Fighting / skill

Maxdeagle

Well I have a suggestion about the fighting system bounded to the skill that you use. I think everyone notices that when you target an enemy and click on a skill, your character turn automatically to face your enemy and by the same way, cast the skill and attack; even if the enemy isn't in front of you. Well, my suggestion would be that when the '' caster '', I mean the character, have to face the enemy to cast the skill and don't turn automatically to attack.

For the melee class:

It would be facing the target to be able to use any skills / attack. Meaning, that you can't use any skills if you don't face your enemy. If the target is behind you, you won't turn around automatically, so you won't be able to use your skills.

For the caster / ranged class :

It would be to face the target and make your character turn if the enemy is going in your back. Meaning, that if you start casting a spell and the enemy is going in your back, the player has to make your character '' move '' because you don't automatically follow the moves of your enemy. If you don't face him at the end of your cast while he's moving around, the cast will be cancel.

Finally, I think that it would be harder to be a good player and mostly in PvP. You will need more skills from the players to be able to kill each other and also to heal your teammates!

Edited by Maxdeagle

Words fail me in expressing how much I would hate that system you propose.

I am more than happy, that turning around is NOT ANY ISSUE in fighting in SWTOR.

This has nothing to do with the suggestion mind you I personally think it would be terrible, but I am so very glad to see you posting again JPryde.

How can you prove yourself worthy or talented when the fighting system is noob-friendly?

If you move around and use your skills and someone isnt moving, he just has to push 1, 2 or 3 and he will attack you automatically without facing you because this system is doing all the work for you.

What made the difference between people is the stuff. Buy and win. No moving around = no skill play. Use the '' sequence '' or the skills order... that's all you need to know.

I am not really sure, if we do play the same game.

In PvE you are dead, if you do not move. There is hardly any boss, where you can just stand still throughout the fight and many if not all mechanics are dependent on being able to run in one direction while doing damage to another direction. With 3.0 about every class got an improved mobilty while doing damage or healing

And to be honest, I never thought that pretending to be a crazy bunny hopping maniac on steroids would make a player any more skilful.

In SWTOR your skill fokus is on using the right fighting skills in the right order and situation, be aware of your own buffs and procs, the enemies debuffs and defense skills and act accordingly.

SWTOR is not an FPS and never wanted to be one. It was also designed from the start to include auto-face-target and your complaint was issued three years ago, discussed and dismissed. Nothing has changed from there.

Yes, I agree with you that you've to move in PvE, but in PvP you can almost stand still and only cast your spell without moving your character because the fighting system is making it moving for you. That means, you move, your target is in your back, you click on your skill and your character is moving automatically to face your target and use the skill.

You should make your character face the opponent by yourself and then be able to use your skill. It's noob-friendly for a healer, a caster and even a melee class to just click on the right spell without facing the target and attack. For exemple, if you PvE or PvP, turn around so the mob or the player is behind you and click on a skill. Your character will move automatically to face your ennemy. The only way that you will not cast your spell is if the target is too far away, if there's an obstacle or if you got cancel by another skill.

And by the way, I'm not talking about bunny hopping, I'm talking about moving around the target so you can '' cancel '' the enemy cast or that the player (in PvP) has to turn around by himself to be able to use a skill against you! And yes, the auto-face-target is noob-friendly and that's what I'm trying to bring here. I don't know how you can prove yourself worthy of being a good player if there's the auto-face-target...

You can proove yourself worthy in ANY system, if you are performing better than the rest, while all have the same conditions.... and that is the case.

And if you want to break LOS by getting in the back of the "caster", would you then at the same time also agree, that collision detection would need to be on? In my opinion, there is absolutely no skill involved in just running THROUGH your enemy, to get out of his sight. And running around the char takes time... do you believe that this is worth it?

But I got to cite it again.. the matter was discussed three years ago. The core game mechanics were set in stone back then... your suggestion was also brought up in detail in that time... and it was dismissed. To my knowledge none of the reasons for the implemented system did change in those three years.

Well you can only prove yourself worthy ONLY by knowing the skill's order and by your stuff... So if you're fighting the same class and specs as you with better stuff (PvP) there's almost no chance you can win. If both of you know how to use your skill properly, how can you defeat him? By being lucky with crits?

Maybe you think there's no skill by going THROUGH someone, but you still have to face your target to be able to cast or use any skill. That means you AND the enemy will have to move to be able to use a skill. But like I said, the system is noob-friendly so there's almost no point about moving in PvP when it's melee vs melee cause the skills will turn you around automatically. Yes, maybe there's some skill that need to be in the back to use it, but whatever your enemy will turn around in 1 sec. cause he will use a skill... So yes, I think this is worth it. Only because some people are not used to move properly and we can take advantage of that.

By the same time, healers will be a little bit harder in PvE AND PvP because they will need the target to be in front of them and not just click on the people who are low HP and heal him like if it was nothing. In PvP, casters will need to take advantage of the territory and obstacle and they will have to move too, making them harder to play and also better to be a good PvP player. The same thing goes for the melee, they will have to move and take advantage of the way the enemy is moving.

Maybe it has been discussed 3 years ago, but it's never too late for a change! And I think people who like PvP will like this idea. Well, the PvE will almost be the same, but there will be a huge difference in PvP between good and great players.

I don't know how you can prove yourself worthy of being a good player if there's the auto-face-target...

Well, I don't know why I should "prove myself worthy of being a good player"...

Actually, I could give a damn wether you or anyone else consideres me a good player, or a "worthy" player, or wether he thinks I'm just a dumb nood. I simply don't care. I want the game to work, and it works fine with the system in place. Adding a feature where facing matters (more than it does at the moment) would only unnecesseraly complicate the game. And I don't know why the game should be more harder to handle just so that some wannabe elitist get his low self esteem a boost by proving himself to be a "good" player (whatever that means). It's a game, it'S supposed to be fun, and making it harder will propably not mean "more fun" to most players, so it's a no-go.

First of all, like I already said, in PvP, it's almost impossible to prove yourself better then the others. If you're fighting someone with the same class and the same specs as you but the enemy has better stuff there's almost no chance to win except if you're lucky with crits. or if it's a 2v1... The only thing you need to know is the skill order... Maybe you don't give a damn about being ''worthy'' or being a good player to the others, but how can you be distinguishable?

Then, you think it will complicate the game? Well it will be a little bit harder and now we could see a difference between good and bad players. There will not be a big change in the PvE, but in PvP, you will see that it will be harder and good players will be notice. You think there's some wannabe elitist? Well, removing the auto-face target will bring some challenges! Yes a game is suppose to be fun, but not when it's too noob-friendly or too easy tho. By removing the auto-face target, it will be a little bit harder like I said, but it won't change everything! It will still be playable, but for PvP players, they will have more fun because they can be distinguishable from the others and maybe it will be possible to win a 1v2 or to win against players who have better stuff then you do because now, the ONLY thing you need to know is the skill order...

Finally, you will have to take advantage of the environment, the players who moves around and you will need to focus not only on your skills, but on the fight itself. In PvE you need to move so you do not get hit and normally, you still face the target, so it won't change a lot of things. In PvP tho, the game will be on another level. You will need to focus on your skills, on your environment, on the target's movements and also on your partners! Yes, the healers and the casters will need to have a target in his sight. That means the healers won't be able to heal a friend if he's not in front of you! So they won't have to just stand there and click on his low HP friend and then press 1, 2, 3....

You can already show that you are a good player by being able to kill an opponent even if they got the same gear as you. As people regularly get killed, the game is obviously not "easy" enough to make players just stay alive, regardless of where you face.

Also, your environment argument is absolutely flawed, as environment got absolutely nothing to do with the direction you are facing. If you move out of line of sight today, you can do that, totally disregarding in which direction your oponent is facing.

You however want an easier way to break LOS... by just running through your opponent... and you claim that that requires more skill...

Anyway.. you made your plea... I am opposed to your idea... since you are aparently not getting anthing even close to a strong backup with your idea, it will very likely not be implemented.

Only thing I hate about this game is the GCD and the forced rotation. Rather than it be free style, you are force to wait for the GCD to run it's course rather than let the player, play at their own speed. The rotation does nothing more than reinforce the robotic-ness of SW:TOR gameplay. I tend to win what I do and still do good doing it.

Only thing I hate about this game is the GCD and the forced rotation. Rather than it be free style, you are force to wait for the GCD to run it's course rather than let the player, play at their own speed. The rotation does nothing more than reinforce the robotic-ness of SW:TOR gameplay. I tend to win what I do and still do good doing it.

The GCD makes things fair. You're suggesting giving an unfair advantage to players in Texas, and saying that the rest of the world is worthless.

Then, you think it will complicate the game? Well it will be a little bit harder and now we could see a difference between good and bad players. There will not be a big change in the PvE...

Obviously, you have no idea of how much it will change. Lag (wich is a constant problem for me) would expand from a small annoyance (as it is now) to a huge problem. With a system like you suppose, I would propably have to stop playing the game at, since I have almost always lag - wich means in most cases, my targets are not in the place they are shown on my screen.

And I give a damn wether you think that your stupid miserable PvP-BS needs an improvement. Come up with an idea that does not interfere even a little bit with PvE, and I'm fine with. Keep posting ideas that change my playing experience to a less entertaining one, and I call your idea what it is: stupid worthless BS.

The GCD makes things fair. You're suggesting giving an unfair advantage to players in Texas, and saying that the rest of the world is worthless.

GCD maybe good for range classes to extend, but not melee classes. The skills already have cool downs on them and there are already "energy" limits on skills there is no reason from prevent people from unload their skills .

GCD maybe good for range classes to extend, but not melee classes. The skills already have cool downs on them and there are already "energy" limits on skills there is no reason from prevent people from unload their skills .

GCD is the grand equalizer in terms of latency. That was the point being made by the person you responded to.

GCD is the grand equalizer in terms of latency. That was the point being made by the person you responded to.

Let get this straight. GCD was put in place so some ****** player in Taiwan playing on ****** US server with a ****** computer and has ****** player skills could compete with other ****** skilled players all while eating ****** shrimp. Is that what you are telling me? That isn't a good reason to have . Buy a less ****** computer with less ****** internet connection. The rest of us shouldn't have to suffer because of one ****** player with ****** options and ****** technology.

Edited by adproduction

Let get this straight. GCD was put in place so some ****** player in Taiwan playing on ****** US server with a ****** computer and has ****** player skills could compete with other ****** skilled players all while eating ****** shrimp. Is that what you are telling me? That isn't a good reason to have . Buy a less ****** computer with less ****** internet connection. The rest of us shouldn't have to suffer because of one ****** player with ****** options and ****** technology.

Wow that didn't sound racist at all. Also as others have mentioned the GCD makes things fair. Oh and I play on a US server from Australia. So don't speak for everyone as this issue affects no one but you.

Wow that didn't sound racist at all. Also as others have mentioned the GCD makes things fair. Oh and I play on a US server from Australia. So don't speak for everyone as this issue affects no one but you.

So what part is racist, mentioning the Taiwan player or crappy US players? And it isn't if it is doing to allow players like to exist on my server. Also South Park.

What do you think about that? Maybe you can share your opinion on the subject...?

Terrible idea... we're talking about a game that requires you to jump to know where you really are to avoid aoe damage. terrible idea.

You have obviously never played a class that requires standing behind a target to use certain abilities. how about now... nope... now? nope... but I'm humping him for christ sake... nope.

Edited by Derat

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.