PvP survivability help.

HyperSonicOne

If you are level 18 as per your signature, you have less abilities and expertise than the higher-level players. Make sure to add relics, headgear, earpiece and implants as soon as your level allows to get the full 2018. If you are not the top dog when you hit 27+ in the lowbie bracket, then it's time to take a look at what you are doing.

If you are level 18 as per your signature, you have less abilities and expertise than the higher-level players. Make sure to add relics, headgear, earpiece and implants as soon as your level allows to get the full 2018. If you are not the top dog when you hit 27+ in the lowbie bracket, then it's time to take a look at what you are doing.
actually, I have not got around to updating my Sig. I am currently level 24

Your most likely problem is that shadow doesn't have access to all its key abilities/passives yet.

As for specs

Kinetic - tanky, mostly for protecting healers and other people

playstyle - stick close to healers, tank everything. if solo guarding, just stay long enough till other teammates can help you out

pros - hard to kill like most tanks

cons - a bit "spiky" because it relies more on dodge/parries than outright damage reduction

Infiltration - not sure if it's great at low levels, but end game it's supposed to be the bursty spec (kinda needs buffs)

playstyle - mostly picking low-health targets in the middle of battle, or taking out lone defenders before the other team can respond

pros - epic animation skills, decent burst if enemy is caught offguard

cons - burst easily disrupted and/or negated by healers right now

Serenity - Area DoT, Single target DoT, great survivability... good in some areas an excellent in others.... kind of the go-to spec for PvP right now

playstyle - apply periodic damage, spread them using force in balance, and then focus on a single target to force their healer to choose between saving his/her teammates or his/her own arse.

pros - versatile, good for teamfights and 1v1

cons - damage takes a bit of time to ramp up

Edited by GARhenus

You'll see the benifit of keymapping all your skills to your keyboard and just using them (no clicking on skills) this way you've got everything you need at your fingertips and no delay inbetween skills + maximises your mobility.

Utilities are pretty big in terms of survivability, different utilities work for different people, look really closely at each and experiment until you find the right combo for you.

If you are leveling, then gear plays a big part in that. Do the daily FP's/tacticals for basic comms and this way you will be able to keep yourself kitted out with full blue mods every 5 levels.

I know this isn't class specific but if you have a specific question about the Assassin/shadow, feel free to PM me. :)

Edited by Usif

You'll see the benifit of keymapping all your skills to your keyboard and just using them (no clicking on skills) this way you've got everything you need at your fingertips and no delay inbetween skills + maximises your mobility.

Utilities are pretty big in terms of survivability, different utilities work for different people, look really closely at each and experiment until you find the right combo for you.

If you are leveling, then gear plays a big part in that. Do the daily FP's/tacticals for basic comms and this way you will be able to keep yourself kitted out with full blue mods every 5 levels.

I know this isn't class specific but if you have a specific question about the Assassin/shadow, feel free to PM me. :)

Yeh, I have my ui decked out in a wow-esque style, with two quickbars side by side at the bottom and utility quickbars on the right. All my important abilities are on the mapped quickbars, while extra stuff like throw the ball, blackout, etc is on the other bars.

Your most likely problem is that shadow doesn't have access to all its key abilities/passives yet.

As for specs

Kinetic - tanky, mostly for protecting healers and other people

playstyle - stick close to healers, tank everything. if solo guarding, just stay long enough till other teammates can help you out

pros - hard to kill like most tanks

cons - a bit "spiky" because it relies more on dodge/parries than outright damage reduction

Infiltration - not sure if it's great at low levels, but end game it's supposed to be the bursty spec (kinda needs buffs)

playstyle - mostly picking low-health targets in the middle of battle, or taking out lone defenders before the other team can respond

pros - epic animation skills, decent burst if enemy is caught offguard

cons - burst easily disrupted and/or negated by healers right now

Serenity - Area DoT, Single target DoT, great survivability... good in some areas an excellent in others.... kind of the go-to spec for PvP right now

playstyle - apply periodic damage, spread them using force in balance, and then focus on a single target to force their healer to choose between saving his/her teammates or his/her own arse.

pros - versatile, good for teamfights and 1v1

cons - damage takes a bit of time to ramp up

About infiltration, it is so not true. Infiltration is in a very good spot right now and if you think otherwise, you needa L2P. :)

About infiltration, it is so not true. Infiltration is in a very good spot right now and if you think otherwise, you needa L2P. :)

It's really, really not. Survivability, yes, it's fine. Actually doing the job of a burst spec? Hell no. There's almost nothing we do that concealment doesn't do better. The single only area that we're better off than concealment is in the survivabilitty while CC'd aspect. Simple because of the fact that we have the ability to phasewalk to negate focus. Other than that, concealment > deception.

It's really, really not. Survivability, yes, it's fine. Actually doing the job of a burst spec? Hell no. There's almost nothing we do that concealment doesn't do better. The single only area that we're better off than concealment is in the survivabilitty while CC'd aspect. Simple because of the fact that we have the ability to phasewalk to negate focus. Other than that, concealment > deception.

You seem to forget that Deception also has some of the best control in the game.

You seem to forget that Deception also has some of the best control in the game.

I honestly prefer crippling slice to low slash. Admittedly low slash is better for keeping a healer from casting, as it's a mezz, but at the same time it's a MEZZ, not a hard CC. Meaning that in this dot heavy meta most of the time you'll only end up getting 1 second or so out of the mezz, making it effectively more of an interrupt than anything else, an interrupt that builds resolve and can be parried without the use of defensive cooldowns.

Crippling slice on the other hand, is a four second root that prevents turning, has nearly the same cooldown as low slash, but has one rather massive advantage; it does not build resolve. Therefore you can keep that healer locked in place every single time it comes off cooldown with no diminishing returns whatsoever. And if the concealment wants to be a real nuisance he can spec into the 2s root in sever tendon as well as the root on hidden strike. If you combine all those things on, say, a sorc or merc with HO/sprint on cooldown, you can keep that healer locked in place for a grand total of 9 seconds, four seconds of which he will be unable to even turn. That amount of movement control on a spec with already a lot more burst than us and more on demand survivability (roll spam) is massive.

I honestly prefer crippling slice to low slash. Admittedly low slash is better for keeping a healer from casting, as it's a mezz, but at the same time it's a MEZZ, not a hard CC. Meaning that in this dot heavy meta most of the time you'll only end up getting 1 second or so out of the mezz, making it effectively more of an interrupt than anything else, an interrupt that builds resolve and can be parried without the use of defensive cooldowns.

Crippling slice on the other hand, is a four second root that prevents turning, has nearly the same cooldown as low slash, but has one rather massive advantage; it does not build resolve. Therefore you can keep that healer locked in place every single time it comes off cooldown with no diminishing returns whatsoever. And if the concealment wants to be a real nuisance he can spec into the 2s root in sever tendon as well as the root on hidden strike. If you combine all those things on, say, a sorc or merc with HO/sprint on cooldown, you can keep that healer locked in place for a grand total of 9 seconds, four seconds of which he will be unable to even turn. That amount of movement control on a spec with already a lot more burst than us and more on demand survivability (roll spam) is massive.

You make some good points and while I agree that Operatives is in a good spot right now, so is Deception. Anything more than a slight buff in damage would make Deception OP.

You make some good points and while I agree that Operatives is in a good spot right now, so is Deception. Anything more than a slight buff in damage would make Deception OP.

I disagree, we don't need a "massive" damage buff, but we need more than a slight one. My concealment op can pump out roughly twice as much burst as my deception while only taking an extra global or two to do it, and as previously stated, concealment does almost everything better than us currently. Buffing our burst to be more on par with concealment wouldn't make us broken in any way.

I disagree, we don't need a "massive" damage buff, but we need more than a slight one. My concealment op can pump out roughly twice as much burst as my deception while only taking an extra global or two to do it, and as previously stated, concealment does almost everything better than us currently. Buffing our burst to be more on par with concealment wouldn't make us broken in any way.

Say what you will, I do fine on my Deception sin, both in Ranked and in Regs.

Play against a healer who knows halfway what he's doing and see how fast that "fine" goes to "well if I were using hatred right now....."

That's why you usually hardswitch while playing Deception. When I play Hatred and that is very rarely, because I hate Hatred with a passion, I tank tunnel. It really all depends on who is on YOUR team and if you play well enough together for good hardswitches.

Edited by MisterPepssi

That's why you usually hardswitch while playing Deception. When I play Hatred and that is very rarely, because I hate Hatred with a passion, I tank tunnel. It really all depends on who is on YOUR team and if you play well enough together for good hardswitches.

If you find yourself on a team in Yolo who communicates well enough to properly pull of hard swaps I'll give you a cookie. I've yet to find one. It's generally "Kill X first" and that's about as much as most people are willing to listen.

If you find yourself on a team in Yolo who communicates well enough to properly pull of hard swaps I'll give you a cookie. I've yet to find one. It's generally "Kill X first" and that's about as much as most people are willing to listen.

Then dont play solo ranked, it's evident that Yolo is based on luck.. :p

Ps. Not trying to come of as an ***, but I really don't see what Deception is lacking atm.

Edited by MisterPepssi

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.