4.0 The dumbification of SWTOR.

SaerethDL

Does anyone agree with this? with all the rumors about it feels like they are dumbing the game down so that toddlers can even play it.

#1 Stats Crush

#2 Companions Auto Scaled, no gear

#3 Letting people buy 60's

#4 Skill Trees squished even further

#5 downscaling-upscaling

#6 Bolstering, why does gear even matter

The DUMBIFICATION OF SWTOR

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree.

None of the things you are pointing to matter at all to establish "difficulty" in the game. None of it.

If boss mechanics disappeared, you'd have a point. If you could get max level gear via solo flashpoints with the god droid companion, you'd have a point. If there was an iWIN button added for subscribers in PVP, you'd have a point.

But things like my example aren't happening. So, no...the things you point to do not make the game "dumbed down". Only "less annoying to level".

Does anyone agree with this? with all the rumors about it feels like they are dumbing the game down so that toddlers can even play it.

#1 Stats Crush

#5 downscaling-upscaling

1-messing with stats is always a tough thing

2-honestly i think this is a good then so you don't have to worry about wrong stats on a comp

3-why is this dumbification?

4-i can see some skills being removed if they are not use

5-nothing confirmed on this

6-huh?

I feel like you added some things just to try and force a point. Multiple information you mentioned shouldn't even be factored into your argument because they relate to different areas. I'm with Kurin on this one. Edited by Mymph

1> Stats are pointless anyway. IF we had to balance two or three main stats on each character, you'd have a point, but as it stands, having just the one stat is a daft decision.

2> True enough, though gearing 64 companions (1 character of each class) requires far more time than any reasonable person has, and with new companions (Nico at least, probably more), it'd only get worse.

3> I have no problem with people buying level 60's. It's not exactly difficult, even without 12x experience, and with it, it may in fact do more harm than good anyway.

4> Not really happening as far as I know.

5> Not sure what I think of downscaling. I'd have wanted it on some of my characters to keep levelling interesting - Especially my first character who spent half of each planet 8-10 levels over. But I also like the option of slaughtering all who dare stand before me...

6> Bolstering has never as far as I've seen been done well...

#1 Stats Crush

#5 downscaling-upscaling

1- All the gearing options goinig away will be missed, just ask my aim Guardian or my will/strength Scrapper.

2- Buying companions a new set of gear every two to three plantes has always been a challenge only the best of the best could face.

3- Leveling a char to 60 is a tremendous task requireing not only skill and a complex understanding of game mechanics but also almost a week of dedication.

4- Even if skill trees would be cut down, which has not been announced in any form, it would probably at 'worst' counter the creeping skillbloat

5- How exactly is doing content at the level it has been designed for making the game easier?

6- Because everyone knows that nothing brings more fun to a game than not being able to take part in content because you have not finished the obligatory gear grind yet.

#1 Stats Crush

#5 downscaling-upscaling

Not sure how that is Dumbing down the game. Streamlining sure. But nothing about they way any of that works now has anything to do with intelligence.

2-honestly i think this is a good then so you don't have to worry about wrong stats on a comp

Not sure that is the simplest solution for that. A pop-up for each companion on their stat page when summoned would solve people not knowing what their main stats are.

I like being able to customize companion stat builds, like deciding if I want a crit focused Sniper companion, or do I want more consistent average damage and go power focused.

If this was because of being able to customize appearances. Mod gear covers most customizing. If customization was the reason, why not give them all their own outfit sections like characters?

Will the auto-scaling take away stat customization for them with gear? Then no thank you.

Either way, still not dumbing down.

Edited by Deyjarl

Nothing wrong with the stats. Dumbing down stuff or just making it more simple is just the way MMO's are going.

PLAYING still requires you to have some skills and/or coordination.

Its a welcome change and I suspect has multiple reasons associated with going this direction.

#1 Stats Crush

#5 downscaling-upscaling

LOL, after reading all the comments before my response tells me our opinion is in the minority on the forum. I agree. There are other thing such as the crafting changes that you omitted from your list.

LOL, after reading all the comments before my response tells me our opinion is in the minority on the forum. I agree. There are other thing such as the crafting changes that you omitted from your list.

I'd hardly use the word "dumbification" when they are giving every profession highly valuable recipes and making every profession viable. To each his own, I gess.

#1 Stats Crush

#5 downscaling-upscaling

I agree with some of what you are saying... They are dumbing down the game... Part of the enjoyment in this game is options... It's starting to feel a bit console to me now... I guess that's not an issue for all the console generation players out there... They probably like the changes because they don't need to think as much about what to do...

Companion gearing is a real bumber for me,,. I equipe all my main comps with pvp gear to do OWPVP... This won't be an option any more...

Stats crush as you put it is also something I don't like... It removes another customisation feature

If they are dumbing down the skill trees anymore, they might as well just give us all the skills at lvl 1 and be done with it...

Instant 60s... Well most MMOs do this once they reach higher lvls from multiple expansions... It's how they get new people to try the game who don't want to grind all the way... So it's neither here nor there...

Bolster is definitely important in pvp... Not so sure able pve... As it stands the current revan solo missions are way too easy... They should be much harder...

Don't know what you mean by downscaling p/up scaling ??

Not sure that is the simplest solution for that. A pop-up for each companion on their stat page when summoned would solve people not knowing what their main stats are.

I like being able to customize companion stat builds, like deciding if I want a crit focused Sniper companion, or do I want more consistent average damage and go power focused.

If this was because of being able to customize appearances. Mod gear covers most customizing. If customization was the reason, why not give them all their own outfit sections like characters?

Will the auto-scaling take away stat customization for them with gear? Then no thank you.

Either way, still not dumbing down.

i think it will but not 100%