Sword Squadron HM Issue with Rapid Fire and Gravity Missile

It appears on Sword Squardron, sometimes if the timing ends up being just right, the tank will get sucked in by gravity missile right as rapid fire starts. Since rapid fire is an AOE, this results in unavoidable deaths to the damage. I linked a video here below.

Warning: video has NSFW language due to the fact I didn't realize my mic was open.

This basically only happens when the boss's rotation gets off. There are a couple Rapid Fires which start a few seconds before a Gravity Missile, but this prevents the pull in. You can desync the boss's rotation by dying, stealthing, and possibly taunting at exactly the wrong time. I've seen this a few times, but not since we nailed down the tank timings.

I was the tank being pulled in with Rapid Fire. We did manage to kill it tonight, but had a couple frustrating wipes from this de-sync as you called it. It was pretty hillarious the first time it happened, after that not so much.

It might have been caused by a tank death+combat rez, I'd have to go over those attempts to see for certain but right now I'm just happy that we finally got them down. Underlurker here we come!

I was tanking sword squadron HM last night and everytime I got rapid fire + gravity missile I wasnt pulled in the middle, I just carefully run around people with my growing circle from Unit 1 to Unit 2. This happened every second missile, starting with first missile. Once we figured this out we didnt have many problems with rapid fire + gravity missile. We had other issues.

I was tanking sword squadron HM last night and everytime I got rapid fire + gravity missile I wasnt pulled in the middle, I just carefully run around people with my growing circle from Unit 1 to Unit 2. This happened every second missile, starting with first missile. Once we figured this out we didnt have many problems with rapid fire + gravity missile. We had other issues.

I'm aware how to handle the mechanic. The issue here was that the tank got sucked in WHILE the tank had rapid fire. The tank didn't have the choice to run around to dispense the rapid fire because the Hard Mode mechanic forcibly moved him to the middle.

I think what Keyboard Ninja said is probably right.

I don't think I have personally ever been pulled in with rapid fire on myself. That said, I have had quite a few attempts lately where I was pulled in as mega blast was going off...

This tends to happen around 2 and 4 minutes into the fight and there's not much you can do about it except for having everyone topped off and not standing in stupid before it happens. (Slinger can obviously hunker down for this, which he should do for the grapples every time anyway).

we just cleared the walkers on hm too. Happened to us a few times too, would get pulled in and have rapid fire/mega blast on a tank that wipes everyone. After 20 more pulls, RNG was in our favour and we cleared it without the issue said issue(assuming a small lag spike also didn't kill anyone already)

You do not get pulled during rapid fire whilst tanking unit 1 it exempts u from pull whilst the blue is being cast.

Most likely cause of blue in the middle is because tanks are swapping via middle during a rapid fire cast .. solution go around the front or back which ever is safer to raid

Pull 5 is the only one where this can possibly occur as pull goes out 1-2 sec before rapid fire cast starts .. this is more than enough time to leap/storm back to unit 1 before raid arrives or phase walk.

When pull around 5 min mark occurs this is always a possibility and since I am a playing vanguard as my main tank atm (although I run this 3 times a week with all 3 of my tanks) I just take off to 30m - ish with hold the line and out range that pull during rapid fire.

TLDR version = don't be bad

Edited by Loki_

I'm aware how to handle the mechanic. The issue here was that the tank got sucked in WHILE the tank had rapid fire. The tank didn't have the choice to run around to dispense the rapid fire because the Hard Mode mechanic forcibly moved him to the middle.

I was Merris's co-tank last night and yes, it's HM -- and yes, she did indeed get pulled in a couple of times with Rapid Fire on her that killed half the team at the Gravity Missile spot.

The bit about running around the middle bit is because there is a second bug (at least, I assume it's a bug) whereby if the tank Leaps/Charges to Unit 2, they then get about 5 stacks of the Rapid Fire hitting them at once. (Needless to say, that's a splat).

I don't quite understand what KBN says about tank timing, is the suggestion for the Unit 2 tank to taunt Unit 1 BEFORE the targetting on unit 2 switches? At present I only taunt off once Unit 1 has switched target to my co-tank.

The bit about running around the middle bit is because there is a second bug (at least, I assume it's a bug) whereby if the tank Leaps/Charges to Unit 2, they then get about 5 stacks of the Rapid Fire hitting them at once. (Needless to say, that's a splat).

This is solved by jumping forwards as you land from the leap this will break the full leap animation that plants you on the one spot for a whole global achieved by tapping space bar whilst holding ur W key whilst leaping. I would realy suggest people that do not have ample control of their character movement do not try to play tanks.

Edited by Loki_

This is solved by jumping forwards as you land from the leap this will break the full leap animation that plants you on the one spot for a whole global achieved by tapping space bar whilst holding ur W key whilst leaping. I would realy suggest people that do not have ample control of their character movement do not try to play tanks.

That's more than a little brusque…

The situation described in the OP is something I have seen. I'm fairly certain it's not describing the Rapid Fire that starts shortly after Grav Missile, given that the delay between those two is very significant and only a tank who has gone on a coffee break would still be in the middle of the walkers by the time Rapid Fire starts.

There are things that can set the boss's rotation slightly off kilter. I'm really not clear on exactly how it happens sometimes. The improperly timed tank swap is my only currently working theory, since I've seen it even in boss pulls where I never lost agro, didn't die and didn't stealth. When the boss's rotation is pushed around, the very carefully tuned timings can get disrupted, sometimes resulting in ugly things like Rapid Fire activating as you're pulled in (not before, since that prevents the pull-in, and not after since that's trivial to handle).

tl;dr: I don't really think this is an L2P issue. If my theory as to how the rotation gets desynced is accurate, then all the OP needs to do is tighten up on the swap timing. Given that almost everyone is messy on the swaps for the first couple clears, I don't think it's much cause for concern.

TLDR version = don't be bad

I'd write a long paragraph point for point debunk the complete lack of understanding you demonstrated for actual mechanics that exist, as well as your obvious not understanding the video I posted and the damage that rapid fire does. But I feel it would be better to just say:

TLDR version = no one cares how cool you think you are. It doesn't make you a good player.

Edited by Death_By_Smiley

Watched the video. It's exactly the situation I thought the OP was describing. The pull-in happened, and immediately as it happened, Rapid Fire started. Thus, either the boss's rotation got moved back by a few seconds, or it got moved forward (I've never seen this, so I think it's the former situation). This is definitely not a normal situation for the boss, since all of the Rapid Fires are desync'd from Grav Missile at the least by a few seconds.

In other news, you should do the swap as soon as you see the Targeting droid debuff on the Unit 1 tank. The only exceptions to this are the first two swaps, where the timing of Rapid Fire and the timing of Grav Missile are such that swapping aggressively in this fashion results in dropping bad in unfortunate places.

Watched the video. It's exactly the situation I thought the OP was describing. The pull-in happened, and immediately as it happened, Rapid Fire started. Thus, either the boss's rotation got moved back by a few seconds, or it got moved forward (I've never seen this, so I think it's the former situation). This is definitely not a normal situation for the boss, since all of the Rapid Fires are desync'd from Grav Missile at the least by a few seconds.

In other news, you should do the swap as soon as you see the Targeting droid debuff on the Unit 1 tank. The only exceptions to this are the first two swaps, where the timing of Rapid Fire and the timing of Grav Missile are such that swapping aggressively in this fashion results in dropping bad in unfortunate places.

KN: first, thank you lots and bunches for continued feedback in the topic.

Second: I went back over the video from last night. Every single time we had a rapid fire/grav missile wipe, we had a tank death earlier in the fight. This lends credence to that theory.

As for tank swapping, we don't actually do it. We use what I like to call Ultimate Facetank Simulator 2015 where we just spike heal the jugg tank who is on Unit 1 as he holds both. This actually reduced our raid damage dramatically, since he could cycle defensives while he had both and our Unit 2 tank was free to run defensives while tanking Unit 2 just to help heals.

But yeah, it appears you are correct. Death of a tank causes weird things to emerge, this being one of them.

Just don't swap at all and Unit 1 tank pop a cooldown everytime Unit 2 switches targets, problem solved. Never seen rapid fire while being pulled into the middle with this strategy.

The second advantage os this strategy is, no mega blast cleaves into the raid at any time.(well exactly one, that occurs @~5min while he casts while pulling in)

Edit: nvm, didn't read Death_By_Smile's post above mine :)

Edited by Torvai

Not swapping does also reduce the cleave into the group from Unit 1 if Tank 2 taunts Unit 1.

We do also the non swap mechanic and its not even hard to heal the Tank 1 when he tanks both Units.

I know its "outsmarting" the mechanics which seems to be broken. But not swapping does reduce damage and prevents the time sync issues you describe, we have never seen this issue and the only way to get the whole group killed instantly is to walk into the pulled people with the white grenade ... well or if you place the red circle in the middle :rak_01:

Why do you think the mechanic is broken? Works as intented imho. Targeting droid spawns and his cast makes Unit 2 target Unit 1s target. Simple as that. When you kill the droid before he finishes his cast, Unit 2 swaps back to his tank.

My guess would be, that for NiM we'll have to kill the add before he finishes casting or otherwise Unit 2 will oneshot it's target or something like this.

Edited by Torvai

With broken mechanic I meant the time sny issue which pulls in the Tank with the rapid fire which killes the group instantly.

The other things are working perfectly.

Lets see what NiM brings ... I guess debuff from targeting droid increasing damage on the targeted tank from that unit to enforce perma-swap between the tanks.

And I think an insta wipe mechanic will come when stacking 2 shields on another to prevent the not using of the first shield and therefore prolonging the fight. Also why only let the Unit 1 shield? Make it random which one of the two gets the shield ... or shield both =)

I also think repair droids which spawn and are trying to repair the Walkers would be a fun mechanic for dps.

But lets clear HM first, gear up and then talk about NiM.... Can't wait for it anyway.

Well, sorry for misunderstanding you :)

But out of snyc bosses happen from time to time. Just the way it is. We once had a Bestia pull where the stacks on the tank apperaed almost 20 second after her channel, ruined the whole swap timing.

Those NiM suggestions sound fun :)

Edited by Torvai

Bestia out of sync happened for us almost all the time.

I think what triggered it back then was when you delayed the swap after you get the stacks for the first time and she casts again.

But yeah you are right out of sync bosses happen often and it seems to be a general issue. For me the most famous issue was Corrupter Zero. 3 or 4 different mechanics at one time was no fun .... in a 16man nim run we asked the dps to only do half the dps they are capable of to avoid all mechanics at once ^^

It happens often for bosses who have to cast all there abilites ... they tend to get attack overflow when you add more dps then they are designed for (which happens allways)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.