Char imbalance: mara vs merc

Zajcew

Ok so this has been disscussed to the death plenty of times before, im sure, still the problem persists and I would love if someone could explain this to me.

I have a lvl 33 mara. I don't know how many warzones I did with him, but he has a Valor rank of 22, so definitelly quite a lot. Now the thing is: no matter what I do in PvP I always struggle to get to even top half as far as dmg is conserned. Most of the time I don't even get the 75k dmg done medal. Before you ask, yes I do have lvl appropriate, mostly orange gear. Now you could say: you just suck at playing mara, and that's prolly the case, I certainly seen ppl who claim they do a lot of dmg as mara and they love it for PvP.

But here's the thing. I just made myself an alt. He's lvl 11 merc, and I just did my first PvP with him. Bear in mind that's the first time EVER I'm doing PvP as merc, so essentially I'm just pressing buttons, mostly just spamming the basic attack and hoping for the best. I end up in the top half, scoring 4 medals and doing over 110k dmg. That's with a lvl 11 char going against ppl who were mostly lvl 35+. How the hell does that work?

Her's another question: how is dmg even calculated?

My lvl 33 mara dmg numbers are:

Damage (Pri): 257 - 315

Damage (Sec): 35 - 53

Bonus Damage: 139,6

My lvl 11 merc dmg numbers are:

Damage (Pri): 716 - 1056

Damage (Sec): 117 - 219

Bonus Damage: 32,5

Note: both are WITHOUT PvP stat boosts, mara with Unnatural Might, merc with Hunter's Boon.

Again: could someone plz explain how the hell does that work?

Edited by Zajcew

Bounty Hunters are the most Overpowerd Class in the game right now

A Ranged Class that gets the Heaviest Armor doesn't even make sense, and should have been dropped in the conceptual phase

No idea how this made it into Alpha Testing, much less Beta Testing, and the fact that it's still here for release is... well, absurd

A Ranged Class that gets the Heaviest Armor doesn't even make sense, and should have been dropped in the conceptual phase

No idea how this made it into Alpha Testing, much less Beta Testing, and the fact that it's still here for release is... well, absurd

Actually, most overpowered AC goes to Sorc/Sages. Too much damage(Dots ignoring all defense, bug maybe?), too much control, too much healing even as a Madness/Balance DPS let alone the escape options they have.

Mercs/Commandos damage dies if they move, that's their weakness. As a Powertech I get in their face and laugh at them as they do no damage due to interrupts.

I can understand some slight balancing issues, especially at launch, all mmo have them. But this doesn't seem like a slight balancing issue, this, to me, is a GIANT blancing issue. Seems like almost everybody playes either Bounty Hunter or Sorcerer and almost nobody plays Warrior, especially mara (obiously the same thing prolly applies to republic as well).

This get's so riddicolous that it even messes up the economy of the game. I've been investing HUGE amounts of money in to synthweaving medium armor (as that's what maras wear) but since nobody is playing mara nobody wan't to buy my stuff.

Display bug, 716 - 1056 is actually 71.6 - 105.6 if you check the tooltip.

This.

And OP, maybe you are just better as a Merc?

One of my friends sucked as a Commando, but when he jumped over to Shadow he found himself doing FAR better. Is a the Shadow class grossly overpowered? No. His playstyle is more in line with it.

I myself like Vanguard. Fits my playstyle. Would I rather play Imperial Sniper? Yes. But I suck with that particular playstyle.

Oh. And doublecheck your gear. Also, levels don't matter muc in PvP. For a very limited instance, from level 32 to 47, my Vanguard has gained a whole 2 HP in warzones. 2... 2... Not 2000. Not 200. Not 20.

But I gained PvP 40 gear, switched out mods for level 46+ blues and have a purple barrel in my gun compared to a green at 32. But I'm still 2 health above. Just 2. Sure that isn't Aim, or Cunning, or DPS. But 2 health? Really? Oh well.

BOLSTER FTW.

i have 90% armour pen ability

so heavy armour = no problem

thats on my sent :p

Learn to play. Nothing is close to balanced before level 50, when people got equal gear.

Marauder is fine, I played in warzones with a Sentinel from my guild and he literally ***** the damage-done chart, and considering I played Gunslinger that was pretty damn impressive.

Bounty Hunter is not overpowered for having heavy armor, it's part of their mechanic. It's like arguing that Smuggler/Agent should not have cover, because it effectively makes us dodge hits. Quit the whining, play the game, leave the design to people who have a clue about it.

We really don't need this game to become another WoW where every class is nerfed down until they're all boring, because of crying noobs. Play at level 50, get good gear, use all your abilities, spec properly. If you still have problems, submit a proper complaint to BW about why you think A should be changed to B in the context of C and so on.

Learn to play. Nothing is close to balanced before level 50, when people got equal gear.

Marauder is fine, I played in warzones with a Sentinel from my guild and he literally ***** the damage-done chart, and considering I played Gunslinger that was pretty damn impressive.

Bounty Hunter is not overpowered for having heavy armor, it's part of their mechanic. It's like arguing that Smuggler/Agent should not have cover, because it effectively makes us dodge hits. Quit the whining, play the game, leave the design to people who have a clue about it.

We really don't need this game to become another WoW where every class is nerfed down until they're all boring, because of crying noobs. Play at level 50, get good gear, use all your abilities, spec properly. If you still have problems, submit a proper complaint to BW about why you think A should be changed to B in the context of C and so on.

Wow, so I asked a question and that makes me a "whining noob" now? Seriously?

Lol

You cited Battleground Damage Done as a reliable parser, in the same post as telling someone to "learn to play"

Low level toons freshly out of starter planet benefit from bolster in extreme ways. This is why many exploit the mechanic to PWN in pvp. It has been reported for a very long time.

Basically you have zero knowledge as to how the merc will play at level 50 along with all other classes with no bolster.

I play a marauder too. My feeling is that he's just not killy enough - and I was considering switching to carnage as it's more quick in dealing the damage. I wouldnt have a problem with the marauder being vulnerable to fire, if he was able to start shredding you to pieces very quickly as soon as he got in range.

In general, I feel that all the other classes are much easier to play than sith warrior/ jedi knight. Being able to attack from a distance is a huge boon, expecially if you can actually keep that distance. Even the fact of standing on a higher platform is very damaging for the meleer that wants to attack you.

Ok so this has been disscussed to the death plenty of times before, im sure, still the problem persists and I would love if someone could explain this to me.

I have a lvl 33 mara. I don't know how many warzones I did with him, but he has a Valor rank of 22, so definitelly quite a lot. Now the thing is: no matter what I do in PvP I always struggle to get to even top half as far as dmg is conserned. Most of the time I don't even get the 75k dmg done medal. Before you ask, yes I do have lvl appropriate, mostly orange gear. Now you could say: you just suck at playing mara, and that's prolly the case, I certainly seen ppl who claim they do a lot of dmg as mara and they love it for PvP.

But here's the thing. I just made myself an alt. He's lvl 11 merc, and I just did my first PvP with him. Bear in mind that's the first time EVER I'm doing PvP as merc, so essentially I'm just pressing buttons, mostly just spamming the basic attack and hoping for the best. I end up in the top half, scoring 4 medals and doing over 110k dmg. That's with a lvl 11 char going against ppl who were mostly lvl 35+. How the hell does that work?

Her's another question: how is dmg even calculated?

My lvl 33 mara dmg numbers are:

Damage (Pri): 257 - 315

Damage (Sec): 35 - 53

Bonus Damage: 139,6

My lvl 11 merc dmg numbers are:

Damage (Pri): 716 - 1056

Damage (Sec): 117 - 219

Bonus Damage: 32,5

Note: both are WITHOUT PvP stat boosts, mara with Unnatural Might, merc with Hunter's Boon.

Again: could someone plz explain how the hell does that work?

I made a thread about exactly the same thing in the pvp section. Merc does so much more damage then sentinel/marauder and sentinel/marauder is supposed to be pure dps. It's so stupid

Because you're better with that class?

How can I be better with that class when I've been playing with it for literally just a couple of hrs? What, I have a natural talent to play merc and I just genetically suck at mara?

Also, I don't feel like the whole "it all levels out at 50" argument is valid. I don't have a lvl 50 char and I will not have one for quite some time. Shouldn't the playingfield be equal across all levels?

I know that a lot of ppl only play these games to race to max level as quickly as possibile and do end game content. I'm not one of those ppl. I wanna enjoy the whole ride, all the way through.

Edited by Zajcew

Try Operative - stunlock , crits for 5k, death before target gets up from the ground. Easy win.

Yeah, stuns are also a big problem in PvP for maras. 90% of time I close the distance, start to go through my rotation to try and shell out some dmg just to either be stunned or thrown off right in to the acid pit. It's extremally irritating.

The thing is though: I don't wanna play Operative, or Merc od whatever. I like the warrior storyline, characters and everything and I would like to see it through.

Seems like almost everybody playes either Bounty Hunter or Sorcerer and almost nobody plays Warrior, especially mara (obiously the same thing prolly applies to republic as well).

Actually - not at all!!

Sentinel is BY FAR the most played AC right after the Jedi Sage.

Bounty Hunters are just a lot cooler than Trooper so more people play those on empire side.

but yeah, I almost never join a warzone where Republic does not have at least 2 Sentinels on the team, I even had - I am not kidding - as much as 5 sentinels on the same team.

Actually - not at all!!

Bounty Hunters are just a lot cooler than Trooper so more people play those on empire side.

but yeah, I almost never join a warzone where Republic does not have at least 2 Sentinels on the team, I even had - I am not kidding - as much as 5 sentinels on the same team.

At +45 I've seen only a couple of Sentinels, most drop the class at mid game due to it sucking.

Actually - not at all!!

I was talking on the empire side and from the money making perspective.