re…they’re dead—her father—her sister. Marr…killed them. Burned everything.” Rylister’s head drooped and gooey strings of blood hung from his lower lip.

“Marr! Why? Why would he kill them?” Ravage released another volley of lightning. “Tell me why!”

“Can’t you see the boy is unconscious?” Vowrawn strolled closer. “At this rate, you’ll kill him and you won’t learn a thing.”

“This is none of your business.”

“That’s true, of course. But I do happen to have the answer to your question.”

Ravage’s eyes narrowed. “I’m listening.”

“Marr killed them…because they were in league with the Organas.”

Ravage’s eyes widened as something occurred to him. “She…doesn’t know—she thinks they’re still alive.”

Vowrawn folded his arms over his chest and circled the table. “How is it that she’s still alive, I wonder?”

“Her father sold her—or else she too would be dead,” Ravage mused aloud.

Vowrawn tapped his index finger against his cheek. “And why would he sell his own child?”

“Because of him.” Ravage nodded at the unconscious Jedi.

“That would make sense…the puzzle pieces do seem to fit.” Vowrawn turned away. His mouth fell open as he shifted his gaze. He ran his hand over the lower half of his face. “And what will you do about the Jedi now?”

“What do you think I’m going to do to him? Honestly, Vowrawn, the questions you ask…are positively inane at times.”

“Then it’s as I suspected…you plan to kill him.” Vowrawn spun around to face Ravage. “But…consider this: What if you could break him and make him yours? The prestige of having a Miralukan apprentice—who else could make such a boast? You yourself said Miralukans are so contemptibly virtuous. They’re a rarity. Others would regard you as a paragon of dark side mastery.”

“You’re suggesting that I make him my apprentice?” Ravage’s lip curled.

“You are still in the market for one, are you not? But…bringing a Miraluka to the dark side is no small feat—perhaps even beyond your considerable ability, I’m afraid."

“He’s a threat.”

“Precisely. And what do we do with our greatest enemies?”

“We kill them."

"No, no. Besides that..."

"We keep them close,” Ravage muttered.

Vowrawn’s lip coiled up as he made for the door.

Ravage abandoned the Jedi’s side to catch Vowrawn. “One more thing—”

“Mmm?”

Ravage sighed. “In what hell would I find Life Day decorations?”

“Life Day?” Vowrawn smirked. “I never took you for the sort to indulge in such festivities.”

“I don’t,” Ravage scowled and shook his head. “Forget it.”

Vowrawn plucked a card from inside his robes. “This florist traffics in rare items and frivolous contraband. Ask for Brin Ka’zaal and mention my name to get the best deals. I recommend his snow spheres—women can’t resist them. And several dozen Malreaux roses wouldn’t hurt either. Thank me later.”

The com chimes drew me out of my reverie and to my astonishment the flames in the brazier had shriveled into a few dying embers.

“Go ahead.”

Admiral Vilks cleared his throat and gulped. “Pardon the intrusion, my lord, but we’re about to drop out of hyperspace. Admiral Ivernus informs me that the ground forces have begun their assault and vessels matching Republic signatures have been detected approaching Balmorra.”

“Acknowledged.”

The Erinyes broke out of hyperspace and the Imperial fleet spilled in after it. I took my place on the bridge and appraised the quiet before the storm. Through the darkness, I sensed the terror soaking the landscape below, as well as the insectoid minds clamoring in pursuit of easy prey.

Mark VI Supremacy Class starfighters winged out of the bellies of the flanking Harrower-class dreadnoughts and moved into position.

Balmorra’s orbital defense satellites hung lifeless about the world—a sign that the virus implanted into the planetary defense systems had disabled their shields and guns.

Republic ships emerged opposite our own and a swarm of Talon fighters roared out front to defend their fleet. Tangles of green and red bolts sizzled between the fighters.

The Mark VI’s jetted forward to break apart the Talon swarm and herd them into the minefield. Republic anti-mine vessels moved in to decimate the field.

Myriad explosions lit up the Balmorran thermosphere as the Talons collided with the mines.

The defense satellites blinked as they came online and ion cannon fire erupted from the planet’s surface to the Republic’s position. The Republic corvette’s shields blinked from the incoming fire and lurched from side to side upon impact.

A dozen of the Republic’s low altitude infantry transports dropped below cloud cover.

“They’re sending ground reinforcements. Deploy all AT-DP units.”

Spying their capital ship rise over the horizon, I nodded.

“Fire at will.”

((to be continued…))

A/N: I’d like to take a moment to thank you for reading, and to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a joyous festive season. May you know good times with family and friends where ever you may be. :)

Edit: And...for the sadistic...the gift that keeps on giving. A Vowrawn snowglobe. http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/snowglobe

Edited by Lunafox

I'm a little in love, just a smidge and it might mean I'm a little crazy too. I just admire Vowrawn each time I see him at work in your story and want to sit on his shoulder like a silent spectator enjoying every single move. Or perhaps I should sit a miniature me on yours but from what I understand you already have plenty people sitting there as you write. ;)

The dynamic between Tersus and Marr is rather great I think and in my opinion they have a good ally in one another. I admire Marr's devotion to the Empire as well, pushing his own needs aside like that.. I doubt I could ever do so.

I also have to admit Ravage made me smile... yeah he was curt and a bit snippy towards Lia but then he asked Vowrawn where to get Life Day stuff and I kinda aww'd lol.

Happy Holidays Luna and thank you for everything you write and spoil us with. ♥

Marr's own private hell is beautifully portrayed in the following quote:

She had left a mark upon me, as vivid and indelible as if fate’s own signature had been branded into my spirit. Duty demanded I forget her, love demanded I never let her go. The seeds of my own private war germinated within me and I summoned the resultant guilt and anguish into a weapon I could use to cleave open the enemies of the Empire.

Vowrawn remains intriguing, as always, but I now wonder why his sudden interest in Rylister and his pushing Ravage to break him to become his apprentice. Although Vowrawn appears to be protecting both Marr and Liaseph, to a degree, the question begs to be answered: why? His complicity confounds me, as it is likely intended. I have two theories and it will be interesting to see if either is realized.

Your space battle, over Balmorra, was well done without being cumbersome, you hit a nice balance there.

A nice touch with the 'Life Day' stuff, it reveals a side of Ravage that is almost likeable, almost.

Well done, per usual. A nice present from you to us, the readers, and I thank you. Hope you, and your family, have a most Merry, Happy and Wonderful Christmas.

I'm a little in love, just a smidge and it might mean I'm a little crazy too. I just admire Vowrawn each time I see him at work in your story and want to sit on his shoulder like a silent spectator enjoying every single move. Or perhaps I should sit a miniature me on yours but from what I understand you already have plenty people sitting there as you write. ;)

The dynamic between Tersus and Marr is rather great I think and in my opinion they have a good ally in one another. I admire Marr's devotion to the Empire as well, pushing his own needs aside like that.. I doubt I could ever do so.

I also have to admit Ravage made me smile... yeah he was curt and a bit snippy towards Lia but then he asked Vowrawn where to get Life Day stuff and I kinda aww'd lol.

Happy Holidays Luna and thank you for everything you write and spoil us with. ♥

Thank you so much for the wonderful comment! :D I love him too. He never ceases to amaze me with his whisperings lol. He hee, what's a few more personalities close by? I have broad shoulders lol. Well, not really, but there's always room for more lol. ^^

I'm glad you're finding Marr and Tersus a good match. I think if both men could let their guards down, a real friendship could evolve and may in spite of their innate inclinations to secrecy. They're quite alike in many ways, both dedicated to the Empire, and both have secrets to protect. I'm not sure I could be so dedicated either, I'd probably be trying to have my cake and eat it too, in terms of my dedication to the Empire and my private life...probably more like Ravage. He's the sort that thinks, that he busted his chops to get where he is, and now he can use that to enjoy the spoils. Marr sees it as more of a privilege to have what he has, and that he has to constantly work to show he's deserving of it. I see them as having very different backgrounds growing up.

That part was meant to be a bit of light-hearted fun at the end of the Vowrawn/Ravage bit. I'm glad it came across, I'm never sure if my odd sense of humour translates well to others. Ravage does have his moments. They all do, I don't think anyone is completely detestable or universally loveable (though it appears despite his faults, Vowrawn comes close lol). Been considering doing a little Life Day fluff piece for Liaseph and Ravage, but the jury is still out.

And thank you! Happy holidays to you too! And thanks for your lovely writings as well. Always a joy. ^^

Marr's own private hell is beautifully portrayed in the following quote:

Vowrawn remains intriguing, as always, but I now wonder why his sudden interest in Rylister and his pushing Ravage to break him to become his apprentice. Although Vowrawn appears to be protecting both Marr and Liaseph, to a degree, the question begs to be answered: why? His complicity confounds me, as it is likely intended. I have two theories and it will be interesting to see if either is realized.

Your space battle, over Balmorra, was well done without being cumbersome, you hit a nice balance there.

A nice touch with the 'Life Day' stuff, it reveals a side of Ravage that is almost likeable, almost.

Well done, per usual. A nice present from you to us, the readers, and I thank you. Hope you, and your family, have a most Merry, Happy and Wonderful Christmas.

That quote was a favorite of mine as well, I felt it did a good job of summing up where his heart was at. :) Vowrawn is quite good at thinking on his feet, and also planning his extrication from issues well in advance. I'll be interested to see if I hit on any of the theories or not. You have me intrigued. ^^

I'm also glad the invasion came off well, they're not my favorite things to write, so it's always a bit of an effort. ^^

*Beams* I'm glad you liked the bit about Life Day, as I said to Jenny, I think even Ravage has likeable qualities, he just doesn't let them out much lol.

One of my favorite parts was the little bit between Ravage and Vowrawn just before the Life Day question, where Vowrawn asks about 'what we do with our greatest enemies' and Ravage is like, 'we kill them,' and Vowrawn says, 'no, no, besides that..." :D I was a bit giggly over that part lol.

Anyways, thank you so much for the holiday wishes. I do wish you and yours all the best and much joy over the holidays. And I thank you for all the lovely writing you've shared here too! ^^

Edited by Lunafox

That part was meant to be a bit of light-hearted fun at the end of the Vowrawn/Ravage bit. I'm glad it came across, I'm never sure if my odd sense of humour translates well to others. Ravage does have his moments. They all do, I don't think anyone is completely detestable or universally loveable (though it appears despite his faults, Vowrawn comes close lol). Been considering doing a little Life Day fluff piece for Liaseph and Ravage, but the jury is still out.

I'd read it, if the jury decides in favor of it and you find the time. :p

They do all have their moments... unfortunately/luckily to such an extend I'm completely incapable of hating or even just disliking any of them. Ravage included. I wanna punch him, I wanna kick him in the gut for what he's doing to Liaseph but then I look at the bigger picture and I wanna hug him instead. Vowrawn definitely deserves a good beating but I don't think there's anything that would make me love him any less lol. He's due an appearance in DD and I'm having to slap my wrist.

The light heartedness definitely came across, I think I usually do spot the humor and enjoy it. :)

I'd read it, if the jury decides in favor of it and you find the time. :p

They do all have their moments... unfortunately/luckily to such an extend I'm completely incapable of hating or even just disliking any of them. Ravage included. I wanna punch him, I wanna kick him in the gut for what he's doing to Liaseph but then I look at the bigger picture and I wanna hug him instead. Vowrawn definitely deserves a good beating but I don't think there's anything that would make me love him any less lol. He's due an appearance in DD and I'm having to slap my wrist.

The light heartedness definitely came across, I think I usually do spot the humor and enjoy it. :)

Well, I'll see how it goes, it might just meld into next weeks, I'm not sure. Right now I'm in an extremely self-indulgent mood and crave to write darlings, that probably normally wouldn't make the cut. I've been listening to too much George Michael tonight, and also looked back on an Alan Rickman vid I enjoyed too...In Demand by Texas. If you haven't seen it, give it a go on youtube.

So, I'll see what comes of this mood I'm in.

I'm looking forward to see what happens in DD and whether everyone's favorite trickster makes an appearance. :)

Well, I'll see how it goes, it might just meld into next weeks, I'm not sure. Right now I'm in an extremely self-indulgent mood and crave to write darlings, that probably normally wouldn't make the cut. I've been listening to too much George Michael tonight, and also looked back on an Alan Rickman vid I enjoyed too...In Demand by Texas. If you haven't seen it, give it a go on youtube.

So, I'll see what comes of this mood I'm in.

I'm looking forward to see what happens in DD and whether everyone's favorite trickster makes an appearance. :)

You're doing the opposite of what I'm doing lol. I'm playing the avoidance game when it comes to Rickman, George Michael and others right now, though I did check the video you linked. :) Caught someone quoting the 'Always' quote on my FB timeline.. oof. You do what you gotta do, no matter what you write or don't write I'll support it because you're awesome. :)

A/N:

You're doing the opposite of what I'm doing lol. I'm playing the avoidance game when it comes to Rickman, George Michael and others right now, though I did check the video you linked. :) Caught someone quoting the 'Always' quote on my FB timeline.. oof. You do what you gotta do, no matter what you write or don't write I'll support it because you're awesome. :)

Thanks so much for the support. This week has been really hard for all of us and it's comforting to know that we're not alone. To lose so many cherished talented people is heartbreaking. I think the events have left us shaken and coping in our own ways. This week's chapter was one of the ways I coped--it's a bit self-indulgent but it is what is and I hope it will be enjoyed just the same.

I also want to wish everyone a joyous 2017 and hope that all our dreams will come true. ^^

Marr

~Chapter Twenty-Nine~

Pain welcomes distraction.

Twenty-nine hours after engaging the Republic fleet over Balmorra, the Empire emerged victorious. I ignored my body’s demands for rest and perused the incoming reports.

What remained of the enemy fleet had retreated, their morale soundly beaten. When I could no longer focus on the text scrolling down the screen, I demanded visuals. I needed to see the outcome for myself.

Republic corpses littered the planet’s surface. The cold water lakes and their black silt beaches ran red with blood. The occasional strangled cry rang out across the countryside—usually followed by the half-hearted discharge of a plasma rifle.

To the north, the Colocoids descended upon the dead in hordes. Those that weren’t eaten on site, were dragged into caverns and liquefied to feed the young. The bugs served as an efficient sanitation corps, allowing our forces to focus on more vital pursuits.

Black smoke from the still burning wreckage of the Republic’s battleships blotted out much of the sky. Balmorra’s citizens teetered on the edge of sanity—they were a broken people and nothing short of a purpose would remedy their anguish.

Security details prowled the ruins. Those that had survived the siege were assigned to labor camps to dig trenches and erect barriers.

An occupation force led by Admiral Ivernus remained on Balmorra. Imperial delegations were to meet with the heads of all major industries, to ensure a smooth transition of power.

The holonet transmitted word of our victory across the galaxy, serving to bolster the Empire and demoralize those who would oppose us.

The fleet set a course for the Seswenna sector in the Outer Rim. To sustain the prolonged war the Emperor demanded, necessitated the seizure of resource rich systems in the sector.

Though I was satisfied with the outcome, Balmorra was but one step in a journey with no end in sight—but that was a concern for another day. My limbs had grown heavy and my mind swam with blurred visions and hallucinations.

A distant voice called to me—one I recognized but could not name at this moment. A persistent shadow clasped my elbow as if trying to win my attention when I didn’t answer. I dismissed it and initiated the shift rotation.

After turning control of the bridge over to Vice-Admiral Dendrose, I retreated to my quarters to sleep.

I attempted to mull over the events of the last several hours, but fatigue kept my thoughts from forming with any sort of coherence. My body twitched as if expecting an impact. I would wake and the process would begin again until I lost my way. Too tired to think or sleep, I lay in the darkness drifting.

My body finally surrendered and the Forcetide dreams revealed more of the otherwise unknowable events that defined my life.

Liaseph sat at her dressing table and stared vacantly into the mirror as the valet droid applied a collar of oval rubies knitted together in platenite. She wore her hair up, the elegant twist softened by defiant wisps coiling over her cheeks.

The droid painted her lips a red to match her gown and when it finished fussing over her cosmetics, it hovered back to its alcove and shut down for the night.

The silky tenor of a recently deceased tenor crooned in the background and the chrono had lost interest in keeping time. She sighed and rested her chin on interlocked fingers, her gaze downcast in the mirror’s reflection.

Ravage appeared in the doorway and froze. He’d almost called out to her but swallowed his words in favor of admiring the way the light skimmed her shoulders. The pout drawing her lips only served to fuel his desire. He shifted his weight to alleviate the burgeoning thickness creasing his trousers.

The mirror betrayed his presence and she glanced upward. “You came back, did you?”

His lip quirked up at the corner. “Did you miss me?”

She dropped her gaze, but before she could respond, his hands warmed her shoulders and his breath tickled her ear.

“I have a surprise for you.”

“Are you going to unzip your trousers again?” She said sullenly and arched a brow.

“Perhaps later—if you’re lucky,” he deadpanned.

She pursed her lips in an attempt to hide her amusement at his unexpected response.

“I’ve given thought to what you said this morning—you’re right.”

Her eyes met his in the mirror. “So—what does that mean? You’re not giving me my freedom—are you?”

“Even if I did, you’d never be free of me.” He bent to nuzzle the nape of her neck and his fingers played over her shoulders. “You’re mine. You’ll always be mine.”

Her breath caught and she held very still. “What’s the surprise then?”

Reluctantly, he pulled away and beckoned to her with an upturned hand. “Come, Liaseph.”

She accepted his invitation warily. “Where are we going?”

“I think the more apt question would be, where aren’t we going?”

He led her into the sitting room and swung a red fur-trimmed cloak about her shoulders and doted over the clasps as if she were a child.

“Are we going to the roof? Is that it?”

“It wouldn’t be a surprise, if I told you, now would it?”

The night had cleared and both of Dromund Kaas’s moons beamed bright and round over the city. A golden droid stood on alert outside the club and swung open the rear door to a convertible limousine when Ravage and Liaseph came into view.

“After you…” He urged her inside and slid in next to her. The droid footman shut the door and saluted the chauffeur.

The limousine pulled away from the club and rose higher to sail above Kaas City. Invisible shielding kept the wind off them and the temperature constant.

Fat beams of gold and red light bowed to and fro over the city. Liaseph craned her neck to see. “What’s going on at the Citadel?”

Ravage leaned forward and muttered to the droid. “SH0-4 take us closer, so the lady can observe the celebration.” As he reclined back into his seat, he wasted no time in slipping his arm around her.

The limousine arced closer to the shimmering obsidian tower. Below them, a crowd had gathered to watch the rare spectacle.

Rockets soared up over the citadel and burst into a profusion of red comets to form Imperial insignias.

Liaseph squealed and clapped with delight. “You said the Sith don’t celebrate Life Day.”

“We don’t—but we’re celebrating the conquest of Balmorra—our latest victory over the Republic.”

Twelve spheres, each one representing a member of the Dark Council burst across the sky. The blasts rang loud enough that Liaseph held her hands over her ears until she grew accustomed to the sound.

A blood-red globe representing the Sphere of Defense bloomed before them and cheers lifted from the crowd below at the mention of Darth Marr. She beamed at the mention of him and applauded eagerly.

Ravage drew her closer. “Here’s mine,” he whispered. A golden sphere burst like a nova before them, representing Expansion and Diplomacy. The cheers and applause faded and Ravage frowned.

“It was beautiful—the best one so far, my lord.”

Spheres the colour of every jewel brightened the night and canons boomed as a tribute to those lost in combat.

“Were any of your colleagues on the council hurt or killed?”

“Liaseph, it’s—” Ravage began and then stopped.

“What?”

“It’s war.” He took her hand and kissed it. “But no—only a few ground troops were lost. Marr still lives,” he grumbled.

“As does Azamin and Vengean.”

Her gaze wandered beyond the Citadel as if searching for something long gone.

“What is it?”

“Nothing,” she lied. “I’m just wondering what’s so special about Balmorra?”

“The world has several key industries, vital to weapon and droid production. If the Empire is to thrive, it is imperative we control it—now watch—or you’ll miss it,” he pointed at the sky just above the tower.

Seemingly from nowhere, a star destroyer appeared over the Citadel. The vessel shone as bright as the planet’s larger moon. Fireworks resembling falling stars shimmered over the vessel and were followed by a dozen twinkling Imperial insignias, each arm a comet reaching out to the night.

A squadron of starfighters soared past the citadel, dipping and diving to perform complex aerial acrobatics. Laser fire slashed the sky and the crowd cheered.

“Will there be more? Please let there be more,” she said beaming. The sky darkened and she pouted. “It’s over already?”

Ravage delighted in her expression. “Liaseph…”

“Yes, my lord?”

Words failed him, but he reached out and stroked her cheek with the backs of his fingers. A rosy flush stained her cheeks and his eyes blazed with a singular wanting intensity.

She caught herself losing the will to resist him and gazed into his eyes. They were blue, but they were the wrong blue—more like a storm than an ocean.

He pressed his mouth to hers, his lips urgent and demanding. She gasped and answered his kisses timidly before submitting to the moment. Her scent twined about him, intoxicating and dangerous and yet something about her suggested she was holding back.

He broke their kiss, but held her face between his hands, his thumb playing over her earlobe. “Don’t resist. You’re breaking no vows.”

“But you are,” she blurted.

He pulled back and searched her eyes. “That bothers you…that I’m married.”

“Yes, it bothers me.”

“Why?”

“I feel sorry for her—and I feel guilty and ashamed.”

“She knows—and she doesn’t care. She has what she wants—and I have what I want. Trust me, when I tell you, she wouldn’t think so benevolently about you.”

“Who can blame her? How could anyone forgive me, when I can’t forgive myself?”

“This isn’t just about my wife is it?”

Liaseph stared at him and swallowed.

“That’s what I thought. It’s him. You still think you have a chance. You don’t.”

Her lower lip quivered.

“You’re suffering because of him. You’re not his priority. You were never his priority, nor will you ever be. I can make you forget him. It’s in my power to do.”

“If you did, you’d never know if what we have is real, or if it’s because you made me forget.”

“Listen to me. You’re not his priority, but you are mine. You belong with me. If you were lost to me, I would find you. Do you understand?”

“I-I understand.”

“I don’t think you do,” he whispered and turned her face up to his. “I want you to give yourself to me.”

She averted her eyes. “You’ve already been with me…what else is there?”

“You’re holding back—because of him, and I won’t have it.”

“I’ll never be more than this.”

Ravage’s expression grew solemn. “Do you want more?”

“What do you mean?”

“I think you know.”

“No, I don’t.”

“She’s my wife only in name—a name that could be yours. Say the word and the problem is solved.”

Her eyes flashed. “Stop it. You’re not thinking clearly. You have children with her.”

“My mind is my own, I assure you.”

She turned her attention to the landscape and looked up at the moons. The silence was suddenly thick between them and Ravage shifted to one side.

He summoned a drink server droid carrying two flutes of Alderaanian sparkle. “I ordered this especially for you,” he announced, passing her a flute.

She accepted and watched the bubbles shiver up to the surface and break free.

He held his glass aloft. “Your innocence quickens me. To you, Liaseph.”

After clinking his flute against hers, he sipped the sparkle and smacked his lips.

She tasted the bubbly and a wan smile lifted her lips. “It’s good, but I shouldn’t drink—it affects me.”

“That—is the entire point. Drink up, I bought twenty cases of it. I want to see you happy.”

“You want to see me drunk,” she murmured and shook her head. “So what now?”

“I’ve reserved the private dining hall at the Nexus Room. I told you I would take you there…”

The limousine landed outside Kaas City’s premiere cantina and the droid, SH0-4 opened the door.

Ravage emerged first and offered his arm. “Come.”

She accepted and strolled alongside him. Inside they were met by a bevy of fawning hosts who took her cloak; coloured lights and a Bith jazz quartet. Every eye followed them and Ravage basked in the attention and fed off the envy of the whispering patrons.

“Shall we dance?” He breathed against her ear.

Liaseph giggled. “I thought you’d never ask.”

A beam of golden light followed them as they took to the dance floor. Ravage spun her against him and she glanced over her shoulder and rewarded him with a smoldering gaze before breaking into a fit of giggles.

He delighted in the sway of her hips against his and by the time the band finished the set, they’d gained an admiring audience, eager to share the floor.

“Our table should be ready by now,” Ravage called out over the din.

“I hope so, I’m famished.”

He urged her into the elevator ahead of him, his hand hovering over the small of her back.

A sumptuous feast of Alderaanian nerf and several glasses of sparkle later, Ravage escorted her into the elevator.

“Enjoying yourself?”

“Very much,” she beamed.

“How much? Show me.”

She drew him close and pressed a feathery kiss on the corner of his mouth. “How’s that?”

“Chaste…considering what I want to do to you.” He trapped her against the elevator wall and kissed her savagely, his hands roaming her body.

She broke their kiss and gasped. “Not here…people will talk.”

“Let them, I’m on the Dark Council, their opinions don’t matter one whit,” he hissed and buried himself against her throat. Oblivious to their descent, his hands slid lower to her buttocks.

Several whistles and growing applause filtered into the elevator and he broke their kiss. He glared at the other patrons, his eyes fierce and his jaw slack.

Liaseph blushed and her eyes grew wide at the crowd flanking the carpet runner leading to the elevator.

A tall lithe man in a dark Imperial uniform leaned against the bar and scanned the crowd with a calculating icy gaze. He caught Liaseph’s attention and held it for a moment. His lip twitched up slightly and he lifted his glass to salute her.

She blushed and averted her eyes, but curiosity incited her to seek him out again, but when she did, he’d vanished into the throng like a ghost.

“There was a man…” She hesitated and glanced back at the bar.

“Pay him no mind, Liaseph,” Ravage hissed in her ear and collected her cloak from the coat check droid.

She dropped her gaze and kept her head down as he wrapped her up. Ravage cleared his throat and hastened her out to the limousine.

The shiny black vehicle rose higher to show the city’s nightscape to full advantage. He curved his arm around her and she rested her head against his shoulder.

“I had a good time…my lord.”

“Liaseph…call me Phin.”

She peered up at him and smiled sheepishly. His eyes softened and studied her. “I want to hear you say it…”

“I had fun, Phin,” she quipped.

He kissed the top of her head. “That’s my girl.”

The limousine landed on the top floor of gentlemen’s club. Liaseph straightened and glanced around, her eyes narrowing with sparkle induced uncertainty. “This isn’t the right floor…is it?”

“As a matter of fact…it is. My last and I think best surprise…” He threw open the limousine door before the droid could.

Liaseph shifted across the seat after him and took his hand, rewarding him with an accidental flash of her legs as she got out.

“I secured the penthouse for you…these gardens are yours now…you’re free to come here as often as you wish—and should you desire to alter the plantings, the droids will assist.”

“I can’t believe it…”

“There’s more.” He snatched her hand and drew her inside quickly.

A three-meter tall tree graced the middle of the sitting room, tiny lights illuminating every branch like Saleucami fireflies. Several boxes of Life Day ornaments had been unpacked and set out and the deep heady fragrance of freshly cut Malreaux roses spilled out from the bedroom.

“They’re beautiful…” She lifted one of the fragile glass bulbs out of its tissue to admire it.

Ravage retrieved a parcel from the caf table and held it out to her. “It would please me if you accepted this. I know you hate material things, but I’d prefer it if you abstained from throwing this one.”

She collected the gift and glanced up at him. “It’s heavy.”

He patted the cushion beside him. “You’ll want to sit to open it.”

She settled in next to him and tugged apart the silken ribbon to open the gift. Nestled inside the kriin-wood box, lay a large snow sphere on a matching kriin-wood base. At the heart of the sphere, purple mountains hugged an ivory palace and emerald spruce trees jutted from the snow-dusted grass.

She gazed at it for a long time and tears filled her eyes.

Ravage folded his arms petulantly. “You hate it.”

“No…I love it. It reminds me of home. I just can’t help but remember the last time…” She gave the globe a shake and watched the storm she’d inflicted. “I miss…my sister.”

He studied her expression and his lips parted as though he wanted to speak, but decided against it. Instead, he took the orb from her hands and set it aside and drew her into his embrace.

“Happy Life Day, Liaseph.”

She cupped his cheek and traced his implant with her thumb. “Happy conquest of Balmorra...Phin.”

He moistened his lips and looked at her warily, his expression almost vulnerable. “Liaseph…”

She smiled impishly and straddled him. He gasped, surprised by her sudden boldness. “What are you doing?”

“This.” She leaned in to whisper in his ear and a sly smirk creased the corners of his eyes.

“This is a night of surprises…”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

If this was a book I'd hug it to my chest right now. Man what a chapter, I delighted in every single moment and you're making it so excruciatingly hard to hate Ravage when he does stuff like that! I mean I know that all shine aside she's his slave but.. gah! Love it love it love it. I admire Liaseph though, I don't think I could keep a straight face calling him Phin.. well Phin's not so bad but when you know it's short for Phineas, lol.

I love Marr, I really do and I feel bad for him but I have to admit... a part of me really enjoys the pairing of Liaseph and Ravage too and now I find myself hoping that it's, real. Or at least partially, given her pheromones.

I thought the vivid description of the aftermath on Balmorra was really great too by the way.

This was great and worth the wait, also very heartwarming after the week we've all had and brought a much needed dopey happy smile to my face. Thank you and since I'm about 17 hours away from 2017... Happy New Year in advance, may 2017 bring us far more joy, even greater writing, more stories and lots of happiness!

If this was a book I'd hug it to my chest right now. Man what a chapter, I delighted in every single moment and you're making it so excruciatingly hard to hate Ravage when he does stuff like that! I mean I know that all shine aside she's his slave but.. gah! Love it love it love it. I admire Liaseph though, I don't think I could keep a straight face calling him Phin.. well Phin's not so bad but when you know it's short for Phineas, lol.

I love Marr, I really do and I feel bad for him but I have to admit... a part of me really enjoys the pairing of Liaseph and Ravage too and now I find myself hoping that it's, real. Or at least partially, given her pheromones.

I thought the vivid description of the aftermath on Balmorra was really great too by the way.

This was great and worth the wait, also very heartwarming after the week we've all had and brought a much needed dopey happy smile to my face. Thank you and since I'm about 17 hours away from 2017... Happy New Year in advance, may 2017 bring us far more joy, even greater writing, more stories and lots of happiness!

Thank you so much! I'm glad it turned out huggable :D I figure even Ravage has his moments. Don't worry though, you won't love him forever ;D Mwaahaha.

I'm also glad that Balmorra turned out, I wanted to get across the hopelessness of the people and the landscape and that for the Empire and Marr, it's business as usual...you do your job, you make sure it's done and stays done, and then move on to the next. He has motivation. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter and that it was a warm and fuzzy end to a pretty crappy week. I know I needed something lighter and a bit fun, and I'm hoping others will feel that way too. Like Marr, I'll be back to business again with the next. ^^ Happy, happy New Year! Let's hope despite all the world's worries, that it's a good, joy filled year. :)

A totally bewitching chapter, thank you. The after battle strategies were well done, and yet, Marr finds no comfort in the victory, he simply does what he must, his duty above all else.

Ravage could be almost likeable here. I don't even know if it is love he feels for Liaseph, but he is definitely trying to fill some gaping hole in his life and I almost see his kindness as another tactic. Although, to his credit, he does go to greater lengths than expected. I think he wants her devotion, not to be confused with love.

Ravage feels underappreciated, no doubt, as demonstrated by the following lines:

A blood-red globe representing the Sphere of Defense bloomed before them and cheers lifted from the crowd below at the mention of Darth Marr. She beamed at the mention of him and applauded eagerly.

Ravage drew her closer. “Here’s mine,” he whispered. A golden sphere burst like a nova before them, representing Expansion and Diplomacy. The cheers and applause faded and Ravage frowned.

There is surely no love lost between Ravage and Marr, the problem with Ravage is that he rubs Marr's victories into his own face, Marr does not gloat. Ravage is in a loveless marriage, sith children are just as likely to off their parents as not, and I think the only place he finds peace, or even kindness is with Liaseph. He needs her to worship him.

And, Liaseph, threading her way through the changing landscape must be confusing, at the very least. She knows she is owned, but sees something else in Ravage as well and has learned to play to the weakness I feel he only shows to her. She is caught in a web and once she reaches acceptance, she opens herself to the spider's bite. I truly feel for her.

Just curious, but was the star destroyer over the citadel Marr's or did he go with the fleet? And who was the imperial in the Nexus that raised his glass to her? Intriguing.

Anyway, a remarkable insight into Ravage and his relationship with Liaseph. The holiday theme fit with the season for sure and it was a joy to read.

Edited by MishaCantu

Thanks Misha :D

These battles are where he starts losing his humanity, each one takes a bit more until it all accrues into who he becomes.

Ravage does have his moments, but he can be a bit scary intense too, as we saw when he started talking about his wife. You're right, kindness and generosity are just tactics, but he does want to win Liaseph, for all the reasons you said, he's definitely trying to make up for a few missing things in his life. As you said he's unappreciated and he hungers for attention and accolades and falls short. Both he and Marr have their virtues, and as we'll come to see later, both have their faults as well.

I love your take on Liaseph's life on DK and with Ravage, that she has to tread carefully with the spider right there. There are so many spiders really, but I think he's one of the worst of them. Liaseph has learned that if she's kind, and strokes his ego, that he's actually pretty good to her...but being who she is, she can't help but be a smart alec too and make fights.

The star destroyer at the event wasn't Marr's. He left with the fleet to go to the outer rim to raid, so they can move on to the next major target. The vessel at the event was just one that showed up for the grand finale. As for the mysterious Imperial, well, there are a couple of ways I can deal with him--in all honesty, I thought about making him Tersus, but there is another possibility I can take too, so I'm mulling it over. I just liked the idea of him at the bar toasting her.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and now that the holidays are over, I guess it's back to business lol. :p

Happy New Year!

I suspect that was Marr's agent at the bar. I am looking forward to find out if I am right, and what implications there are if I am.

Happy New Year! :D

I was leaning that way, but as I said to Misha, there is also another possibility for that agent, so I'm just going to mull it over a bit and see which way I like it better. So it's a mystery, for all of us! lol. :D

Thank you so much! I'm glad it turned out huggable :D I figure even Ravage has his moments. Don't worry though, you won't love him forever ;D Mwaahaha.

!! Yes, I probably will. We've already established I've got issues and as long as he shows or has shown a 'nicer' side too, regardless of intentions.. I'll always enjoy him to an extend. :o:rolleyes: But now I'm only more curious lol.

Ravage feels underappreciated, no doubt, as demonstrated by the following lines:

That part made me sad faced and I wanted to hug him. I mean it sounded perfect and like something that would really happen that way but it made me feel bad for Ravage lol.

Marr

~Chapter Thirty~

Through unity, victory.

Twelve men—three of them Sith sat before me in opposition. Despite our recent victories on the Outer Rim, I was fighting a losing battle. The men before me craved victory for the personal recognition it would bring—not for the betterment of the Empire.

Unity would bring victory and with it accolades enough for all—but I was surrounded by petty men who lacked the vision of what the Empire could be, if only self-interest could be weeded out.

I stood and took stock of every man before me. “An incursion on Bothawui is a fool’s errand. The Republic must not be underestimated. Our victories in the Seswenna sector have made you brash. Mark my words well, Azamin, Vengean—it will not end well for us if you persist on this course.”

Azamin spread his hands. “They won’t know what hit them, Marr. We’ll bombard them from space. We won’t even need to mount a ground assault. Darth Immern is quite capable, I promise you.”

Immern nodded sagely. “We need to strike while their morale is low. No one believed we would ever get close enough to kill Joron Tal’vor, and we did. Their fearless hero—dead. They’re crushed.”

“And that is when they’re at their most dangerous,” I snapped. “Do not discount the power of their sentiment. They draw strength from it.

“Bothawui is of great strategic importance to the Republic. I guarantee that the world is shielded and well protected. A covert task force must be deployed to scout the surface—to find their cloaked shield generator. Lull them into a false state of security. We must coordinate with the ground team. Then and only then, are we prepared to strike. With their generator and artillery offline, we begin the bombardment. Nothing less than a well-planned, well-timed full-scale invasion will do.”

Vengean chuckled. “Scouting the surface? Lulling them? You are too cautious, Marr. We can finish them from above. Don’t tell me you’re concerned that your winning streak might finally be broken?”

“If you believe I keep a tally to boost my ego, you’re mistaken. My sources inform me that Admiral Griek and the Republic Navy are no more than one sector away, lying in wait. It’s a trap.”

“But how do you know?” Darth Immern slapped the conference table. “You can’t be certain. They won’t know we’re coming.”

“They already know. It’s only logical that after taking the Outer Rim, our next goal would be to move inwards to the Mid Rim—and Bothawui is a prime target. We are being baited.”

“Marr—with all due respect,” Azamin began, “Your sphere is Defense of the Empire, Vengean’s is Military Offense and mine is Military Strategy and he and I are in agreement. You are the odd man out, Marr.”

“Spare me the rudimentary lesson of our Council’s inner workings. My orders come from the Emperor himself.”

Azamin shook his head. “Our Emperor is not a patient man, he wants casualties and devastation. He does not want us to waste time traipsing about looking for shield generators that may or may not exist. What I propose is splitting the fleet—Immern takes Bothawui while the three of us and Grand Moff Zellos proceed to the Mid-Rim. You yourself said you wished to make fast work of this.”

“Not at the expense of the Empire. You’re sending Immern and his men to slaughter.”

“Marr—how can you not see—you are outnumbered here. We will proceed according to the demands of our spheres. It’s our duty—have some faith in young Immern. He’s proven himself invaluable on many occasions.”

“And yet you would condemn him to a pointless death. This is a mistake, a waste—one you can explain to our ultimate master—assuming any of you survive.”

“Do as you will Marr, and we will do the same. Our campaigns are our own.”

“You will regret this.”

“Is that a threat, Marr?”

“No. Merely a fact.”

The com chimed demanding my attention and I deferred the call. With nothing further to say to my peers I left them and returned to my quarters. I glowered at the stars through my viewport. Not a half hour passed before the fleet splintered—weakening the whole because of utter stupidity and vainglory. I had failed. All that remained was to stay the course I had laid out and hope it would be enough to secure the Empire.

My fist tightened around the com and I remembered the deferred call. I was in no mood to speak to anyone, but there would be no peace until I did.

Hawk-eyed and shrewd, Tersus’s image rose from the device. He bowed his head and clasped his hands behind his back to assume the rigid posture I had grown accustomed to seeing.

“Tersus, report.”

“My lord. Pardon the interruption earlier. If this is a bad time, the briefing can wait.”

“No. Proceed.”

“Firstly, it would appear the Dread Masters have succeeded in their objectives. Reports indicate the Republic is baffled by the loss of entire fleets and outposts and will be investigating the cause of these ‘bursts of terror’, as they described.”

“I see. At least something is proceeding according to plan. What else?”

“Vowrawn continues to acquire and merge various gangs of criminals and their assets into one unit. He’s acquired properties across the Republic and Core worlds. I suspect they’re safe houses. He has created a guise of legitimacy, so that they may operate with impunity on his behalf. I must say he has my respect—herding and controlling these unruly degenerates is no mean feat.”

“Perhaps the Emperor should have asked him to shepherd this task force,” I grumbled. “Are these machinations of Vowrawn’s bearing fruit for the Empire, or is this a selfish attempt to line his own pockets?”

“From all I’ve seen, he’s used the resources seized by his various pirate guilds to embellish the Empire—at reduced costs. He’s building quite the crime syndicate. If my estimations are correct, he controls better than half of the galaxy’s underworld operations—exceeding that of even the Hutts. I daresay they should worry—as should he. The Hutts can be formidable adversaries and I doubt they will allow this to stand uncontested.”

“I see. So it appears that he is, in fact, working within the confines of his sphere.”

“Yes, my lord, but he is one to watch.”

“Agreed. And the climate at Intelligence?”

“Intelligence remains on high alert. I received word that an SIS agent—Torin Zane—was spotted in Kaas City no more than a day ago, no doubt to extract their assassin.”

“And what of the Jedi?”

“It would appear Darth Ravage has taken custody of him. Given that he is no longer at detention or interrogation, I suspect he’s been moved to one of Ravage’s own facilities.”

I clasped my forehead and sighed. Remnants of the Forcetide’s latest revelations swam in my mind like debris in deep water. Ravage and Vowrawn huddled over the unconscious Jedi in an unsettling duologue that gave rise to an implacable anxiety I couldn’t set aside.

Nausea burned the back of my throat and my sight blurred. Was it be possible that the visions and dreams were finally moving closer to coincide with reality? Each world existed independently and I sensed an impending merge of the known and unknown through a violent ripple in the Force.

“My lord?” Tersus pressed. “Are you unwell?”

The agent’s voice dispersed the sensation and clarity returned. “No. Is there anything further?”

“I’ve assigned one of my best and brightest to monitor Darth Ravage.”

“Who?”

“The name’s Pallaron. Interestingly enough, he graduated in my year. He shows great promise as an infiltrator specializing in deep cover.” Tersus grinned in a rare candid moment. “But a word of caution—never play sabacc with him. He’s a proficient card counter. No one can tell.”

I chuckled. “Don’t tell Vowrawn.”

Tersus smirked. “Understood, my lord. That concludes my report. Is there anything further you require?”

“No, continue monitoring. However, my next operation demands radio silence—I’ll be in touch when my mission concludes. It could be several weeks, perhaps months before we speak again.”

“Understood,” Tersus said with a bow.

“Marr out.”

The image winked out and I considered the console for a moment before contacting the Vice Admiral. “Dendrose—maintain course to the Sluis sector, but do not initiate hyperspace.”

“Acknowledged, my lord.”

The Sluis sector, known for several key outposts and shipyards would prove ideal to service the Empire in this region of space. We would arrive in under a day at the current rate—time enough to rest and meditate on the battle ahead— and time enough for the Forcetide to impart its truths.

I settled into my quarters for the night and fell into an easy but shallow sleep.

Liaseph brewed a cup of Cassius tea and settled in to watch the holonet news.

‘…This is the Imperial News Network with breaking news emerging this hour from the Bothan Sector. Reports indicate an Imperial incursion on the planet Bothawui in the Mid Rim was met with massive Republic resistance, resulting in the decimation of the Imperial fleet and a tragic loss of lives numbering in the thousands, including the death of the Sith lord leading the incursion.

‘Darth Marr recently conquered Balmorra and several sectors in the outer rim in the Seswenna sector. He is known by all as the Empire’s stalwart defender. More as it becomes available. This is Quel Na’rip of the Imperial News Network.’

Liaseph clapped her hand over her mouth and tears welled in her eyes. She sprang out of her chair, her breaths coming in rapid panting sobs.

She faltered and caught the table. The double doors leading to the garden seemed a galaxy away. Mindlessly she navigated the room, gripping a chair, then the chesterfield, a table, until she found herself outside.

Her clothing and hair shivered in the humid wind. She clung to the thick half wall that served as the balcony’s railing and sobbed into her hands. Crops of goose pimples sprang up over her arms and she slumped to her knees, her cheek against the stone wall.

A cool drizzle began and thickened enough to turn her pale blue gown dark. She scrambled to her feet and peered over the edge of the wall.

The citizens below appeared no larger than ants as they hustled to get inside out of the rain. A slow sad smile spread over her lips. She pressed her hand over her mouth and shut her eyes. Tears mingled with the rain until it was impossible to tell them apart.

She drew a deep breath and peeled off her shoes. She scampered onto the wall and teetered in a crouch until she found the nerve to stand. Her face throbbed and the city became a bright gray blur. The wind whipped around her and she spread her arms to it. She wavered on the edge and buried her face in her hands.

The stone ledge was rough and cold under her feet, but she inched closer to the edge until she could curl her toes over it.

The streets below had cleared save for the odd taxi speeder zooming past. She closed her eyes and tipped forward, the motion as smooth as fainting. Her heartbeat boomed in her ears.

Rocket boosters roared before her as something large, dark and powerful collided with her, pushing her back onto the wet balcony floor.

“Gotcha!” The handsome blond Imperial clutched her to his chest and held her. He pawed her hair and she wept into the crook of his shoulder.

“Why? Why did you do that?” She sniffled.

“Hey…whatever it is darling, it can’t be that bad,” he drawled.

Her sobs grew louder and more insistent.

“Okay, I guess it can.”

She pulled away and stared up at him. Her brows pinched miserably. “You—I remember you. You were at the bar—at the Nexus and then you weren’t.”

“I’m flattered that you remember.”

She pummelled his shoulders. “Get off me and go away!”

“Not until I’m positive you’re not going to take another flying leap. Promise me.”

“No.”

“Let’s talk about this…”

“Don’t you get it? There’s nothing to talk about. My life is over.”

“That’s a pretty radical shift from the girl who outshone every light in the Nexus a month ago.”

He levered himself off her and pulled her up with him. “Let’s get you inside where it’s warmer.”

“No.”

“Then will you at least let me offer you my jacket, you must be freezing.” He shrugged out of his coat and set it over her shoulders. “And another thing…let’s do something about this.” He pulled a pocket square from his uniform’s breast pocket and dabbed her eyes before surrendering it to her. “Better?”

“No. Whoever you are…you can’t fix this!”

“Call me Damars. Damars Pallaron. I told you mine, now you tell me yours.”

“Liaseph.”

“A name as enchanting as the woman it belongs to.” He ushered her over to the garden bench and sat her down.

He crouched before her and tipped her chin up. “Now…are you going to tell me what happened or am I guessing?”

“I don’t know you. Why are you here? How did you even get up here?”

“Okay…you want answers. How about these—you don’t know me…but you will…I’m here to tell you your cliff hawk impersonation needs work, and these,” he tapped his rocket boots, “Standard Intelligence issue.”

“You’re a spy.” She narrowed her eyes. “Were you spying on me?”

“Not intentionally.” He flashed a smile. “Your go.”

“I’m not in the mood for these games,” she blew her nose.

“So what made you ready to end it all?”

“The man I love is…dead.”

“I’m pretty sure I saw him at the Citadel earlier—but to get so upset…you’re a true patriot. Interesting, seeing as you’re not an Imperial.”

“What?” She grimaced. “And how did you know that?”

“The accent—I’m going to guess you’re a particularly lovely species of Alderaanian snob.”

“Leave me alone.”

“I can see this isn’t going to be any fun until we clear something up. Now, what makes you think Darth Ravage is dead?”

She stared at him with the same incredulity as if he’d slapped her in the face.

“Was it on the holonet?”

She nodded in a brusque staccato.

“I see.” He pulled a pad from the reticule attached to his belt. “Playback all breaking news from the last hour.”

Quel Na’rip’s voice squeaked from the datapad as the clip replayed.

Damars shook his head. “Should’ve known—sweeps week. They’re trying to up their viewership—but this report said Darth Marr,” he murmured, eyes narrowing. “Is that who you meant?”

She said nothing, but the quiver of her lower lip spoke volumes.

“Let’s put this rumor to bed, shall we? What’s Darth Marr’s current status?”

A miniature holo image rose up from the pad and rotated while the status updated. “Processing…Darth Marr is currently…alive.”

“He’s alive?” She peered up at Damars and searched his green eyes.

“Looks like. Spies get the best toys, don’t you think?”

She pressed her hand to her chest to calm her breathing. “You’re sure? He’s really alive?”

“Yes darling, alive and kicking.”

“Can you get a message to him? Please?”

“It’ll cost you.”

Her shoulders slumped. “I don’t have any money—but I have jewelry. Lots of it.”

“It’s all wrong for my image. I was thinking something simpler and more personal.”

She narrowed her eyes. “Like what?”

“Like this…” Recklessly, he leaned in and stole not one, but three kisses, each one lingering longer than the last. He drew back slowly. “Your lips taste like a wild Tatooine desert blossom…I can only imagine what the rest must be like.”

“Please tell him where I am.”

Damars frowned at the reflection on his datapad. “I don’t have his com frequency—but I know someone who would. Tell you what darling, why don’t we go inside…get to know each other better and maybe, just maybe, I’ll take you to him personally.”

She stared into his eyes for a long time. The flicker of temptation swelled in her, and then it was gone. “How dare you!” She slapped him hard enough to turn his face. “Just because I live here doesn’t mean I’m what you think.”

The double doors to the roof swung open and Liaseph leapt to her feet, leaving the agent’s coat behind on the bench.

She dashed toward Ravage and pointed an accusing finger at Damars and sniffed. “Make him leave.”

Ravage met her half way. “Did he hurt you?”

“No.”

“Go inside now, I’ll deal with him.” Ravage gestured toward the door.

She skulked back inside and peered out at the two men.

“Darth Ravage,” Damars bowed.

Ravage crossed his arms. “Well? What did you learn?”

“Good news…and bad news.”

“Explain.”

“The good news—she slapped me when I propositioned her…I made her an offer I didn’t think she’d refuse.”

“Truly? She denied…you?”

Damars preened. “Surprising, I know.”

“And the bad?”

“She asked me to relay a message.”

“To who? She doesn’t know anyone in Kaas.”

“Darth Marr.”

“Marr?” Ravage glowered. “What for? What was the message?”

“She wanted him to know where she is, my lord.”

“Why the hell would he care where—”

“She implied that she loves him, my lord.”

Ravage’s face flared red as a look of dawning struck him. “You are not to relay any such message. Understood?”

“That goes without saying, my lord. I’m yours to command.” Damars set his hand over his heart and bowed.

Ravage’s glare fixed on the ground in front of the agent. “Those rocket boots…are they still functional?”

“Yes, my lord.”

“Good. Then show yourself out!” With a backhanded gesture, he Force flung the agent off the roof. Damars yelped and the sound of boosters followed.

Ravage remained rooted in place for several moments, his back to the penthouse doors. His hands balled into fists and his chest rose and fell in fast shallow breaths.

He turned on his heel and stalked inside, his cloak billowing behind him.

Liaseph held herself in the sitting room, her wet gown, and hair clinging to her. Her body tremored inside and her gaze remained riveted on Ravage.

“He’s been dealt with,” he muttered.

Liaseph nodded, not daring to speak. She swallowed as he approached her. He took her arms and rubbed the chill from them.

“You won’t be seeing him again.”

“He scared me,” she managed.

“No need to fear him.” He urged her back against the corner wall and leaned in to nuzzle her throat.

She stood motionless before him. He drew back and glared at her, his eyes blazing. He kneaded her upper arms and without warning he turned her around, pinning her against the corner wall with his body. She heard him unfasten his trouser bindings. Her cheek flattened against the cool smooth edge of the wall as he pressed against her.

He snatched the damp hem of her gown, bunching it over her hip. With his free hand, he tugged away the scant lace panties she wore. She remained still and felt his weight against her back as he bent her forward and splayed her apart.

She shut her eyes as he freed himself and entered her. He drove into her over and over, their bodies awkward and misaligned. Minutes later he shuddered and growled with his release.

He held her body against his, idly skimming the side swell of her breast. He nuzzled her throat, his breath hot against her ear. He studied her profile and his eyes hardened.

“Marr—killed your family,” he whispered and backed away.

She clung to the wall and stared vacantly at the holonet still broadcasting in the other room. The door to the penthouse slammed shut loud enough, that it vibrated the walls.

“This has been Imperial Network News, Quel Na’rip reporting.”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

Well... damn. I know what you meant now, and it wasn't enough, but damn. I guess the honeymoon weeks are over and Ravage is not happy. That Agent though, balls, I'd hoped it was Tersus' man and that his offer to help her was sincere... until he asked for payment. He could still be Tersus' man but just a huge double crossing slime bag too. Damnit. Can't see how Liaseph's going to work her way out of this one, Ravage seemed real intent on hurting her... oy.

Those other Darths Marr is working with are idiots, as the news coverage proved I suppose. Callous, arrogant and soon to be dead dumbdumbs. The opening line fit perfectly, too. Interesting though how slowly his Force visions and dreams seem to seep into his consciousness... can't wait to see where that goes.

On a side note, the moment Lia stepped out onto that balcony and removed her slippers to get up on the ledge... total Titanic moment in my head, lol.

As always, fantastic job Luna and well worth the wait!

EDIT: Just re-read it, coffee does do wonders LOL. I get the Agent now, as well as the name which plagued me all night and then I remembered the Facebook chats :p Still don't like that he's clearly playing both sides though, bah nasty man.

Edited by JennyFlynn

That Agent though, balls, I'd hoped it was Tersus' man and that his offer to help her was sincere... until he asked for payment. He could still be Tersus' man but just a huge double crossing slime bag too. Damnit.

Now, let's review the facts: Tersus' man is there to monitor Ravage. Deep cover. I may have forgotten details, but there is no reason to think he'd know about Liaseph and her connection to Marr. My money's on her message reaching Tersus, at least. Marrs radio silence will be a hindrance, though.

Another great chapter. The characters, Marr especially, come alive, and the tension is gripping, even though we know how things turn out. That is good storytelling.

I am undecided as to whom the charming agent's loyalities belong to. He is supposed to be under deep cover, but I wouldn't put it past him to play both sides.

Spoiler for the new agent's possible identity.

Palloran sounded familiar, so I checked Wookieepedia, but my search came up empty. But when he introduced himself to Lia with his full name it made click. I take it this is not a coincidence? At least the personality fits :)

Ohh, I like! <3

That opening statement could be true if most sith weren't pretentious fools. Only Marr and Vowrawn seem to have their ducks in a row.

I truly enjoyed the back and forth between Marr, Vengean and Azamin, they should have listened. The little bit of information about Vowrawn was interesting, seems he is working toward the betterment of something, but with him who can really tell if it is the empire or himself.

Ha, nice word play on that whole Damras Pallaron thing, had me going for a bit until you mentioned his sabacc card counting. Well played. :D So now Ravage knows about Liaseph and Marr, I fear it will not go well for her as his response proved, the words as well as the act.

I do love how you weave the whole tale together.