need your help being efficient with CS

Daniellcarlson

so my plan is to play all the classes eventually. One thing i enjoy doing is searching for recipes in whatever game i am playing.

So

other than reverse engineering, what crew skill missions will give schematics as a reward from time to time?

ive read slicing and investigation does and maybe underworld trading. is this true does?

does diplomacy?

im also try to go at this as to picking up crew skills to help alts later. i plan to pursue all schematics on my sith characters and just do gathering or something on the republic side and just sell items on the GTN. so in total i would make 6 characters sith side first.

id like to take up cybertech first then maybe armortech/armstech second etc etc but definately cybertech for a first choice.

do you have a suggestion for what crafting skills should be taken first second third when it comes to alt play?

i am also not concerned with what companions give what bonuses as i am not interested in the math of this game..im just looking to have fun.

All the mission skills (Investigation, Underworld Trading, Diplomacy, and Treasure Hunting) plus Slicing can generate schematics. They are randomly generated, but often guaranteed on a critical success (more on that later). That being said, just my opinion, but you need to be a masochist to actively seek schematics that serve little to no purpose (the overwhelming majority of the randomly generated schematics are simply not appealing to anyone except "completionists" - those who want the schematics just because they exist).

In my mind you are contradicting yourself. You want to know which crafting skill is best to take first and yet you state that you do not want to "optimize" your skills. So which is it? What is "best to take first" depends on a number of factors:

1. what class you are playing first: it makes no sense to take up a predominantly force using crafting skill like synthweaving on a tech user class like the Bounty Hunter.
  2. I know you do not want to hear it, but given a specific class, what are the "optimized" crew skills based on companion bonuses: it makes more sense for a Sith Warrior to take Synthweaving than an Inquisitor because of the +5 crit bonus. I am not saying you "YOU MUST TAKE SYNTHWEAVING ON YOUR SITH WARRIOR OR YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!!!!!" but it is a consideration that should be made.
  3. You say you want to sell stuff on the GTN, so you want a crafting skill that has lots of desirable schematics.

Edited by psandak

i am a completist yes.

i play games to have fun first, if companion "A" gives +5 to something and i dont have a toon leveled for that companion crew skill but yet want to take said crew skill first then i will do that even if it means losing out on +5.

i didnt mention optimize i jus said im not into the math of the game meaning im not looking for the best gear to do the top damage so if a crew skill gave me +anything to whatever character it isnt going to break me because im okay with that.

the first class im playing is a sith sorc, i have one of everything else but at low levels. if you are looking for a list then is will be sith inquistor, imperial agent, sith warrior, bounty hunter, sith inquistor to go up the other side of the advanced class then maybe another sith warrior for other side of advanced class..so i can take one one crafting skill per toon.

as for the GTN i would take up for the republic side take crew skills that just gather materials and i would sell the raw material to the GTN..none of the sith side crafting stuff would be sold for the sake of money making in game.

this is all very long term stuff so it will probably change later in game maybe a year from now who knows.

All the mission skills (Investigation, Underworld Trading, Diplomacy, and Treasure Hunting) plus Slicing can generate schematics. They are randomly generated, but often guaranteed on a critical success (more on that later). That being said, just my opinion, but you need to be a masochist to actively seek schematics that serve little to no purpose (the overwhelming majority of the randomly generated schematics are simply not appealing to anyone except "completionists" - those who want the schematics just because they exist).

In my mind you are contradicting yourself. You want to know which crafting skill is best to take first and yet you state that you do not want to "optimize" your skills. So which is it? What is "best to take first" depends on a number of factors:

1. what class you are playing first: it makes no sense to take up a predominantly force using crafting skill like synthweaving on a tech user class like the Bounty Hunter.
  2. I know you do not want to hear it, but given a specific class, what are the "optimized" crew skills based on companion bonuses: it makes more sense for a Sith Warrior to take Synthweaving than an Inquisitor because of the +5 crit bonus. I am not saying you "YOU MUST TAKE SYNTHWEAVING ON YOUR SITH WARRIOR OR YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!!!!!" but it is a consideration that should be made.
  3. You say you want to sell stuff on the GTN, so you want a crafting skill that has lots of desirable schematics.

i didnt mention optimize i jus said im not into the math of the game meaning im not looking for the best gear to do the top damage so if a crew skill gave me +anything to whatever character it isnt going to break me because im okay with that.

OK thank you for the clarification. There are no "crew skill buffs" where one particular class having a particular crew skill would increase any stat in any way. In 1.x there was a point where one could craft top end gear that was BoP, but even then it was only a couple of items and those exact items could be obtained through raiding. The remnant of that are all the "Rakata" gear schematics that are available at the trainers.

There was a benefit for characters to have Biochem in that they could craft reusable medpacs, stims, and adrenals that only biochems could use. Cybertech has something similar in the from of grenades. But with 3.0 and crafting from 451-500 those reusables were not continued; they exist from 1-450 crew skill skill and can be used beyond, but they are not as good as the consumable 451-500 varieties.

The general idea of crew skills is that any character can take any crew skill and get some sort of benefit, but none are "required."

Actually, since the Ship Droid has +5% crit sensors for Synthweaving and Cybertech, they're two that are fine for anyone. However, for optimal crafting of Armstech, Corso Riggs has +5% crit (which synergizes well with Gus Tanno's Investigation crit bonus), and similarly, for Armormech, Tanno Vik has +5% crit (which again synergizes with M1-4X's +5% scavenging crit).

Conversely, Artifice has no crit bonus at all, so Treek or HK-51 with their +1% crit bonus is as good as you get.

Edited by Ancaglon

Actually, since the Ship Droid has +5% crit sensors for Synthweaving and Cybertech, they're two that are fine for anyone.

I will not dispute that, but the SW and JK having a story companion that also has +5 crit to Synthweaving makes those classes having that crafting skill that much more appealing.

Of course I am drifting off topic, so i will leave it at that.

I will not dispute that, but the SW and JK having a story companion that also has +5 crit to Synthweaving makes those classes having that crafting skill that much more appealing.

Of course I am drifting off topic, so i will leave it at that.

The Ship Droid also has crit bonuses for TH, UWT, and Diplomacy. You can get multiple sensors, but it is mildly annoying to switch them out. I can't recall ever wanting to craft more than 5 SW items (augments or kits) at one time, so the real "advantage" to having a JK or SW be your Synthweaver is that you don't have to switch the Ship Droid sensor as often. I have two SWs with TH (Vette's +5 crit is the best), and I do enjoy not having to switch the sensor on the one that also has Synthweaving.

The Ship Droid also has crit bonuses for TH, UWT, and Diplomacy. You can get multiple sensors, but it is mildly annoying to switch them out. I can't recall ever wanting to craft more than 5 SW items (augments or kits) at one time, so the real "advantage" to having a JK or SW be your Synthweaver is that you don't have to switch the Ship Droid sensor as often. I have two SWs with TH (Vette's +5 crit is the best), and I do enjoy not having to switch the sensor on the one that also has Synthweaving.

I sometimes craft 15 Synthweaved augments at a time, using Kira, Ship Droid, and HK-51. Different strokes...

I sometimes craft 15 Synthweaved augments at a time, using Kira, Ship Droid, and HK-51. Different strokes...

I'm not saying it's not useful (in fact, I did pick a SW for Synthweaving), I just categorize having a second +5 as a luxury. The important thing would be not taking Synthweaving on a char that could get a +5 to something else *unless* that you already had a char with that +5.

And I rarely make augments or kits for sale, because the profit margins are so low, and when I do make augments for sale, I rarely make more than one of each at a time. To many people pump and dump to make me want to keep a large inventory.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.