PvP and PvE differences?

DarthVaedus

I am a complete beginner to MMO's and I would love to eventually start doing PvP, but at the minute I am doing just PvE while I get used to the game. My question is, what changes would I need to make to my character if I went from PvE to PvP? Is it possible to have a single character for PvP and PvE. or does everybody have 2 seperate characters, one for each? I am using a Sith Juggernaut (Immortal) and I am using the first build from Phottek's guide. I don't want to have to make another character just for PvP :( What is the difference between regular gear and PvP gear? Can PvP gear be used in both PvE and PvP? I'm guessing that PvP gear is the pinnacle in gear and all the best gear will be PvP gear, but it's just a guess. I have done some reading around and it just leaves me confused and with more questions. I am so daunted and confused by this game lol :o Edited by DarthVaedus

Sure, you can PVP and PVE on the same character. At some point they might put in dual specs (so you could have a PVE talent build and a PVP one) but for now I think you should be fine with just one.

Main difference is that with a PVP build you are usually going to take a few talents that are specifically useful in PVP but not so much otherwise. Something like Unstoppable in the vengeance tree is a good example.

Other than that it is going to be about gear. At higher levels you will want Expertise on your gear for the damage reduction vs. other players. For a PVE set of gear you are going to want to prioritize the stas in that vengeance dps thread. That is basically it until we know things like how much hit you need at level 50 vs. other players (so your attacks dont miss) and other fairly minor details.

Also, just to clarify end-game PVE scenarios in this game are called 'Operations.' There are 3 tiers of difficulty, all of which reward different levels of gear. End-game PVE is usually referred to as 'raiding.'

PVE gear lacks a stat called 'expertise.' I'm not 100% certain exactly what it does, but I believe it both increases your damage against other players, and decreases the damage you take from other players.

If you're doing the hardest difficulty Operations you won't want to be wearing your PVP gear as 'Expertise' is useless in PVE, and it will more than likely be missing another stat that the equivalent PVE gear will have. Although usually frowned upon, PVP gear is more than enough to get you through the normal level Operations - in fact pretty much any gear is sufficient for them.

Hope it helps a bit!