Why break slot machine?

DartDaya

It's made them completely useless now. People used to come into my stronghold cantina to play but now they don't anymore :( I miss the social aspect of it.

Also do people get refunds who bought packs? Because the slot machine isn't the same item any more. You nerfed it AFTER people bought the packs to get the item.

I've actually started seeing "I'm leaving" threads full of sympathetic responses since this debacle and not 90% "can I have your stuff / don't let the door hit you" responses.

Many people are upset with how this was handled. You can't just **** around when real money is involved and expect players to take it. Some people bought several packs, got 3 or more slots, only to have them broken a week later. Money wasted if all they wanted from the packs were those machines.

People have sensitive nerves in their wallets. If they get abused there, they don't spend long philosophizing about the in game economy.

Instead of making tens of new threads each day about this topic why dont people listen this QA from last cantina tour. There is a question about this matter and answer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3VKBktqKKs

Eric would just need same answer to be posted on official forum and be done with it.

Bioware actually fixed the problem with slot machine. It was never intended to be anything else than rep items with some bonus getting scraps and other items.

I do agree on one thing. Current way the slot machine works is quite a credit sink but its another way getting max reputation without buying CM packs.

It's a classic kneejerk reaction. This is a case of multiple wrongs still not making a right.

They first screwed up by not clearly explaining the purpose of the slot machine, which was only exacerbated by the returns, and the types of items being returned when winning a spin.

BW screwed up by misleading the playerbase when Musco posted about the CSM not being an exploit and working as intended.

Then they screwed up by not being completely forthcoming with the playerbase on how much the machine was going to get nerfed.

They continued to screw up by not addressing the issue immediately in the forums, but instead "apologizing" in a Cantina event which is pretty meaningless to the millions of SWTOR players who cannot attend such events.

This could have been a minor issue that was nothing more than a flea on a dog's butt that got quickly taken care of with a shot of Raid. Instead, because of BW's handling of this incident, it has become a serious issue that needs immediate rectifying, including an explanation on these forums and some form of compensation not only to those who bought the packs because the CSM was the main draw to doing so, but to the entire playerbase for their poor handling of this situation.

Afterwards, the need to go and take a serious look at crew skills and try to understand and fix the issues with crew skills that would cause the CSM to become the problem that it did.

I am one that supports having different types of options for obtaining any potential item in a game, therefore have no problem with things like the slot machine. However, no one means of acquisition should be inherently better than any other. Did the machine need a nerf? Yeah, kinda (but not to the extreme that it was), but along with that, crew skills need a buff - and a big one at that.

I am not much of a crafter, being still engaged with the actual gameplay of the game itself. However, during those times I have fiddled around with it, and REing items, I have found the returns certainly do not warrant the costs involved. Not to mention the fact that anyone not familiar with the companion bonuses could very well find themselves picking out crew skills that aren't optimal for the companions that their character will receive, thereby decreasing their ability to craft higher end items (due to lack of crits) or having to spend time re-leveling a completely different crew skill.

I never bought a pack, and at most I gave the CSM a whirl about 15-20 times in a public stronghold that had one up. So I have no real stake in what happened during this fiasco, but even I can see when something is handled very poorly and there needs to be crow eaten on BW's side, and they need to do it within the next couple of days.

Edited by TravelersWay

My, and I think many others, main issue is not the materials. It's not even that the machines were changed. It's the whole sequence of events, the assurance that it was in fact working as intended, the fact that it could cost hundreds of dollars to get one, and then the nuclear nerf. I don't miss the mats. I just feel cheated and ripped off.

Allow me to rebut myself...

"You didn't have to pay real money for it so argument invalid."

"You didn't buy it, you bought a chance to win it so your argument is invalid."

"It had to be nerfed for the good of the economy so your feelings and argument are invalid. "

"He said there would be changes so your argument is invalid."

"The game isn't about slots so your argument is invalid."

"This isn't my pet issue so your argument is invalid."

But he said they are gonna change it, sorry, but that argument is valid. Communication about the whole thing was just bad, but thats it. I even would give all slot machine owners a few cartel coins (or add a really exclusive item to the machine). Edited by Neglience

But he said they are gonna change it, sorry, but that argument is valid. Communication about the whole thing was just bad, but thats it. I even would give all slot machine owners a few cartel coins (or add a really exclusive item to the machine).

That's not "it" imo. They clearly stated that they want this item to "still be awesome", and it really isn't anymore. They can change it all they want - but unless the item is "still awesome" in the end, it's a failure on their part no matter what angle you look at it from.

Do you think this is an awesome item to own atm? I bet most ppl dont think so, no matter how they feel about the actual nerf to the jawajunk.

No refunds should be needed, they need to make the machine attractive and desirable in ways that keep people being entertained when playing beyond the point when you get the mount.

I did get the mount myself, and now i will probably never play the machine again. How awesome is that?

for bioware, nearly everything they do is awesome and going to die for...

All content in MMOs gets out of date or outplayed after some time, thats the nature of it. And the slot machine is not even content, its a deco item coming out of a CM pack with a function. If they release another slot machine, there will be something to get for you, this is no "it gives me cool rewards as long as swtor lives machine".

Edited by Neglience

It's akin to purchasing a Mercedes and then opening your garage door a week later and seeing a Pinto. As of this writing, I never intend to buy Cartel Packs again.

No, and if you want to make car comparisons its more like: Buying a pinto then realising all the inside is actually from mercedes and after a week your retailer comes to you giving you a real pinto.

No, and if you want to make car comparisons its more like: Buying a pinto then realising all the inside is actually from mercedes and after a week your retailer comes to you giving you a real pinto.

Nah, it's like being told that it's a porsche, but maybe it drives too fast, buying it, then the dealer comes by and tears out the engine and fills it full of gerbils.

Edited by calypsissmexy

I'm seriously tired of these threads and I am also tired of the people posting them over and over.

Only a grade A idiot did not see changes coming to these things.

It's amazing how many people don't get it. And it's clear by your argument that you either don't get it, or just refuse to. And you're in good company. I've seen this and many other not-getting-it arguments over and over from many different people.

It's not about what we saw coming. It's about how it was handled. It's about the real money involved. It's about the lies, either intentional or (more likely) not intentional/poor communication. It's about the fact that no matter how it turns out they made bank off of it before they nuked it by leaving it as is and promoting it as "working as intended" through the sweetest spot of a new pack's release life. And it's about silence. They could shut up all these threads by actually responding (not at some remote cantina tour stop that a fraction of fans see or hear about).

It's amazing how many people don't get it. And it's clear by your argument that you either don't get it, or just refuse to. And you're in good company. I've seen this and many other not-getting-it arguments over and over from many different people.

It's not about what we saw coming. It's about how it was handled. It's about the real money involved. It's about the lies, either intentional or (more likely) not intentional/poor communication. It's about the fact that no matter how it turns out they made bank off of it before they nuked it by leaving it as is and promoting it as "working as intended" through the sweetest spot of a new pack's release life. And it's about silence. They could shut up all these threads by actually responding (not at some remote cantina tour stop that a fraction of fans see or hear about).

Hey folks,

We know that there have been many questions about the Contraband Slot Machine and its intent. Here are a few notes on it:

• The Contraband Slot Machine is not bugged.
  • It is 100% not an exploit to use the Slot Machine.
  • If you feel the desire to sell access to your Stronghold, that’s totally up to you. As a reminder, do not scam people as that is against ToS.
  • We added the Slot Machine as a fun idea based on the positive feedback from the Nightlife event, so spend those credits to your heart’s content!

With that being said, we do hear the concern from many of you around the effects of the Jawa Junk’s drop rate on the economy. We are going to take a look at it and make changes accordingly. I will let you know once I know more. In the meantime, have fun! :rak_03:

-eric

10 char blah blah blah

Also do people get refunds who bought packs? Because the slot machine isn't the same item any more. You nerfed it AFTER people bought the packs to get the item.

Highly unlikely we'll see refunds but I do agree there should be some form of compensation.

It was never intended to be anything else than rep items with some bonus getting scraps and other items.

'Intended' really? After specifically stating that the slot machine as released was 'working as intended'?

I've made a suggestion in the Suggestions Forum I would like to 'signal boost'. My apologies for putting this post in more than one thread.

Please consider visiting the thread and adding your own thoughts/ideas about changes to the slots that would make them more acceptable and help alleviate community discontent with the v1.1 changes.

Please note: I think we have more than enough general complain threads. Now its more helpful to provide BioWare/The Devs with some ideas and demonstrate we're being reasonable and its too their benefit to consider our suggestions.

Thanks!

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=793234

"make changes accordingly" is not the same as "nerfing the hell out of something so it becomes next to useless"

Sorry... but why not?

Don't get me wrong... I think they over-nerfed the Junk/Scrap/Parts... but "changes accordingly" could mean a small reduction... or a nuke from orbit reduction... They reviewed the data... so it was not inline with their expectation, and changed the drop rate "accordingly" for what their intended purpose was.

Eric did not lie... the machines weren't "bugged" you clicked, it spun, it awarded or failed. Since BW is the only one who could determine what is and is not an "exploit"... It wasn't (as he said). They reviewed the data (took a look at it) and determined changes were necessary... and made the changes.

Like I said.. I think there could have been some middle ground on the junk/scrap/parts. CM Certs... I don't have an issue with.

Could communication been better... Most definitely

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.