Any plans to take advntage of DX12???

Liquor

Did a test of DirectX 11 vs. DirectX 12 on an unreleased GPU with an 8core CPU. DX11: 13fps, DX12: 120fps. Lighting and lens effects.

The software matters: DirectX 9 vs. DirectX 12 on same hardware

Hardware is only part of the picture and in fact, these days, a relatively small part of the picture. The biggest monster machine I have available to me (Core I7 5960X with a Radeon R9 290X) is still going to top out at around 8000 batches on DirectX 9 for the typical developer. On Mantle or DirectX 12, however, that same hardware can do >100,000 batches.

Bottom line: DirectX 11 stuffs all the commands to the GPU through a single pipeline. DirectX 12 makes it parallel. In theory, you could see an Ntimes boost (N = number of cores).

Source #1

Source #2

So would you recompile SWTOR to take advantage of the performance increase DX12 offers? I don't have a problem running the game on any of my rigs. Hell, my FX-60 space heater ran it on low settings @ mid 30FPS with that crusty Nvidia 9800+ GTX. But I would love to see this game perform great on an ITX build with only an AMD APU and no GPU. making for desktop performance in a tiny package (Think Antec ISK110)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7219/7102287563_3c87c8d1fc.jpg

As a bonus it would extend the life of SWTOR and gain more players since expensive builds wouldn't be required.

The thing that is slowing down the game is not the 3D engine, it is the UI and the game engine in general. Considering how difficult it is for them to improve the engine performance, just "recompiling the game for DirectX 12" would break more things than it would improve, which would once again require a lot of QA testing on various machines to ensure the game is still running fine.

Think of all the complaints and calls to Customer Service they'd get when people suddenly have to install a newer DirectX version even though SWTOR has been running fine for years.

Also, keep in mind that a sizable number of players still have Windows XP and Windows Vista. Does DirectX 12 even run on XP? And no, they won't release a separate client for 64-bit and DirectX 12 for the handful of players who could make use of it, it just doesn't give them any return on investment.

Multiple punctuation marks do not emphasize your point, whether they are exclamation points, question marks, or what have you. One is sufficient.

Unless you're using an ellipse. Ellipses have three periods. Not less, and certainly not more.

An ellipse is a curve on a plane surrounding two focal points such that the sum of the distances to the two focal points is constant for every point on the curve.

An ellipsis is a form of punctuation denoted by three dots.

Ellipses being the plural form of both ellipse and ellipsis, would indicate more than one ellipse or ellipsis. When talking about ellipses as the plural form of ellipsis, there should be a number of dots equal to three times the number of ellipses.

:p

Edited by Orizuru

So would you recompile SWTOR to take advantage of the performance increase DX12 offers?

Erm. I doubt they want to tinker with the game engine at this stage at all, especially after the GUI change alone caused chaos in 3.0.

Imagine how much they would break in the process of trying to alter something else in this game engine, they're struggling with it as it is.

Not just that, but is Bioware willing to alienate so many of those players out there who might not currently own a GPU that supports the DX 12 API?.

This is the most important part:

In order for SWTOR to use Direct3D 12, it would require users to have video cards using nVidia Fermi-or-better, AMD GCN cards, or Haswell-or-better Intel chipsets. They'd also need to be using Windows 10.

That's a pretty small segment of the economy. Considering that many of the restrictions we see now are due to the fact that MMOs try to cater to as wide of an audience as feasible, making the switch to DX12 seems to be a pretty horrible decision.

More and more of these threads are becoming like questions in academia, I.E. we'll do tons of research and find great uses for new hardware, software, etc that can make something way better, but in reality it won't ever be put into practice.

This isn't going to happen. It'd be nice, but I have a feeling EA and folks have another MMO they want to put resources toward. This ain't it.

More and more of these threads are becoming like questions in academia, I.E. we'll do tons of research and find great uses for new hardware, software, etc that can make something way better, but in reality it won't ever be put into practice.

This isn't going to happen. It'd be nice, but I have a feeling EA and folks have another MMO they want to put resources toward. This ain't it.

They just cancelled their only other known MMO.

Unless this is a "crap on Mass Effect even more" MMO you're thinking of.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.