New Anti Aliasing and Performance changes experiences

MeNaCe-NZ

Hi all.

Just curious to get some more feedback from everyone on their experiences with the new changes we just got in the patch 3.3.2.

What we know so far it seems is that medium of very high settings apply a layer of FXAA thatm akes everything quite washed out and blurry and many people are bypassing this form of AA it's applying.

What I personally am more interested in is the performance hit people are experiencing when using the MSAA ( assumedly ) that is applied with the High and Very High settings.

Personally I am taking a hit from 96 FPS down to 30 FPS when I use the High AA setting @ 1440p resolution. When I change to 1080p resolution I can get it to about 60-70 FPS but all movement is super jittery even though FPs does seem to stay above 60.

My rig should run high AA easy I assume. R9 290, i5 4690k @ 4.3. I'm thinking it's driver issues but before I delve to deep into the driver lottery I was curious to see if other had experienced big FPS dips with this setting in particular and how they got around it and could still use High AA?

So far it seems many other people are getting good performance with High AA with lesser hardware than mine which is why I would prefer to try find a afactor that seperates my performance from other people's to try work out exactly why it is doing what it's doing.

Other points of interest with this update:

What sort of performance arep eople getting in WZ/OPs now? Better or worse?

I hear there is quite a bit of pop in occurring with this update, anyone find a way to remedy this or improve the draw distance etc.?

Also I've heard many players are experiencing NPC jitter - is this a global change or have people again found a way to lessen this impact?

I think that coves it all but it would be nice to have a more consolidated place to talk of the recent changes since the topics I've viewed all seem to deal with separate issues separately and it can be a bit harder to find the info one wants.

1080P and all graphics set to highest setting and sitting around 90-110fps when among a great many people. Movement is smooth, not jittery. Nothing blurry on my end. Actually everything is rather crisp looking. For me the game seems to run better than before and I didn't have many issues before. Could even turn shadow cascades all the way up and not have a major impact to performance.

Card is a MSI Lightning 290X. Still using the Omega 14.12 drivers

CPU Intel i7-4770K @4.2ghz

Corsair Neutron SSD

While usual gameplay seems to run more smoothly, yesterday after patch doing a 16man hardmode operation was an absolute frame killer. Though I dont have before-patch frame comparison on 16m count, it felt a LOT more laggy on 16m fights now. Got 10-15 frames during a bossfight with 16people shooting lightning and fire at boss while other boss visual mechanics were also going on. That was hilariously bad, even after disabling AA and shadows, usually those fix most frame drops.

Sitting on i7-4790, GTX970

1080P and all graphics set to highest setting and sitting around 90-110fps when among a great many people. Movement is smooth, not jittery. Nothing blurry on my end. Actually everything is rather crisp looking. For me the game seems to run better than before and I didn't have many issues before. Could even turn shadow cascades all the way up and not have a major impact to performance.

Corsair Neutron SSD

Quite old drivers, interesting. I don't think I've got the latest but I have got fairly recent from using them for the performance increases they brought to witcher 3.

Worst case I could downgrade to 14.12 and see if I can get similar performance since our cards aren't that different really especially with mine running overclocked.

• 1 year later...

Corsair Neutron SSD

High looks soooooo much better than very high. Very high = A blurry mess. On crappy nvidia cards anyway.

Edited by BounceDK

I take a hit, especially in pvp. I find the best settings for pvp are to have shadows off. Tree and grass quality/distance low. Anti Aliasing on low to medium. If the server is having a bad lag day I will turn settings down even more to make it a bit smoother.

I've also got a great system that should be able to easily handle those settings. My understanding of the game engine is that it doesn't efficiently use the graphics card or graphics memory, but relies heavily on the CPU for most of those settings. So even though they have tried to put more emphasis back on the graphics card with some of these features and upgrades, the engine just isn't setup properly for it. They are basically trying to build a tall building on a sandy foundation and it will always be unstable and inconsistent.

i7 4790k @4.6 water cooled

16Gb g.skill memory OC

Asus Maximus Formula MB

Samsung 850pro SSDs

Sapphire RX 480 Nitro

Enermax 1200w PSU

Since launch I've upgraded my CPU every tock of Intels CPU refresh (benefits of work) and I always overclock. I've noticed that the game runs much better over 4.0GHz. There is noticeable difference when you just go from 3.9 to 4.0. Where as there is basically no difference if you go from 3.2 to 3.9. There is also not much difference when you go from 4.1 to 4.4. I can only deduct that there is something in the engine creating a sweet spot between 4.0 and 4.1.

And what ever you do, don't use an AMD CPU. It doesn't matter how good it is or what speed, swtor seems to hate them. I've got an old Pentium together with a GTX580 that out performs any AMD setup I've tried (once again all work related).

For PvP performance the best settings I have seen have, remove bloom, and shadows. These 2 will provide the best bang for buck when things get hectic. Keep the AA and LOD to a minimum and PvP will be playable, but if you play it on settings that make PvE play smooth and look great will kill PvP, not sure why the difference, but I did like the option WOW put in by having different graphics options for Raids. They could enable this for PvP in SWTOR which enables a different configuration to enable your not to need to change the settings for PvE and PvP.

For PvP performance the best settings I have seen have, remove bloom, and shadows. These 2 will provide the best bang for buck when things get hectic. Keep the AA and LOD to a minimum and PvP will be playable, but if you play it on settings that make PvE play smooth and look great will kill PvP, not sure why the difference, but I did like the option WOW put in by having different graphics options for Raids. They could enable this for PvP in SWTOR which enables a different configuration to enable your not to need to change the settings for PvE and PvP.

I also noticed on a recent nostalgic trip to WoW, that you can turn the new settings back to the old ones before they did that massive graphics update. This was a great idea because I really hate the look of the new graphics skins and settings. All the characters went from cute to ugly.

But we'll never need to worry about that because the game engine couldn't handle a major graphics update like that. They would need to port the whole game to a new engine and that will never happen.