A way to make operative a bit better at dps

steveerkcanjerk

Now i just want to get out there i work on a indie team as a level/gameplay/quest designer (we are making a mmo). The reason i threw that out there is not to brag but to show that i am not just a fan who plays games i understand what gameplay design is and i have played a operative extensively and i do believe i know what the issue is. I feel the style the operative has to play is bad and what i mean is that it is basically a melee dps. I find that this class struggles to compete because they are put into the realm of juggs, sins, and mara. I feel instead of having lethal strike and abilities like backstab they should be more of a skirmisher mid ranged (which i feel swtor really does not have either you are way back or you are up close) and if feel this will make them better to play especially in ranked. Instead of a bunch of melee strikes to proc dots and etc why not give them 20 - 25m range with abilities like lethal shot and stuff like that just give them some range because i find that what makes it tough is i have to come next to all the melee classes and compete with them and yes they should beat you cause that is what they do i feel the operative needs a specialty and that would come in the mid range game not the long or melee they would have a more unique style to them and more viable then they are now because being out of range of some of the melee does help survivability. And the dot spread could be improved with a aoe grenade that spreads(basically it is death field with nade animation) . I feel with these changes the class would get better what does the community think about this. i also have a hatred sin if ops have a dot spread like that they would be alot more viable in ranked and warzones.

First of all, paragraphs and other punctuation than the period do exist. Please use them :w_tongue:

Unfortunately, what you are suggesting is essentially a complete and total overhaul of a class that has been built to be a close range/melee class since the initial conception of the game. Bioware is going to need to make other changes in order to improve their survivability and overall utility in PvP.

its not really that big of a overhaul basically you take the abilities that already exist and add range things like the corrosive dart already have solid range on them. rename them and assign an animation just like adding mobility to unload (which in theory is much harder to code then what i am suggesting). i believe that if they become mid ranged fighters with the same abilities just increased range they will be harder for at least melee characters to kill and have alot more tactical options. bioware scrapped skill trees this is not a big change in the sense of creating it and the rotation will be same just a slight range increase it will make the class better and giving opertives the option to be in close range and mid range will increase survivability without even giving them a buff the self heals are pretty good on a lethality operative.

edit: at this point in the game they seem to lack survivability because that is what happens when you have to fight next to a juggernaut. it is not the stats necessarily or the quality of self heals it is the fact that they are competing with a melee dps classes that are just better at it. instead of nerfing them why not make the op better at something that is not even in the game yet. also adding buffs or ability to add survivability does not increase dps you last longer but the other classes still out dps you. increasing range of abilities will help you stay alive without making you over powered. <---- thats the key without making you op cause if you add more direct buffs to the class it will become op. (i thank the above post for bringing a good point with his thoughts without trying to be a jerk lets keep the thread that way)

Edited by steveerkcanjerk

Upping the range on blaster attacks from 10m to 15m would be very reasonable. I could see 20m or 25m creating some potential balance issues, but 15m shouldn't break anything.

It's not like another melee class can already use his core rotation from 15m or + ... wait... :rak_03:

Indeed... if PTs can do it (better damage, CC and survivability then us also), then why can't we? But are you talking about changing shiv and backstab (along with their replacement abilities for each disciplines) along with laceration? This could be a problem for concealment as it's supposed to be a melee burst spec (even though its burst only comes in every 15 sec or so) but for lethality this could be a very good thing.

Edited by ArielRebel

Now i just want to get out there i work on a indie team as a level/gameplay/quest designer (we are making a mmo). The reason i threw that out there is not to brag but to show that i am not just a fan who plays games i understand what gameplay design is and i have played a operative extensively and i do believe i know what the issue is. I feel the style the operative has to play is bad and what i mean is that it is basically a melee dps. I find that this class struggles to compete because they are put into the realm of juggs, sins, and mara. I feel instead of having lethal strike and abilities like backstab they should be more of a skirmisher mid ranged (which i feel swtor really does not have either you are way back or you are up close) and if feel this will make them better to play especially in ranked. Instead of a bunch of melee strikes to proc dots and etc why not give them 20 - 25m range with abilities like lethal shot and stuff like that just give them some range because i find that what makes it tough is i have to come next to all the melee classes and compete with them and yes they should beat you cause that is what they do i feel the operative needs a specialty and that would come in the mid range game not the long or melee they would have a more unique style to them and more viable then they are now because being out of range of some of the melee does help survivability. And the dot spread could be improved with a aoe grenade that spreads(basically it is death field with nade animation) . I feel with these changes the class would get better what does the community think about this. i also have a hatred sin if ops have a dot spread like that they would be alot more viable in ranked and warzones.

Basically what you want is already in the game - you need to stop playing your scoundrel and roll a tactics vanguard.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.