scammer got me

jstankaroslo

It has NOTHING to do with a lack of compassion. It has EVERYTHING to do with people refusing to accept responsibility for THEIR OWN mistakes and attempting to put the blame on others.

Does the seller have any responsibility to the society he/she lives in? Or can he/she do whatever they want at will?

Weird how only the buyer seems to have to 'suck it up' and be responsible for their actions.

Edited by CosmicCleric
*** was censored for some reason

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say taking advantage of "greed" and taking advantage of "impatience" is really, really splitting hairs...

You're agreeing it's not ethical and that's all I ever really wanted, thank you.

It's a 100% dishonest way to make credits and I don't understand why people support it. I also haven't seen one person who lost money who has said it WASN'T their fault for not paying attention. Yet people keep running around saying "it's your fault, seller did nothing wrong" which makes me sad.

Oh god no, it's not ethical. It's taking advantage of someone's inattention. It's definitely 'wrong.'

I was just stating that it's not a scam.

I got hit by that sort of thing myself. I lost 4mil on a couple of Bioanalysis mats about a year ago. After that, I made a rule to stay off the GTN after midnight and always double-check prices before I hit Yes on the Confirm window.

Does the seller have any responsibility to the society he/she lives in? Or can he/she do *** they want at will?

Weird how only the buyer seems to have to 'suck it up' and be responsible for their actions.

The seller isn't responsible to society about their pricing, but to themselves, society isn't responsible for the buyers buying it either. It is the buyers responsibility plain and simple. yes people make mistakes, but you have to pay for them and hopefully learn from it.

Thing is, all you needed to do was sort lowest to highest, not just buy the first you see. And because I do it that way never noticed them doing the other, but that is still only able to snare the ones who either buy the first they see, still their fault, or ones who saw the lowest price then resorted for highest price, in which case, wth were they doing.

Nobody is right 100% of the time. Nobody never makes a mistake, ever. There shouldn't be someone with a trap waiting for you, when you reaffirm your status as being a member of the Human Race (a.k.a. making a mistake).

And in the end it is all about blaming someone else for your mistakes, your mistakes are yours, accept them and learn from them.

Again, weird how only the buyer has to be responsible for their actions, and not the seller. /shrug

Oh god no, it's not ethical. It's taking advantage of someone's inattention. It's definitely 'wrong.'

I was just stating that it's not a scam.

I got hit by that sort of thing myself. I lost 4mil on a couple of Bioanalysis mats about a year ago. After that, I made a rule to stay off the GTN after midnight and always double-check prices before I hit Yes on the Confirm window.

It is really very simple.

1. You believe the person listing the item manipulated the numbers to try and trick/deceive someone into paying more. Then it is a scam by definition.

2. You believe the person listing the item just likes commas and decimal points and had no intention of actually listing it at really high price in the hopes that someone would be deceived into clicking it: Then it was a mistake an not a scam.

It really isn't relevant whether or not the buyer "could" have seen through the deception if they had paid more attention to detail.

Edited by Erasimus

The seller isn't responsible to society about their pricing,

They are if their pricing is intentionally misleading to trick someone in making a mistaken purchase.

but to themselves, society isn't responsible for the buyers buying it either. It is the buyers responsibility plain and simple. yes people make mistakes, but you have to pay for them and hopefully learn from it.

The law actually would disagree with you on this. It recognizes when people try to scam others through commerce (ex.: price gouging on batteries after a natural disaster).

The buyer already has learned not to spend too much for something that is not fair, that isn't the point. Sometimes human beings are human beings and f up. Doesn't mean they should be 'served on a platter' for someone unscrupulous, ready to be taken advantaged of.

It has NOTHING to do with a lack of compassion. It has EVERYTHING to do with people refusing to accept responsibility for THEIR OWN mistakes and attempting to put the blame on others.

Sure it does... the seller has none, a complete lack of compassion, just like people posting in this thread defending the practice...

I can only imagine that the hearts and minds of such people are along the same lines as these piles of scum, but such scum exists all over the world, sad to say...

Nobody is right 100% of the time. Nobody never makes a mistake, ever. There shouldn't be someone with a trap waiting for you, when you reaffirm your status as being a member of the Human Race (a.k.a. making a mistake).

Again, weird how only the buyer has to be responsible for their actions, and not the seller. /shrug

Because the seller didn't push the purchase button, the buyer did. Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but there is no "do over" button in the world so, you have to accept your mistakes and learn from them and maybe pay more attention in the future. I make mistakes all the time, I don't blame others for my mistakes, because they are mine.

It is really very simple.

1. You believe the person listing the item manipulated the numbers to try and trick/deceive someone into paying more. Then it is a scam by definition.

2. You believe the person listing the item just likes commas and decimal points and had no intention of actually listing it at really high price in the hopes that someone would be deceived into clicking it: Then it was a mistake an not a scam.

It really isn't relevant whether or not the buyer "could" have seen through the deception if they had paid more attention to detail.

No, I do believe that they're setting out to take advantage of impatient and inattentive people.

I'm just saying that doing so isn't a scam since there's no trickery involved. There's no obfuscation of the 'real' price. The real price is staring the buyer in the face. They're just not paying attention to it.

This is unethical, but it's definitely not a scam.

Does the seller have any responsibility to the society he/she lives in? Or can he/she do *** they want at will?

The seller placed an item on the GTN for a specific price. That price NEVER CHANGED. That item NEVER CHANGED.

The information is there to be seen. The seller is not hiding anything. The listed item and the listed price are right there for anyone to see.

The buyer agreed to purchase said item for the price listed. The buyer received said item for the listed price. The buyer got exactly what he agreed to purchase for the price he agreed to pay. He even had to click the confirmation that he wanted to purchase that specific item for that specific price. How is that NOT the buyer's fault if he spent more than he wanted to spend?

They are if their pricing is intentionally misleading to trick someone in making a mistaken purchase.

The law actually would disagree with you on this. It recognizes when people try to scam others through commerce (ex.: price gouging on batteries after a natural disaster).

The buyer already has learned not to spend too much for something that is not fair, that isn't the point. Sometimes human beings are human beings and f up. Doesn't mean they should be 'served on a platter' for someone unscrupulous, ready to be taken advantaged of.

This does not apply to that, it is a high priced store offering the same thing at a much higher price because some people actually feel it is better to pay more to say they bought it at "over priced brand store" and then complaining you paid so much.

If they had managed to hide the price, or change the name of the item and level in the posting I would totally agree with you, but the price was shown, and it was what it said. It wasn't like they needed them because of a natural disaster, more like it was a pokemon card they wanted and instead of researching locations with lower prices bought the first they saw.

No, I do believe that they're setting out to take advantage of impatient and inattentive people.

I'm just saying that doing so isn't a scam since there's no trickery involved. There's no obfuscation of the 'real' price. The real price is staring the buyer in the face. They're just not paying attention to it.

This is unethical, but it's definitely not a scam.

No offense but you really need to look up the definition for scam. The intent to deceive is all that is needed for something to be a scam. Unethical is a more general, and a much more relative term. Of course, most of use would also consider all scams to be unethical.

Simply listing an item at a very high price is not a scam, but may be considered unethical I suppose. Manipulating the display of the price with the intent to decive is a completely different matter and is an attempt to scam.

Edited by Erasimus

Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but there is no "do over" button in the world so, you have to accept your mistakes and learn from them and maybe pay more attention in the future.

There are do-over's, I've literally returned items being sold accidentally at a low cost back to the seller, so they could redo the sale. I've literally told a cashier that they are charging me too little for something I'm buying, so that they could redo the sale (and not get in trouble for their drawer being short at the end of their shift).

>>> The World is what we make of it. <<<

Try to remember that, for all our sakes.

The seller isn't responsible to society about their pricing

^ That is a really sad worldview...

I would hope that most people would disagree with such a view, it lacks all compassion for fellow human beings.

There is more to life than money, anyone who doesn't see that... I feel very sad for...

This does not apply to that, it is a high priced store offering the same thing at a much higher price because some people actually feel it is better to pay more to say they bought it at "over priced brand store" and then complaining you paid so much.

If they had managed to hide the price, or change the name of the item and level in the posting I would totally agree with you, but the price was shown, and it was what it said. It wasn't like they needed them because of a natural disaster, more like it was a pokemon card they wanted and instead of researching locations with lower prices bought the first they saw.

I just meant to show that sellers have responsibilities as well, not to make that as an specific example to this discussion. That in our society, we ask ALL citizens to behave, not just the buyers.

There are do-over's, I've literally returned items being sold accidentally at a low cost back to the seller, so they could redo the sale. I've literally told a cashier that they are charging me too little for something I'm buying, so that they could redo the sale (and not get in trouble for their drawer being short at the end of their shift).

^ This... a thousand times this... and yes, in the real world, there are do-overs... If you're charged $1,000 when you thought you were paying $100, you generally have the right to return the item or get it fixed, and if the seller is a jerk, you have legal options as well, from calling your credit card company/bank to small claims court.

The seller can't just say "tough, suck it up buttercup". Well, they CAN, but they will often find themselves losing in the end if they do.

I totaled my camaro due to a mistake, there was no do over button to fix it and me. My friend is dead from a mistake, no do over button for him. If you make a mistake, it happened, and since you did it, take responsibility for it. Don't try saying that it was someone elses fault.

^ That is a really sad worldview...

I would hope that most people would disagree with such a view, it lacks all compassion for fellow human beings.

There is more to life than money, anyone who doesn't see that... I feel very sad for...

Money is just a tool and has no intrinsic value at all. But, it I were to open a store, not in an upper class area, and price the stuff 10X its real value, my store would close quickly, it isn't for society that I would open a store, but to gain the tools to do what I want with my life, so would instead find ways to make it a reasonable price. That isn't for society it is for myself, but others get a benefit also.

I totaled my camaro due to a mistake, there was no do over button to fix it and me. My friend is dead from a mistake, no do over button for him. If you make a mistake, it happened, and since you did it, take responsibility for it. Don't try saying that it was someone elses fault.

Well if I was going out on a limb with the loaf of bread analogy I think you might have went on a field trip with this one :D

Money is just a tool and has no intrinsic value at all. But, it I were to open a store, not in an upper class area, and price the stuff 10X its real value, my store would close quickly, it isn't for society that I would open a store, but to gain the tools to do what I want with my life, so would instead find ways to make it a reasonable price. That isn't for society it is for myself, but others get a benefit also.

I think this is the product of this latest penchant in society for folks who not just revere but not read Adam Smith, but revere and not read Ayn Rand ;)

Just curious, did you think that in this discussion we're having now I actually meant you could reverse death? Or snap fingers and instantly make loads of cash to make repairs to damaged vehicles?

Dude, way to over Apples vs. Oranges (and ignore!) my point. You're just trolling now.

If I could raise the dead, I'd be in Vegas, doing two shows a night.

I cant help shaking my head at the people bickering back and forth, i notice this all the time on jung ma, someone will put up 24 -packs- at 1,000,000 credits each.

Now they do this because they -know- people will see the pack name, and 1m credits and -assume- some loon put up a -hypercrate- for 1m credits and quickly click without verifying thinking they are getting a steal if a deal and they need to snap them up before someone else does.

Wrong or right aside, bottom line is its up to the buyer to pay attention and verify everything they are purchasing.

If your too drunk, stoned, high as a kite, tired or in a rush to do so, then you shouldnt be shopping in that state.

I just meant to show that sellers have responsibilities as well, not to make that as an specific example to this discussion. That in our society, we ask ALL citizens to behave, not just the buyers.

The seller has a responsibility to do what is best for themselves, if you don't need the money/credits you can price it high and let it take a long time to sell, but, if you are running a business, you need to find a way to be competitive instead to stay in business and make your profit on volume sales instead of on one or you go out of business and then have no credits/money. That also would be your own fault.

Non-sequitur FTW! /golfclap