Every class should have a "unique ability"

Sarfux

Hey there, it's me again. Here to do another "probably never going to happen but we can dream" thread. :p In future game updates or expansions, they should really expand on the classes some more to make them feel unique from one another and have something "special" about them. To really make the characters feel like they are separate in a way. Of course, depending on what discipline you choose, things may change.

Consular - The consular, in a lot of ways, is a keeper of the light. Relying more upon the force than lightsaber combat a majority of the time, the Consular has the force as their ultimate ally. We can fling debris at foes to make them move slower while they are coming at us, stun them with the force and damage their will to fight. Of all this great stuff we can do, I feel Consulars can do more. Have a "Battle Meditation" ability. With this "Battle Meditation" you can inspire the players around you with special auras that you give off. These can be 'any player within 10 meters of you increases healing received" and you would be the aura. It would go on with your buffs if you were the necessary level to get that ability.

Knight - The Jedi Knight is definitely a symbol of protecting freedom and prosperity wherever they go. They are a force to be reckoned with. A mighty courageous ally of hope on the battlefield. They have a lot of endurance and can go places others cannot. The force leap is a cool move and all, but what if you made the ability a passive. "Ability to jump higher and longer distances". It would really make it feel like you are playing a Jedi and jump to all sorts of cool places. That would be the advantage for the Knight.

Trooper - They are loyal, honorable, committed to the line of duty and work that has been put in front of them. They will uphold the values of the Republic wherever they walk. They will stop at nothing. A soldier of the Republic that inspires bravery and frontline support in the thick of battle. The unique ability for the Trooper would suit to fit his needs to keep fighting even when all seems lost. He can keep going in battle when he gets lower amounts of health, perhaps have an ability called "Command and Conquer" where the Trooper would take charge and where it would basically boost it's stamina, alacrity, shields, stealth scan and stim you when you were about to die to get that last shot off and keep fighting for the Republic.

Smuggler - The smuggler has the attitude and brains to get it done. But get what done? Smuggle? No. The smuggler should be able to have an ability called "cheap skate". Where the smuggler could be able to pay a little less credits and less energy for the things he's buying and abilities he's using because his ability is "cheap skate". This would in roleplaying terms be the Smuggler's bread and butter. He would be swift and persuasive to finagle his way to get that item or thing for cheaper. It would really add a cool dimension to Smuggler and you would feel like you were getting away with something that no other class could. Also, for the advanced class you use a shotgun with, add in a unique ability so you can now dual wield shotguns.

Inquisitor - As a consular is of the light overall, an Inquisitor mainly servers the darkside of the force and as the unique ability for the the Consular are "auras" to increase healing done to nearby players" and aura could be given off within 10m to "increase damage that other players do by a small amount" when they are near that aura. Of the darkness and serving the Empire, Inquisitors will see to it that the Republic will be destroyed.

Warrior - Rage, anger, hatred, attitude. The warrior is mainly out to seek revenge. A loyal servant to the Sith, the Warrior seeks out Jedi wherever they go and wreaks havoc upon star systems that don't fall in line to the Empire. Similar to the Jedi Knight, this unique ability would be "seek and destroy". Where the Warrior would be able to gain tremendous stamina and strength and be able to leap long distances and heights just as the Knight. To be able to hunt down his foes.

Bounty Hunter - They don't really have a side so to speak. But the Bounty Hunters right now are allied with the Empire because they pay them better. The most iconic part of a Bounty Hunter in Star Wars history is the jetpack. The jetpack should mean something when you get one. Not just be there for looks. On the Bounty Hunter, in order for them to get their targets and rain fire down upon their foes, they should have a unique ability called "Air Action" where there could be a bar below your heat bar or wherever else you choose to put it and it would be called "Fuel". I think you know what this does? You could jump but then press space again and your jetpack is now activated! This would last until the fuel was depleted. Then you would have to let it recharge again. It would give the Bounty Hunter actual use of their jetpack!

Imperial Agent - Brains, brawn, secrecy, intelligence, anonymity, deception. The agent is very smart, sneaky and clever throughout their travels in the galaxy. There are many enemies that lay in the field that need to be sabotaged. Many bases and terminals. Sometimes a silent approach is best. As an Operative, the Agent now has the unique ability to dual wield vibroknives as they see fit for completely silent infiltration and harder to detect while in stealth. It would be completely unique for that class. The Sniper advanced class would get a unique ability called "dig in" which would increase the range of abilties such as, but not limited to, snipe, series of shots and ambush by 10 meters. You would feel like a Sniper on the line and could stay safely behind.

Now, before you go. Well Sarfux wait! Isn't this all overpowered?! We do more damage if we are by Inquisitors and get to leap to places other people couldn't? Wouldn't this make PvP extremely unbalanced? The answer is that every single "unique ability" would have it's advantage.

For instance the aura of "increases other players healing within 10 meters" that is the Consular's, could be countered by "increases other players damage within 10 meters" which would be the Inquisitors ability. The Jedi Knights "Ability to Jump Higher and Longer" can be countered by the Warrior's ability to do that same thing. Trooper's "command and conquer" can be countered by either the Inquisitor, Warrior or Bounty Hunter directly but it won't be easy to break him. Smugglers and Operatives would both be able to dual wield their knives or shotguns and go in silently then create havoc. Snipers extra range can be countered by the new unique abilities but still have increased range to make you feel like a Sniper.

You see? Everything gets a counter if you really want to counter it, but it still has it's own special way of playing, everything get's it's own "unique ability" and overall it makes the game more interesting because you can do stuff another class can't. But it's still within balance so it doesn't make a certain class overpowered. They are unique to that class. Sith jumps away? Jump far away with him to counter him. Trooper staying alive? Infiltrate behind him and blast him with those shotguns or dual knives. Consular healing like crazy? Get those Inquisitors up here and do the extra damage instead of the extra healing so you can try to take back what's yours. It would all mold with each other.

This would be loads of fun for people, especially in PvE but PvP also, and I feel would be more of a great addition to the game. I will add to this and edit it the more I think of ways of doing these things. Thanks guys. Look forward to hearing from you!

Edited by Sarfux

Not to give you grief, but you basically just described the way the system already works, just with different abilities.

There's a reason classes more or less mirror each other - for balance.

I don't disagree that it'd be cool to see now new, unique abilities - but just to take one of your examples:

A smuggler gets discounts on stuff as an ability? Do you have any idea how many people would FLIP OUT about not getting the same rates for items just because they didn't opt to play Smuggler? In cases where there's already a perceived imbalance, people already lose their sh*t - what about that particular suggestion would have them any less in a tizzy?

And I'm not sure if you're aware, but there are already group buffs and such available through the new utilities that you can spec your toon for.

Edited by Bachannal

Remember I said I would edit it as I think more about these also.

They definitely need some edits, lol.

Bounty Hunters can just activate in-fight backpack flight? Um...so how is that an ability?

And I love that you managed to sneak the "dual wield vibroknives" for Agent in again, lol. Seriously - that's never gonna happen.

Not to give you grief, but you basically just described the way the system already works, just with different abilities.

There's a reason classes more or less mirror each other - for balance.

I don't disagree that it'd be cool to see now new, unique abilities - but just to take one of your examples:

A smuggler gets discounts on stuff as an ability? Do you have any idea how many people would FLIP OUT about not getting the same rates for items just because they didn't opt to play Smuggler? In cases where there's already a perceived imbalance, people already lose their sh*t - what about that particular suggestion would have them any less in a tizzy?

And I'm not sure if you're aware, but there are already group buffs and such available through the new utilities that you can spec your toon for.

Every class would have a unique ability. That's what you get for playing smuggler. I'm not talking something that was 15,000 now costing 8,000 or anything huge like that. Just a couple hundred maybe. That's why it's called a unique ability. That's the point of it being unique. Want that aura? Play Inquisitor or Consular. Want to infiltrate and have energy cost less? Play Agent or Smuggler. Want to go to places others can't? Play Jedi, Sith Warrior or Bounty Hunter. Want to Snipe far behind enemy lines? Play Sniper.

That is the whole point of "unique ability". Sometimes there are things that others do better. Everything can't be the same for everybody all the time. It's just an idea that would add a lot more spice to the game I think. :).

Also, just like my "mentor system" thread. I know most of this will never happen but would be a great addition to the game. Especially the mentor system. Hence why I said "probably never going to happen but we can dream" thread in the beginning. Just something that I thought about to make it more interesting :)

Edited by Sarfux

But the game already has unique abilities for every class. If you want to be a BH - you can't use a sniper rifle. That's unique. If you want to dual wield sabers and you're a trooper - guess what, no can do - it's unique to saber wielding classes.

Don't get me wrong - I dig your enthusiasm and your desire to see new things added to the game. and I agree that the game could use some fun new aspects - but, they have to be viable ones, not just "Unicorn wishlist" things, because when Devs and Product managers are thinking of features for a game, they're going to look at what is not only doable (relatively easily), but something that would (presumably) add value.

Thus far while your suggestions are kinda "fun", none of them are really value adds to the playing experience. I mean, if my spiffy new unique ability gets easily canceled out by the unique ability of another class, then what is it's point? Then they just become unique class emotes more than anything.

Edited by Bachannal

But the game already has unique abilities for every class. If you want to be a BH - you can't use a sniper rifle. That's unique. If you want to dual wield sabers and you're a trooper - guess what, no can do - it's unique to saber wielding classes.

Don't get me wrong - I dig your enthusiasm and your desire to see new things added to the game. and I agree that the game could use some fun new aspects - but, they have to be viable ones, not just "Unicorn wishlist" things, because when Devs and Product managers are thinking of features for a game, they're going to look at what is not only doable (relatively easily), but something that would (presumably) add value.

Thus far while your suggestions are kinda "fun", none of them are really value adds to the playing experience. I mean, if my spiffy new unique ability gets easily canceled out by the unique ability of another class, then what is it's point? Then they just become unique class emotes more than anything.

Biggest buzzkill ever :( I will agree this idea is stretching it in some ways. If you don't agree this is a viable one, take a look at my mentor system idea. That is MORE than dooable.

Edited by Sarfux

Biggest buzzkill ever :( I will agree this idea is stretching it in some ways. If you don't agree this is a viable one, take a look at my mentor system idea. That is MORE than dooable.

Ah yes...also a fun idea in theory, but do you have any idea how much they'd have to add to the game in order for that to happen? Hours and hours of voice acting would have to happen for the various classes, companions, etc. - that alone is a massive time/money sink in a game like this. That's not even considering the storywriting that would have to take place (remember it'd be more or less unique for every class), all of the various options that would have to be thought out, the quests themselves...ad infinitum.

You're basically talking about tacking on an entirely new system to the pre-existing one. Do you see how well GSF worked? (hint: it's still a buggy mess)

You see how well they did with just this last expansion - we're MONTHS into it and there're still bugs out the wazoo.

Again - great ideas, but your faith in Bioware's ability to code any of this is woefully inappropriate given how they have handled things with the game in the last year or more.

Now if you wanna say "After you have fixed all of the MYRIAD bugs that already plague the existing system, and THEN attach something like this to the game...I'd be all for it. Sadly, I just don't have the faith that Bioware's Devs could handle something that intensive.

Maybe I'm the only one here but I already understood what you said.

Many good ideas and no, there aren't those unique things in the game right now, no even close to that.

The conversation of.. "If you want to use a Lightsaber, then you can't play as Trooper or Smuggler. And this is unique thing like you are saying." CAN'T be more ridiculous.

This is not a unique thing. This is simple and obvious of ANY MMO, come on, don't play like a fool bud please!

Every MMO have many different playable classes. This is the system, and not a unique thing.

I can't agree more with this thread. We really needs something like this.

And... jumping long range distances as Jedi Knight? With sure that no one's else (but only Jedi Knights/Sith Warriors maybe) can? - @!%¨&!*¨awesome, just that.

So, after all, TOTALLY AGREED! I'm signing in this idea so much. Nicely done.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.