64 bit client

-Gorlock-

Logically speaking I suspect they need to ensure mass compatibility with pc hardware and software. Not everyone has a 64 bit OS.

Which is why you compile the software to target a 64bit processor.

Most software can almost be identical and be compiled to target different CPU architecture so that both 32bit and 64bit hardware users can get the most out of the hardware they are using.

Everyone else also needs to remember that this game engine is not something Bioware created, it might be heavily modified but demanding Bioware to just **** out a 64bit client is not something they can do without the help or pressure put onto HeroEngine, which by the looks of it is a dying or almost dead company from the lack of forum usage on HeroEngine's website and lack of support and positive attitude towards HeroEngine in general.

Which is why you compile the software to target a 64bit processor.

Most software can almost be identical and be compiled to target different CPU architecture so that both 32bit and 64bit hardware users can get the most out of the hardware they are using.

Everyone else also needs to remember that this game engine is not something Bioware created, it might be heavily modified but demanding Bioware to just **** out a 64bit client is not something they can do without the help or pressure put onto HeroEngine, which by the looks of it is a dying or almost dead company from the lack of forum usage on HeroEngine's website and lack of support and positive attitude towards HeroEngine in general.

This falls in line with the engine upgrade for swtor 2.0 rumor that was leaked late last year.

Yeah, I will never understand why they don't upgrade it, its a bit pathetic to be using a 32 bit client in 2015.

Why? I still run 32-bit MS Office 2013, as do most people who run Office...

Windows may be 64-bit, but the majority of programs are still 32-bit...

It is getting there, slowly, but not quite yet...

Logically speaking I suspect they need to ensure mass compatibility with pc hardware and software. Not everyone has a 64 bit OS.

^ Yep... As long as this game keeps running on Windows XP, a 64-bit client is out of the question....

And Bioware doesn't have the subs to justify having 2 clients.... IMHO...

TBH that is a little ridiculous, if you are really into gaming on the computer, you should at least make the most basics of upgrades to evolve with the times. To hold back the game because a few folk from the past don't have a 64bit OS is a little outrageous.

Well, a 64bit OS can run anything 32bit, the reason programs like MS Office are 32 bit, and a lot of programs as you stated, is because there is little need to go beyond what 32bit requires. They dont need to be using more than 2gigs of ram, or so much processing power, it is a little lazy but the programs run very fast regardless if it is 32bit or 64bit.

BUT a GAME should be 64bit in this day and age, ESPECIALLY and MMO. It is a little ridiculous that an mmo in 2015 is still running only a 32bit client. Using ONLY 2gigs of RAM in an MMO? I am sorry but that is just pathetic. I dont think people understand how much better this game would run if it went 64bit. 64bit can practically use an infinite amount of RAM, and a HUGE amount of processing power. People with high end PC's for the game does not really matter, because the game is bottlenecking your own damn PC intentionally. 16man ops could actually be a thing, where you dont get 15fps while fighting a boss.

TBH that is a little ridiculous, if you are really into gaming on the computer, you should at least make the most basics of upgrades to evolve with the times. To hold back the game because a few folk from the past don't have a 64bit OS is a little outrageous.

BUT a GAME should be 64bit in this day and age, ESPECIALLY and MMO. It is a little ridiculous that an mmo in 2015 is still running only a 32bit client. Using ONLY 2gigs of RAM in an MMO? I am sorry but that is just pathetic. I dont think people understand how much better this game would run if it went 64bit. 64bit can practically use an infinite amount of RAM, and a HUGE amount of processing power. People with high end PC's for the game does not really matter, because the game is bottlenecking your own damn PC intentionally. 16man ops could actually be a thing, where you dont get 15fps while fighting a boss.

While I would love to see a 64bit version, I am going to disagree with you in principle. The day of the "hard core" gamer is dead and gone. While the hard core gamer still exists, the era of the casual gamer is upon us. And the casual gamer is not the same. They do not invest in "gaming systems". So companies are forced to produce their game for the lowest common denominator.

Any company that does not, is not going to be successful.

So you can either accept this fact and live with it. Or you can move.

Edited by Nireos

Nireos, your argument is certainly valid, yet it is but another reason to move to a 64-bit client. Even low-end machines today are 64-bit, and all would benefit dramatically from a like client.

Are you under the impression that the game would somehow be noticeably faster if it was a 64-bit client?

I suspect you'd be disappointed... While there are 64-bit instructions and registers that allow some programs to run faster, they don't make as much of a difference for general purpose computing as you'd think... The move to 64-bit was really all about the 4GB memory limit.

SWTOR runs 2 processes, partly to get around the 2GB memory limit Windows XP puts on programs, partly to use the second core, and probably for other technical reasons I don't know about (since I didn't write it). Moving it to a 64-bit client may not change anything at all unless you do a rewrite of the thing to take specific advantage of those new features and memory.

Just clicking the "64-bit box" when you compile the program may actually make the program run worse, not better.

^ Yep... As long as this game keeps running on Windows XP, a 64-bit client is out of the question....

And Bioware doesn't have the subs to justify having 2 clients.... IMHO...

Heck, most mmos don't bother with 2 clients.

TBH that is a little ridiculous, if you are really into gaming on the computer, you should at least make the most basics of upgrades to evolve with the times.

Sure. If you're "really into gaming". Thing is, lots of people play MMOs that wouldn't really fit into your "really into gaming" category.

Now you can tell all those people to stop playing MMOs if you want, but I don't think they're going to listen.

Not to mention that most PC games and especially PC MMOs are not 64 bit but 32 bit. Until Microsoft kills the option to install as a 32 bit OS, then you can expect that software will be largely 32 bit just to make it easier to be widely compatible with the most systems.

BUT a GAME should be 64bit in this day and age, ESPECIALLY and MMO.

And here is where your total ignorance of the MMO sub base shines. If you look at sys specs for MMOs compared to top end Single Player titles, you will note they trend much more heavily low end. While there are hard core gamers that play MMOs, there are many many more that are not hard core at all, which greatly devalues having a 64 bit client, and the additional costs and support it would entail. I'd love a 64 bit client, but I recognize that it really won't change performance that much, and its more work then its worth to provide it.

Nireos, your argument is certainly valid, yet it is but another reason to move to a 64-bit client. Even low-end machines today are 64-bit, and all would benefit dramatically from a like client.

You understand there are people out there with systems that are probably 10 years old? I know because I provide PC support for a living. So no, not everyone has a 64 bit processor and can run a 64 bit OS.

Least common denominator.

Yeah, most of today's computers fall within 500-1000$ range. Gone are the days when the cheapest computer used to cost ~1,2k$. Especially are gone the days when computers used to cover whole walls. Eh......

Still, 64bit client is a must. Dx this or that is optional, but by not having a 64bit client you just shoot yourself in a foot.

You guys are all a bunch of geniuses. I mean, who are these devs? They certainly don't know as much as the forum brain trust.

While I would love to see a 64bit version, I am going to disagree with you in principle. The day of the "hard core" gamer is dead and gone. While the hard core gamer still exists, the era of the casual gamer is upon us. And the casual gamer is not the same. They do not invest in "gaming systems". So companies are forced to produce their game for the lowest common denominator.

Any company that does not, is not going to be successful.

So you can either accept this fact and live with it. Or you can move.

Lol, I am sorry but getting a 64 bit OS is not "Hard Core"

For less than 100 bucks your can get windows 7 premium 64bit.

Also, I am not saying they they should only make swtor in 64bit. A 64bit client would be ideal as most people have 64bit OS, and pretty much every computer store sells computers with 64bit OS.

Are you under the impression that the game would somehow be noticeably faster if it was a 64-bit client?

I suspect you'd be disappointed... While there are 64-bit instructions and registers that allow some programs to run faster, they don't make as much of a difference for general purpose computing as you'd think... The move to 64-bit was really all about the 4GB memory limit.

SWTOR runs 2 processes, partly to get around the 2GB memory limit Windows XP puts on programs, partly to use the second core, and probably for other technical reasons I don't know about (since I didn't write it). Moving it to a 64-bit client may not change anything at all unless you do a rewrite of the thing to take specific advantage of those new features and memory.

Just clicking the "64-bit box" when you compile the program may actually make the program run worse, not better.

I dont know where you heard that 64bit wont make things run better for general computing, but they REALLY do make a difference. Just converting something to 64-bit of course wont make anything different except how fast the client boots the game. They would have to work on changing things in the game itself to utilize the ability to use more ram than just 2gigs. I am not saying there is going to be a perfect 60fps game when the game creates a 64bit client, it will see a good fps increase, stability, and the biggest of all, loading times.

You understand there are people out there with systems that are probably 10 years old? I know because I provide PC support for a living. So no, not everyone has a 64 bit processor and can run a 64 bit OS.

Jesus Christ, then they can use the 32bit version, nobody is forcing you all to get 64bit processors/OS. The people who do have 64bit OS would like to see a 64bit version of the game.

Edited by -Gorlock-
Adding more

I agree with that principle Nireos for I also provide pc support to people and see what kind of computers they have :eek: Some make me question if there are cobwebs when I open up the side panel. lol

And I do agree with you on the "age of the casual gamer". It's no longer "mmos are only for hardcore". It's all around folk now. That's why you see a TON of mmorpgs

But you also have to see that 64 bit would be nice to have for gaming.

Edited by Sarfux

Lol, I am sorry but getting a 64 bit OS is not "Hard Core"

For less than 100 bucks your can get windows 7 premium 64bit.

Also, I am not saying they they should only make swtor in 64bit. A 64bit client would be ideal as most people have 64bit OS, and pretty much every computer store sells computers with 64bit OS.

I dont know where you heard that 64bit wont make things run better for general computing, but they REALLY do make a difference. Just converting something to 64-bit of course wont make anything different except how fast the client boots the game. They would have to work on changing things in the game itself to utilize the ability to use more ram than just 2gigs. I am not saying there is going to be a perfect 60fps game when the game creates a 64bit client, it will see a good fps increase, stability, and the biggest of all, loading times.

Jesus Christ, then they can use the 32bit version, nobody is forcing you all to get 64bit processors/OS. The people who do have 64bit OS would like to see a 64bit version of the game.

I also agree with your some of your points here, but you have to see if the company thinks its WORTH it for them to write a 64 bit architecture client. It perhaps may not be worth the extra money to develop one. Would the game scream on it? Of course! Especially if you had to right hardware!

But the matter of fact is, most people have 32 bit and don't do their "research" to see 64 bit is the way to go. Like the other poster said, we are ALMOST there converting everything to 64 bit. 64 bit is the future! But we aren't "there" YET.

It would be nice to have. Just not at that era yet. But soon :)

WoW is probably older than most people's PCs, was designed to run on toasters, and is far older than SWTOR, and even it has offered a 64bit client using DX11 for years now.

And 64 bit isn't the future, unless you mean mobile device processors. Intel consumer PC chips have been 64 bit for going on 10 years now, with the last several iterations of Windows and other major OS going back to the mid 2000s all having 64 bit support.

Edited by DawnAskham