The Outfit **Designer**

DarthDymond

We've only had it teased, but in Bruce Maclean's letter at the PAX Cantina Tour, he referred to April's upcoming feature as an "Outfit Designer".

A lot of people on the forum have theorized it will be a costume/wardrobe function that simply separates out stats from appearance (like GW2 or CoH) or even one that, for all intents and purposes, just replaces the Credit costs of swapping mods with a CC cost to change the look.

But the word "Designer" sounded to me like it might be significantly more robust than that, particularly since it parallels the name "Appearance Designer" that they gave the Character Customization feature.

Massively's Hyperspace Beacon article this week posits the same thing:

"[W]hat I think -- hope -- we are looking at is an actual costume designer. It will give you a base model armor, and you are allowed to create your own additions. For instance, maybe you like the Darth Marr type armor [...] but you don't like the spiky shoulders. Done. Spiky shoulders are gone. Want the hood up? Boom."

I certainly hope that this article and my own hunch end up being correct - after all, they know some members of the community have been clamoring for a hood toggle since launch, they've moved away from re-skins in the latest Pack Shipment, and they already have a basic framework with the Appearance Designer for how to monetize it, 15 CCs to add/remove spikes, 40 CCs to change a tertiary or quaternary color, etc. (I absolutely do think the feature will involve CCs, but I know for me that just means I know what to spend my monthly stipend on.)

...Now cue someone saying this would mean: "OMG, BW's finally putting in a hood toggle, and they're going to charge CCs every time you toggle a hood! LOL!"

Edited by DarthDymond

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[W]hat I think -- hope -- we are looking at is an actual costume designer. It will give you a base model armor, and you are allowed to create your own additions. For instance, maybe you like the Darth Marr type armor [...] but you don't like the spiky shoulders. Done. Spiky shoulders are gone. Want the hood up? Boom.

^^ I somehow doubt it. Too good to be true.

How I wouldn't love to get rid of overly silly shoulder pads in some chest pieces.

Again, way too good to be true.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Said it before in another thread, will say it here again... if they couldnt even get hide hood to work after 3 years do you honestly think they will be able to make it so you can remove dingles, dangles, and doodads from already existing pieces at your whim?

I have a feeling you are going to be severely dissapointed in those hopes... :(

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Said it before in another thread, will say it here again... if they couldnt even get hide hood to work after 3 years do you honestly think they will be able to make it so you can remove dingles, dangles, and doodads from already existing pieces at your whim?

"They couldn't get [X] to work" is actually what had me first thinking along these lines - they couldn't let us customize/decorate our starships due to technical limitations (scripted conversations in that case, I believe), so instead they gave us Strongholds. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a similar track with this (especially since in both cases it would be monetized).

I don't think this will give us a hood toggle we can use on the fly, but the game has versions of plenty of armors that have both hood up and hood down iterations, and if this 'designer' lets you build-a-bear your own version of existing sets, that seems like an option it would have.

Edited by DarthDymond

Agreed. Expect to be able to change colors (for a price)...and that's all I'd 'expect'.

I was thinking more along the lines we just ADD existing costumes or gear to a separate TAB for each (Helm, chest, etc) and the appearance is based on that item and not the gear holding the Armor/Mod/Enh.

This would maximize the CM profits and get more people buying those outfits now they can be used more. DEFAULT would be whatever the gear looks like, but CC unlock would let you show the outfit as seen in the Appearance tab.

I'd love to pass ugly Legacy Gear around and use my favorite gear on specific toons. Like SAGE having the dark brown hood & robe combo while my SORC has a narly Supreme Inquisitor outfit. (Gear remains same, outfit no)

Those seeking eye candy of course the next to nothing bikini outfit for lady toons and the inviso outfits for male toons.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7994886

And I'll say it before in another thread and I'll say it again. It doesn't matter what happened in the past, it only matters what happens here and now and in the near future. Perhaps they got their stuff together working on it and hood toggle will come in outfit designer. Perhaps they have worked a lot of the issues out to where we can put things on our armor or remove certain things.

It can go both ways.

Agreed. Expect to be able to change colors (for a price)...and that's all I'd 'expect'.

That should be obvious really.

If they nickel and dime you for a haircut, they'll nickel and dime you even further for this.

As I said earlier, provided it is something akin to what DarthDymond said above, I'd go for it but again, it just sounds incredibly outlandish from the likes of Bioware. Color me surprised if they manage it though.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

It is highly likely they will screw it up somehow. I expect, short of not releasing it at all, that ANY expectations with respect to this system will prove a disappointment.

One can simply assume that they lack any concept of how to properly add any mechanic to the game without it being broken, breaking the economy, or being a market item.

I am astounded at the level of foolishness they have demonstrated lately, especially with this expansion, and expect that this system will prove the same.

The only way to avoid disappointment lately it seems is to expect the worst. That seems to be the only way they are consistent.

Edited by LordArtemis

My fear is that this will be nothing more than a cheap way for them to double dip the CM...making sure you own the item first, then charging you to unlock it as an "outfit". In fact, it's more of a prediction than a fear...they don't want your stockpiled armor sets, they'll create a way to invalidate everything you currently have...unless of course you pay the CC's to convert the items...

I doubt it...

It'll be some mundane feature with a fancy name, is all...

I'll wait for it to go live, and its just a page where you can drop armor to have displayed as an override, then giggle when the forums explode with posts complaining that the name mislead them and they were unable to design each piece of armor exactly the way they wanted ^_~

Just because we all know how Bioware likes to be ultra vague and leave pertinant info out :p

Im also expecting all kinds of hilarious bugs, maybe all you guys will get the Vector bug and start wearing bras... :D

Edited by XiamaraSimi

I'll wait for it to go live, and its just a page where you can drop armor to have displayed as an override, then guggle when the forums explode with posts complaining that the name mislead them and they were unable to design each piece of armor exactly the way they wanted ^_~

Just because we all know how Bioware likes to be ultra vague and leave pertinant info out :p

They're still finalizing the details, namely if they'll allow players to have the hood down, lest they haven't trolled the all mighty Alec_Fortescue enough over the last few years -- the self-proclaimed dean of all traditional Jedi robes.

:rak_03:

I expect something more along the lines of what I've seeing in DDO/LOTRO, you have an armor look you can apply to whatever you're wearing.

I can even see it now, you can (for a price in CC of course) have any armor you own have the look of an armor set you have unlocked in your collection.

Basically you only save the credits from puling those mods out and using your unlocked armors pieces, the other reason I think it will be something like that is the 192 armor for companions.

It would allow to customize these armors, which many would gladly spend CC to do.

The OP's hope would be pretty neat, but the application would be pretty complex.

On the other hand they did say they wanted more grade 11 mats available to players, maybe it's so they can design their own armors sets. Make blank armor available for CC then "accessories" on it craftable with schematics sold and/or dropped.

If it were true however... I'd pay for it.

Whore me out, Bioware. My body and mind are willing. Rakata's War Leader armor set without silly shoulder pads would be a reality. :D

LOL - same here.

I doubt it will be so robust as to actually let you change the appearance of the armor design (i.e. taking off shoulder pads, backpacks, etc.), but, if it does, that is actually reasonable to charge CCs on.

There may be some hope, though: NPCs all over the game often use the same chest piece or armor set, but with various levels of the original game's "visiual progression" implemented. Sometimes these characters have huge shoulder pads, metallic parts, etc., both others don't.

The developer's may have access to a toolkit that allows them to customize how the armor is changed, and perhaps, like what we saw in GSH and environmental design, they will be giving players a watered-down version and charge some CCs to use it, as part of the Costume Designer.

Hopeful thinking, but maybe possible. I'd be happy to just have a tab to put gear into that doesn't affect stats, though I hope they aren't charging CCs each time a player wants to switch an armor set. That doesn't seem fair to me, especially if you already subscribe to SWTOR.

Edited by arunav

One thing is certain, If they allow to remove the bloody "Lego" piece on the back of trooper armor I would spend tons in CC...

Some of the coolest looking trooper armors are ruined by the giant antenna/backpack/radio/lunch box thingy they insist on adding in the back of them.

Hood toggle is an animation issue + technical issue. Customizing armor so you can add/remove doodads is frankly already how they do it. Their armor system is highly modular, pay attention to it sometime. You'll recognize pieces, base pieces, and components.

One thing is certain, If they allow to remove the bloody "Lego" piece on the back of trooper armor I would spend tons in CC...

Some of the coolest looking trooper armors are ruined by the giant antenna/backpack/radio/lunch box thingy they insist on adding in the back of them.

^^^^^T H I S^^^^^^

It's like they get it freaking perfect...and then they add the massive Lego backpack or the Indian headdress looking shoulder pads, or some tank and hose or an ascot...good God they can ruin things.

You would have to think about the pre-work involved in something like that. Each piece that can be removed would have to be made in a separate model and each hole that would be created filled with something that wouldn't clip. And they would have to do that for every new item(or all past items if it were to apply to current armors). It is possible because outfits are already build in pieces. However, It doesn't seem likely they would have the time to put to that when they already complain about enough time to do other things. Another thing against that is it cuts down on the number of variants they can try to sell you through cartel if they allowed you to remove pieces or mix match. Edited by Sorwen

Imo, they need to release their little overview blog posting on this subject ASAP, before speculation runs rampant and the feature they end up delivering is woefully short of what the playerbase has imagined it to be.

A case of hype building and the final product being utterly inferior to the hype.

You would have to think about the pre-work involved in something like that. Each piece that can be removed would have to be made in a separate model and each hole that would be created filled with something that wouldn't clip. And they would have to do that for every new item(or all past items if it were to apply to current armors). It doesn't seem likely they would have the time to put to that when they already complain about enough time to do other things. Another thing against that is it cuts down on the number of variants they can try to sell you through cartel if they allowed you to remove pieces or mix match.

Pay attention to the armor in-game. It's ALREADY modular. They reuse base armor plates, they reuse backpacks, they put different things on different pieces, swap textures but keep the model. It's already very modular. Ditto for world creation, highly modular. Just it is an external tool as opposed to an in-game tool.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.