Consumer Protection - Ontario, Canada

Bristol

So, because you are more accustomed to being told half-truths than I am, I deserve to be punished for expecting accurate communication between corporation and consumer?
i wasnt told a half-truth, i was told directly they were going to "take a look at it"

and i'm not sure how you were punished or what damages you suffered.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm very tired of virtual goods being a multi-billion dollar money maker and then it having such a downside to consumers because a game company wants to pull the rug out from under you after they have your money and it all boils do to their poor planning.

very well said!

Your post was quoted in its entirety, so I'm not sure what you are complaining about tin the first part.

To the second point, my response was not a repudiation of your claims that there are lawsuits filed, as clearly there are. It was just a further clarification on my side that I'm not seeing any filed for something at this level, which is clearly nowhere near the successful examples you cited.

My apologies if it was taken as an an insult. It wasn't intended that way.

No, I apologize...you are correct that you quoted in it's entirety. What I was seeing in the response window was not the whole post. I did not take it as an insult at all BTW. I tried to edit when I saw the actual post on the forum, but was too late. Just to be clear, I do not support or infer there is merit to any class action here. My belief is just that BW has acted irresponsibly and has demonstrated poor communication and customer service. Further, I believe that there is some potential liability on their part. As for me, I spent $40, got a slot machine and enough certificates to pick up a couple of items after reaching legend status. Fine...but I won't trust BW at this point with any additional money spent for cartel coins.

Your points are all facts that EA's lawyers would assert in the process of laying waste to any litigation over this. And I agree. It's not an issue of entitlement. It's an issue of that angry mob with their torches and pitchforks and whether EA wants to diffuse the situation.
bw is so stingy too on making things right...the training costs for abilities is one that really annoyed me.

bw seems very resistant to giving ANYTHING away.

#firstworldproblems

Seriously, get over it. This is just ridiculous.

You're right, we should all quit playing tomorrow and cancel our subs and give the money to the poor starving children.

Then we won't all be here to either complain or read about the complaints.

Would that make you happier? :)

---

Side note: You DO know that you're saying that customers who complain and are unhappy are ridiculous to voice their feelings and should just take it. So.. in your whole life, you will never, ever complain about poor service?

No, I apologize...you are correct that you quoted in it's entirety. What I was seeing in the response window was not the whole post. I did not take it as an insult at all BTW. I tried to edit when I saw the actual post on the forum, but was too late. Just to be clear, I do not support or infer there is merit to any class action here. My belief is just that BW has acted irresponsibly and has demonstrated poor communication and customer service. Further, I believe that there is some potential liability on their part. As for me, I spent $40, got a slot machine and enough certificates to pick up a couple of items after reaching legend status. Fine...but I won't trust BW at this point with any additional money spent for cartel coins.

Fair enough on all points.

Personally, I think they made a few mistakes here, but nothing to warrant the level of rage we've seen, and certainly not enough to warrant a lawsuit of any kind.

That said, I do agree they missed the boat on the communication side, which has only made the situation worse. Unfortunately its gotten to the point where there's really nothing they can say at this point that won't add fuel to the fire, so I expect nothing further to be said.

This will flame out eventually, and we'll never see another slot machine added again. (And probably a good deal fewer new interactive items as well.)

That said, I do agree they missed the boat on the communication side, which has only made the situation worse. Unfortunately its gotten to the point where there's really nothing they can say at this point that won't add fuel to the fire, so I expect nothing further to be said.

Don't be silly, there is totally something they can say:

"We're sorry we screwed up the initial slot machine, then overnerffed it into near uselessness. We are moving it towards a middle ground that we hope will be more reasonable for all concerned"

That would go a LONG way towards calming people down.

You're right, we should all quit playing tomorrow and cancel our subs and give the money to the poor starving children.

Then we won't all be here to either complain or read about the complaints.

Would that make you happier? :)

---

Side note: You DO know that you're saying that customers who complain and are unhappy are ridiculous to voice their feelings and should just take it. So.. in your whole life, you will never, ever complain about poor service?

if we can get the forums back for conversations other than slot machines...yes. If they upset you that much, please feel free to quit over it.

Say you purchased an adaptive armour set with cartel coins.

BW then decides there is no such thing as adaptive armour anymore, including all previously purchased armour. They switch the armour you are using to heavy and your toon can only use medium/light, which means you have to rip all armour/mods/enhancements/augments out and reapply them to a different armour set.

Technically this does not violate the ToS correct?

If they did this players would leave en mass. They would be shooting themselve in the foot, but no there is nothing procluding them from doing so.

And with rumors of the new designer tab dont be surprised if suddenly something similiar doesn't happen. Legacy transfers of mods may be a target.

Edited by chosonman

Your points are all facts that EA's lawyers would assert in the process of laying waste to any litigation over this. And I agree. It's not an issue of entitlement. It's an issue of that angry mob with their torches and pitchforks and whether EA wants to diffuse the situation.

I'd gladly testify in a court of law that I fully expected the Slot Machine to be nerfed, prior to it actually being nerfed. I'd gladly explain that with all the talk and response from Bioware that we knew a change was incoming and that if you spent time on this forum you'd know that there was doubt as to whether to drop rate was reasonable. (It wasn't.)

It's not Bioware's fault you bought virtual currency and then spent that virtual currency on a lottery ticket to potentially win a Credit Printing Press that was later adjusted.

"We're sorry we screwed up the initial slot machine, then overnerffed it into near uselessness. We are moving it towards a middle ground that we hope will be more reasonable for all concerned"

It would just enrage a different set of people who are happy with the nerf or tired of the whole situation. A whole new set of people would complain that they sold all their slot machines at a reduced value while Bioware dinked around with it, and so they got hosed and deserve a refund. Others would decry them spending time and effort on a useless cartel item when they should be fixing bugs. etc. etc.

After all, if one set of people can rage when they change direction initially, there's no reasons to expect another group wouldn't rage if they do so again. Which is exactly what would happen.

if we can get the forums back for conversations other than slot machines...yes. If they upset you that much, please feel free to quit over it.

And what would those conversations look like? One conversation around here is the same as any other, save for who's on what side, and what the MacGuffin is. Kind of like romantic comedies.

If they did this players would leave en mass. They would be shooting themselve in the foot, but no there is nothing procluding them from doing so.

And with rumors of the new designer tab dont be surprised if suddenly something similiar doesn't happen. Legacy transfers of mods may be a target.

which is basically what they did when they removed "adaptive classes" with disciplines (if you ask the 'wrong' people).

Game went f2p and they charged for the expansion (subs were expected to get free' updated" and obiiously and expansion is an update) so they complained about that bait and switch too.

#FirstWorldProblems

Agreed.

You should stop playing and send your money to something more important given your stance on the subject.

You're support of first world problems and all and even if you're already doing that, they could always use more.

Really? This thread is up to 170+ posts?

I'm all in favor of this forum being used to provide customer feedback, positive or negative, but there comes a point where you're beating a dead horse.

To each individual poster on the broader topic: You absolutely have the right to voice your opinion, be it for the first time or the hundred-and-first time on a subject, but at some point maybe for your own sake you should consider asking yourself "is this really worth the time / energy I'm sinking into it?"

Edited by DarthDymond

the most you can expect is cartel certs to be increased in odds; probably to a level still less than before

sorry, these machines should be candy, not game-breaking. it was the entire mission statement for the cartel market to begin with.

Lolololo I am sure Musco and Tait are laughing hard right now :D

Maybe... but a professional never laughs when his/her customers are unhappy.

He/she either decides to no longer do business with them for whatever reason, or does what needs to be done to turn them into happy customers.

Laughing is what children do, and I'd like to think they are more professional than children.

I'm all in favor of this forum being used to provide customer feedback, positive or negative, but there comes a point where you're beating a dead horse.

To each individual poster on the broader topic: You absolutely have the right to voice your opinion, be it for the first time or the hundred-and-first time on a subject, but at some point maybe for your own sake you should consider asking yourself "is this really worth the time / energy I'm sinking into it?"

I've been asking myself that same question for a couple hours and I'm not even remotely impacted by this, and yet I can't look away. I really need some better hobbies.

Edited by Nickious

Maybe... but a professional never laughs when his/her customers are unhappy.

He/she either decides to no longer do business with them for whatever reason, or does what needs to be done to turn them into happy customers.

Laughing is what children do, and I'd like to think they are more professional than children.

apparently you never worked in the service industry...or with customers at all...thats all I most do is laugh at the stupidity of customers half the time. The other half we're crying for having to deal with them.

once had a guy come in to my convenience store screaming hell and high water and absolutely refused to pay for the first half gallon of fuel since the person before him had purchased premium and didn't want to pay for whats in the hose....god that guy was an idiot. Note hose doesn't hold much gas at all, and the customer before him paid for it (at which point he didnt' want to pay for the LAST half gallon) which he left in the hose. Did I mention he was an idiot?

The "customer is always right" should be changed to "customers are usually idiots and do what you can to shut them up and get them to go away" The cost of arguing with someone often times outweighs what was being asked for.

Com'on, you guys have never trolled the forums before...Your replies have been great entertainment during my work day...5PM...time to go home...

Edited by Bristol

@OP None of that matters as you didn't pay for the slot machine you paid for packs. What was in the packs is random and Biowares property, and subject to them doing what they want with it, as part of the contract you have agreed to to play this game. Therefore quit your QQ and quit or man up, shut up and move on.