Is this PC good?

xMattxWSR

Hello everyone, sorry I know there are alot of these but I have a build that I want to know how it will run SWTOR. I want to get atleast 45+ FPS consistently (maybe not in PVP or on fleet) on atleast high settings at all times. All parts are from PC Part Picker.

Processor: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Harddrive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: LG Internal 24x Super Multi with M-DISC Support SATA Model GH24NSC0B - OEM

Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

I appreciate any feedback! :)

I'm not sure about SWTOR, but most MMORPGs are CPU intensive in certain circumstances - mostly involving the number of players and NPCs in a certain area.

The FX-6300 might struggle in some areas of SWTOR. It should be fine in non-MMO games like CoD, etc.

Other than that, the system is fine. The R9 280 is more than ample for 1920x1080 (or less).

Note - even an Intel i5 (like my i5-3570K) will struggle at times. But for any MMO I would recommend an i5-4xxx (any model) if budget allows.

Edited by JediQuaker

I'm not sure about SWTOR, but most MMORPGs are CPU intensive in certain circumstances - mostly involving the number of players and NPCs in a certain area.

The FX-6300 might struggle in some areas of SWTOR. It should be fine in non-MMO games like CoD, etc.

Other than that, the system is fine. The R9 280 is more than ample for 1920x1080 (or less).

Note - even an Intel i5 (like my i5-3570K) will struggle at times. But for any MMO I would recommend an i5-4xxx (any model) if budget allows.

In what areas do you think the processor will struggle? I'm not to big on PVP

Yes, AMD always suffers in terms of raw gaming performance compared to the equivalent Intel chips. At this stage I would generally advise people steer clear of AMD for gaming ( CPU, the GPU's are great ).

One other thing that will give you noticeable QoL in SWToR is a solid state drive. It will cause area's to load noticeably quicker than an HDD. It won't really improve your FPS at all however but they are definitely nice to have for increasing anything to do with loading from disk ( operating system boot times of 15 seconds for example )

Per GB it is pricier so generally you buy one ( or two if you want a seperate drive for o/s/pagefile and game installs ) purely for loading games, your operating system etc. and keep your HDD for bulk storage.

Yes, AMD always suffers in terms of raw gaming performance compared to the equivalent Intel chips. At this stage I would generally advise people steer clear of AMD for gaming ( CPU, the GPU's are great ).

One other thing that will give you noticeable QoL in SWToR is a solid state drive. It will cause area's to load noticeably quicker than an HDD. It won't really improve your FPS at all however but they are definitely nice to have for increasing anything to do with loading from disk ( operating system boot times of 15 seconds for example )

Per GB it is pricier so generally you buy one ( or two if you want a seperate drive for o/s/pagefile and game installs ) purely for loading games, your operating system etc. and keep your HDD for bulk storage.

In what areas do you think the processor will struggle? I'm not to big on PVP

Any area where you have a number of players and/or NPCs on screen at the same time. It's most noticeable in things like killing Revan or that uber droid on Yavin4, etc.

The i5-4590 is a great choice - you can't actually get much better at this time. There's not much difference, fps-wise, between any i5/i7 and even the socket 2011 "E" processors don't give much better fps (but they have more PCIe lanes for better SLI/Crossfire performance with multiple GPUs)

Edited by JediQuaker

Any area where you have a number of players and/or NPCs on screen at the same time. It's most noticeable in things like killing Revan or that uber droid on Yavin4, etc.

The i5-4590 is a great choice - you can't actually get much better at this time. There's not much difference, fps-wise, between any i5/i7 and even the socket 2011 "E" processors don't give much better fps (but they have more PCIe lanes for better SLI/Crossfire performance with multiple GPUs)

Thanks. I just ordered all the parts today, including the i5 4590. :)

Edited by xMattxWSR

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.