Newbie on swtor

RickyMarino

Hi everyone!

I'm new on mmorpg and I need some advices. I'm playing a sith assassin on Progenitor. I picked the tanking spec and I like it very much but it's quite challenging as first experience. I red many posts bout gearing and rotations, but still have some questions.

I'm equipping Endurance gearing, as I'm tank and I'm at 20th level. What about higher levels? Is it better to continue on Endurance, or change for Willpower? I'm looking for the best gear to gain the maximum on shield chance, defense and absorption, do you have any advice about that? Where can I find the best vendors and best gear?

I'm working on my rotation and have some problems because all the guides I find are set for previous game updates, and some things have changes (from a newbie point of view ;) ). I don't worry about dying in difficult missions like heroic areas, but I played with another sin of my same lvl and she had clearly a better survivability. Can someone give me some advice?

Last but not least: the companion. I know the best for a tank is a healer, but it takes so long for gaining one. For now I can use the ship droid, or Khem Val which is not a healer. Which one should I pick?

Thanks a lot :)

Hi everyone!

I'm new on mmorpg and I need some advices. I'm playing a sith assassin on Progenitor. I picked the tanking spec and I like it very much but it's quite challenging as first experience. I red many posts bout gearing and rotations, but still have some questions.

I'm equipping Endurance gearing, as I'm tank and I'm at 20th level. What about higher levels? Is it better to continue on Endurance, or change for Willpower? I'm looking for the best gear to gain the maximum on shield chance, defense and absorption, do you have any advice about that? Where can I find the best vendors and best gear?

I'm working on my rotation and have some problems because all the guides I find are set for previous game updates, and some things have changes (from a newbie point of view ;) ). I don't worry about dying in difficult missions like heroic areas, but I played with another sin of my same lvl and she had clearly a better survivability. Can someone give me some advice?

Last but not least: the companion. I know the best for a tank is a healer, but it takes so long for gaining one. For now I can use the ship droid, or Khem Val which is not a healer. Which one should I pick?

Welcome to the Game!

To answer some of your questions, you will want to go with the higher endurance stats moreso than Willpower for tanking. For example, you will want to use the Armorings/Hilts that are called "Force Wielder" instead of the "Resolve" ones. As for mods and enhancements, you will want the ones that give defense, shield, and absorb but finding mods with those stats at lower levels can be difficult. Just do the best you can to get them ASAP.

Good luck!

Hi everyone!

Like the post above me said, you'll always value Endurance over Willpower, so never trade the former for the latter. In addition to this, you won't be finding almost any tanking gear until you hit roughly level 30, at which point the flashpoints of appropriate level start dropping tank gear and you can find some on the planetary vendors (e.g. Taris, Quesh, etc.).

As for your survivability, the best you can do at lower levels is just make sure you never let your Dark Ward buff expire. Ever. Ever ever. Aside from that, though, all you can do until level 44 is make sure you debuff as many enemies as you can with Discharge and Wither (which you don't get until 26). Keep your armorings fairly up to date, as they affect your damage reduction, and stack as much endurance as you can until tank stats become available.

For your companion, you're simply better off using Khem, as your ship droid is largely useless as a healer, and it sucks that you have to wait a long time for a healer companion, but it is what it is. Khem will at least be able to take some hits and deal some damage for you, and you can put him in DPS stance if you really want to not compete with him at tanking.

Welcome to the Game!

For example, you will want to use the Armorings/Hilts that are called "Force Wielder" instead of the "Resolve" ones. As for mods and enhancements, you will want the ones that give defense, shield, and absorb but finding mods with those stats at lower levels can be difficult. Just do the best you can to get them ASAP.

Good luck!

Thank you so much UrbanSaint! That's exactly what I wanted to know: I just can't find mods or enhancements that give defense, shield and absorb at the moment.

Like the post above me said, you'll always value Endurance over Willpower, so never trade the former for the latter. In addition to this, you won't be finding almost any tanking gear until you hit roughly level 30, at which point the flashpoints of appropriate level start dropping tank gear and you can find some on the planetary vendors (e.g. Taris, Quesh, etc.).

As for your survivability, the best you can do at lower levels is just make sure you never let your Dark Ward buff expire. Ever. Ever ever. Aside from that, though, all you can do until level 44 is make sure you debuff as many enemies as you can with Discharge and Wither (which you don't get until 26). Keep your armorings fairly up to date, as they affect your damage reduction, and stack as much endurance as you can until tank stats become available.

For your companion, you're simply better off using Khem, as your ship droid is largely useless as a healer, and it sucks that you have to wait a long time for a healer companion, but it is what it is. Khem will at least be able to take some hits and deal some damage for you, and you can put him in DPS stance if you really want to not compete with him at tanking.

Thanks Aelanis, infacts I red about some changes from endurance to willpower in upper levels that sound strange. I got it about dark ward and discharge, thank you.

What about Khem's gear, I used to give him the good drops of heavy armors, or is it better to give him the rewards of quests? I don't like to give him those rewards as I prefer take commendations. Do you agree?

Thanks a lot!

Thank you so much UrbanSaint! That's exactly what I wanted to know: I just can't find mods or enhancements that give defense, shield and absorb at the moment.

Thanks Aelanis, infacts I red about some changes from endurance to willpower in upper levels that sound strange. I got it about dark ward and discharge, thank you.

What about Khem's gear, I used to give him the good drops of heavy armors, or is it better to give him the rewards of quests? I don't like to give him those rewards as I prefer take commendations. Do you agree?

Thanks a lot!

Khem's gear makes much less a difference in your survival, so I would stick to grabbing the commendations as mission rewards and just giving Khem stuff that drops off of enemies and such.

As an assassin tank you will want the defensive stats in a priority of

Shield/Absorption Rating (About even percentages but once you reach 55% Absorb chance, start going absorbtion rating fully) >> Defense Rating (I personally AVOID this stat in favor of DPS stats such as Willpower and Power) >> Endurance >> All other stats

You may think Endurance is needed as a higher priority but it really isn't. If your doing your job right your absorbs will minimize the damage you take and your threat will keep enemies attacking you.

Keep Dark Charge on all the time

Keep Dark Ward up at all times (Starting at lvl 32 use it only as it fades away as you get Dark Bulwark then, which gives you 1% absorption rating stacking up to 8 times until you cast Dark Ward again

Use Discharge whenever available,

Use Wither and Shock whenever available to give Harnessed Darkness stacks,

At 3 Harnessed Darkness Stacks use Force Lightning (Depredating Volts at later levels)

Thrash away untill you get energize procs which bring your Shock off cooldown

Throw in Lacerate when 4+ enemies are in melee range

Try to keep mind control available incase any enemies wander off

I think I got all the basics here.

Edited by Nymmie

As an assassin tank you will want the defensive stats in a priority of

Shield/Absorption Rating (About even percentages but once you reach 55% Absorb chance, start going absorbtion rating fully) >> Defense Rating (I personally AVOID this stat in favor of DPS stats such as Willpower and Power) >> Endurance >> All other stats

You may think Endurance is needed as a higher priority but it really isn't. If your doing your job right your absorbs will minimize the damage you take and your threat will keep enemies attacking you.

Keep Dark Charge on all the time

Keep Dark Ward up at all times (Starting at lvl 32 use it only as it fades away as you get Dark Bulwark then, which gives you 1% absorption rating stacking up to 8 times until you cast Dark Ward again

Use Discharge whenever available,

Use Wither and Shock whenever available to give Harnessed Darkness stacks,

At 3 Harnessed Darkness Stacks use Force Lightning (Depredating Volts at later levels)

Thrash away untill you get energize procs which bring your Shock off cooldown

Throw in Lacerate when 4+ enemies are in melee range

Try to keep mind control available incase any enemies wander off

I think I got all the basics here.

I totally agree about the priority of absorb and damage reduction on endurance, but first I need to find gear that hallows me to have good damage reduction. That is the point we're discussing with the others, infacts I'm just at 20th lvl and I haven't absorb percentages that hallow me to do what you suggest (I suppose I have at least 20% of shield rating). By the way your suggestion is my objective! Thank you!

Always considering my lvl I care about having dark ward up until the 15 stacks end and make a huge use of discharge, but at the moment these are my tools: I don't have harnessed darkness, dark bulwark and wither yet.

Thank you so much :)

Sadly, you won't find enhancements with defense stats until level 17 or so, and mods with them don't come until 30-ish (31 or 33, I forget). Earrings and implants start having them in the 20's, though it may take "re-ing" for the purple schem for it. If you have the crew skill (artifice for enhancements, cybertech for armos/mods/ears, biochem for implants) you can get a jump on getting these by :re-ing" to the purple schem. Saves you some basic coms that way. You will get the mods/enh with def stats on quicker if you can make them, as the planetary com vendors take longer to supply them.

Playing as a tank spec, you really don't need a healer, you need dps. So for now, put Khem in dps mode until you get Andronikos Revel (ranged dps) or Ashara Zavros (melee dps). Use drops to equip them for now, unless the alternative to comms is a purple for them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.