How much closer are we to Nautolan Playable Race?

ZachSDMF

I would be lying if I said I'm not excited for the Togruta species to make it's debut, however this game has been out for quite a little bit now. I would love to see an old favorite come in to play. There has to be some demand for the Nautolan race to show up as playable among the community. I know we have plenty of Nautolan NPC's, how about the race itself? Lets work through the clipping issues it may bring out and get this humanoid species in here to play.

Unfortunately prob a long long way off. I say this because look how long its was for this race which is what only the second new race so far since start of game? I say how long when in-fact we still don't yet have it.

I expect that this is the only new one we will this year and not sure what the odds would be that Nautolan would be the next out of all the Star Wars races out there.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

True, it has taken awhile. A long while, actually. Makes me wonder why...but honestly, it can't be easy. Syncing and all that.

I would think Nautolan might be high on the list since it's "near human" and didn't the Devs go on record saying they wouldn't ever do anything that would require a new skeleton? So while there are a lot of races in the Galaxy Far Far Away, when you limit it to "nearly human" races, the list becomes a bit shorter.

When they did a poll back in the day this was the top 3...

#1 Cathar.

#2 Togruta

#3 Nautolan

That was the official poll, and that was the order. Of course, as soon as it was announced that cathar were coming all the togruta/nautolan fans started doing their own polls to "prove" that nobody wants Cathar... of course we don't want Cathar, why waste a vote on something we are getting? I voted for Cathar in Bioware's original poll, I voted for togruta in the player polls... you know, cause voting for cathar was a wasted vote.

So, let's hope that the time between Togruta and Nautolan is not as big as the time between Cathar and Togruta, but we'll see. Either way, I can be sure that IF they stick to their poll, then Nautolan is next after togruta. :)

Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

#1 Cathar.

#2 Togruta

#3 Nautolan

That was the official poll, and that was the order. Of course, as soon as it was announced that cathar were coming all the togruta/nautolan fans started doing their own polls to "prove" that nobody wants Cathar... of course we don't want Cathar, why waste a vote on something we are getting? I voted for Cathar in Bioware's original poll, I voted for togruta in the player polls... you know, cause voting for cathar was a wasted vote.

So, let's hope that the time between Togruta and Nautolan is not as big as the time between Cathar and Togruta, but we'll see. Either way, I can be sure that IF they stick to their poll, then Nautolan is next after togruta. :)

Interesting! I figured they add Cathar first just on the basis of the original KotOR, Juhani and all that. But this seems interesting!

I'd LOVE to have Nautolan's as a playable race, myself. Hopefully someday!

I agree! It would be awesome, they are one of the cooler looking "near human" races in the GFFA. :)

I just want voss as playable. If they do that. They can make taun tauns playable as far as im concerned

Voss would be really cool, honestly. I just feel that their "neutral" stance in the existing player stories might make them kind of an odd fit.

Problem with introducing a new race is that most of the gear available to players has to be redesigned for that specific race. To be honest I am suprised we got new races at all. That is not to say I am super stoked about the togruta and was greatly let down with the actual lack of races when the game launched.

But if we get a new race yearly (hopefully more often) I think nautolan will be next on the list. For sure if you let the devs know with threads like this.

Something I also might see happening not this year but maybe in 2016 is a "race expansion" where the character creation screen gets redone and we get like 5-10 new playable races. This is wishfull thinking but I wouldn't bee suprised if something like this happened since there are so many races in the Star Wars Universe.

(NOTHING IS SAID OR CONFIRMED BY THE DEVS ON THIS)

But Nautolan sure would be an awesome addition to the game.

Problem with introducing a new race is that most of the gear available to players has to be redesigned for that specific race.

That's why I believe that Nautolans, and subsequently, Chagrians would end up being dependent on how well (from a development/creating perspective) the Togruta end up being. If the Montrals and front Lekku, turn out to be a development nightmare, then you can kiss the Nautolan & Chagrian goodbye, at least for the foreseeable future. However, if it turns out to be not that big of a headache/nightmare to do, then Nautolan and Chagrian could happen sooner rather then much much later.

That said, I do hope, that much like they did with Jorgan (Trooper's Cathar Companion), that any new Species that they bring in that there is a Companion of said Species, will also get a "make over" from their original version to match any potential change/improvement that gets added with making said Species playable. Me personally, I'd love for the Kaleesh (Xalek's, SI's Companion, Species) to be made playable and I'd honestly rather play as a Gormack over the Voss.

Well, the "head tails", lekku, whatever you may call them for Nautolan, Chagrian and even the Togruta is kind of a moot point with some of the hoods, and what not. If you throw a hood over them, they should disappear, save for maybe the front ones. But if you're thinking of just general clipping, like some of the Bounty Hunter/Trooper gear, I think I can just get over it. I mean, sort of it. I don't expect the head tails to spread out evenly, or dynamically over the backpack or anything, I can get over that.

I think we can all understand there is going to be clipping, and sure we don't want to put a hood up and have head tails trailing out of it (that's just not cool) but overall I think it's very doable from a technological standpoint.

I think the issue of what to do with the head tails has already been addressed with the Twilek. Make hoods and some helmets invisible. The female hair drapes over some armor, and I believe the head tails could be implemented in much the same way.

That's why I believe that Nautolans, and subsequently, Chagrians would end up being dependent on how well (from a development/creating perspective) the Togruta end up being. If the Montrals and front Lekku, turn out to be a development nightmare, then you can kiss the Nautolan & Chagrian goodbye, at least for the foreseeable future. However, if it turns out to be not that big of a headache/nightmare to do, then Nautolan and Chagrian could happen sooner rather then much much later.

And maybe Twi'lek lekku customization, i.e. draped over the shoulders, hmm? HMMM?

Nautolans.... ugh

I would rather play a Voss or a Kaleesh.

Voss makes zero sense from a lore standpoint, not to mention their size would mean having to go through every. single. cutscene and re-edit the camera angles and re-animate NPCs looking at the player. I wouldn't hold your breath, but more variety is, in the end, always a good thing. Implementing Voss would definitely be better than not implementing a new playable race at all.

Kaleesh? Yes. Absolutely. Gimme.

But I also would like Nautolans and I'm excited for Togruta. I really, really wish they could make Trandoshans and/or Rodians work, too, gibberish sound bytes and all.

Voss makes zero sense from a lore standpoint, not to mention their size would mean having to go through every. single. cutscene and re-edit the camera angles and re-animate NPCs looking at the player. I wouldn't hold your breath, but more variety is, in the end, always a good thing. Implementing Voss would definitely be better than not implementing a new playable race at all.

I know from the lore it would be ridiculous, but what do you mean with "their size"? They are as tall as normal humans..

#1 Cathar.

#2 Togruta

#3 Nautolan

That was the official poll, and that was the order. ...

Excuse me but what official poll are you talking about? The only ofiicial poll there was, had Catar on place 7 Togruta on 3 and Naotolan was not even in the top 10.

Anyhow, I don't want to rant about the fact, BioWare didin't took the original rated poll in considertation at all. But please people stop writing about that poll at all. It was nothing more than publicity.

About the races overall, when BioWare decided to implement the fist race, they decided for the cheapest design. Why? Because SWTOR had at this time a very hard time to compete. Thatfore they took the race we all see everywhere in SWTOR and added it to the playable races. And that is how we got Cathar.

Why did it took them so long to give us another race? First of all, because actually the additional races idea didn't went so well as expected. - Yeah, how wonder, adding the least special and least prominent race in the SW-EU. - So they strugled. But after a while things got better.

What exactly happened to this project? I have no idea, why BW gave it another chance. But we ended up getting Togruta. ....And not because it is such a prominent race but, because the design is around since the SWTOR developement. Just added some clipping tweaks and the models are ready to go. - And again, "easy money", so to speak.

How about Nautolans? Again it depends how the buyable race feature will behave. It'll sell well, BW will definetely add more humanoid races. It won't then we'll most probably have seen the last new race in the game with the Togruta.

The good thing about the Nautolan desings is, their headtentacles behave similar to those of th Togruta. So, if the devs get to make the clipping go away wih the Togruta, they have the sollution for any tentacle-heads. That means again, easy money for them. And that might be a good thing for the Nautolan lovers around.

Edited by Isnogut

I know from the lore it would be ridiculous, but what do you mean with "their size"? They are as tall as normal humans..

Are they? I seem to remember them being quite tall. Maybe it's just a trick of the eyes or something, I just remember they have a height option not available to players e.g. body type 1 or 2, but tall. Truth be told I'm also not sure what the fascination is with Voss as a playable race. They wouldn't have their serene voices and mystic psychobabble to make them even remotely fit in, they'd still be using the default class specific dialogue. It's up there with people like me wanting Trandoshans, I don't think a lot of people understand just how immersion-breakingly bad it would be to see a Trandoshian speaking with the human jedi knight voice. Voss would be almost as weird in this regard.

Still, we're more likely to see Voss than any of the playable species I really really reallyreallyreally want i.e. rodians, trandoshans, etc, because they can at least speak Basic properly. How many Trandoshans in lore run around talking in fluent basic? lol

I don't think the Togruta will be the "last playable race" is they don't sell well.

Look at "the other MMO" (ahem, WoW) which is kind of the measuring stick. They have quite a few races of varying sizes and shapes. Now, now, I know the fully voice acted, cut scene system is absolutely absent from "the other MMO", and I believe BioWare went out and said we'll never see "different sized races/skeletons" (IE: Jawa or Wookiee), and that's understandable. So if BioWare is sticking with Humanoid races, we can assume Nautolan will be available at some point. And why wouldn't they be? The assets are in the game for the most part. The amount of races we have now is good, nothing wrong with it, but variety is the key in an MMO, right?

That being said, I think BioWare would be foolish to stop at Togruta "if sales are low". They need to expand. People who play this game (most of them, anyhow) are Star Wars fans and love the GFFA and all the aliens within...even if they are the "nearly human" races. We could see the Devaronians, Kiffar, Sullustans, Pau'ans, etc. I mean, there's plenty of races that can be plugged in to the existing model skeletons. And these races that don't speak native Basic, well we can all suspend disbelief I think.

Are they? I seem to remember them being quite tall. Maybe it's just a trick of the eyes or something, I just remember they have a height option not available to players e.g. body type 1 or 2, but tall.

They're BT2 (and maybe some BT1s), but they're scaled up such that they stand taller than playable humans of all body types excepting maybe male 3 (haven't played one, so haven't seen the difference.) Wouldn't be easy to work in as playable characters with the scaling, certainly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.