Level synch = death of SWTOR

Tahra

It is always the same small group upset about it. Most of the people in game talking about it don't care, or willing to wait to see how it is.

It is not that big of a deal, and I see no reason why it should be optional as well as long as it is balance right. In fact, from what others are saying more reason not to have it optional.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might someone point me to where they have answered the following issue .

When doing seeker mission and macro binocular , both of which are post LvL 52 missions, you go back to lower level planets. ( one of the many reasons I go back to lower level planets on higher level characters)

However the mobs near the dread seeds or in the seeker drop zones are often higher level ie 50-55.

Trying not to spoiler You are also attached by higher level mobs as you do the quest , even on these low planets as it is assumed you are level 52 up .

Have they said how this will be handled.

The only 2 downsides I can think of are: 1) that toggled people and non-toggled people would have to be in different instances of the planet, but that's only a minor downside imo. 2) non-toggled people shouldn't be able to receive rewards for the weekly heroics (logically), but that seems doable programming-wise. You toggle it on; weekly rewards go off. And only if you did an heroic in the 'toggled version' instance, will you receive a reward.

I really don't get it why Bioware didn't make this optional in the first place.

Apologies if I'm being dense, why would people have to be in different instances, it's the character being down levelled rather than the mob be up levelled. It would be a toggle on the character. A natural level 18 can exist in the same instance as a level 65 so why not a down levelled 18 with a level 65. In any case, even if that were necessary, it's still a better situation than no option at all.

That's why people will only be playing level 65 stuff, they will not return to old planets because they'll gain nothing, and be underleveled.

I don't know about that. I'd still go back to Tattooine if there was a challenge to it. i wouldn't even need shiny new rewards. Whether or not a levelsynched toon still has a challenge remains to be seen.

Spending time playing the game and levelling up isn't hard - it's the easiest part of this game - you didn't have to EARN those levels... they simply came from time spent.

Ops aside, as they have their own group restrictions, many parts of most of end game content has been solo-able. I doubt this will change in 4.0.

What is your point exactly?

And by saying those levels mean nothing because they simply come from time spent, are you saying levels mean squad? So why bother?

Just get rid of levels all together because well, time spent isn't important, what is exactly?

Is it perhaps the story, the fact that you progress your character through it. That it gives you the impression your character grows in power. To be fair, that's not the case with all stories.

Yeah they would, but you know no one's going to use that toggle and "gimp" themselves.

Given the full statement of my original post about being able to force sync for world pvp, they are still at an advantage.

As it stands now they are still at an advantage, which makes the "no option toggle" defense of world pvp mute.

BUT BUT BUT, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND...<drum roll> ....THE VISION™!

This change brought to you by the Fixing Things That Aren't Broken Department, in conjunction with the We Do What We Want division of We Know What's Fun Better Than You Inc.

-twitches with a PTSD flashback from ME3 ending-

/Casey Hudson "SPECULATIONS!" /end Casey Hudson

I know right, its shocking that you'd need to do group content in an MMO!

That's why all the flashpoints have solo modes now, right?

Maybe I don't want to. Maybe I have better things to do than wait on some random idiot I was forced to pick up in General chat. What does it matter to you how I want to play this game? No one is telling you that you shouldn't group if you want to. A lot of people are saying that they shouldn't have to group if they don't want to, though, and for some reason a lot of people are trying to tell them that they should be forced into it.

How's that work, exactly?

What is your point exactly?

And by saying those levels mean nothing because they simply come from time spent, are you saying levels mean squad? So why bother?

Just get rid of levels all together because well, time spent isn't important, what is exactly?

Is it perhaps the story, the fact that you progress your character through it. That it gives you the impression your character grows in power. To be fair, that's not the case with all stories.

Your previous post has a sense of entitlement over the content... that entitlement hasn't been earnt. Now you will have to earn it... that's all. If some planetary mobs are cause for concern, well :/

Without getting into the pro's and con's of a vertical levelling system (I enjoy games both with and without), the fact is this game is a very traditional vertical levelling game. If you have a game where people have played for years with their vertical levelled characters, you shouldn't be surprised that they get upset when somebody comes along as takes those levels away.

Yes people do enjoy going back and stomping mobs. That's one of the enjoyable things (for some people) with a vertical levelling game. There is also exploration that is easier when higher level, and achievements, and datacrons, and heroics.

I don't agree they should drop the vertical levelling system, you might find it horrible and stupid, and would probably appreciate a game that didn't go this route, but a lot of people enjoy vertical levelling systems, so changing the fundamentals of the game would (as evidenced here) alienate a lot of people.

That's also a good argument. Well worded.

This game was all about the vertical levelling system for years, and now that's taken away from us, to some extent. If it was there in the first place, that would be ok, although I wouldn't have played it probably.

At least then there was a choice.

I know right, its shocking that you'd need to do group content in an MMO!

So how often do you RP? RP should be mandatory too, after all, it's an MMORPG, right?

:rolleyes:

Never mind that all MMO means is "massive multiplayer online". Hey, there's a lot of us, and we're all online. Condition met, now I'm going to do something I enjoy, rather than wait around to find a bunch of random strangers, each of which has a chance of being a troll, griefer, idiot, spaz, ninja-looter, the sort of twerp who constantly screams SPACEBAR! in group chat, or whatever other sort of PuGtard I might discover that day.

That's why all the flashpoints have solo modes now, right?

Maybe I don't want to. Maybe I have better things to do than wait on some random idiot I was forced to pick up in General chat. What does it matter to you how I want to play this game? No one is telling you that you shouldn't group if you want to. A lot of people are saying that they shouldn't have to group if they don't want to, though, and for some reason a lot of people are trying to tell them that they should be forced into it.

How's that work, exactly?

Well said.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Overall, I like the idea of implementing a level synch - but I do think that having it be optional would be an improvement over the mandatory system they seem to be going with as of now.

Also:

When doing seeker mission and macro binocular , both of which are post LvL 52 missions, you go back to lower level planets. ( one of the many reasons I go back to lower level planets on higher level characters)

However the mobs near the dread seeds or in the seeker drop zones are often higher level ie 50-55.

Trying not to spoiler You are also attached by higher level mobs as you do the quest , even on these low planets as it is assumed you are level 52 up .

I would not be remotely surprised if this is something they overlooked / didn't consider, and if so, that will be hilarious until they fix it.

I can't remember - do those spawned enemies from the Macro / Seeker quests key off of your level the way the Bounty Contract targets and Rakghoul Resurgence spawns do? Or are they always just around level 52?

If they key off of your current level, then I suspect BW will probably have it working fine, I'm guessing they'll have thought through making sure that the level synch system is compatible with the Bounty and Rak Events, and those could be handled the same way. But if they just spawn level 52s, then... yeah, like I said, wouldn't surprise me if that got overlooked. :i_tongue:

Edited by DarthDymond

If they add a toggle, I wouldn't care one bit.

And that seems to be the feeling even from people who want and are for the system. In other words:

Current Situation: People wanting the system=Happy, People not wanting the system=Unhappy

With a toggle: People wanting the system=Happy. People not wanting the system=Happy

What am I missing here, it's a no brainer Bioware. Either you alienate a percentage of your customers, or you don't alienate a percentage of your customers. It's not one of those situations where either way a percentage will be unhappy, it seems a toggle will suit everybody whether for or against.

This is 12x and a lack of a toggle all over again, except this is a bigger deal for a lot of people, and applies permanently not just for a temporary event.

/sigh

As someone who always seems to out level planet content as I am leveling, this will make planet content worth doing once I have passed the recommended level.

For those who have maxed level and would like the option to not be levelsync create a petition for an item like the 12xXP option out that was obtainable for those that didn't want the 12xXP.

Again another good pro for the system, which wouldn't be denied with a toggle.

There are also bonus series on planets that are like 10 levels above planets, so same rule applies here.

That's why level sync is very bad idea.

So how often do you RP? RP should be mandatory too, after all, it's an MMORPG, right?

Do you even know what MMO stand for?

Many Men Online RolePlaying Girls.

Jokes aside, I do also RP, believe it or not. And on a PVP server of all things. Who would have guessed.

But no, its not something you _have_ to do. I just keeps you from soloing stuff that wasnt intended for soloing.

Edited by Kiesu

A toggle is exactly what I want. Gonna repost my own point of view from my thread:

Level scaling needs to be optional. It's a great feature, if you want it. I can't deny that it offers some advantages if you want to go back and help friends or something - but only if that's what you want. I don't. I don't want to be forced to find a group for old content. I didn't enjoy finding a group for it when it wasn't outdated; why would I want to now? I don't want to deal with trash mobs while I'm trying to RP. I don't want to have to kill every single trash mob between myself and my destination. And I shouldn't have to, if I don't want to. I'd be okay with reduced or old reward rates while scaling is turned off, but it needs to be optional.

Thankyou DakhathKilrathi, you echo my thoughts completely, and actually more eloquently than I manage, so thankyou.

A toggle is exactly what I want. Gonna repost my own point of view from my thread:

Level scaling needs to be optional. It's a great feature, if you want it. I can't deny that it offers some advantages if you want to go back and help friends or something - but only if that's what you want. I don't. I don't want to be forced to find a group for old content. I didn't enjoy finding a group for it when it wasn't outdated; why would I want to now? I don't want to deal with trash mobs while I'm trying to RP. I don't want to have to kill every single trash mob between myself and my destination. And I shouldn't have to, if I don't want to. I'd be okay with reduced or old reward rates while scaling is turned off, but it needs to be optional.

I totally agree, make it optional or don't make level sync.

Edited by -Spc

I saw that Level-Sync is not optional and the first thing I did was cancel my sub and sight that was the reason. Option are good forcing stupid **** on player is bad. I see that clearly the dev don't listen to players. I would love to hear the reason they thought this was [a] good [idea[.

My sub runs out at the end of October.

Because of the Blur trailer that premiered live at E3 2015, and the nico okarr companion, I subbed for 6months on July 30th. I was really happy and excited about any new expansion.

I haven't made up my mind how outraged I am about level sync, depends on how much extra time it adds to daily planets like Illum, Section X, The Black Hole, etc. If it adds too much time and reduces credits/hour. I'll have to try crafting for credits. (This could be a possible reason for levelsync, boosting crafting by nerfing dailies credits/hour)

I'm here until January 2016.

By that time Battlefront 3 will be out, I'll have watched Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens. So much will have changed in the Star Wars-verse.

Edited by Falensawino

Your previous post has a sense of entitlement over the content... that entitlement hasn't been earnt. Now you will have to earn it... that's all. If some planetary mobs are cause for concern, well :/

I went over my last post, couldn't find any entitlement. Unless you mean that I feel entitled to one shot mobs. I do feel that yes. This is a level based game after all.

If you, Bioware in this case, are going to make/release a game based on levels, I feel entitled to kill certain things at a certain level, is that a weird concept?

I doubt this change will affect me all that much. The only time I really go back to the low level planets on my high level characters is usually to help someone kill a quest boss. Usually the quest bosses are deep inside caves/buildings. In order to reach the person I want to help, I will now have to fight my way to them. What use to be a 5 minute job is now like a 20 minute job. That is about the only issue I may have with this. Seems like this would be a good time for a universal summoning system.

Many Men Online RolePlaying Girls.

Jokes aside, I do also RP, believe it or not. And on a PVP server of all things. Who would have guessed.

But no, its not something you _have_ to do. I just keeps you from soloing stuff that wasnt intended for soloing.

First of all, "Intended" is one of the top-10 bull**** arguments in MMO discussions.

Second, if they didn't "intend" for content to be soloed, why did they put in things like the GSI droid, or the mechanism that makes it almost impossible for "grayed out" mobs to hit you in combat?