Sniper/GS Solo vs. Group Performance

TheJollyRogers

I wouldn't really complain but there's a delay in the animation that causes a sniper/gs to enter cover in place and in that precious few seconds you are leapable. I've seen this plenty of times and I've been leaped to despite being in cover. And it isn't the 10m focus zealous leap either, but the 30m charge. Chalk it up to a buggy ui or lag, but it's very odd that snipers should have to get in and out of cover to make use of one of their most useful defensive abilities. A sniper out of cover is even easier to shut down than a merc.

Causing ballistic dampeners to refresh in cover is a pretty reasonable request considering the ability vanishes once you leave cover.

There are separate binds for natural cover and for taking cover in place. Use the latter and you will never have any delay.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are separate binds for natural cover and for taking cover in place. Use the latter and you will never have any delay.

This, how do people not know about this. The delay for going in and out of cover is miniscule.

The problem is not with Snipers. It's not with Assassins or Sorcs or Powertechs for being too strong either. The problem is that solo Q exists at all. It never should have. Ranked pvp is based around TEAM gameplay and a trinity composition. 1 tank, 1 heal, 2 dps. Using that, you can make almost any class or spec in the game work. Are there some that are easier to pull off? Of course. No MMO is 100% balanced perfectly. But ultimately in a 4v4, it mostly comes down to player skill, teamwork, and coordination.

So no, Sniper doesn't need buffed. Solo Q needs to be removed from the game.

If you had read what I said I specifically stated that i was using the bind to take cover in place, and even with that there is in fact a delay that allows you to get leaped to. And I'm not talking about the 10m focus leap, but rather the 30m one.

I don't bother with natural cover considering it doesn't even work with entrench.

This, how do people not know about this. The delay for going in and out of cover is miniscule.

I said I was specifically taking cover in place, not using natural cover. I'm aware of the distinction between the two.

The problem is not with Snipers. It's not with Assassins or Sorcs or Powertechs for being too strong either. The problem is that solo Q exists at all. It never should have. Ranked pvp is based around TEAM gameplay and a trinity composition. 1 tank, 1 heal, 2 dps. Using that, you can make almost any class or spec in the game work. Are there some that are easier to pull off? Of course. No MMO is 100% balanced perfectly. But ultimately in a 4v4, it mostly comes down to player skill, teamwork, and coordination.

Agreed.

I said I was specifically taking cover in place, not using natural cover. I'm aware of the distinction between the two.

Well then you should have no problem :) Nice to see you're still playing btw.

or...you know...it should work like group finder and only pop when trinity comps are available. but to be honest, trinity isn't even necessary. playing on a merc, I'm fine if there's at least a healer or a tank. granted, the tank has to be competent and there's always the chance for heal/tank roulette, but my point is even lowly mercs don't need a full trinity to be viable. just...you know...half of one.

anyway, I posted something to this effect yesterday, and nobody seems to care so...iunno. w/e. yolo isn't going anywhere. I'm fairly confident in that. best to work with it than piss in the wind about its elimination.

Agreed.

Well then you should have no problem :) Nice to see you're still playing btw.

You too, i watched your stream, doing 4v4 with your sniper on ranked, that's pretty brave lol.

But just to quickly recap, i do get leaped to sometimes while entering cover in place, i'm not sure if this is intended or a bug but it happens frequently enough to be noticeable and annoying.

That doesn't explain why Engineering and Virulence are garbage in all areas of pvp. They are barely fuctional in regs, let alone ranked.

The problem is that solo Q exists at all. It never should have. Ranked pvp is based around TEAM gameplay and a trinity composition.

CASUAL teams want NOT to get farmed - which is why they prefer NOT to use Group Ranked.

You can say that about half the specs in the game dude.

And then people claim that Group Ranked is about nothing but balanced teams ?

LOL

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Saying snipers are fine and deserve no changes because they have 1 spec that works in one area of pvp is utter bull****.

I don't think anyone has objected to changes to eng and vir specifically.

Edited by Kakisback

CASUAL teams want NOT to get farmed - which is why they prefer NOT to use Group Ranked.

And then people claim that Group Ranked is about nothing but balanced teams ?

LOL

If casuals dont want to get farmed, then we need mega server or cross server to ensure that proper ELO matchmaking can happen. Players getting farmed is a pvp population problem, not a pvp game type problem. You're effectively saying that casuals want to be matched up with good players that can carry them in solo, rather than forming their own team of friends and playing together. Personally, were I a casual player, I would find that insulting.

Saying snipers are fine and deserve no changes because they have 1 spec that works in one area of pvp is utter bull****.

It's an amazing logic... If we go down that path, one could argue to remove 2 of the 3 disciplines since we don't need the other 2 because their not viable, so it's totally fine... :rolleyes:

Honestly for snipers I would just settle for an ability that makes the other team in a 4v4 against the sniper, a sorc, an assassin and an operative say, "Hey, let's NOT focus the sniper. It'll just take too long to kill him."

Honestly for snipers I would just settle for an ability that makes the other team in a 4v4 against the sniper, a sorc, an assassin and an operative say, "Hey, let's NOT focus the sniper. It'll just take too long to kill him."

Yeah but all that does it make it so some other poor class gets focused first all of the time. The fact of the matter is there will always be a specific class that will always be focused all of the time.

Yeah but all that does it make it so some other poor class gets focused first all of the time. The fact of the matter is there will always be a specific class that will always be focused all of the time.

But why should it be snipers and mercs for multiple seasons? Why not make sorcs and sins the 'target' classes for season 6? The forum reaction at least would be hilarious ;)

Why should it have to be us in the first place? Just give all classes a certain immunity oh **** button. Then people will be focused for different reasons, depending on gear, role, or skill level.

To put it frankly, I'm not feeling particularly compassionate to other classes right now, so I'm going to be a hypocrite and say that I could care less if anyone else gets focused.

Yeah Sorcs totally haven't dealt with it for multiple seasons lol

They absolutely haven't. If they had, the percentage of solo ranked PVPers choosing to play Sorc would not have increased in every consecutive ranked season.

But why should it be snipers and mercs for multiple seasons? Why not make sorcs and sins the 'target' classes for season 6? The forum reaction at least would be hilarious ;)

That's a thing I don't even understand : How the *collective* of players decides "this is the one class we go after". I mean, it's almost like a hive mind ...

Or, a different theory : Someone writes that into the chat window, and all of the sheep folow that advice - and then word of mouth spreads ...

A third theory : people here in the forums write that "this class is easy to shut down" ... - And then word of mouth spreads this "forum information" ...

Anyway, these things stick hard. Best glue, believe me. So good that even FOTMs couldn't be eradicated, because the creating of FOTMs imho follows a similar pattern ...

Maybe people get constantly beaten by a certain class - and decide to use this class as well ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

That's a thing I don't even understand : How the *collective* of players decides "this is the one class we go after". I mean, it's almost like a hive mind ...

Or, a different theory : Someone writes that into the chat window, and all of the sheep folow that advice - and then word of mouth spreads ...

A third theory : people here in the forums write that "this class is easy to shut down" ... - And then word of mouth spreads this "forum information" ...

Anyway, these things stick hard. Best glue, believe me. So good that even FOTMs couldn't be eradicated, because the creating of FOTMs imho follows a similar pattern ...

Maybe people get constantly beaten by a certain class - and decide to use this class as well ...

No one has to say anything. Its just always been smart play to prioritize targets based on a combination of threat and ease to take down. No decent player needs to be told that snipers hit hard but are easy to kill with focus or that a healer is a power multiplier that makes everyone else stronger.

It sounds ridiculous but it is true. The easiest way to take down an entrenched sniper is to simply have another sniper or gs pop diversion on him. A sniper/gs out of cover is usually dead within seconds. They can't roll, they lose ballistic dampeners, ranged def, interrupt and leap immunity.

Sure, but if you don't have a sniper on your own team you can't do that stuff, meaning that it doesn't detract from the desirability of having a sniper on your team. Just means that playing one is rough :)