Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I'm a Jedi Sage healer yet I experience no such problems. I love PvPing and I do not have as much as a hard time as you claim that you do.

Maybe you should A)Stop spamming excessively B)Wait until your previous animation is finished before continuing or C)Stop trying to cycle through your moves mid-swing.

Can you please stop this? If you do not experience the problem that's being discussed here, fine. But don't try to convince people who experience it that they're making it up when they're not.

Maybe your playstyle prohibits you from experiencing it? This could be the case if you click your abilities very slowly, with two to three seconds between your actions.

The problem that many people in this thread are experiencing is that the global cooldown displayed on the ability buttons shows as expired, thus signalling that the avatar is ready to execute the next action, when it in fact is not. This doesn't seem to be the case for all abilities on all classes, but for enough of them to make a difference.

If you don't have this problem, and you like the game so much, why don't you go and play it instead of patronizing the people who try to have a serious discussion.

Funny, I'm a Jedi Sage healer yet I experience no such problems. I love PvPing and I do not have as much as a hard time as you claim that you do.

Maybe you should A)Stop spamming excessively B)Wait until your previous animation is finished before continuing or C)Stop trying to cycle through your moves mid-swing.

The point is:

If there is a GCD the next ability should be available to cast when GCD reaches 0.0 not after 50 minutes after everyone has finished their animations.

If you have an ability that has cast time of 3 seconds and GCD for 1.3 seconds, you should be able to:

1. interrupt the cast at any time you want.

2. Cast next ability after your GCD reaches 0.0 seconds.

Preffered scenario:

1.You start casting a heal (3s).

2. You notice enemy is entering nuclear access codes (2s).

3. You interrupt your cast.

4. Wait your GCD (1.3s).

5. Interrupt the nuke launch.

Existing scenario:

4. Wait your GCD (1.3s).

5. Wait till your character finishes waving hands (whatever the animation time is).

6. You fail to do anything you intended to do...

Edited by Brutualus

I'm not having a problem with this at all. I was a WoW player for 7 years and I see absolutely no problem with how responsive my char is. None at all.

Now, there have been games ... like LOTRO ... which has this problem but I just don't have it here. I don't know what the OP's problem is ... well considering the cheap shots taken at the game scattered throughout his posts I would guess a Hater Troll ... but its just not a problem for me.

Good luck on your next game.

The point is:

If there is a GCD the next ability should be available to cast when GCD reaches 0.0 not after 50 minutes after everyone has finished their animations.

If you have an ability that has cast time of 3 seconds and GCD for 1.3 seconds, you should be able to:

1. interrupt the cast at any time you want.

2. Cast next ability after your GCD reaches 0.0 seconds.

Preffered scenario:

4. Wait your GCD (1.3s).

5. Interrupt the nuke launch.

Existing scenario:

4. Wait your GCD (1.3s).

5. Wait till your character finishes waving hands (1.7s).

It's not worth it, friend.

I don't know your healing experience mate but this system is why I chose not to role healer because I can foresee one major issue which may not be apparent to you YET...

I have healed everything in wow from the first raggy to our recent madness kill and A big part of my skill suite is pre-casting, you know the tank is about to take massive incoming damage so you neuter it by starting your long cast large heal early to co-ordinate with the damage landing on tank, this type of PRO-ACTIVE not REACTIVE gaming is what makes some encounters possible in the first kill stages. I cannot do that in TOR because if I start to precast the large heal I know I am absolutely tied in to that animationa and unable to REACT to anything else for the duration of that cast, maybe TOR's fight mechanics mean that pre-casting is not required I do not know enough about the endgame content to comment but I do not imagin that it is going to be so predictable that you do not need to think one,two or even three steps ahead at least I hope not...

We shall see.

I'm not having a problem with this at all. I was a WoW player for 7 years and I see absolutely no problem with how responsive my char is. None at all.

Now, there have been games ... like LOTRO ... which has this problem but I just don't have it here. I don't know what the OP's problem is ... well considering the cheap shots taken at the game scattered throughout his posts I would guess a Hater Troll ... but its just not a problem for me.

Then you don't know what is going on and are clearly blind. :D

I don't know your healing experience mate but this system is why I chose not to role healer because I can foresee one major issue which may not be apparent to you YET...

I have healed everything in wow from the first raggy to our recent madness kill and A big part of my skill suite is pre-casting, you know the tank is about to take massive incoming damage so you neuter it by starting your long cast large heal early to co-ordinate with the damage landing on tank, this type of PRO-ACTIVE not REACTIVE gaming is what makes some encounters possible in the first kill stages. I cannot do that in TOR because if I start to precast the large heal I know I am absolutely tied in to that animationa and unable to REACT to anything else for the duration of that cast, maybe TOR's fight mechanics mean that pre-casting is not required I do not know enough about the endgame content to comment but I do not imagin that it is going to be so predictable that you do not need to think one,two or even three steps ahead at least I hope not...

We shall see.

The response is just going to be "This isn't WoW, not trying to be WoW, don't make it WoW, adapt to the different animation > cast time/game mechanics system Bioware is giving us, working as intended."

/looks at watch

It's a terrible, terrible, terrible issue.

When you're doing a standard PvE rotation you get caught up in arm waving and gun pointing and it's dumb.

Last night I tried to cast Unload 7 times before the animation actually went off.

It's stupid.

I do note my BH has it worst of my characters.

i think the OP is anything but a "hater troll," he's been level headed in all of his responses and very constructive, bringing forth actual evidence to the issue and encouraging discussion for a game he clearly cares about and wants to succeed. Rather than namecalling responses like yours that are just L2P LOLHATERTROLL NO ISSUES HERE

just sayin

I tried pulling with lightsaber throw and then charge with my jugger. Hilarious as you stand around and do nothing while waiting for the animation to finish long after gcd is done.

Yea this needs fixing... It's not game breaking (yet) but i feel this will become extremely frustrating as the game becomes more complex.

Here's my video I took today, and it shows how my fights usually go. Ofc usually there are 3-4 mobs :D, but now I took just one strong so it would be longer and more easy to watch. I don't have any problems, usually fps is 35+, ms 50-100, though wz's are an exception, there my fps drops below 30. But I can deal with that.
Dunno then, maybe there's a problem and maybe there isn't...

The response is just going to be "This isn't WoW, not trying to be WoW, don't make it WoW, adapt to the different animation > cast time/game mechanics system Bioware is giving us, working as intended."

/looks at watch

Probably, and I make no apologies for the wow comparison it is after all the game this one needs to compete with to be succesful I don't like wow haven't for a long time I only play it because at the moment there is nothing better I want this to be the game that is better but if it pans out the way I think it might then sadly I will have to continue with wow.

Adapting to the animations spells etc is all well and good if the fight mechanics allow you to do so, however if the fight mechanics require you to pre-cast/think ahead (Like WoW) then this system is sadly lacking and will make endgame content perhaps bordering on impossible.

As i said time will tell could be much ado about nothing.

Yeah that's what I thought, it's the smoothest combat I seen in ages, WoW is a lot more clunky especially with the animations spazzing out while the system tries to process your keypresses not to mention combat lag...

but apparently you aren't allowed to say anything on the theme unless you are a "133t PVP uberfraggenmeister". Actually, saying anything on the them that doesn't flame the game or BW will automatically mark you as a troll, a n00b or some sort of disabled player. All things that detract from the validity of the points but anyway....

Yeah that's what I thought, it's the smoothest combat I seen in ages, WoW is a lot more clunky especially with the animations spazzing out while the system tries to process your keypresses not to mention combat lag...

but apparently you aren't allowed to say anything on the theme unless you are a "133t PVP uberfraggenmeister". Actually, saying anything on the them that doesn't flame the game or BW will automatically mark you as a troll, a n00b or some sort of disabled player. All things that detract from the validity of the points but anyway....

Certainly a valid statement, which just circles back to why do some people have it, others don't?

Still worth exploring and dev input.

Existing scenario:

4. Wait your GCD (1.3s).

5. Wait till your character finishes waving hands (whatever the animation time is).

This has, honestly, not happened a single time for me. Although the prior casts animation was still running, the interrupt always took place instant. Same applies to other instant casts, their damage was shown both in the fly-text, as well as effective on a health bar the moment it should, even when the prior animation was still playing.

There're only problems when casting a vehicle, where I'll dismount if I'd start moving to soon (before I'm visibly mounted on the vehicle).

As I only PvP'd in the beta and don't really remember those details from then, the above applies to my (and my wifes and guild mates) current PvE.

This seems to be an issue which affects a good amount of people, but seemingly not everyone.

Certainly a valid statement, which just circles back to why do some people have it, others don't?

Still worth exploring and dev input.

Of course! IF there is an issue, that could be caused by server lag (as it seems to manifest itself in busy areas like warzones), devs should identify and try rectify the issue. that's why it's important to "bug it" or post it in Tech Support or Suggestions. But the whole idea that if something happens to a part of the player base but doesn't to the rest, it's probably because the rest is a bunch of retarded ***-kissing fanbois is ludicrous

Also, devs never read General. really. in no games. I think in WoW they did in the beginning and posted but stopped in the recent years because wasn't worth the hassle

Here's my video I took today, and it shows how my fights usually go. Ofc usually there are 3-4 mobs :D, but now I took just one strong so it would be longer and more easy to watch. I don't have any problems, usually fps is 35+, ms 50-100, though wz's are an exception, there my fps drops below 30. But I can deal with that.
Dunno then, maybe there's a problem and maybe there isn't...

That's how combat is on my scoundrel and my JK. SOMETIMES. when the server has one of those lag hiccups (the mobile style indicator goes red), I notice skills not firing up but normally, no. I am pretty sure this is something similar to what happens in EvE with Jita

This is interesting to me, but not game breaking.

I've played wow extensively and other mmo's as well.

Swotor feels somewhere between EQ2 (very clunky)

and wow (responsive)

I found however in swotor that in combat I am more focused on the pace of a fight and what ability I will be using next instead of trying to make split second reaction based attacks.

The ability delay is there, I notice it..but everyone else has it too, so in pvp the hyper speed frantic reaction feel of wow is replaced with something more....cinematic?

I think I'll be in the minority here, but I kind of prefer this, I'm an old fart now, my eyes aren't as quick and it's kind of nice that I get that extra little bit of time to react.

Maybe it's a design choice for the majority of gamers are, lets face it 8 years older than they were when they dug into wow.

I'm not hating on wow, or what the OP is concerned about...I just don't feel for me personally that it's a deal breaker.

An example is on my sorc making khem val tanks golds, grab aggro of multiples, keep him healed, keep my party healed, switch to him again, switch to a lose mob, etc

In that kind of situation the combat feels right, I can micro manage my companion, taunt mobs, heal me and my party and play two roles, tank and healer without ripping my hair out.

In wow though, running on my warlock and doing the same in a hairy pull with a voidwalker emergency last ditch wipe prevention attempt..well it came down too fast sometimes and usually it was because of the speed of that game.

Hard to explain I guess, maybe someone might know what I mean but I feel the reaction cushion in combat was intentional to allow you time to micromanage your companion.