The first son (get rid of the one hit kill)

jamiemcd

hi im playing as a jedi sage level 53 and really struggling to beat this boss fight known as the First Son and im really having a hard time trying to beat him as i am keep getting killed by his one hit kill ability which he uses to make the cave collapse on me and I find this really annoyin, frustrating and pathetic why oh why would the devs think this is a good idea to add this in the game it's not fair i just want to beat the boss. Maybe the devs could just get rid of this power altogether and make it more easyer:mad::mad::mad:

This was the first level 50 character I had so it was over two years ago since I beat him BUT, I seem to remember it's about when you time your interupts. Update your gear and your companions, use Heroic Moment, and time your interupts. It's been done by people since launch so I think you must be missing something in the mechanics.

(Thread is in the wrong place btw, might get moved/removed just fyi)

You could also use your intterupt ability, every class that I've played has one... Which is the intended mechanic.

but I'm not really sure what they are which one to use since I have so many abilitys :o

but I'm not really sure what they are which one to use since I have so many abilitys :o

You should take time to read the tooltips for your abilities, even the passives. Just hover over them in your Abilities screen (press "P" to open that).

You should take time to read the tooltips for your abilities, even the passives. Just hover over them in your Abilities screen (press "P" to open that).

managed to find it and tryed fighting him one more time and manged to beat him but still that one hit kill is still annoying :(

It's a mechanic of that fight.. you have to interrupt that. They shouldn't remove it, as there are many other fights in the game that require interrupts to accomplish. Learn to use your interrupt. It is your friend.

How did you get to 53 and not know what Mind Snap is?:confused:
I think people don't relly learn until it's absoloutely needed... Like it is in many harder bosses. Interupts are key to many fights in Ops, Boss fights and even PVP if you can keep track of it in all the mayhem, Interupt the healer for the win LOL. But you can learn a lot as someone said by hovering over each ability and reading the tool tips... I was actually in a flashpoint for the red Reaper and read his tool tip to figure out how to beat him after we had done a few unsuccesful attempts and were running low on time because a patch update maintenance break was coming in an hour. I read the tool tip told my sole other group member and together we beat the flash point. So reading as they say is fundamental RIF LOL.

I think people don't relly learn until it's absoloutely needed... Like it is in many harder bosses. Interupts are key to many fights in Ops, Boss fights and even PVP if you can keep track of it in all the mayhem, Interupt the healer for the win LOL. But you can learn a lot as someone said by hovering over each ability and reading the tool tips... I was actually in a flashpoint for the red Reaper and read his tool tip to figure out how to beat him after we had done a few unsuccesful attempts and were running low on time because a patch update maintenance break was coming in an hour. I read the tool tip told my sole other group member and together we beat the flash point. So reading as they say is fundamental RIF LOL.

Yah, and that's the other thing I do not comprehend. How can you play a game and not read every single thing there is about your character? This is also why I do not understand people wanting "guides". Everything I need to know about the Consular is right on my screen; are these people saying they can't take ten minutes to just read everything over, comprehend what they read, and then practice it?

Really?

The value of guides isn't to see what skill does what, check them on Dulfy. They go into the nitty gritty of the spec, the best stat priority, the best skill rotations and lots of neat tips and tricks on how to maximise your class to the fullest. I've been playing the game since launch pretty solid and they still help with little things that I might have missed or subtle reasons why one skill should have priority over another. If you play all 8 AC's and almost all of the AC's within the specs, then these guides are super helpful.

• 7 years later...

Watch the castbar. In this case, the oneshot ability has a pretty long cast time, and as a rule of thumb, the longer the cast time, the more powerful the ability is. Of course, you also learn by trial and error: If you notice that one specific ability just killed you, save your interrupts for it.

The only time I lost with this mission was the first time (at launch); after that, it was no problem.  When people ask for help, I ask them if they are using their interrupt for this ability, and after that, I usually get a Thank You for letting them know about this ability and how to work around it.  Most of the missions are simple in the class mission, and this one is not really a problem.

1 hour ago, spider-venom said:

I'd rather not lose if I can help it.

Alas, that's not how life (gaming) works. 

If you want to avoid losing before even trying, then, look up answers before you fight! Tada!

Doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me, but...

11 hours ago, spider-venom said:

I'd rather not lose if I can help it.

The ability name usually gives a hint about what it's doing. If you find something like "Nuke 'em and spread the ashes", you might expect something nasty, while if the ability is called like "Very basic attack", most likely it's not worth interrupting it.

Don't forget putting aside Mind Snap, force wave and force stun will both also interrupt casting. I've done this fight numerous times and don't find it a problem now. I can't remember if both force wave and force stun work on this fight, I seem to recall wave does but stun doesn't.