Innovative Ordnance Worth the Investment to 60?

Coolrockski

The forums say how bad mercs are in ranked PVP. I know Innovative Ordnance is pretty bad *** in lowbie pvp. Is is doable in Ranked?

I was looking at the 3.0 overall leaderboards and there are some mercs on there . I thought they were terrible, no chance in ranked?

Edited by Coolrockski

IO is very demanding but fun spec. viable in regz. You will have a slightly better defence and AoE potential( Chaf flare dmg reduc.) but less burst than Arsenal.

The problem is not in DMG, general problem of Merc is no "O **** button" which will delay instant death when focused!

So, for Ranked, Merc in general is not good as Assasin, Sorc, Jugg or Powertech and even Operative.

We all hope that patch will come soon and fix our beloved Merc !

Being a viable Merc for ranked comes down to, how good you are at running away and staying alive. If you have a good group team you could pull it off but in solos you are really at the mercy of the queue.

What he said.

As a Merc, you are the primary target 9 times out of 10 in reg PVP death match. In Rank, it is 10 out of 10. With no stealth yourself (or an escape), their stealthers already have you in their sights before the match even begins. You are like fresh meat to a starving dog. Your only chance is luck up and go the opposite direction as they do when the match begins. Because they may break their stealth to attack someone else due to the time it takes to get to you.

But if they have somebody with a grapple on their team, you can give it up. As soon as your grabbed your dead. End of story. You will be grappled, stunned, and dead before your team can even react. Then it is GG for them.

I dismissed mercs since the forums are always crapping on them. But after reading the 3.0 posts and youtube videos, the IO seems to be strong, just "hard to play" But I have been leveling a Scoundrel DPS in PVP and you also need to manage multiple situations so it shouldn't be mission impossible.

I have always like the Mandalorian, 2 blaster look but didn't want to be a turret that gets **** on either.

What he said.

As a Merc, you are the primary target 9 times out of 10 in reg PVP death match. In Rank, it is 10 out of 10. With no stealth yourself (or an escape), their stealthers already have you in their sights before the match even begins. You are like fresh meat to a starving dog. Your only chance is luck up and go the opposite direction as they do when the match begins. Because they may break their stealth to attack someone else due to the time it takes to get to you.

But if they have somebody with a grapple on their team, you can give it up. As soon as your grabbed your dead. End of story. You will be grappled, stunned, and dead before your team can even react. Then it is GG for them.

How do some get high up on the leaderboard (solo)if mercs are just dogmeat?

I also know you post a lot of good answers(like the operative/gunslinger post today) so genuinely curious.

I dismissed mercs since the forums are always crapping on them. But after reading the 3.0 posts and youtube videos, the IO seems to be strong, just "hard to play" But I have been leveling a Scoundrel DPS in PVP and you also need to manage multiple situations so it shouldn't be mission impossible.

I have always like the Mandalorian, 2 blaster look but didn't want to be a turret that gets **** on either.

Its just that our dcd's suck. Damage and healing is quite fine tbh

How do some get high up on the leaderboard (solo)if mercs are just dogmeat?

I also know you post a lot of good answers(like the operative/gunslinger post today) so genuinely curious.

By being really, really good at staying alive. Proper gearing might come into play a bit more for Mercs, I get the impression that alacrity might help them out a bit but I'm not sure. I kind of gave up on mine since even with the changes in 3.0 (which were all pretty much good except for gutting DPS healing) they are still far behind other AC's for each of their roles.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you have to be pretty good to be consistently successful with a Merc.

Its just that our dcd's suck. Damage and healing is quite fine tbh

DPS merc healing:

medium instant heal on 21s CD

medium cast heal on 15s CD

very small trickle heal for free and no CD but takes 1GCD per tick

It's the only healing class which can't do a combat heal to full in dps spec.

Edited by Gyronamics

DPS merc healing:

^^^^^^ this. However I main (have 2 mercs for) arsenal and pyro. That said it really depends on the comp you are facing and if you are focused first over the comps you have (a good sorc, sniper or pt) the damage of pyro does not have as much burst as arsenal like they said above but I can burst out good damage (mag shot hitting for 12k) but in my rotation normally dpses folks down to 30-40% before the proc to mag shot (if criting) but really it depends on how good you do as well as which arena you are in.

DPS merc healing:

Double posted....

Edit: also wanted to put mara in what could be focused as well.

Edited by Darth__Reaver

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.