Question for Parents, or anyone on how to use chat safeguards?

tortcat

I am at work, mom here I play hubby does not but my oldest daughter ( pre-teen) has expressed an interest in playing.

I have played since beta and to be frank..I...don;t remember how to set or even what if any in-game chat safeguards there are.

For now I have created an account or charecter under my account for my daughter to try but I'm a little concerned about ingame chat. I seem to recall there are some filters you cna turn on or off to hide profanity etc.? I turned all of mine off some years ago as , well guild chat was getting edited too much lol.

I am at work right now but when I was looking a bit alst night I could not figure how how to..re-enable a chat safety protocol...( if that is making sense).

Anyhow..any tips on that OR any tips if you are a parent who does allow your younger pre-teen to play I would appreciate it.

Like not sure if I should create a F2P acct for her and convert it later etc.

Thanks kindly!!!

I have an account for my daughter (f2p - upgraded to premium). I turned off chat (not that she really paid attention to it), and set all invites to auto-deny. I only let her play Republic side since some of the Empire stuff can be a bit gruesome. Now I just have to figure out how to stop her from playing PvP - she's going on 10 and stinks!:p Edited by TravelersWay

Well... PreTeens are actually not allowed to have accounts... probably for this exact reason..

Unfortunately, while you can re-enable the profanity filter (it is set by character by the way), and disable general chat (right click on the chat tab, and uncheck the general channel)... but thats about it. Neither are fool proof... kids are good with computers now-a-days... and its not very hard to re-enable them.

My recommendation would be... sign up for the security key, and download the mobile app. Don't let your daughter play unless you, or your husband are home... and check over her shoulder quite a bit.

ahhh yes....thanks to both of you. I will check this when home..I was looking in the wrong spot(s).

Hmmm and didnt think about PVP...that can be a bit more...adult, then pve sometimes.

The autodeny one Ill have to do also.

Thanks for the tips.

Well... PreTeens are actually not allowed to have accounts... probably for this exact reason..

Unfortunately, while you can re-enable the profanity filter (it is set by character by the way), and disable general chat (right click on the chat tab, and uncheck the general channel)... but thats about it. Neither are fool proof... kids are good with computers now-a-days... and its not very hard to re-enable them.

My recommendation would be... sign up for the security key, and download the mobile app. Don't let your daughter play unless you, or your husband are home... and check over her shoulder quite a bit.

And yes. we use the key already and any comp access is always overseen. Even on their kindles. I just couldnt remember where to turn the gen chat off...at least until we get a better sense of how she does int he game.

Thank you kindly !

Two things:

1) The chat filter can be enabled in settings but can be disabled just as easily. There is no way to lock it.

2) The game has an ESRB rating of "Teen" so you may want to seriously reconsider letting a child under 13 play it.

Children all mature differently, but the rating is there as a general guideline to provide a point of reference.

Two things:

1) The chat filter can be enabled in settings but can be disabled just as easily. There is no way to lock it.

2) The game has an ESRB rating of "Teen" so you may want to seriously reconsider letting a child under 13 play it.

Children all mature differently, but the rating is there as a general guideline to provide a point of reference.

absolutely agree and thank you for your comment.

I am at work, mom here I play hubby does not but my oldest daughter ( pre-teen) has expressed an interest in playing.

I have played since beta and to be frank..I...don;t remember how to set or even what if any in-game chat safeguards there are.

For now I have created an account or charecter under my account for my daughter to try but I'm a little concerned about ingame chat. I seem to recall there are some filters you cna turn on or off to hide profanity etc.? I turned all of mine off some years ago as , well guild chat was getting edited too much lol.

I am at work right now but when I was looking a bit alst night I could not figure how how to..re-enable a chat safety protocol...( if that is making sense).

Anyhow..any tips on that OR any tips if you are a parent who does allow your younger pre-teen to play I would appreciate it.

Like not sure if I should create a F2P acct for her and convert it later etc.

Thanks kindly!!!

In my opinion, if your pre-teen daughter wants to play, that is fine...

I believe this should ONLY happen if you are physically present. There are no amount of safeguards that will be enough if she can play without adult supervision.

My oldest daughter (who'll be 14 this year) has been playing for a couple of years now. Personally....all I've done is turn on the profanity filter and taught her how to spot online "weirdos and predators". I feel it's in her best interest to not try and hide her from it, but to make sure she's prepared to deal with it. My motto is "if you stay ready, you ain't got to get ready"

She's ready....and she's gotten really good with the "ignore and report" features too lol

In my opinion, if your pre-teen daughter wants to play, that is fine...

I believe this should ONLY happen if you are physically present. There are no amount of safeguards that will be enough if she can play without adult supervision.

^^^ As a father of 2, I agree with this. When they're online, YOU are online.

How much oversight a child needs on the Internet is highly child dependent, and a balancing act on top of that.

On the one hand, you don't want to shelter a child to the point of utter ignorance, this is doing them no favours.

On the other hand, they are still children, they are immature, its only natural for them to make immature decisions.

I'm 23, so my child years were spent outside the confines of the internet (dial up internet helped a lot with this :) ), and even when I was exposed to questionable content, I was already mature enough to handle it. Other kids my age however, clearly were not (many STILL aren't for that matter...)

General advice I'd give about kids on the internet, always err on the side of caution, and don't be hoodwinked by an innocent face. I've lost track of the number of times I've heard a parent go "my little Johnny couldn't have done that!" kids are immature, not stupid, which I feel is an important distinction. Watch browsing history (unfortunately I don't think swtor has much in the way of logging features), monitor e-mail and texts (at least until they are in their teen years and more responsible (hopefully)).

I say this in general since the OP does appear to be going about this in a responsible manner, but I feel its important to remind parents from someone who was a kid until quite recently and possesses a very sharp memory. The Internet is a world in of itself, and it is anarchy. Incredibly useful, but anarchy nonetheless.

Two things:

Its also important to note they put 'Online content not rated' for a reason.

My oldest daughter (who'll be 14 this year) has been playing for a couple of years now. Personally....all I've done is turn on the profanity filter and taught her how to spot online "weirdos and predators". I feel it's in her best interest to not try and hide her from it, but to make sure she's prepared to deal with it. My motto is "if you stay ready, you ain't got to get ready"

She's ready....and she's gotten really good with the "ignore and report" features too lol

That is the best approach and good on you for taking that middle road. They need to learn to spot these weird peple, or even people that are just trolling. It's much safer to learn from inside a game than learn in real life. This is a huge life lesson that some parents try to avoid altogether or put off way too long. It's a fact that it is unavoidable, so having your child learn from a safer environment is key. This specific environment in SWTOR allows for multiple actions to handle someone they don't want to bother them. Block, report, turn off profanity, etc.

I will say the game rating is there for a reason, though. I wouldn't let them play this game until their age matched the rating. Then I would do as ImmortalLowLife has done. Wow what a name of a sensible person. LOL

Edited by undiess

That is the best approach and good on you for taking that middle road. They need to learn to spot these weird peple, or even people that are just trolling. It's much safer to learn from inside a game than learn in real life. This is a huge life lesson that some parents try to avoid altogether or put off way too long. It's a fact that it is unavoidable, so having your child learn from a safer environment is key. This specific environment in SWTOR allows for multiple actions to handle someone they don't want to bother them. Block, report, turn off profanity, etc.

I will say the game rating is there for a reason, though. I wouldn't let them play this game until their age matched the rating. Then I would do as ImmortalLowLife has done. Wow what a name of a sensible person. LOL

I lol'd for real at this! Thanks tho... :D and there is a story/meaning behind the name. ;)

While you may have no problem letting your young children experience scenes like beheadings and torturings, I prefer not to let my children experience that until a more appropriate age.

The Republic side isn't all ponies and rainbows either. Belsavis is a great example. And the first part of the Trooper storyline.

You're tracking down traitors, who used to be your allies. And then one of the big choices: Do you recover and arrest one of these traitors, or let him burn to death while chasing down the guy who was using that traitor's skills to blow up cities. Choices, and you can't have both. That's the Trooper, Chapter one.

Not saying you're wrong or anything, just that both sides have their "good" guys and "bad guys".

There is a Republic Ambassador who is willing to space a bunch of engineers, and the player has the option later to let that person be captured or not. That may be a Flashpoint, but Good is Not Always Nice.

And playing Light Sided choices on the Empire side, you can still be a very nice person, and good.

And I think my Jedi Knight has lopped off a few heads.

I personally really caution parents with children wanting to play to look over exactly why this game is rated T for Teens on the ERSB website, or your government's/country's equivalent.

I'm not saying that your kid is not ready for this game, but I am saying that games are rated the way they are for a reason. At least you sound like one of the decent parents who actually considers what games your child plays, instead of just going " video games are for kids" and ignoring the rating systems.

Unfortunately, there aren't any safeguards for children. You can disable chat, keep the profanity filter on, but the game itself has material not intended for children.

And to keep squeaky-clean with the ToS, your kid should be at least 13 when the account is made.

On the plus side, all decapitated heads are only every seen as a closed up bag. And I don't think I've seen any decapitations on-screen. Sith Warrior executions tens to be a generic slash across the chest and the enemy just... Falls over.

I may be a little more loosey goosey but I don't see how shutting your kid off from the world is the best bet. Either don't let them play until they are, in your opinion, old enough to handle the stuff coming their way or just sit down and talk with your kid about some of the BS they may encounter. There are no safe guards that can be enabled that your child can't just unlock if you are away, so you'll need to be there 90% of the time if you don't wish your child to be "exposed" to the harshness that is the interweb.

Personally your kid is going to come in contact with the big bad interweb at some point, whether through Twitter, facebook, youtube or what have you and if they haven't already you are probably coddling your kid but that's none of my business. SWTOR is hardly going to scar or damage your kid so you may as well just teach your child about the crap they may or may not even see on the interwebs. But like I said already it's really none of my business and I probably should have kept my opinion to myself.

Realistically everything you can do, can easily be undone by your child. So if you wish to let your kid play you'll likely have to back seat game anyway, may as well teach your kid while you do it, that way you don't need safe guards and your child can be educated on what they should and shouldn't be doing on the internet. But what do I know? I am just some random stranger on a Star Wars MMO forum. :rak_03:

I haven't read all the replies so I don't know if anyone has suggested it, but another trick you could use is to toggle the chat panel down for kid's account when logging them in and then manipulate the interface editor so that the mini-map covers chat pane in case they switch toons briefly before you realised it. It's not exactly a solution as much as a trick like I said, but it is an additional layer of oversight. Also, another tip is to make sure your kids only access the game from like your living room or den (I.e. a high traffic area in your home) and not in bedrooms. Personally we have a open-floor layout to our kitchen and living area and that's where our computers are located with screens all visible

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.