Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

The only thing I've really noticed on my Commando is this: When I cast a long ability that lasts over the GCD, the game allows me to cast another ability negating the last few shots of my initial ability. I think the game should make you finish the ability and animation before allowing you to commit another ability. That's really all I've noticed and now that I'm hip to it, I know what not to do.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never noticed any of the issues being discussed in this thread. And I've been playing the hell out of the game since mid October.

Yes, I played wow for 6 years or so. 10+ years in DAOC and my MMO days began with UO in 1998. So I "get" what the OP is saying.

Edited by BradFett

Interesting, I have not seen this though. I play an operative and have not seen this. I have a problem with animations that are too short, so I stand there waiting for the GCD to end, but not animations that are too long. Does this affect some classes only?

yes the trolls :p

apparently you are wrong or brain damaged like the rest of the pps :p

you are not l337

yes the trolls :p

apparently you are wrong or brain damaged like the rest of the pps :p

you are not l337

LOL I don't think that people who have this problems are trolls, they really have some sort of lag, we just don't know what it's causing, though you are right: if you don't have the problem you ain't cool, goddam BW fanboi!

My main problem with the combat in SWTOR is the GCD that I find to be way too long. Sometimes the skill animations are long enough to match the cooldown, but as a Sith Warrior, I have a number of abilities with short animations (Savage Kick for example) which often results in my character standing there idle while I wait for the GCD to finish. It just looks ackward and it makes the combat look less responsive than it really is. Personally I don't even understand the purpose of the GCD at all. If all the abilities had their own cast time/activation time to match the animation, there would be no need for the GCD and the combat would look much more fluid. Edited by Shendaar

Interesting, I have not seen this though. I play an operative and have not seen this. I have a problem with animations that are too short, so I stand there waiting for the GCD to end, but not animations that are too long. Does this affect some classes only?

it only affects some abilities it's not nearly as game breaker as some people would like it to be but it does make you feel like you're helpless in some situation... lightsaber tanking is actually a chore when there is too many enemies simply because you end up having a 3 second global cooldown...

My main problem with the combat in SWTOR is the GCD that I find to be way too long. Sometimes the skill animations are long enough to match the cooldown, but as a Sith Warrior, I have a number of abilities with short animations (Savege Kick for example) which often results in my character standing there idle while I wait for the GCD to finish. It just looks ackward and it makes the combat look less responsive than it really is. Personally I don't even understand the purpose of the GCD at all. If all the abilities had their own cast time/activation time to match the animation, there would be no need for the GCD.

yeah i agree to the point of why there must be a GCD at first place...seems to me like "cheap" balancing IMO ofc

They are either investigating it or working on it.

But with half of the community saying they DONT have the problem and half saying they DO, they probably just have a wait and see approach to it.

Either way, it's whatever to me. I dont really care anymore, but what I do care about are the whiners and doomsayers on this forum who pop up after extended gameplay time, post on the forum saying that TOR will die, then get back on the game later, or they just leave.

But with half of the community saying they DONT have the problem and half saying they DO, they probably just have a wait and see approach to it.

Either way, it's whatever to me. I dont really care anymore, but what I do care about are the whiners and doomsayers on this forum who pop up after extended gameplay time, post on the forum saying that TOR will die, then get back on the game later, or they just leave.

Everyone has the problem but some choose to adapt to it until the real bummer where they won't be able to progress become real for them as well and join the bandwagon.

If Bioware spent as much time fixing issues like the OP suggested as they do removing topics and posts on these forums we might get a better playing experience.

They are here reading these forums, trust me, i was in the forums all day yesterday at work trying to respond to posts that kept getting deleted.

I have been frustrated with the responsiveness also. Another thing I have noticed on my toon (bounty hunter - merc) is that sometimes I'll spam a spell as the last gcd is ending, and it appears that I get two gcds; the first one is about a 1/4 of a second gcd and then the normal gcd occurs. I've even noticed the shading on the quickbar flashes when this happens.

gcd ends

i spam an ability

gcd starts

gcd ends 1/4 of a second later

gcd starts again

gcd completes as normal

this will be fixed in about 2-3 months, when all those whiners/doomsayers etc etc will understand that this game IS NOT A X X X 2 (where x x x = wow,rift,daoc,warhammer online or whatever you please) and leave leaving behind those that REALLY like THIS game, REALLY believe THIS game and finally PAYING THIS game.

If Bioware spent as much time fixing issues like the OP suggested as they do removing topics and posts on these forums we might get a better playing experience.

They are here reading these forums, trust me, i was in the forums all day yesterday at work trying to respond to posts that kept getting deleted.

there is a difference betwen reading it constructively and simply removing the spam ...

do they have to reply to everything that haters/lovers write?

in this thread there is only love,drama and hate

This is not i hate my armor thread.This something about gameplay and many people have (or think they have) a serius promblem.

A simple asnwer don't cost much.But maybe you know better.Who cares about customers anyway ?

this will be fixed in about 2-3 months, when all those whiners/doomsayers etc etc will understand that this game IS NOT A X X X 2 (where x x x = wow,rift,daoc,warhammer online or whatever you please) and leave leaving behind those that REALLY like THIS game, REALLY believe THIS game and finally PAYING THIS game.

Thing is once a lot of people start doing operation and some spell require interrupt you will need to dedicate one person to simply watch the mob cast time because if they are using any kind of ability they won't be able to respond quickly enough ...

it's not game breaking for leveling because most of the time people do yellow/green questing , but if you try orange quest you will see that the ability delay is a real killer even in pve.

A lot of people saying they never experienced this problem, don't know why your whining etc etc.

The problem IS THERE it's just that some people do not see it as a problem perhaps because of their particular playstyle etc, it just is not noticeable to them, but let me assure you it does exist and for those who do find it a problem like myself it is utterly gamebreaking in places, I have a GCD which has finished I press my next ability and nothing happens, now because of the way I play with hotkeys etc focusing around myself and not on my action bars sometimes I do not immediately notice that ability has not castand so I move onto the next part of my "Rotation" before eventually realising normally too late that I am out of sync and in the poo.

If you are a "Clicker" you probably will not notice this issue, if you have not expereinced anything smoother you may not notice there even is an issue and wonder *** people are going on about.

If your like me and you notice it and understand it then you will know how frustrating it is. But peeps please stop dissing others because you do not feel/understand this flaw, we are not trying to force opinions on you merely pointing out that for certain playstyles and situation the ability system in it's current format is broken to an extent.

Good post.

I have been following this thread closely for the past day or two and it is very very apparent that quite alarge proportion of the people that are really noticing this issue, are people who played arenas in WOW and people who were pretty good at it. I guess I also fall into this category having raided in a top guild (top 20 world) and done high level pvp with multiple characters at 2300 rating or so in all categories.

Anyway, for me, as I said around 150 pages ago, this is the real breaker issue for all MMOs. In order to compete with Blizzard, any MMO will have to match the combat smoothness and UI responsiveness of WOW, or even better it - if that's even possible. As of yet, no one has managed it, but I am stunned that it has taken so many people so long to realise this fundamental problem. Its as if SWTOR and its deficiencies has allowed so many people to finally see why WOW is so great and such a powerhouse, despite its many obvious flaws.

Its all about the feel of the game and your engagement with your character and what your character does. If there is any sort of disconnect at all, it spreads to all aspects of the game and it seriously diminishes the fun - its like the creeping death. The hype of the launch and all the new stuff blinds you to it for a little while, but then you realise its just not as good and the flaws are too annoying to put up with. PVP is seriously affected, and any difficult PVE is seriously affected - only easy levelling questing can hide the rot. Some people notice it and can articulate this 'feeling' as many are doing here, but the silent majority will just realise something is missing and cancel their subs without a word. And as happened with all the other MMOs that didn't get this right (Aion, war, conan and rift) the proof will ultimately be in the pudding and they will come absolutely nowhere near wow's sub figures.

What's interesting is that the space battle game in SWTOR is amazingly responsive. Its wonderful in this respect and basically perfect in 'feel' but of course its a one player game so this is understandable. I'm optimistic that they can fix this problem, and I really feel that if they don't do it, the game won't recover from the huge amount of cancellations that happen at the end of the free month. It will limp on as they all do, but it will be black marked in the minds of hundreds of thousands of gamers and the vast majority won't try the game ever again.

Bioware are on a timer on this one. If they fix this fundamental disconnect before the free time runs out, they can make this game a true rival to WOW and make obscene amounts of money. If they miss that deadline, the game will fall by the wayside, and people will turn their eyes to GW2, and even Mists of Pandaria.

I want them to fix it sooo much. I love everything about this game apart from this one issue, but this issue is central to long term enjoyment and therefore central to my potential subscription. Bioware, please get this right ...

This is a great topic, and it's being described and discussed much better than it has in the past, in other games, etc.

Blizzard is the only one to this day that "got it right" and honestly, for as repetitive as WoW combat is, it's still fun every time because the "gameplay" itself is so responsive.

As the OP said, BioWare has come closer with TOR than any other MMO even attempted to, but there is still a slightly disconnected feeling from the combat and it's largely due to what is explained in the OP.

Further, and it may have been discussed here, and may be related... but creatures die statistically before they die visually. This actually happens in reverse when attacking as well.

Anyway, this is a topic that deserves discussion as it's about one of the most critical game systems - combat. Players do it all day every day so it has to feel right.

I am glad to see this thread remain so long without being restarted. It shows BioWare is definitely listening to this topic! And in my experience, they are always interested getting constructive input from the player base.

To OP ( please read and respond)

To be fair i didnt read 100% of your post, but that is because as soon as i saw title of this thread i agreed 100% and thought "finally some1 else noticed". I play a shadow and even though i love the class there are times i feel a disconnect between what im telling my avatar to do and what he ( animation) is actually doing. It just feels like the moves/animations do not flow together "smoothly" enough. Please note i do not spam buttons. At first i thought maybe if i had high alacrity or whatever this might reduce, but dont think thats the case now. So in short i support you on this point 100%.

EDIT: although i dont play WoW i have been raiding HC in top server guilds in EQ2 for past 5years now. I learnt a LONG time ago not to spam abilities and so small gameplay issues ( or nuances for a better term ) like this are extremely noticeable to me.

Edited by Senzuki