You remember back in the middle of 2014 when people...

Nickious

were saying Bioware wouldn't get the expansion out by 2014. Kind of wish they were right.

Bioware, its a hollow victory to release a expansion before its ready to rush a sale or prove the detractors wrong. It taints the product and the perception of your current capabilities. Surely you have some capable people working on TOR. While capable, they should have had more time. People would have complained due to a wait. That's expected, but more people might have been satisfied with the end product.

Additionally, even if this bug still made into the current game at a later release date, at least you wouldn't have been hampered with any major holidays. Reasonable people understand you are actual people and enjoy merriment and want to take some time off but it kind of gives the perception of dragging your feet with a unfinished product.

Complete bug free expansions at launch is delusional, but no major game-breaking bugs is not unreasonable.

I condone cheaters and they deserved a punishment, but I understand partially the reasoning behind it seeing as a current bug made it impossible to be rewarded from completing the actual content. Honest people are just left in the dust, unrewarded.

A minor quip I'll mention as well. I really don't know the work this would have been, so forgive me for underestimating but surely it couldn't have been that much work to add text with non-basic companions that only repeat the same words over and over again. Aliens are people too.

One issue was that they were on a content drought for many months prior to the expansion release. Frankly, by the standard of their own content release schedule in 2013, this was unacceptable. If they had delayed the expansion towards the end it would have been very disappointing as the content lull would have exceeded what I believe was the limit for even many patient folks.

The real question for me is how they had so much time to work on it, yet delivered such a superficial product. Relying on previously released Forged Alliances to make up 2 levels of content, unpolished feel, lack of significantly different faction stories, overly short and simplistic quests granting huge XP, and bugs all around were some issues I had. It wasn't all bad of course, the story had some strong moments and the environments were impressive. I also loved the inclusion of the class quest regardless of how short it was. Still, overall the expansion was fairly watered down imho.

were saying Bioware wouldn't get the expansion out by 2014. Kind of wish they were right.

Bioware, its a hollow victory to release a expansion before its ready to rush a sale or prove the detractors wrong. It taints the product and the perception of your current capabilities. Surely you have some capable people working on TOR. While capable, they should have had more time. People would have complained due to a wait. That's expected, but more people might have been satisfied with the end product.

I said back when GSH launched that Bioware would hold true and launch SOMETHING in 2014, just to be able to say they did...

Releasing something, however bug ridden, just to say you did, doesn't count IMHO...

But to each their own...

What was the drastically different faction quests I missed from HC? Right

Also, when the story is written to have the factions work together ummm.. yea not gonna be two different stories.

Always reach 60 before Yavin so.. not sure there's a lack of content. Granted if you do the one quest line only you're pretty screwed.

Finally, they don't care if you doubted when they would get it released, but y'know who did? EA.

99% of all content released since launch has been "both factions working together to stop a greater threat."

I for one am frackin tired of it. It's lazy and cheap. 2nd or 3rd most profitable MMO now and this is what we get. It's a good thing Star Wars fans are used to getting **** on or this game wouldn't even be relevant.

Do you remember 2011, when the game released as a sub only game? Yeah, those were the days. When they actually had the money and the staff to make this game so much more.

I actually am quite happy with the game right now, and don't currently play anything else. Except for a couple really bad nerf decisions, and bugs that need to be fixed, I like all the new stuff that was added while I was gone (for a year and a half). Could there be more? Yes. Could things be a little more polished when it's released? Absolutely. But it is what it is.

Edit: I would also add that it's my opinion the game prior to 3.0 release is what it should have been at launch, content-wise.

Edited by painterwhit
would like to add to my original reply

i still dont think the rush to release a horribly bugged expansion is the main issue

the main issue in my mind was the apparent 4 weeks disappearing act they did and when they returned, still haven't fixed anything by the end of january.

99% of all content released since launch has been "both factions working together to stop a greater threat."

I for one am frackin tired of it. It's lazy and cheap. 2nd or 3rd most profitable MMO now and this is what we get. It's a good thing Star Wars fans are used to getting **** on or this game wouldn't even be relevant.

LOL! I agree.

And what do you expect? Someone has to pay for the name and stat changes that will need to be made for Madden 16 ;)

The biggest problem, imo, is that SWTOR is nothing to EA. EA doesn't care if it sinks or swims...they have so many titles the far surpass SWTOR that SWTOR isn't in any way a make or break product for them, not like W0W is to Blizzard. SWTOR is a novelty game, not worthy of much reinvestment, not their money maker like W0W.

I think the decisions they made to make the starfighter and the strongholds content was a mistake. For the amount of man hours that they wasted in developing those two products could have been spent making actual content that most people would play.

I think the decisions they made to make the starfighter and the strongholds content was a mistake. For the amount of man hours that they wasted in developing those two products could have been spent making actual content that most people would play.

While I agree with you on the Strongholds comment, I don't on the Starfighter. Many of us truly enjoy GSF, tho some balance issue's still need to be addressed.

Also keep in mind many people were asking for both types of gameplay, which was in SWG, so they kind of did put stuff in that people had actually been asking for.

Edited by Toraak

While I agree with you on the Strongholds comment, I don't on the Starfighter. Many of us truly enjoy GSF, tho some balance issue's still need to be addressed.

And, just to show that this game has a diverse player base with varied tastes/interests (shocking, I know) I think the Strongholds were a solid addition and good for the game overall, but I can somewhat agree that GSF wound up being a misstep (or more accurately it was gamble worth taking that just didn't pan out).

Edited by DarthDymond

The real question for me is how they had so much time to work on it, yet delivered such a superficial product. Relying on previously released Forged Alliances to make up 2 levels of content, unpolished feel, lack of significantly different faction stories

two comments:

#1 Since release of the first operations (EV & KP), it has been two sides fighting the same enemies for different reasons. In FA & SOR, that dynamic has carried over into non-end game content. Not good, not bad, just different.

#2 IMO the reason #1 happened was to allow for the small class story lines. Even as small as those story lines are, there are eight of them. That takes significant resources. And it is obvious now that EA is unwilling/unable to "throw more resources" at SWTOR. So BW has to make due.

So the question is - based on the idea of FIXED resources - which would the populous rather have:

a) more planetary story content in the form of two faction stories and grander scale

b) planetary content similar to SOR with small class stories added in

Based on the outcry since RotHC players want class stories. Well those resources have to come from somewhere.

Also keep in mind many people were asking for both types of gameplay, which was in SWG, so they kind of did put stuff in that people had actually been asking for.

And, just to show that this game has a diverse player base with varied tastes/interests (shocking, I know) I think the Strongholds were a solid addition and good for the game overall, but I can somewhat agree that GSF wound up being a misstep (or more accurately it was gamble worth taking that just didn't pan out).

And I fall somewhere in between you two: I think both were solid steps to bring in niche markets. Personally, I use GSH more than GSF for a while, but GSF to me is just like ground based PvP - something I do when I feel like it. OTOH, GSH is the new fleet - my characters sit in a stronghold doing crew skills until I want to play them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.