Lightning vs Madness levelling

Aserzka

Hey, I'm pretty new to the game was wondering if lightning or madness is better while levelling. I'm level 41 and my lightning sorc feels like a glass canon, I usually shield both me and Khem before entering combat but theres always a few stray mobs that seem to reck my face in.

Is madness any different?

Madness heals you from your DOTS and Force in Balance. Plus if you can spec into all the increase of healing options it makes leveling easier. Not sure which companion you have, but use tank for the most part. If I remember correctly, most fights don't last that long that you need to make sure Qyzen stays alive.

Last note, use your heroic moment and unity (if you have unity have to be Light V). It helps in a bind trust me.

Well, while madness keeps you well healed and ready to go, it's mostly a single-target spec, only DF hits multiple targets. Therefore I found that it's considerably slower in levelling compared to lightning.

I've never encountered any serious issues in levelling as lightning or as hybrid in the old days. Of course you're ALWAYS bubbled as sorcerer, preferrably with healing ability on bubble.

Fighting against group of npc like following: force storm (slow + stun on weak/normal mobs), at proc chain lightning, mobs dead. Only fighting elite / strong mobs you need to use other abilities.

No other class has such good AE potential including stun and slow on hostiles, no cooldown on the AE, means you can cast it nonstop (very low mana consumation) and it procs an even stronger AE. You are normally MUCH faster clearing the path to the final destination. I still notice that I clear yavin 4 dailies a LOT faster on my sorc in lightning spec than with my operative or warrior.

Fighting against boss mobs is of course easier with madness, but perfectly doable with llightning, and overall you should be way faster. I burst through Yavin 4 on lvl 60 a lot faster than on madness spec, and I've stopped using Khem Val (or any other tank) when I first got ashara. You don't really need a tank against low mobs, and you're much faster using additional DPS, when in question I'd rather use Boneface, who can tank somewhat while still applying dps.

For hard fight you might use a tank, though I preferred a healer while going max-dps myself.

Edit: In fights against boss mobs, remember to use LOS against ranged enemies, and kite melees.

Edited by neijas
mental weakness (sleep deprivation)

In brief with madness is easier to survive encounters but it takes longer to finish. Ling is in low levels less mobile and although it has a faster time-to-kill it also has a higher risk of dying.

My advice is to try madness as IMO it is more clear and teaches how a sorc should be played in general (at least in pvp or in the absence of a healer partner like in ops and flashpoints). That is using kiting and los actively and to your advantage, especially with bosses etc. That is basically throw your one or two dots, a fib, if you have time a force lightning and crushing darkness with wrath proc and then hide behind a pillar healing if need so... your dots will do their job while you are at no risk.

Edited by MusicRider

I concur with the above. I was quite surprised at how easy it was to use Ashara instead of Khem. I am playing lightside sith sorceress and I ~hate~ Khem with a passion. And he hates everything I say or do. With Ashara, though, I've been breezing through content. I have pulled out Khem when I knew I was going to be in one of those surprise insta-fights where they start you in melee range of gold foes.... but for the most part, he can sit on the ship and sulk for all I care. :)

EDIT: Last night I played my Balance Sage (the equivalent of the Madness Sorcerer) and it was MUCH more difficult than Lightning. Part of that could be being undergeared or fighting the worst foes (Gamorean LTs who love to melee) or me just not being as familiar with the benefits and strategies of the Discipline. I'm going to give it some more time before I swap to TK (Lightning), though.

Edited by Sorpaijen

I started off as a corruption healer and played all to lvl 55 as such when the max was still 55 but i would not reccommend it because it is slow and tedious. However I will say since I started my new sorc I prefer madness much much more than lightning to level. I find the gearing to be simple and the rotation is fun to learn you are by far more mobile than lightning and you keep yourself healed in fights much easier than lightning and with you getting to your chapter 3 end it is the way i would reccomend you go. I will not ruin chapter 3 end for you you are just going to have to find out on your own.

I just noticed that, caused apparently by sleep deprivation induced mental incapacitation, I wrote force lightning instead of force storm as intended. I hope it was clear what I was talking about. I corrected the original posting.

EDIT: Last night I played my Balance Sage (the equivalent of the Madness Sorcerer) and it was MUCH more difficult than Lightning. Part of that could be being undergeared or fighting the worst foes (Gamorean LTs who love to melee) or me just not being as familiar with the benefits and strategies of the Discipline. I'm going to give it some more time before I swap to TK (Lightning), though.

That's probably cause you are trying to face tank mobs like you could do in telekinetics... Basically, think of telekinetics as a dps race (like a sprint race) while balance being a survivability race (like a marathon).

Once you got that increased crit in force storm, you'll just force storm till lvl 60 and beyond and ultimately till Bioware decides to nerf it some day. I'd go with lightning leveling.

That is definitely true. The down side is that you don't learn how to play the class both in general and specifically in terms of the different specs. With a potential nerf to force storm in the future someone doing so will end up being at level 60 with the knowledge of a level 10.

That's probably cause you are trying to face tank mobs like you could do in telekinetics... Basically, think of telekinetics as a dps race (like a sprint race) while balance being a survivability race (like a marathon).

Very likely the case. I've always been too impatient for DoTs to work. I actually swapped to Telekinesis last night and had a blast; swapped in Zenith and just obliterated everything. Same as my Lightning Sorcerer in playstyle (just different animations) but hey, fun's fun, and I see no point in making myself suffer just to 'experience' another playstyle that clearly doesn't suit me. :)

As to learning the class, it's true that just spamming force storm won't make you learn the class, but I'd like to state that in PvE, especially levelling you'll never learn the real tricks of the trade.

How to play your class you'll learn in the difficult fights at the end of the quest, during flashpoints or operations a little bit, but I usually consult starting with PvP as early as possible and do a considerable amount of your "youth" levelling by doing warzones.

Also I'd like to add that lightning is by far not as stationary as it used to be, nor as a DPS race anymore. The original author also stated he's lvl 42, so he's already gained lightning storm, subversion and convection for many instant casts of lightning bolt and chain lightning. Until lvl 51 he'll be forced to stand still to cast thundering blast and force storm, but otherwise he can be on the move relatively often. Once you reach lvl 51 in pvp you only stand still to cast force storm or an occasional hard cast when the enemy team absolutely ignores you and force storm is not valid (is it ever?)

Lightning becomes superior once you learn Force Storm, spec Tempest Mastery, learn Chain Lightning with Chain Lightning insta-proc and acquire it's AoE debuff.

From there, LoS pull (with you or your companion) around a corner + force bubble yourself + Force Storm to proc insta Chain Lightning + stop Force Storm prematurely to cast Chain Lightning + resume Force Storm with AoE debuff (with Recklessness buff) + rinse/repeat.

For mass kills, which companion pet you pick doesn't matter. Ideal would be tank pet to hold everything in place. If companion takes damage, mount then dismount to reset their cooldowns and heal to full leaving little downtime.

Edited by Ardusnyc

Wouldn't say heal leveling is slow. Maybe slower. And of course I am running with 400 bonus presence. But at level 18 I soloed the H4 friends of old on dromund kaas with ease. Shield pet. Send him after group of 3 elites. Wait a few seconds. Then force storm spam. They all die and khem is still at 50 percent. Re bubble or heal as needed. And khem and I are in quest greens. Not comm gear.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.