Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications

frauzet

Good stuff! That Smilo, charming as ever. :) Gotta love him. I also enjoyed his constant stream of thought...paranoia, curiosity, distrust. I would imagine all those things go through an agent's mind. At least those that mean to stay alive. Looking forward to more!

Thanks again for the kind and encouraging words. It is always great to get feedback. Sometimes it's still hard to believe there are people actually reading my story.

This week I have been working on a story for the Short Fiction Weekly Challenge. It's some background for Giz and Iolith. If you'd like to know how they met for the first time, you can read it here.

• 1 month later...

Again it took me some time to finish the next part. RL kept distracting me. If you enjoyed the background piece for Giz and Iolith I mentioned in my previous post, and you'd like to know what happened next, I wrote two followups. Here you can find the first and the second one.

This part contains spoilers for BH Dromund Kaas.

Dromund Kaas, two days after Smilo meets Darth Jadus

“Hey, big guy, you’re not descending yet, are you?”

Thorns heard Mako loud and clear over his helmet. She had somehow hijacked several relay stations to pass their signals on. She was still in her cheap room in Kaas city while he had trekked through several miles of jungle on foot. The terrain wasn’t suited for the rented speeder he had hidden shortly after he had to leave the path. This wasn’t his natural habitat but so far he had proved to be the most dangerous predator around. He was glad he didn’t have to worry about insects, though. Given the high moisture his armor had some problems controlling the temperature, but Thorns kept his helmet on.

“Nearly there. What’s up? Ungry on a rampage?”

Mako chuckled. “No, he’s asleep for once. I got Crysta on the line for you.”

“Crysta? What does she want?”

“Well, obviously to talk to you, I’ll patch her through.”

“Okay, but…”

“Hello, handsome,” Crysta’s voice interrupted him. “Heard you’re already closing in on your first target, so I won’t keep you long. Interested in a little side job?”

Thorns reached the cliff he had been heading for. “What’s the job and how well does it pay?” He peered over the edge. High but doable. He’d maybe have to hoist his target back up after he had found him.

“Bodyguard. Only for several hours during some social event. Boring, not that much of a paycheck, but easy credits.”

Thorns was inspecting the trees a few feet away from the edge. He needed one big enough with solid root system to anchor his grappling hook in. “Don’t know, Crysta. Who hires a bodyguard for just a few hours?” He had found his tree.

“Some insignificant Sith apprentice who has been invited by one of the Lords. Like I said…”

“A Sith apprentice?” With a thump the hook bored itself into the tree. Thorns imagined it wore a face framed by gray hair.

Crysta caught his mood. “You’re not in any trouble with the guy? He asked specifically for you, claimed you’d worked together for Kilran.”

“Tell him I’m busy.”

“Fine. It’s your call. And you are busy. Go get that noble.”

“Let me do it. It’s a clear shot, no problem plucking him off that cliff.”

Smilo let his rifle sink to regard Kaliyo for a moment. “No,” he said, “don’t care if you’re done with him. He might still be useful.” He raised the scope back to eye-level and continued to observe Thorns climbing down to the valley floor. What was the hunter doing down here? Besides revolting slaves there wasn’t much to be found. There might be some captured Imperials left. Had someone hired a bounty hunter to free one of those? Unlikely. It would have been easier to enter along the usual route. The guards would have let the hunter pass. So he wanted to do something he preferred to keep secret, did he?

“Never said I was done with him.” The pout was audible in Kaliyo’s voice. “Most of the men around are as boring as you are, agent. No, he’d have survived that fall. Would have taught him a lesson.”

Kaliyo was probably right. Given Thorns’ armor a fatal shot would be nearly impossible. He doubted the hunter would wait for a whole series. He’d just drop to the floor trusting in the armor to absorb most of the shock he would not be able to circumvent through the use of his jetpack. A shot to ignite the jetpack’s fuel chamber at this distance called for very much luck or a much better sharp-shooter than either him or Kaliyo. When they got closer Thorns’ armor’s sensors would likely detect them.

The hunter had painted his armor over with camo color. There was only one reason he had not remained unnoticed. Smilo had accessed one of the drones in the area, and discovered its route had been reprogrammed. The agent had not been able to trace the slicer, but he had found several other devices which had been tampered with. Comparison of the alterations delivered an area which now was without surveillance. Mako was a genius. Too bad Smilo had to discard his plans to recruit her for Imperial Intelligence. The situation was too complicated right now. He was busy making no mistakes as it was.

“You sure that’s a good idea?” Mako sounded worried.

“If someone wanted to kill me, they’d have started trying while I was still on my way down. You don’t alert your victims with flashes of light.” His HUD showed him two people in front of him.

When he came closer Smilo stepped from behind a tree. Kaliyo followed the agent. “Hello hunter. I would have talked to you sooner, if I had been able to decode the encryption of your communication. Give my regards to Mako.” The agent was all smiles and innocence. Kaliyo looked as harmless as she was able to. Well, at least she hadn’t drawn a weapon. “What are you doing here?” the agent demanded.

Thorns stifled the rebuff. The agent was wearing uniform. Contrary to Thorns he had every right to be here. And as a member of Imperial Intelligence he had every right to ask questions of trespassers. He could lie to him, but the agent might be able to help. He wasn’t doing anything illegal. Not exactly. Suppressing a sigh Thorns retrieved a small datapad from one of his pockets, and handed it to Smilo. “Looking for this guy, Altaca, a noble from Alderaan. There was some kind of mistake. He shouldn’t be here in the first place.” The Alderaanian noble should have been ransomed back to his family a long time ago. He shouldn’t have ended up in a slave labor camp. He should not have gotten entangled in the middle of a slave revolt. Well, Thorns didn’t care about the man, but his family paid a lot of credits to get him back. And most importantly he needed to earn the bounty for the chance to participate in the Great Hunt.

Smilo skimmed the information. “If this is right, then Altaca should be in the camp right down this path.” The agent motioned to his right, and handed Thorns the datapad back. “This is a sanctioned bounty contract, why the sneakiness?”

“Someone,” Thorns emphasized the word, “is trying to put obstacles in my way. I’d rather they didn’t know what and how I’m doing.” He waited for Smilo’s reaction.

The agent’s brows drew together in thought. “Obstacles, huh?”

“You know something?” And if he did, would he tell him? Could Thorns believe him?

“If your noble is in this camp, then it’s only a coincidence. And I doubt the Sith would be interested in your doings anyway.” Smilo shrugged. “In this spiderweb it’s hard to discern whose tug makes whom twitch.”

“What’s this coincidence?”

The hesitation was there. “I was ordered to poison the water supplies in the anterior camps.” The agent gestured with his thumb towards the entry to the valley.

“You…” Thorns didn’t continue his question. The hard expression on Smilo’s face told him the agent had done as ordered. “That’s sick.”

“Compared to what? Killing poorly armed slaves with two blasters and a handful of grenades?”

The agent was right. Thorns was here to save one man. He didn’t care about the rest. He’d come here with the intention to shoot anybody who’d stand in his way. He wasn’t any better. Being better was a luxury he couldn’t afford.

Smilo leaned at the edge of a makeshift table and shook his head. He had decided to waste some time to help the hunter. It was a calculated waste. He had meant what he had said to Kaliyo earlier. The hunter might be useful. At this very moment Smilo was doubting his assessment, though. Then again, he wouldn’t need him for the difficile tasks. He made a mental note to not let Kaliyo handle any interrogations either. A rancor in a pottery shop wouldn’t be able to keep up with either one of them let alone her and Thorns as a pair. “You know, it would be easier for the man to talk if you left him some teeth.”

“Always the spoilsport,” Kaliyo quipped.

“He does have a point.” Maybe there was something akin to a brain in Thorns’ head after all.

To be fair, it had been Kaliyo who had started the excessive violence. Both of them had failed to hold her back. After the smoke cleared there had been quite a number of bodies left. The slaves who had been still able to move had fled. The chances of finding anyone willing to talk without coercion were slim. It obviously didn’t do to let her get bored. Smilo decided he had seen and learned enough.

“He does have a big mouth,” Kaliyo contradicted Thorns. “Sitting there, making clever remarks. That’s not gonna find your man.”

Well, she was right about that. Smilo got up and placed his backpack on the table. The medkit he retrieved from its contents still held some doses of SLV-16. He had already dismissed the slave Kaliyo and Thorns had been questioning. The man knew nothing. But Smilo was lucky. The second unconscious slave he awoke was stable enough to survive the truth serum for at least a little while. There was a flicker in the woman’s face when he showed her the holo of the noble they were looking for. She knew the man. It took some time for her screams to die down. The SLV-16 had some nasty side effects apart from rendering the recipient helpless and obedient. Smilo had been trained to withstand its effects. He didn’t relish the memory. In the end the woman talked. The information, though, wasn’t what Thorns had hoped for.

“What happened?” Mako wanted to know.

Through the abating echo of the shot Thorns realized the woman’s whimpers had stopped. He looked up to see Smilo holster his blaster. Had it been mercy or irritation that had made the agent shoot her? “The agent shot the slave.” Thorns heard Mako gasp. “I’ll get back to you later, give me a few minutes.” He cut the connection. He was glad she wasn’t there. Somehow this had not gone as planned. And it would continue to do so. He unclenched his fists and tried to think straight. Had he been set up? The woman hadn’t known any specifics, but the nobleman had been rescued from the slave camp a few days ago. Well, obviously the man had not been returned to his family. Right then Thorns had no idea what to do next.

He looked at the agent again. In the background Kaliyo was searching the dead for anything useful. From her mutterings she didn’t find much. This was a slave camp. What had she expected? Thorns watched the agent put his equipment back into his backpack. “Did you know?” Thorns asked softly.

Smilo stiffened slightly before he continued his task. He didn’t look up from his backpack when he answered. “If you believed that, you wouldn’t have asked. We would be talking blaster bolts instead.”

“I don’t know what to believe.”

The agent looked him in the eyes then, or better at the visor of his helmet. He seemed to stare right through it. “Good! First rule: trust no one.”

“You’re telling me not to trust you?”

“Especially not me.” Smilo chuckled when Thorns tilted his head. “I imagine you’re looking surprised right now. You should know, my priorities lie always with the Empire. That’s no secret. I am an Imperial Intelligence agent after all.” He spread his arms and turned once on the spot as if to show off his uniform. “As long as your interests coincide with those of the Empire, you are on the safe side, though.”

“So the Empire is interested in my noble?”

“There is still a treaty between the Empire and the Republic. Losing nobles isn’t considered good style on either side. We wouldn’t want them to lose ours, would we?”

“You’re talking about Iolith Zairos. How is she involved in this?”

“She isn’t, not yet. But if we let go one Alderaanian noble, maybe the Republic could be convinced to release Lady Zairos.”

“You could keep him as a pawn.” Smilo had told him not to trust him.

“When there is a sanctioned bounty? Not a good idea. The Mandalorians are a touchy bunch when it comes to their work.”

“Then it has to be Tarro Blood who has been interfering again. Maybe he thought this task was one of the hardest. But maybe he knew more. Maybe he knew I wouldn’t be able to retrieve this damned noble. Maybe he knew the man was already gone.”

“Now you’re starting to use your brain. There are a lot of situations where it will serve you better than your blasters if you utilize it.” A smile tugged at the corners of Smilo’s mouth. “So, if this Tarro Blood actually knew the Alderaanian wasn’t here any longer, how did he learn of it?”

Thorns thought about it for a moment. He grinned. “You are right. The slave said Altaca was rescued. The rescuers were Mandalorians!”

Smilo nodded. “That’s a safe assumption.”

“But why is there still a sanctioned bounty on the man. Why am I tasked with rescuing him by the Mandalorians if they did already rescue him? That doesn’t make sense.”

“What if their task wasn’t to rescue Altaca? What if they had a different task?”

“Someone contracted Blood or some of his cronies to rescue the man, but under a false identity. Probably not Altaca’s family. But who else?”

“That’s what you’ll have to find out.”

Rufuro stopped on the threshold of the training chambers to watch. Ciner was already there. The gray haired Sith glided across the floor doing his exercises. Seemingly effortless he made the movements look like a perfectly choreographed dance. Rufuro took a deep breath and reminded himself why he was here; training not daydreaming. He stepped into the room.

Ciner stopped and looked up. “Any word from the Mandalorians?”

“He’s declined my offer.” The flash of anger made his fingertips spark. Ciner rewarded him with a mocking smile. “Don’t say you told me so,” Ru warned his friend.

“My offer still stands. You can have one of my bodyguards.”

Ru shook his head. “I’d rather go without one.”

“You can’t change you’re an alien. But I’d advise against making yourself be seen as a savage also.”

Without blinking Ru grabbed and activated his double-bladed lightsaber. “I would not advise anyone to call me thus.” He saw the flicker in Ciner’s eyes, but it was gone as fast as it had appeared. They had played this game too often.

“I could lend you money to raise the payment for the job. If it was a bit more attractive you’d be able to interest one of the Mandalorians. Not just some unknown thug.”

Rufuro ignored the urge to defend Thorns. He knew Ciner was right. “I don’t want to be in your debt. At least not more than I already am.”

Ciner dismissed the argument with a wave of his hand. “As I am in yours.”

“I am free, I am Sith. I am able to provide for myself. We’ve been over this.”

“I don’t question you’re ability. It’s just that it would be easier right now if you’d let me help. It’s not like I’d miss the credits. I don’t see why you are so adamant about it. It’s only credits.”

To Ciner it was. Rufuro averted his eyes. “I don’t know why Morgon has invited us. I know we can’t decline the invitation. I can’t change the past, but I will not provide him with any more reason to mock me. If I took your help in this, he’d use it against me.” He balled his hands into fists to keep from channeling lightning, to keep from losing control. He heard Ciner take a sharp breath. “See what only thinking about him does to me?” He had failed to control the bond between himself and Ciner. There was no denying his rage, his terror, the humiliation. “It is the deal you made with him. You bought me. I can’t let anyone, let alone him, see me as part of your property.”

“You’d know if I saw you like that.” Ciner had approached him. His hand was on Ru’s shoulder. Ciner had learned to control his end of the bond to some extent. Now he let any barriers fall.

Rufuro was flooded by a feeling of confidence, confidence in himself and his abilities. He turned his head to look at Ciner. “I am Sith. Morgon no longer wields power over me.” He felt better once he had said it aloud.

Ciner nodded, his green eyes sparkling with glowing flecks of red.

Note:

I always thought it unlikely that a slave possessed a holocom and a datapad to store recordings of his calls, and that this datapad would be left behind, and would still be there when the BH arrives. So my version of the events is a bit different.

I think the game doesn't mention where Altaca is from, so mine is from Alderaan.

Very nice! I just love Kaliyo, she's completely malevolent lol. I'm glad good ol' charming Smilo was able to talk her down. I do agree that it doesn't do to let her get bored lol. Having Mako as an agent would awesome.

Good to see all the usual suspects again, and I must say I loved this line:

“In this spiderweb it’s hard to discern whose tug makes whom twitch.”

Looking forward to more. :)

Edited by Lunafox

• 2 weeks later...

@Lunafox: Thank you for the feedback :)

It would be too cruel to rob Thorns of Mako. But he most certainly won't stay the only one flirting with her. I am not sure if Imperial Intelligence is interested in freelancers, but Smilo will be.

The next part contains spoilers for BH Dromund Kaas and a Dromund Kaas sidequest.

Dromund Kaas, a few days later

Thorns panned his gaze over the plaza. Ungry was nowhere to be seen. “Damned, where is he?” From the look on Mako’s face she was trying not to suffocate on a ‘told you so’. She only rolled her eyes at him. Well, she had told him to keep Ungry on the leash. He had known it wasn’t the best idea to release the monkey lizard, but Thorns needed a bit of calm to think. Concentrating while Ungry bit his ear, searched for lice in his hair, or used him as a climbing contraption, was impossible. Thorns’ street wear was no match for the little guy’s claws. Right then, when time was running short, he needed to concentrate. They had no trace of Altaca. He was tempted to ask Mako if she had found anything, but that would have been a cheap comeback. Mako was doing her best. It wasn’t her fault there was not more information to be had. When she’d find something she’d tell him. She wanted him to participate in the Great Hunt maybe even more than he himself did. Even now she was scanning the net for clues.

“Stay here, I’ll go find him,” he told Mako. She needed some fresh air. And while the bench couldn’t be called a suntrap it was at least kept dry by a canopy. The storms of the previous days had abated and the rain had died down to a drizzle. After a few steps away from the roofing Thorns regretted not wearing his helmet. Sticky rivulets trickled down his scalp. The rain was starting to dissolve his mohawk. He got a bandanna from one of his pockets, and wrapped it around his neck. No need to let the stuff spread farther beneath his jacket. If they stayed longer in this climate he’d have to reconsider his haircut because the usage of stronger styling products was impractical in combination with a helmet. He’d be able to braid his hair if he let it grow a bit longer. A braid should do beneath the helmet. Maybe Mako would help him with some experiments. The thought made him smile and left a pleasant tingle in his belly.

With the scarf in place, Thorns’ thoughts once more concentrated on his task. They knew Altaca had been rescued by Mandalorians. A group of hunters had sneaked into the slave camp and brought the noble away two weeks prior to Thorns’ descent into the valley. Crysta had helped them to find information about the contract. But it said not much more than that it had been fulfilled. There was no hint about the employer. According to Crysta the credited hunters were associated with Tarro Blood. All of them had left Dromund Kaas as far as she could tell, the last one of them only a day after Thorns’ arrival. Blood had been thorough. None of the Mandalorians would have talked anyway if the client wanted to stay secret. Even Crysta’s enthusiasm seemed forced by now. However Thorns wasn’t known for giving up.

He had to come up with other options to find Altaca. He already owed a favor to Smilo. The agent had managed to provide them with the data the drones above the slave camp had collected. Among those had been a recording of the nobleman’s rescue. At least they now knew Altaca was most certainly still breathing. The way the Mandalorians had treated the noble showed they had wanted him unharmed. If Mako’s search didn’t bring something to Dromund Kaas’ dim light, only luck would help. Thorns took a look around. Where would he go if he were a monkey lizard? Everything was gray, no trees anywhere near. A gust of wind brought a spicy smell with it. The marketplace seemed like a good place to start his search for Ungry.

Halfway up the steps of the broad stair leading to the market Thorns heard him. Ungry’s laughter was unmistakable. Taking three steps at once Thorns hurried towards the noise. Once he reached the top of the stairs he saw a man not far from him, who was chasing after the monkey lizard.

“Give it back, you little scoundrel. That’s my lunch!” the man shouted as he followed Ungry across the street.

Ungry hid behind a dustbin until his pursuer was close enough to grab him. He waited for him to bend down, then raced off into the direction he had come from. The man straightened with a curse and hurried after the laughing thief who was holding a wrapped sandwich. The bulky man was huffing and puffing through his beard. The way he moved, his bulk obviously didn’t consist mainly of muscles. To put it mildly, he looked close to collapsing, his face nearly as red as a tomato. Several onlookers had gathered already. The memory of the incident on Vaiken Spacedock sufficed to make Thorns decide he didn’t need any more trouble because of Ungry. However, catching the little guy would be no mean feat. This was as good an opportunity as any to test if the trick they had been training would work in front of an audience. Unfortunately there was a catch as Thorns now realized. The audience might not respond well to him drawing his blaster. Well, there were no rules where Ungry was involved. He’d try without.

Thorns spit his toothpick out and whistled to get Ungry’s attention. The monkey lizards ears went up at the sound. The little head turned in Thorns direction, the rest of the body raced on, as anticipated. Thorns raised his hand, forefinger pointing at Ungry, to shoulder height. Ungry stopped. Thorns shouted “bang, bang, Ungry.” The little guy dropped dead, sending the sandwich flying.

When Thorns reached the little body, one eye opened. “Ungry treat?” When he saw one of his favorite goodies in Thorns’ hand he didn’t wait for another invitation to climb up on Thorns’ shoulder. There was some clapping from the audience. Thorns took Ungry down and fastened the leash and collar around the little guy’s neck while Ungry was still distracted by the treat. Thorns retrieved the sandwich. Part of the ingredients had fallen out, crumbs of dirt had mixed with the sauce, and tiny stones had joined the grains sprinkled on top. He remembered his toothpick but couldn’t find it right away. The audience had already begun to disperse when he looked back up. Nobody wanted to appear suspicious on Dromund Kaas, and crowds, even small ones, were suspicious. Casting a glance at his surroundings Thorns couldn’t find any security cameras monitoring their position. He decided to forget about the toothpick.

The owner of the sandwich had followed his glances and had also noticed the lack of cameras. Now he was staring at him with wide eyes, retreating backwards with tentative steps. “You’re one of them! Did they send you to silence me? I’ll scream. There will be witnesses.”

Thorns waved his hands, palms down, in an effort to calm the man. “No idea what you’re talking about. Just looking for this little runaway.” He pointed at Ungry who cackled and searched Thorns’ pockets for another treat. “I’ll buy you a new one!” he said with an apologetic smile as he tossed the sandwich into the dustbin. Who knew what would happen if the man decided to make a fuss.

“I don’t want a sandwich, I want justice. I won’t be silenced! Seven brutal, bloody murders. Seven! And the killer is allowed to walk free? Decent, law-abiding citizens — loyal servants of the Empire — are being slaughtered. And what do our security forces do? Nothing!” The man’s voice had risen in volume by now. “I’ve seen the killer myself, but the authorities say I don’t have enough proof. I demand justice!”

Out of the corner of his eye Thorns could see some people looking in their direction. Most of them hurried on. Nobody wanted to be involved in a murder investigation. No members of the security forces in sight. So far he was lucky. “Why are you yelling at me?” he asked the man.

“Because you probably know the killer. He’s a professional manhunter, like you! I saw you at the Mandalorian enclave.” The man seemed genuinely distressed.

It seemed like a lot of coincidences had brought Thorns here, but hadn’t he asked for some luck earlier? As long as he didn’t have a better idea he might as well listen to the man’s story. “Why don’t you start at the beginning?”

The man — Weng Wrightsyn — then told him how he had spotted a devaronian bounty hunter pointing a strange device at seemingly random people. Those people had been murdered not long afterwards. The devaronian was behind the brutal killings as Wrightsyn was sure. It seemed like a bit of a stretch. But Thorns couldn’t see why the authorities hadn’t bothered to investigate. Apparently Wrightsyn wouldn’t be warped from his idea despite the lack of interest. He had even followed the supposed killer to the Mandalorian enclave and found out the devaronian’s name — Renegin. Thorns agreed to talk to this Renegin. He could pay Crysta a visit while he was at the enclave. Maybe together they’d come up with a new idea how to find Altaca. Before he set out Thorns showed the picture of Altaca to Wrightsyn who only shook his head, he didn’t know the noble. Well, that would have been too much luck to ask for.

After retracing his previous steps back to the bench, Thorns checked in on Mako. She hadn’t found anything yet and agreed to wait for him there while he traveled to the enclave to visit Crysta and look for the devaronian. The walk to the taxi pad was a short one. The pad provided an excellent view of the Imperial Citadel which housed the Mandalorian enclave in one of its wings. The huge structure towered over the city and seemed to emanate an imagined darkness that sought to rival the murk from the everlasting cloud cover above the city. Everything in Kaas City was trim and orderly and yet for him it felt more oppressive than the lower levels of Coruscant had back in his youth. Despite the moderate weather the queue of people was short and Thorns didn’t have to wait long for a taxi to cross the chasm between the enclave and the rest of Kaas City.

“Rainin’, eh?” Crysta said after one glance at his hairdo. She knew the trouble. But maybe she had meant it for his mood. She’d been pretty good at reading him from the start.

“Ainin!” Ungry stated from atop Thorns’ shoulder. Thorns was just about fast enough to close his eyes before the monkey lizard shook his wet ruffle and drops spattered in every direction.

“Thank’s, Ungry. Hadn’t noticed,” Thorns groaned and wiped his face with one hand. Crysta guffawed. Distorting his mouth Thorns glared at her. “Good we’ve at least managed to brighten someone’s day.” Crysta laughed only harder, and before long Thorns, too, was grinning.

“That’s much better, handsome!” Crysta approved. “What can your good ole handler do for you? You’ve not given up, have you?”

So there was no need to ask her for new leads on Altaca. “Course not! Decided to investigate something while Mako does her magic.” He saw the doubting look on Crysta’s face. “She may be no bounty hunter, but she’s damned good at what she’s doing. I’d not be here without her help. And I doubt I’d have been able to lay my hands on those intelligence files if not for her.” Smilo had given the data to Mako.

“My, we are touchy today!” Crysta grinned despite her words. “Guess I was young once, too. She is kinda cute.”

“This has nothing to do…” He cut off when he saw her raising an eyebrow. “She’s still a great slicer!”

“So while she’s slicing, you’re going to investigate what?”

He had nearly forgotten. “Right. Renegin, devaronian, do you know him?”

“Everybody knows Renegin. Not much devaronians around. It’s a good thing there ain’t. Kinda hard to tell them apart, if you ask me.” She called to a passing bounty hunter, “Gerrak, you seen Renegin?”

The armored man pointed with his thumb in the direction he had been coming from. “On his way to the taxi pad. Looked like he was leaving.”

“I need you to take care of Ungry for a moment.” Thorns thrust the leash into one of Crysta’s hands, put Ungry down, and was already sprinting towards the exit. “Thanks, I’ll be right back,” he shouted.

“You’ll owe me a drink!” she hollered.

“Two!” Thorns wasn’t sure she heard him or saw him wave. He had already reached the hallway.

Renegin was waiting on the taxi pad. There were some people in the line in font of him when Thorns got there. “Renegin? I’d like to have a word with you.”

The devaronian’s brow ridges drew together, his right hand hovered near his blaster. “My flight won’t be waiting. You mind getting out of my way?”

Thorns was sure Renegin had noticed both of Thorns’ blasters. He kept his hands at a safe distance from them. There was no official bounty on the man, even if Wrightsyn would be willing to pay a reward. Something told Thorns there was more to this story. And shooting Renegin wouldn’t solve the puzzle. “Fleeing the scene of your crimes?” he asked instead.

The devaronian hung his head and sighed. “Just my luck. Ten seconds later and I woulda been off this blasted planet…” He stepped out of the line of waiting people, and looked up at Thorns. “You have been listening to Wrightsyn. Great.” Thorns waited and the bounty hunter continued. “Listen, I didn’t murder anybody. I was just hired to tag some random citizens. That’s all.”

Thorns spit his toothpick over the railing. His stare never left the devaronian’s eyes. He waited. Could devaronians sweat? He might be able to find out.

“I admit, I’ve killed plenty in my time, but I never murdered anybody,” Renegin began, and Thorns realized the same couldn’t be said about him. The devaronian continued, “I was hired by a group of Sith to organize ‘games’ for them. Didn’t realize what that meant until bodies started piling up.” Or course, Sith. There was the reason there wasn’t an ongoing investigation. “When I confronted them, they laughed. Said Sith have a birthright to hunt ‘lowlives’. It’s like a sport to them.”

Lowlives? So that was what they called people without Force-abilities. Thorns briefly wondered how the cloudheads back home would feel about being called lowlives. The thought almost made him grin. “Where do we go from here?”

“Looks like it’s too late for me to leave. I need help and I am willing to pay for it. You interested?”

Well, if this amounted to him being payed twice for the same job, he wouldn’t say no. “Depends. What’s your plan?”

“The easiest would be to get rid of the loudmouth pointing fingers at me.”

Thorns shook his head. “That would be murder. Wouldn’t help much anyway. You’d be prime suspect.” And Thorns would lose one quasi employer.

Renegin twisted his mouth. “I had feared you’d say that. Then we have to end this sick ‘game’ the Sith are playing.”

“Your clients need to find a new hobby!”

“I don’t think asking them nicely will do any good.”

“We have to get the authorities interested.”

“Still got the tagging-device,” Renegin stated with a grin.

“You’re not planning to get more people killed, are you? Some more ‘lowlives’ won’t make a difference.”

“Not lowlives, and not me.”

“You gotta be kidding. Forget it. No matter how much you’re willing to pay, it isn’t enough.”

Renegin cast a glance over the people still waiting in line. He walked back to an unsupervised corner at the enclave, pulling Thorns with him. “Listen. If we don’t stop them, they’ll just hire someone else. People will continue to die anyway. But if you tag some of the acolytes…”

“Acolytes? Those are children.”

“They are Sith — or will be, if they survive Korriban. Rumor has it most of them don’t survive their first week there anyway. You’ll be doing them a favor.”

“So do it yourself.”

“I doubt Wrightsyn will stop keeping an eye on me. How about this? You tag them, I’ll keep an eye out for my clients, make sure the acolytes survive.”

“And if you don’t succeed, I’ll be charged with the murder of acolytes? Somehow I don’t like your plan.”

“I thought you were one of the competitors for the last spot in the Great Hunt. If you and your team can’t manage to do this without being seen, you can as well give up now.”

Thorns had to admit Renegin had a point. There would be no end to this game otherwise. And if Mako managed to neutralize the security cameras… “Okay, hand over the device. And you’ll pay in advance.” Thorns wouldn’t risk the devaronian vanishing without having payed.

They parted after they had discussed the details.

“They are killing innocents?” Mako didn’t like the plan. She liked dead innocents even less.

“I know it’s not perfect. Can you do it?” Thorns looked at her expectantly.

Mako sighed. “I am already in. So sit down, put Ungry in his bag, and hope he keeps quiet. I need a recording I can use for a loop.”

Thorns did as she told him. He didn’t know what Crysta had fed Ungry, but the monkey lizard’s belly was as round as a ball. As soon as he had rolled into a sleeping position inside his bag, he was snoring softly.

Mako concentrated for a while. At last she looked up. “You got five minutes. You have to be back before they are up. Otherwise you can scrap your alibi.”

“There are several acolytes on the plaza right now,” Renegin chimed in. The other hunter was sharing their com frequency. “I’m in place. We are good to go.”

Thorns nodded to Mako who began a countdown. “Five, four, three, two, go!”

Thorns got up and walked in the direction of the plaza. A glance at the next security camera showed him it was looking in the opposite direction. The following one was already moving. Thorns kept calm and his pace from getting too fast. He had to allow for some time for Mako to adjust the camera positions along his way. He strolled down the stairs onto the plaza and kept to his left. After positioning himself at the railing, he took the tagging-device from his pocket. Not far from him stood one of the acolytes Renegin had mentioned. The young man’s back was turned towards Thorns. Perfect. “Gonna tag the brown haired human.” From Renegin came an acknowledging click. Just as he was about to pull the trigger, Thorns noticed a movement out of the corner of his eye. Someone was coming down the same stairs he had used.

On a hunch Thorns looked up to get a better look at the new pedestrian. “Change of plan. New target.”

“Which one?” Renegin wanted to know.

One who will be able to fend for himself, at least better than the acolytes could should Renegin fail. “Gray haired human on the stairs.”

“Kark, that’s a Sith,” Renegin groused.

“That was the point of this, wasn’t it?”

“Whatever you’re going to do, do it now. Your time’s nearly up,” Mako reminded him. She sounded less happy than before. She couldn’t have visuals on Ciner, but she had to know whom he was talking about.

Thorns aimed, and…

“Where is he? He vanished!” Renegin exclaimed.

From behind himself Thorns heard the sound of activating lightsabers.

Oh a cliffhanger! Cool stuff :D For some reason, I usually went with the dark side on that particular quest lol. I guess it's because I liked the Devaronian more than Wrightsyn. I liked how Crysta could sympathize with Thorns about their hairstyle on DK. And did I mention Ungry is cute lol. He's adorable. :D Looking forward to the next part!

• 3 weeks later...

@bright_ephemera and Lunafox: Thank you for the feedback. It's very encouraging to know you are still with me :)

Thorns will have to do something about his hair! Plans have already been made.

Initially I hadn't planned to use Weng at all, but then I realized he'd solve some of my problems.

Most of the time I ended up doing the LS option with this quest. Guess it's because most of my chars like the Sith least.

Despite every distraction RL keeps throwing at me, I managed to finish the next part today. Hope you'll enjoy.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Contains again spoilers for BH Dromund Kaas and the same Dromund Kaas sidequest.

Dromund Kaas, continuing the last part

Ciner walked down the stairs, all senses on alert. First hit would win. He had to lure Ru out into the open. Most of their sparring took place inside, but from time to time they took their training to the outside. Several of the security personnel and droids had nodded their recognition at him on his way here. They were known by now. The small plaza in front of him wasn’t overcrowded, as was usual. The whole area was formed by a platform suspended over the chasm between the citadel and the rest of the city. Square holes in the platform, secured by railings, provided a view of the drop below.

The slight vibration in the Force warned Ciner even before he heard the talking. “Change of plan. New target.” He concentrated on his hearing. The auditory sensors of his implants went into overdrive. The noise made him dizzy for a moment before the effect of the filters and various dampeners set in. Marun had made some adjustments to the software, but the auditory sensors were still sensitive. “Gray haired human on the stairs.” Ciner recognized the voice. His implants provided direction and distance to it’s source. He was only able to vanish from sight for a few seconds. A few seconds were all he needed.

A handful of leaps brought Ciner behind Thorns. Weapons already drawn, the warrior became visible again in the hunter’s blind angle. In hunting a Sith there were mistakes to be avoided; mistakes you made only once. Ciner activated his lightsabers.

He watched Thorns leap over the railing, as he dropped into a crouch, lightsabers crossed overhead to intercept the downward sweep of Ru’s blade. The hunter’s blaster clattered to the floor. Ciner doubted the hunter would need it any longer. It was a long way down.

His backward sweep was aimed for Ru’s legs. Of course the inquisitor had seen it coming and avoided it with a jump. Ciner spun and leaped back to his feet.

“You were expecting me!” Ru observed.

“And I was right. The hunter would be a head shorter otherwise.” They were circling each other.

Ru cast a brief glance over the railing as he passed it. “Not much of a difference. Too bad! I really liked him.”

Ciner kept an eye on Ru while he observed the surrounding buildings. “He tried to ambush me. He wasn’t alone.”

Ru darted in. His thrust was parried and he jumped back to avoid the riposte. “Interested in his girlfriend?”

Ciner grinned. “She is cute, even if she isn’t exactly my type.”

They traded a few blows, circling the hole in the platform. Ru had improved a great deal since Ciner had first met him. The mirialan’s next blow was accompanied by a smirk. “Don’t think she’d like to be comforted by the likes of you.”

There was one thing even harder to resist than a beautiful woman, a real challenge. “We’ll see!”

While part of him said his last prayer, Thorns leaped. He had been here before. He knew what lay below. He wouldn’t survive the fall. He wouldn’t have survived losing his head to two lightsabers either. Adrenalin slowed time down to a crawl. One hand already on the handrail he let go of the tagging device. After his body had crossed the banister he kept his grip for a moment longer. He turned in midair, surprised his head was still attached to his body, facing the Sith now. In a blur a third blade materialized. The tagging device clattered to the floor. Swinging his legs below the platform Thorns released his grip on the handrail.

“It’s been nice to know you!” he heard Renegin mutter, before the devaronian cut the connection. The other hunter fled. Thorns hoped Mako would do the same.

One of the supporting beams of the platform passed by. Thorns grabbed it at the last moment. When the weight of his body jolted his grip his left hand slipped. The beam was moist. Damned climate. Tatooine looked much nicer in retrospect. He concentrated, brought his left back on the beam, and, with a grunt, swung his legs up, too. He’d be able to keep this position for a while. Ungry would be proud of him. From above he could hear the sounds of a lightsaber duel. Seemed like he had to stay here till they were done. He took stock of the beams, crossbars and shafts of the construction around him. He’d get back to the platform without problems. All he had to do was wait.

He listened to the din of the fight. It was too much to hope for whoever had attacked the gray haired Sith would win. Rumors about Darth Baras’ new apprentice had reached even his ears. Arrogant @sshole. Ciner, too, would probably think hunting ‘lowlives’ was a sport.

“Thorns? What happened?” Mako inquired. Was it save to answer her?

“Get back to the hotel. I am okay. Leave the planet if I am not back in an hour,” Thorns whispered. He looked up to see the two Sith had reached the side of the hole to his left. He recognized the second Sith as the mirialan. The railing rang with a reverberating sound as Ru’s lightsaber hit it. Thorns saw Ciner jump up onto the handrail to avoid another blow. The human balanced a few steps towards the other side of the hole.

“What was that noise? Where are you?” Mako had heard the clamor. She had to be near since his microphone was activated by his voice. Damned.

Above him Ciner did a backflip over Ru’s blade, turned and ran the railing back in Thorns’ direction. Thorns started to move to a crossbar farther below the platform, but it was too late. The Sith’ gaze met his.

“Thorns?” There was a tremor in Mako’s voice.

“Trouble!” he said. “I am in trouble.”

“Timeout!” the Sith shouted. His eyes flared as red as the blade of his lightsaber. He sprinted three steps on the railing and jumped towards him. Thorns abandoned his grip on the beam. His knees still wrapped around the metal supporting the platform, he let his upper body dangle and drew his blasters. He started to shoot. Ciner diverted the first bolt. The second would have hit — if the Sith would have been where he was supposed to be.

“I win!” Thorns heard the mirialan call.

“You cheated!” That was Ciner. He was back atop the platform. Ru must have pulled him back with the Force.

“I adjusted to the circumstances. And I may have saved you. You didn’t reckon with him shooting at you like he did. He is faster than you thought.”

“It won’t save him. He tried to kill me. Sooner or later he’ll have to climb out from his hiding place.”

“Did you hear that, hunter?” Ru shouted. “You could save us all some time and come out right away.”

Thorns had heard them. He considered his options. With his armor he might have had a chance. Without it? He looked down to the bottom of the chasm far below him. He was tempted to jump simply to deny the Sith the satisfaction of killing him. There was no way for him to sneak out from under the platform without them noticing. A lonesome bolt of lightning streaked past him and hit a beam not far to his right. The electricity in the air made his hair stand on end. Thorns saw the mirialan’s hand retreat out of sight. The bolt had only been aimed in his general direction.

“I am not known for my patience,” Ru stated. “Depending on my level of impatience I’ll be able to energize the whole construct.”

Thorns sighed. “I didn’t try to kill him!” he shouted.

“Ciner seems to think otherwise. It sure looked like you aimed at him.”

“I did. It wasn’t a blaster, though.” Thorns tried to sound casual, but something bothered him, something beside the obvious tricky situation. He turned his head to peak between the beams in every direction. Where was Ciner? The Sith hadn’t said anything for some time now. “Mako?” No answer. “Mako? Did you do what I told you?” Louder this time. Still no answer.

“What did you tell her to do?” Ru asked. “Oh, don’t bother. I think I’ll ask her myself.”

Thorns voice rose, the panic all too audible. “Mako?”

He heard her sob from above him. “I am sorry!”

Thorns closed his eyes and took a deep breath. His voice was firm when he spoke again. “Let her go, and I’ll come out.”

Ciner laughed. “You’re not in a position to make demands, hunter.” Nobody wasted time with threats.

Ungry’s head appeared at the edge of the platform. “So-ons!” With a screech of delight the monkey lizard flung himself at the next strut, and climbed down to him. The little guy cackled and squealed the whole time Thorns needed to climb to the platform. He seemed to think it was a great game.

The two Sith leaned against the opposite railing. Mako stood between them. She looked miserable but unharmed. Once he had climbed over the handrail, Thorns took a step in their direction, hands held away from his blasters. He took another deep breath. He was still alive. The Sith waited.

“I didn’t try to kill anyone.”

“That’s what you said. What is this device?” Ru held the tagging device in his hands. He must have picked it up earlier.

Thorns told them, about Wrightsyn, about Renegin, about the killings, about the game the Sith played. To his astonishment Ciner looked disgusted.

“There is no honor in killing unsuspecting Force-blinds. It’s a waste of the Empire’s resources,” the Sith stated. He looked at Ru. Both of them nodded.

“We will help you.” Ru was still turning the device in his hands. “If you wanted to tag a Sith with this, you’d have to make sure he wouldn’t suspect you.” The Sith grinned. “You should never hesitate, best not to even think about your actions.” He held to device out for Thorns to take.

The Sith would help? Thorns looked at Mako, who shrugged. Well, he shouldn’t give them time to change their mind. He reached for the tagging device.

Just as Thorns was about to close his fingers around it, Ru snatched it back, pointed it at Ciner, and tagged the Sith. “Like so!” he remarked sidestepping an attack from the now cursing human.

“Are you out of your mind?” Ciner roared, eyes ablaze.

“You are the logical target. Even the hunter was able to see that.” Ru pointed at Thorns.

For a brief moment Thorns considered to jump back over the railing, but Ciner calmed down instantly. Or at least he appeared to.

“We’ll consider it an additional training,” Ciner grumbled. “I am the decoy, you’ll be waiting hidden from sight. The hunter and his friend will provide additional intel and backup should we need it.” He eyed Thorns up and down. “Give me your jacket!”

Thorns frowned. “Why?”

“Because we are about the same size, and no Sith would wear it. I should at least try to look a bit less like me, if we want to lure them into attacking me.” He was already hiding his hair beneath a black scarf.

Thorns shrugged out of his jacket and handed it to the Sith. There was a slight hesitation before the Sith donned it over his formfitting clothes. “I got nothing contagious!” Thorns snapped.

“Which can also be said of anybody whom you have been in contact with during the last days, I am certain,” the Sith stated with barely hidden aversion.

“People in glass houses…” Ru muttered. “Ignore him,” he advised Thorns. “He doesn’t like to be bullied and tends to take it out on whomever is available.”

“I do nothing of the sort!”

“Obviously!” The two Sith glared at each other before they both burst out in a laugh.

Mako coughed. “My lords, I have access to the security system. I’ll let you know when a suspicious individual approaches. Renegin gave me descriptions of the suspects. My methods are not foolproof, though.”

“Okay, noted. Let’s get started.” Ciner put his hands casually into the pockets of the jacket and sauntered over to a bench on the opposite side of the plaza. He got a datapad out of one of the pockets, sat down, and pretended to be reading.

“Kark! That’s my datapad!” Thorns observed.

“Afraid he’ll find the nude photos of Kaliyo?” There was a mischievous twinkle in Mako’s eyes.

Thorns raised an eyebrow. “How do you know about them?”

“Didn’t until now,” Mako smirked.

He made a face at her, but decided not to comment further. Kaliyo had sent him the photos, but he had kept them. It wasn’t anyone’s business. He picked Ungry up, and sat the monkey lizard on his shoulder. “I’ll get to my position.”

Ru vanished from sight, but Thorns could feel the Sith close behind him. He had to be at the position Ungry was staring at. Interesting fact to remember. “Why are you following me?”

“Because that is the plan?” Ru whispered.

“That’s not what I meant. You’ve been interested in me since Vaiken Spacedock. I’d like to know why.”

“Maybe you’re just that good looking…”

“Yeah. And maybe I am just that straight.”

“Neither helps with the girl, does it?”

“You’re trying to change the subject.”

“I knew you were brighter than Ciner gives you credit for.”

“We’re not talking ‘bout him either.”

Ru chuckled softly. “You reminded me of a promise a boy once gave to another one. They are both dead, but somehow the promise lingered.”

Thorns furrowed his brow. “Is that some kind of a riddle?”

“I may be Sith, but I am an alien to most of those around me. You are new to the Empire. You don’t seem to be xenophobe. You made it clear you don’t like Sith. Three points in your favor if I were looking to hire a bounty hunter whom I’d be able to trust to some extent. Alas, you already made it clear, you are not interested in working for me.”

“When did I… oh, that was your job offer!” Thorns looked across the plaza at Ciner.

“I see!” Ru said low-voiced. “Would you reconsider my offer, even though I am still unable to pay more?”

“First things first. Let’s finish this business. Then we talk about the next.”

“Agreed!”

Thorns felt Ru brush past him, and activated his comm unit. “Mako? Any objections to working for the mirialan?”

There was a pause at the other end. Mako hadn’t forgotten about what Ru had done to the spy on the Black Talon. “No!”

“Okay. He needs a bodyguard for an evening. I’ll take the job.”

“Thorns?”

“Huh?”

“Thanks for asking!” Before he had time to say anything, she continued, “here they come…”

Afterwards Thorns regretted he hadn’t been able to see the look on the first attacker’s face as he realized he had been set up. Ciner had made short shrift of the first two. They’d never hunt anyone again. Ru had captured a third one. The pureblood sat whimpering on the floor while they waited for the security personnel to arrive. If the smell was any indicator the charred half of his face wasn’t the only part of him which had made acquaintance with Ru’s lightning bolts. Thorns swallowed as he thought about the bolt earlier, hitting the beam not far from him. Their second captive had still enough energy left to scream at the top of her lungs. His bolt had shattered her knee. It wouldn’t kill her, but she wouldn’t survive anyway. They had attacked Darth Baras’ apprentice. There could be no doubt about the verdict at the end of their trial. There had been more of them on Renegin’s list. Those wouldn’t dare to continue their game. Wrightsyn would be pleased.

Ciner handed Thorns his jacket back. He paused, narrowing his eyes slightly. “I found some interesting pictures on your datapad.”

Thorns heard Mako’s giggle before she tried to suppress it, not very successfully. “They are none of your business!” he told the Sith.

Ciner stared at him. “You know how I think about people impersonating Imperial nobles. And I don’t care whether they are Republic nobles or not. I will have to talk to this Altaca.”

• 3 weeks later...

@Lunafox: I am really glad you liked the last part as I am not sure how to action. As Thorns is my canon BH the chances of him dying are actually not very high, but sometimes it seems when the boys are rollicking about they won't rest until one of them is crying. Someone had better stop them.

I have not found as much time to write as I wanted too. I had considered to discard what I have written so far, because I wanted to make a bit more progress in the next part. On the other hand, not having anything to post would make no progress at all.

Contains spoilers for BH Dromund Kaas

Dromund Kaas, continuing the last part

“You know Altaca?” Thorns strained to not grab the Sith by the shoulders, and shake him.

Mako’s eyes had grown wide. “My lord, if…”

“Not by that name,” Ciner interrupted her, concentrating on Thorns.

Thorns unclenched his teeth and took a deep breath. “What do you want?”

“For one, you will accept the job as Lord Rufuro’s bodyguard at the dinner party.” He emphasized the honorific. It hadn’t gone unnoticed that Thorns didn’t like paying them the respect the Sith thought their due.

Thorns cast a glance at the mirialan. Lord Ru gave no sign they had already talked about this. Thorns nodded. He had wanted to do it anyway. “Okay.” There would be more. He waited.

“My lord,” Mako hissed under her breath. Thorns ignored her.

“Your friend is wiser than you. You should listen to her more often.” Ciner grinned. “I will tell you Altaca’s alias, I will even arrange a meeting. In return Mako will be Lord Rufuro’s companion at the dinner party.”

“I don’t need a companion!” Ru protested.

“Yes, you do!”

“You never said anything about a companion, nor did you mention yours.”

“That is because I will not have one,” Ciner explained. “Not long ago my fiancee was murdered. I am officially in mourning.” He turned to Mako. “It will be only for the party. It could even be fun. What do you say?”

Thorns opened his mouth to protest, but Mako silenced him with a shake of her head. This was her decision. Nonetheless she hesitated. The furtive glance she gave Ru was full of doubt. “I don’t know,” she said. “Thorns would be there?”

“Of course, he is supposed to be the bodyguard after all.” Ciner smiled in stark contrast to Ru’s face which seemed to grow darker by the minute.

“What about the dress code?” Mako inquired.

Ciner’s smile turned triumphant. “I will procure that Rufuro has you outfitted with something suitable.” In response Ru harrumphed.

Mako looked from one to the other. “I am not familiar with Kaasian etiquette.”

“Neither is he,” Ciner remarked. “See, you are the perfect match for Rufuro.”

“I don’t think this will be necessary!” Ru grumbled. “I should take Khem. That would give them something to talk about.”

“Relax!” Ciner advised him. “We will do this according to protocol. You do not take assassins to dinner parties. It just is not done.” Grinning again he added, “not this openly, at least. We would not need bodyguards at all otherwise.”

“I wish I knew how much of this you’re making up, but fine, we’ll do this your way,” Ru conceded.

Ciner pointed towards Thorns’ jacket. “From what I read on your pad, I surmise you want the man alive.”

Thorns nodded again. “The family wants him back — whole, not in pieces.”

“He is posing as a long lost noble newly returned to his family. I would not want to let this go unpunished”

“I doubt it’s his idea,” Thorns stated. “Somebody had him rescued from the slave camps near the Colossus. Maybe you should have a word with whomever is responsible for that. And the contract says Altaca should have been ransomed back to his family. The contract is sanctioned, by the way, as I am sure you noticed.”

“I know who is responsible. Still Altaca violates the law. The circumstances would allow for exercising leniency, though.”

“But?” Thorns asked with a sinking feeling in his guts.

The last remnants of the smile vanished from Ciner’s face. “Quid pro quo. You will owe me a favor.”

Thorns bit back the cuss. With the information the Sith had given, Mako would be able to find the noble who was Altaca’s alias. They’d find a way to gain access to the man. Ciner would be faster though. He’d be able to prevent Thorns from even showing a body for proof. Thorns needed Altaca and the Sith knew it. “What kind of favor?”

“I will let you know when I come up with something appropriate requiring your unique abilities.” The way the Sith said it one would think Thorns had no abilities worth the effort. He simply enjoyed bullying him. “Or maybe you would prefer me asking a favor of your companion.” The Sith added with a wolfish grin making Mako blush.

She was his weak point and he had been foolish enough to reveal it. This time Thorns wanted to curse himself. He suddenly wondered if Iz had been trying to protect him by not committing to a solid relationship. She had always been smarter than him. “This is between you and me. Leave her out of it.”

“I thought human puberty was supposed to be over at their age,” Ru quipped addressing Mako.

Hesitantly she returned his smile. “I grew up in the company of men, but I heard it’s more complicated with boys.”

“Depriving them of an audience might help. Anyway, if you are to be my companion at the party we should at least try to find out if there is a more sociable side to me.” Ru held out his arm for her. “How about I invite you for dinner now. While these two compare their testosterone levels we can practice our nonexistent table manners.”

Mako actually giggled as she took the offered arm. “I am sure the holonet will help to remedy our ignorance, my lord. And I actually am hungry. I’ll see you later, big guy!” She waved goodbye with her free hand.

“Wait, where are you…” Thorns started.

Ru didn’t let him finish. “I will bring her back to you unharmed.”

“You will keep out of this, Ru!” Ciner growled.

“That’s exactly what I am doing. Right now I am tired of games. I remind you it was your idea Mako be my companion.” With that Ru turned and left, tugging Mako along with him. He whispered something in her ear, and she laughed.

“Great!” Thorns muttered. “When two people quarrel…” he didn’t finish the sentence.

“I prefer ‘He who laughs last…’,” Ciner said.

Thorns hoped that would be him. But Ru and Mako were right, behaving like a pubescent boy would not bring him closer to his goal. “I’d prefer if we’d finish this Altaca business first. One favor!”

• 2 weeks later...

@Lunafox: Mako got that Ru was trying to de-escalate the situation. She is still a bit afraid of him--not without cause. Otherwise I think she's startled by the amount of attention she's receiving. I don't see her as someone without any experience, but I guess many boys/men were discouraged by Braden and his team simply being around.

I am trying to get back in the habit of writing regularly, even if it is only a few minutes and a few sentences. Sentences will add up to a chapter eventually. :D

***************************************************************************************************************************

The following part contains no spoilers.

Meanwhile on Coruscant

A feeling of relief flooded Arkeo despite the door closing behind him. The cell looked not much like a cell. More like a room in a hotel, but cheaper than those, people of her standing preferred to use. Well, she was a noble, and a valuable bargaining chip. She sat in an armchair with its back to the door. The only part of her he could see was her hand holding the datapad she was apparently reading. She didn’t expect visitors, and from what he had been told she usually ignored the personnel.

“Will you ask me to come in?”

“Unless I am mistaken you are already…” Iolith trailed off at the end. The hand with the datapad sank to the armrest. She bent around the backrest to look at him. For a long moment she did nothing else. “Arkeo?” Then, with a glance at the corner above her, where one of the security cameras was installed, she slowly got up and put the datapad down on the seat of the armchair. She wore plain gray trousers and shirt, no makeup, her hair was done in a ponytail at the nape of her neck. Nonetheless she managed to look regal as she glided towards him. She stopped two steps in front of him, hands outstretched to greet him. “Please come in!” A smile played at the corners of her mouth.

Arkeo took a step forward and took her hands. “Thank you! It’s a pleasure to see you again, Lady Zairos.”

“The pleasure is mine, Jedi Arkeo.” She gave his hands a squeeze.

“You are looking good. I take it you are being treated well?”

“Thank you, I can’t complain under the given circumstances.” Io gazed into his eyes. “Between us there is no need to play games. What is wrong? You look tired.”

“I have not had much sleep lately.”

“I take it this isn’t a social call, then. The SIS asked you to talk to me!” She let go of his hands and took a step back. Her smile had vanished. Her inner turmoil was all but palpable through the Force.

“Of course they did. As was to be expected. I would have come sooner to pay you a visit if not for their insistence to help them interrogate you. I finally ran out of excuses to further postpone it.” Arkeo didn’t particularly care who listened in on them. He had been clear about his reluctance.

“Thank you for your candor. But I can’t tell you where those soldiers are anymore than I told them.”

“It’s impossible for me to fully comprehend your situation. I know you are trying to buy time. This is one reason I waited. How long do you intend to wait?”

Her chin jerked up. “No, you really don’t comprehend my situation!”

“The woman I got to know did not leave the impression she was one to wait for others to decide her fate.”

“The woman I am has not much opportunities right now.”

Arkeo held out his hand to her. “I am afraid I can’t offer you much help. Would you be willing to meditate with me? Maybe the Force will offer us guiding.”

After a short hesitation Iolith put her hand in his and nodded.

“There won’t be the need to disturb us,” Arkeo declared in the direction of one of the security cameras. He sat down on the floor in the middle of the cell, pulling Iolith down to a position in front of him. She looked at him, unasked questions plain on her face. “This will be a simpler meditation than the last,” he explained.

In truth it would be a ritual as much as the last one, but the SIS didn’t need to know. He doubted they would recognize it. Most Jedi would have difficulties to recognize it if they were present. They’d feel, maybe even see, the flows of the Force, yet it would be hard for them to tell what he was doing. As it was impossible to capture the flows of the Force on a recording of any kind, it was safe to assume nobody would learn what they were about to do. He wasn’t sure about the Jedi Order, but the SIS’s disapproval was a given. As much as he didn’t like to deceive them, he had no intention to drag this business out for their. The faster he was done here, the faster he could get back to solving the puzzle of his master’s illness. This was the only chance to help Io.

Concentrating on the Force he synchronized his breathing with Iolith’s. Holding both of her hands firmly in his, his mind danced through the required steps. He guided the flows of the Force and the Force guided him in return. His heart filled with light and warmth. Emotion, yet peace. Iolith became the focus of his thoughts. Ignorance, yet knowledge. The familiar calmness of meditation flooded his mind, slowing time to a crawl, raising the veil off the subconscious. Passion, yet serenity. Every fiber of their beings pulsed with the rhythm of the Force. Chaos, yet harmony. After a deep breath Arkeo exhaled, and as the breath left his lungs, his self stepped beyond the boundaries of his body. Death, yet the Force.

Fog surrounded them when Arkeo opened his eyes. “How are you feeling?”

Iolith blinked, then took a look around. “Good—I guess.” Regret resonated in her voice. She looked down at her hands. “A bit incorporeal.”

“This isn’t as intricate as what we did last time,” Arkeo said with an apologetic smile. “I am tired and we do not have much time.”

She lifted a hand to caress his cheek. He cupped it with his own and after a moment placed a kiss on her palm. The sensation came more from knowing what the touch felt like than actual feeling. “This will have to do to refresh my memories of the time we spent together. Right now I am thankful for every little bit to help me stay sane.”

“So far your outward composure serves to fool those around you.”

“It’s frustrating. I can’t act without information. I can’t get information without acting first.”

“I fear I do not have access to the information you need. Apart from that I would be glad to listen to you and offer my advice if it is wanted. As long as it does not affect the Republic’s safety, I will treat any information you impart confidential.”

“That leaves a lot room for interpretation.”

“It does. It is important you know.”

Iolith sighed. “I am a passable pilot. I have navigated a number of asteroid fields, gotten weapon deliveries through mine fields, evaded the fire from AA cannons to keep people from starving. I loved it. Adrenaline is my middle name. But this…” She took a deep breath. “This time I am flying blind. And it kriffin’ freaks me out. There are worse things than dying, Arkeo. And if I make the wrong decision I’ll be able to write about them in my memoirs.” Her grip on his hands tightened.

Arkeo swallowed. Blue was a beautiful color. He had to try. “There is the option for you to stay. I hope you realize that. I’d be able to help you if you chose to.” He wanted her to stay. Deep in his heart he also knew that she wasn’t the reason he had left Mirial. The situation did not allow for him to make promises to her.

She smiled at him, tears in her eyes. “I have an obligation as much as you do. Despite everything Republic propaganda teaches you, I know, you’ll believe me, when I tell you, there are a lot of people in the Empire who love their children, too. If I stayed I wouldn’t be able to make much of a difference. At home I’ll have a position of influence. The Empire needs to change. That won’t happen if everyone opposing the status quo leaves. War may be inevitable. But that’s just one more reason I can’t give up my purpose.”

“It pains me we will stand on different sides.”

“Unless you plan to invade Dromund Kaas chances we will meet on the battlefield will be scarce.”

“At least a small consolation.”

“If I manage to get back there and fortify my position that is.”

“Will you tell me of your plans hereof?”

Iolith bit her lip, then she nodded. “I will, but I need you to deliver a message for me to Nar Shaddaa.”

“I am afraid I can’t do that, not now. My master’s life may depend on my task here. I cannot afford to travel to Nar Shaddaa and back. Even if such a voyage would not raise unwanted attention and questions.”

She pondered his answer for a moment. “Do you think you’d be able to get a bank assistant to accept a transaction to a certain bank on Nar Shaddaa in my mother’s name?”

Arkeo’s brows drew together. “I might be able to do that under the pretense of accessing my own account. I don’t like to influence other’s mind without proper cause, though.”

“I know my father and sisters are dead, and Grand Moff Kilran claims he arranged a marriage contract. A good catch as far as Force blinds are concerned. It would be hard to find one with more influence. I am certain you noticed he belongs to the faction strongly in favor of a new war. All his good table manners and dancing skills can’t balance that.” She noticed the look he gave her. “What? I know him. Of course I do. I assure you, he can be quite charming. His presence is certainly commanding. Anyway political differences make for a bad foundation of a mariage de convenance.”

“I suppose the message I am going to send isn’t about turning him down?”

“Indeed it isn’t. If I want to turn him down I need a strong supporter. Or even better someone who has also a stronger claim, and is willing to marry me. I want you to send my proposal.”

“To whom?” Arkeo knew he would not like the answer. She was going to sell herself to a Sith.

Oh, that Lady Zairos is a live one. I like her take on Kilran, and you know, I can see him being quite charming and fascinating in a social situation with the right people. :D I'm curious as to what her game plan is...or rather if it's going to work out the way she hopes.

Good stuff! Looking forward to the next bit! :)

• 1 month later...

@Lunafox: Kilran was definitely one of Iolith's more interesting suitors. She might have even been tempted to accept his proposal had her father not approved of a connection quite so much :D

Back to Dromund Kaas it is. After the first paragraph took me forever, the rest followed in two days. Maybe I should wait and edit it tomorrow, but I feel like posting it now. I hope I didn't make too many mistakes.

Spoilers for BH Dromund Kaas and SI's master

Dromund Kaas, a few days later

Thorns nearly shot the window. Damned reflection. The fresh coat of paint on his armor was barely dry. Red and white, matching colors to what Rufuro would be wearing. Their taxi was due any time now. Thorns glanced at his chrono. He had handed Ungry over to the sitter, Chrysta had organized, two hours ago. There had been hardly a sound from the adjoining room since. Mako was getting dressed. He smiled. Mako had had that alarmed look on her face when the seamstress and her army of hairdressers, manicurists, and what-not had descended upon her. Thorns shook his head. The more people there were to help, the longer it apparently took to get ready. What were they karking doing in there? Small wonder the payment for the job would hardly cover the cost for the paint, if Rufuro spent this many credits on Mako.

Thorns would be willing to pay whatever was left of the money if he were able to move time ahead to tomorrow. He didn’t dread the dinner. Mako would be doing more in the line of actually participating than he would. He’d be standing in the back, trying to look — what exactly? Impressive? He eyed his reflection. He had seen worse. Whomever Ciner was bringing, would be wearing armor that would look immaculate, though. In Thorns’ world nobody wore shiny armor. Shiny armor said you were a rookie with too much money. Chances were you survived from midday till noon. Kark! Outer appearances mattered, but the rules changed. Even in the Mandalorian Enclave he stood out most of the time. The Mandalorians were in some ways worse than the Sith. Their attitude would change once he had won the Great Hunt!

He checked the street for signs of their taxi. He wasn’t nervous, just impatient. If not for the kriffing dinner he’d be already on his way to Lord Grathan’s estate in the jungle outside of Kaas City. His next task was to eliminate one of the Sith Lord’s apprentices. Vereta Fraabaal would be the first Sith he’d kill. Once again Tarro Blood had used his connections to make sure Thorns got one of the more difficult tasks. This time the Mandalorian had outsmarted himself, though. The actual mission details were secret. There was no way Blood would be interfering this time. No band of Imperials waiting for Thorns to take him out. He had almost been flattered when he had discovered the reception committee waiting for him in the cantina’s hallway when he went to the Nexus Room to collect Altaca. Blood must have dug deep into his pockets to bribe the officials. Thorns should not have been able to escape that trap. Either they would have killed him, or he would have killed them, conviction as a murderer inclusive. For once Thorns had welcomed Ciner’s company. The Sith had left enough survivors for the tale to spread. Bribes would be more expensive from now on.

Two black Desler landspeeders turned the corner and stopped in front of their hotel. People on the sidewalks stared. Thorns donned his helmet and left his room. He knocked at the door to Mako’s room. “Ready?” The door slid open and out filed the seamstress an her entourage. They ignored him as they left down the stairs, careful not to touch the handrail. “Mako?”

She stepped into the door frame. He took full advantage of the fact she couldn’t see his face. The dress was of an intense shimmering red. The fabric managed the impossible task to flow around and cling to her slender curves at the same time. Mako took a small step, insecure on the high heeled shoes peeking out below the dress’ hem. She gave him a wide-eyed stare, apparently waiting for his reaction. They had done something to her eyes, no, her whole face looked different. She sometimes used make-up, sparingly. Now her lips shone in the same red as her dress. The enamel on her fingernails also matched the color. Had the nails been this long earlier? Her hair had been pinned-up elaborately. A wave of it curled over her implants, hiding them almost completely. He would have walked right past her if he had met her somewhere on the street.

“Don’t you like it?”

He searched for the right words, but they kept eluding him. “You look great.”

“You don’t like it. Is it too revealing?”

Thorns cocked his head. True, the dress showed off the curves at her waist and hips, but it rather concealed her bosom in drapes of fabric. “I am just speechless. You look so different. I like it, though. And it’s not too reveal…” She had turned around by then. The fabric draped at the back, too. Only it did so with a much lower neckline. Was it called a neckline if it was more of a buttline? He had to clear his throat. Had they glued the dress to her shoulders? She better not risk sneezing. “Guess I’ll be guarding you instead of the Sith.”

Thorns peeked at the woman out of the corner of his eye. He had been right. Her armor, sporting house Ignis’ various hues of red, was impeccable. The way she carried herself she’d survive past noon anyway. She hadn’t said much apart from ordering him to switch to her com channel. Now she tensed. He scanned the crowd. Everything looked like before. “What?” He was clearly missing something.

She shook her head ever so slightly. “Nothing.” Her stance relaxed somewhat, but not completely.

Thorns panned his gaze over the assembled high society of Dromund Kaas once more. There! The host was chatting with a group of people ten paces closer to them than before. “Trouble?”

“Nothing for us to interfere in,” Ciner’s bodyguard replied before she opened her com channel to address the two Sith seated at the table in front of them. “Lord Morgon on 4, some riffraff blocking his way, ETA 15.” The contempt in her voice matched her master’s attitude.

Thorns looked at the people she had called riffraff. What word would she use for him? Or even Rufuro?

“Thank you for the warning, Marun!” Ciner replied. Rufuro hid his balled fists beneath the table. Mako’s eyes widened in alarm. She had good instincts. Ciner leaned over to whisper something in her ear. His voice was too soft for Thorns to hear what he had said, now the com channel was closed again, but when the Sith sat back his hand was resting on Mako’s. Her chest rose when she took a deep breath. She exhaled, nodded, and smiled at Ciner, who smiled back. The gray haired Sith was clad in black robes, their cut and sheen speaking of wealth. The slashes at the sides of his skirt were underlaid with blue fabric in honor of his late fiancee. The way he looked at Mako, though, gave no evidence he was in mourning.

“Stop fidgeting, hunter!” Marun hissed. “Pay attention to your side of the room!”

Thorns bit back his reply. She was right. So far Ciner had behaved himself. Mako was safe as long as they both kept trouble away from them.

Ciner and Ru rose as Lord Morgon approached the table. With a hand on her shoulder, careful not to touch her skin, Ciner restrained Mako from getting up. Both men bowed their heads to the host who in return bowed, too.

“The top graduates of Korriban’s latest classes. It’s been joyous news to learn of your success after our last conversation was cut short.” The grandfatherly smile didn’t reach Morgon’s eyes.

“A success indeed,” Ciner said with a glance in Ru’s direction. The Mirialan’s skin had adopted a grayish tinge, but he stood straight, fingers unclenched. They were not talking about their trials. “We are honored by your invitation, my lord.” And of course they would honor their contract.

“I am pleased you found the time to accept my invitation. I take it your masters are keeping you busy. The city is already full of rumors of your exploits.”

“Our real training has only just begun, as it should be. I am certain there will be more room to partake in social events once we have properly settled into our new roles.” They would acquire Morgon’s payment as soon as their masters let them off the leash.

“As it should be.” Morgon approved before he turned his attention to Mako. “And whom does this lovely young lady belong to?”

Ru cleared his throat. “May I introduce you to my companion Mako, my lord? Mako, this is Lord Morgon.”

Mako jutted her chin up as Morgon’s stare bored through her. Ciner twitched, ready to interfere, but Morgon chuckled. “Lovely, indeed.” Morgon bent over Mako’s hand to indicate a kiss. The Sith Lord’s eyes sparkled when he straightened. “Rufuro’s companion. Who would have thought! Maybe I just gave up too early in finding a girl to pique his interest.”

Rufuro made a strangled sound. All color had drained from his face. Rage was boiling through their bond. Ciner strained to keep it under control.

A hand appeared on Ru’s arm. “Apprentice, here you are! I see, you are enjoying yourself.”

Rufuro gasped as if doused with a bucket of cold water. The rage dissolved. “Master!”

Morgon shifted his attention to the newcomer. “Lord Zash! What a pleasant surprise!” They bowed their heads in greeting.

“Forgive me for not acknowledging your invitation, Lord Morgon. One of my servants must have misplaced it. Acceptable personnel is incredibly hard to come by.” Zash’s smile was sickeningly sweet. She had waited for the perfect moment to intervene.

“Indeed, my dear, it is!” Morgon looked like he was biting into an extra sour lemon. After Morgon was done with whomever was responsible for letting Zash enter without an invitation would wish he’d never been born.

“If I may have a private word with you and my apprentice, my lord?”

Morgon nodded. “Of course, please follow me.”

Rufuro motioned for Thorns to stay. After a nod in Ciner’s direction he trailed Morgon and his Master.

Ciner exhaled deeply when they were out of earshot. That had been close.

“What was that about?” Mako probed timidly.

“Nothing to be concerned about. Rufuro and Lord Morgon go back a long way. I think Lord Zash is going to ascertain Lord Morgon will remember whose apprentice Rufuro is now.”

“She is a beautiful woman.”

He looked her in the eyes. “She is a very dangerous woman. As for beautiful, I did not notice. Though I have to admit, I might have been distracted.”

The make up didn’t conceal her blush. “That’s too kind of you to say.”

“It is only the truth. I knew red would suit you!”

She stopped short, her brows drew together in thought. “Now I know why Rufuro looked so astonished. This wasn’t the dress he ordered.”

“For which all of us should be thankful, believe me.”

“I believe I should go and search for my companion.” She started to rise.

In the blink of an eye he was behind her chair, pulling it back slightly, and offering her his arm to get up. She shrank away but caught herself. Glowering she took the offered help. “Please do not be angry,” he pleaded. “If my intentions were anything but pure, I would not have told you it was me who had the dress made.”

“You let it slip, an accident.”

“Now you are insulting my intellect.”

“I saw you on Vaiken Spacedock. Several times. You’ll forgive me if I doubt the pureness of your intentions.”

He chuckled. “Tonight I will forgive you everything.”

“Everything?” she asked with a raised eyebrow. It was the one without the implant, he noted.

“Everything!” He winked. “Except…”

“Except?”

He dropped his gaze before looking at her through his lashes. His green eyes had made many a woman change her mind. “Please grant me this dance.”

“No, I…”

“Please…” he interrupted her, his voice a mere whisper.

She blushed again. “I’m sorry, but I don’t know how to dance these dances.”

“Then we are fortunate.” He beamed at her. “I am proficient enough for two. Just follow my lead. Please say yes.” He took both her hands in his. She inspected the front of her dress. “Do not worry,” he assured her, “I ordered a dress with enough legroom.”

With a shaking of her head she turned her frown into a smile. “You have an answer for everything, haven’t you?”

No news was good news. Rufuro had left the room with his master and the host. Since he had ordered Thorns to stay where he was, that was what he’d do. Rufuro should be safe with his master. Mako was talking to Ciner. She had taken a few steps in the direction Rufuro had gone, but Ciner had stopped her. They had some kind of an argument. The Sith was all smiles, though. Thorns caught himself wishing it were different. Stupid! They were both here to work. Mako’s job was the less pleasant by far. No need to wish for worse.

Marun opened the channel to the Sith. “What do you think you’re doing?” Her tone had lost all deference.

“Relax! You will not begrudge me one dance, will you?”

“Ciner, we talked about this.”

“Right now I have two guards. You want to tell me, you are not up to the task?”

She mumbled something that sounded close to ‘damned Sith’, but Thorns might have misheard. “Stay to this end of the dance floor!” she ordered.

“The most dangerous part will be to find a safe place to put my hand.”

Mako’s eyes widened in alarm, but they had already reached the dance floor.

A sentence appeared on his HUD. “Do you think she will prefer above or below the cut?”

Thorns bolted forward. Ciner and Mako had already vanished between the other dancers. He stopped short.

Marun followed him, cursing. “What’s wrong? Can’t see anything.” Guards to their left and right exchanged alarmed glances.

Of course the message had been only for him. “I’ll kill him if he touches Mako.” His growl would have done a Manka cat proud.

Marun grabbed his arm. “He can be an ******e sometimes, but he won’t hurt your friend. Get back to your position!”

Had she just called her boss an ******e? “There’s not much I’d put past him.”

“He likes her. He’d not have spent a fortune for that dress otherwise.”

“Wait! HE paid for the dress?” Force, of course, how could he have missed it.

“Seems he’s not the only one who likes her.”

“She’s my slicer. If anything happens to her, I am done for.”

“One more reason to get back to your position, and keep your eyes open.”

She was right. There was nothing else to do. He’d have to find a way to deal with Ciner’s taunts. It was way to easy for the Sith to get under his skin. They returned to their former positions and waited.

“Do you see them?” Marun sounded worried.

“No. Why are we expecting trouble on the dance floor?”

“With all those people close to each other, Ciner won’t be able to catch single emotions through the Force. Those enjoying themselves will mask malevolent intentions of any assassin. If I were planning an attack I’d do it there.”

Thorns filed the useful information. “What am I looking for?”

“Anything.”

“Great.”

“Exactly. There they are.” Marun had spotted them first.

They whirled past in a flurry of black and red. Mako was laughing, obviously having fun. The back of Ciner’s hand touched Mako’s shoulder blade, and she seemed to be okay with it. Ciner winked in his direction. ******e! Marun tensed every time the dancing couple disappeared from their sight. She shook her head slightly when Ciner didn’t return after the first dance. Even after the third she didn’t try to argue with the Sith, though.

The band paused after the fourth dance. People milled about the dance floor. Personnel offered refreshments to the dancers. Thorns tried to keep track of everyone in his half of the room. He lacked training. Until now he had never seen this many people in one place. Something tickled at the back of his mind. One of the waiters caught his attention. While the others walked from one group to the next, stopping often to offer the glasses on the trays they carried, this one passed several groups of people without stopping. There were glasses on his tray, but he clutched one in his hand not holding the tray.

“What’s that waiter doing there?”

“Position?”

“Kark! He’s heading right for them.” Thorns opened the com channel. “Waiter from nine. No visual weapons.” His guts clenched. There were too many people in between.

While he started to sprint to the dance floor, Marun opened the broadcast channel to the other guards. “Suspicious waiter on dance floor, we’re going in.”

Without her information the others might have mistaken Thorns for an attacker. Ciner and Mako were heading back in his direction. Other dancers started to leave the dance floor in a hurry. There had to be a drawback to Marun’s broadcast. Order fled fastest. In the remaining chaos Thorns saw the waiter flashing between the bodies blocking his view. He caught a glimpse of Ciner who had shoved Mako behind his back. Maybe he wasn’t such a big ******e after all. Stumbling past the last dancers Thorns drew his weapons. The waiter jumped and Thorns shot. His bolts left smoking holes in the man’s unarmored body. The waiter stopped midair. Ciner clenched a fist in front of his face, gripping the attacker with the Force. Thorns had seen him do this on the Brentaal Star. The waiter hadn’t been jumping after all. The dead man’s hand opened. The glass he had been holding followed its given trajectory.

The rattle of the glass breaking was followed by Mako’s scream.

Edited by frauzet

Nice cliffhanger :D That was some party, I loved the descriptions and build up. You had to know something big was about to go down. Also enjoyed the little barbs and jealousy between the guys. Mako's dress sounds amazing. Looking forward to the next part! :)

• 2 months later...

I am still here, but I have been neglecting my writing during the last few weeks. I obviously need to rethink my priorities!

To get back into the habit of writing I have to start again somewhere, so I'll post this short piece that's been resisting any attempts to get it into a state where I am pleased with it.

No spoilers, immediately following the events of the previous part.

The resuscitating ventilator whirred softly. Mako still refused to breathe. Kark! Where was the damned med-team they were waiting for? Thorns didn’t know what to do next. But if he didn’t know, then the med-team wouldn’t either. He knew what to do in an emergency. He’d helped Doc often enough. If not for his background they would have assigned him to his MO back on Ord. He started to feel the strain in his arms from the cardiac massage. The stims from the medkit hadn’t had any effect. The portable defibrillator’s charges were spent. Whatever had hit Mako counteracted the resuscitation. Marun was probably right. Something had affected Mako’s implants. The implants were what she had in common with Ciner. Eight, nine, ten,…

Thorns shot a glance at the Sith standing guard a few meters away from them. Marun had forbidden him to come closer, and for once the Sith obeyed his bodyguard. If he had done so earlier Mako would still be alive. Thorns shook his head and concentrated on the right rhythm to compress Mako’s chest. Later would still be time to hate the @sshole. Right now he had better things to do. Marun claimed to be an expert on implant technology, yet so far she didn’t know what they were dealing with. The assassin’s glass had contained water, as far as a portable scanner had told. Neither he nor Marun had been affected while treating Mako. Fourteen, fifteen, sixteen…

Mako — for a moment the universe had been reduced to the sound of her scream — until it had stopped. He didn’t believe in any higher being guarding them, but in the silence after her scream he had prayed nonetheless. A prayer for her to continue screaming. Screaming meant she was still alive. The realization how much he already needed her was frightening, but there it was. He needed her. She wouldn’t get away this easy. He had saved Nik, back when he had had the fever. He had saved him despite reason and what everybody said. He wouldn’t give up on Mako. Twenty, twenty one, twenty two…

“How long?” Someone inquired. The voice belonged to Rufuro. Thorns didn’t look up and he didn’t hear the answer. He knew the answer was ‘too long’.

“Get away from her!”

Thorns registered Rufuro’s harsh command only dimly. It was followed by a surprisingly soft touch on his shoulder. He growled when he shook the hand off.

“We don’t have much time. Your method isn’t working. Let me try!”

Thorns looked up at the inquisitor. “What? What do you want to do? What’s your experience with healing people instead of killing them?” He made a short pause for the resuscitating ventilator to pump fresh air into Mako’s lungs, before he continued to compress her chest.

Rufuro’s eyes widened, then his brows drew together. Sparks sprang and sizzled between his fingertips. The Sith took a deep breath and closed his eyes. The sparks stopped. When he opened his eyes again he looked at Thorns without blinking. “You are right. I am not a healer. I am an inquisitor. I am proficient in extracting the truth. I am proficient in hurting people.” He shrugged. Low-voiced he continued. “There are a lot of things that can make a heart stop beating. Sometimes you just overdo things. Anyway, if you haven’t learned yet, what you need to learn, you have to bring the questionee back.” His gaze settled on Mako’s face, his expression unreadable. “It won’t be pretty, but it’s worth a try. You don’t have to give her up just yet.”

Give her up? Thorns wasn’t giving her up! He… what was he going to do? He had run out of options. The Sith was right. If he had the means to bring her back, it was worth a try. He nodded reluctantly. “Okay, what can I do to help?”

“Stay out of the way, no matter what happens!”

Thorns made room for the Inquisitor, but despite his best efforts Marun and Ciner had to hold him back, once Mako’s body started to convulse under a rain of lightning. When it stopped, Rufuro told the others to release him. In an instant he knelt by Mako’s side. The skin around her implants looked blistered and burned, but her chest was moving. Mako was breathing, she was alive! Marun was starting to run scans and looked worried, but Mako was alive. “What happened? What did you do to her? Will she recover?”

The Mirialan shrugged. “Something blocked the energy, I had to use considerable voltage. She’ll need a kolto tank. Your first aid should have helped to prevent damage to her brain. I don’t know what damage I did to her implants. I hope Marun will find out.” He exchanged a glance with the bodyguard, who nodded in return. “I am neither trained nor do I have a talent for healing. I’m unable to answer your last question.”

“I will take her to my father’s estate immediately,” Ciner stated. “I am responsible for the incident. She’ll get all the help House Ignis can offer.”

Thorns tried to fight his rising anger. “Yes, you are responsible. But she isn’t your property. You can’t just decide what happens with her.”

Ciner opened his mouth, but Marun was faster. “Mako doesn’t have time for discussions now. A private shuttle is already on its way. Let us get her into a kolto tank. We can sort out the rest later.”

Ciner took a deep breath. “Please let me help, hunter.”

Thorns ignored him and addressed Marun instead. “You are right. I’ll accompany you.”

Small spoiler for BH Dromund Kaas.

Dromund Kaas, Estate of House Ignis, a short while after the previous part

Ungry squealed in delight as he hopped from Vette’s arm to Thorns’. The monkey-lizard lost no time and started to search for a treat in his breast pocket. A rain of toothpicks hit the floor before Thorns was able to stop the little guy. “Sorry, Ungry, don’t have any treats with me.”

“Ungry treat?” Black button eyes looked for another pocket, but he body suit didn’t have that many.

Vette retrieved a box from her bag — Ungry’s treats. She handed them over. “I thought you might need these.”

“Thank you!” The corners of Thorns’ mouth twitched in a poor imitation of a smile. “And thanks for fetching Ungry from the sitter.”

“Don’t mention it. How’s your friend?”

Thorns turned towards the kolto tank. Monotonous beeps accompanied the readouts from the life monitor on Mako’s wrist. “No change.” Ungry hopped down and scampered off to examine the tank.

Vette gave Thorns’ shoulder a soft squeeze. “That’s a good sign!”

He patted her hand but said nothing. Things could have been worse, that was the only thing good about it.

“Aaaakoooo?” Ungry searched for a way to reach her, scratching the surface of the tank and pulling on cables.

Thorns picked him up before the maltreatment of the tank intensified. “Yeah, I wish we could get her out of there, too.” He ran his fingers through the ruffle of red hair on the monkey-lizard’s neck. After some initial struggling the little guy started to make a purring sound. “That’s better. Chewing through the cables won’t help.”

“Why don’t you try to get some sleep. There’s a cot in the next room. I’ll keep watch until Marun returns,” Vette offered. “You can leave Ungry with me.”

The colors outside the window had changed from mostly black to various shades of gray. Thorns had to check his chrono to get an idea what time it was. Most of the night was over. He’d need his wits if he had to go to Grathan’s estate without Mako’s help. He didn’t want to, but he’d have to leave her in a few hours anyway. He might as well get some sleep, so he’d be able to fulfill his task. Mako wouldn’t want him to throw in the towel. She’d never forgive him if he gave up now. Reluctantly Thorns nodded. “Thanks!” He handed Vette the treats back and Ungry followed without a fuss. “Will you wake me if there’s a change?”

“Of course! Go, get some sleep!”

With a last glance at Mako inside the kolto tank Thorns left the room. The cot wasn’t big, but he wasn’t spoiled. He had removed the armor plates earlier and the body suit was comfortable. He didn’t lose much time worrying before he fell asleep.

A dim shimmer of gray drifted in through a gap in the blinds. Thorns needed a moment to recognize his surroundings. The room was still dark, but that meant nothing here on Dromund Kaas. Beginning dawn on Tatooine was brighter than noon here. He yawned. The door to the adjoining room was still slightly ajar just like he had left it. Vette hadn’t called him yet. He fumbled for the button to light his chrono. Squinting made it still mid-morning, time to get up.

“Thank you for letting me sleep, Vette!” he mumbled in between some more yawns. But when he entered the other room it wasn’t Vette who glanced up at him. “What are you doing here?”

Ciner sat on the floor in the middle of the room, legs crossed, eyes closed. “Until you disturbed me, I was meditating.” The Sith opened his eyes to look at him.

Meditation was a Jedi-thing. Thorns hadn’t known Sith did it, too. With a quick glance he checked the kolto tank. It looked the same as when he went to sleep. “I thought…” he started. Did he need to explain himself? This was the Sith’ home, or at least his family’s. Mako needed the kolto tank. “Vette said, I could sleep next door. She said she’d keep watch.”

“I sent her to bed. I will need her later.”

“Where is Ungry?”

“The beast-master’s apprentice is watching him. He didn’t want to stay with me.”

“Wonder why,” Thorns mumbled turning towards the tank, already scolding himself for his remark.

The Sith let it slide. “Marun checked the readouts earlier. Mako is stable.”

Stable. Maybe that was good after all. Her slender form with the breath mask looked so fragile floating in the kolto. “I wish I could do something for her.” Thorns raised his hand as if to touch her just to let it sink in frustration. There was nothing he could do. He didn’t notice the Sith had gotten up until he stood beside him.

“Looks can be deceiving. She is strong, she is a fighter.” Ciner stated.

“Yeah, but will it be enough?”

“Put your hand on the tank!” the Sith told him.

Thorns turned his head for an astonished look at Ciner. “Why?”

“Just do it.”

Thorns brows rose in question, but the Sith waited. So he pressed his palm against the transparisteel. The surface was smooth and warm. Of course, the kolto would be heated to body temperature. “Now what?”

The Sith placed his hand over Thorns’. “Shush! Keep still!” he told him when Thorns started to pull his hand away. “What do you feel?”

Was it a trick question or just stupid? “The tank?”

“What about my hand?” The Sith grinned. “I can tell it irritates you considerably.”

Thorns glared at him but didn’t give in to the urge to pull his own hand away.

“The dark side of the Force is fueled by emotions, especially negative and strong ones. Many Sith, like me, are able to feed off the emotions of others. The habit to try and arouse those emotions in others is hard to break once it has become second nature. Forgive me, it was not my intention to do so now.”

“What is your intention then?” Irritation made room for confusion which didn’t change anything about Thorns’ mistrust.

“You may be a Force blind, still the Force runs through you, like it does through Mako. It connects all living beings. I can sense both of you through the Force. Even though you are not able to apperceive this connection, it is real nonetheless. You feel the touch of my hand.” The Sith raised his hand slightly. “Even now you can feel the warmth radiating from it.”

Thorns nodded, even though he wasn’t sure he understood what the Sith was trying to tell him.

“Like body heat every one of us radiates a Force aura. And though most are not able to see or feel these auras, and there is nothing like infra-red goggles to make them visible, some subconscious part is aware anyhow. When you entered the room, when you put your hand on the tank, I felt a change in Mako’s aura. She knows you are here.” Ciner placed his hand once more atop Thorns’. “Think of the moments you saw her laugh, imagine her being well again. She’ll appreciate the encouragement!” With a curt nod the Sith turned and left.

“Like body heat every one of us radiates a Force aura. And though most are not able to see or feel these auras, and there is nothing like infra-red goggles to make them visible, some subconscious part is aware anyhow. When you entered the room, when you put your hand on the tank, I felt a change in Mako’s aura. She knows you are here.” Ciner placed his hand once more atop Thorns’. “Think of the moments you saw her laugh, imagine her being well again. She’ll appreciate the encouragement!”

Awwwww...

Edited by bright_ephemera

I'm glad you have updated your story.

Many Sith, like me, are able to feed off the emotions of others. The habit to try and arouse those emotions in others is hard to break once it has become second nature.

That explains so much. It is often hard to get along with them. Even the nice ones. Ciner is remarkable thoughtful.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your feedback. As much as I like to write this story, it is great to know there is someone else who enjoys reading it :D

That explains so much. It is often hard to get along with them. Even the nice ones. Ciner is remarkable thoughtful.

I don't know whether this is in line with official canon or not. I am trying to make sense of some things for myself.

Ciner's thoughtfulness can be blamed on Marun, who cared for him after his mother's death. She is not highborn, and though Ciner still thinks himself superior to Force-blinds, Marun managed to instill in him a sense of responsibility for those he deems himself superior to.

I'm glad to see the recent updates and awwww, poor Ungry missing Mako......and that last part, just the sweetest thing. I'm eager to see how things are when Mako wakes.

I have not been able to make as much progress as I wanted, but I will get there eventually ;)

Spoilers for all Imperial classes Dromund Kaas

Dromund Kaas, a short while after the previous part

Ungry was playing a game of fetch. It wasn’t clear, though, if Ungry or the boy he was playing with was supposed to do the fetching. Both were engrossed in their game. Thorns couldn’t help but smile.

“If you want to thank Jurian once you’re back, I have a bag of his favorite sweets.” Marun stood beside him.

Thorns nodded. He was grateful he’d be able to leave Ungry in the care of the boy. A bag of sweets. What did this make of him? He took advantage of slavery, didn’t he? The fact that the boy would be doing harder work if it were not for Ungry, did only do so much to silence Thorns’ conscience. Working with the Mandalorians meant working for the Empire. He had seen slavery on Tatooine as well as Hutta. It hadn’t kept him from working for the Hutts. He wasn’t here to change the system.

“I don’t know when I’ll be back. Is it okay to call you once my job is done? You won’t reach me until then.”

“Of course.”

Marun had arranged a ride to Kaas City for him. From there he’d set out to reach his mark on Grathan’s estate. Without Mako’s help that would be much harder than anticipated.

Ciner took in the room as he entered with Vette on his heels. “The hunter left?”

Marun looked up from her monitor. “Just a few minutes ago. He wasn’t sure when he’ll be back.”

“I will also be leaving now. I intend to be back ere father’s return.”

“I’d appreciate it, if you told him yourself why I failed to properly protect his heir.” Her brows crept towards her hairline.

“He is well aware I do not make your task an easy one.”

“As I am well aware he expects me to fulfill it nonetheless.”

“You have not forgiven me yet,” Ciner observed.

Marun shook her head. “I’ve not forgiven myself.”

A pang of guilt made him drop his gaze when he saw the disappointment in hers. He did not like it when she made him feel like he was still five years old. She had never beaten him. Not once. There were countless times when he would have gladly accepted a switching to escape her gaze, though. Out of the corner of his eyes a catch-line on her monitor caught his attention. “What is that news about Grathan?”

Marun turned to the monitor and enlarged the banner showing Kaas City Net News’ headlines. “It’s been all over KCNN the whole morning.” She harrumphed. “One more Sith Lord who thinks too much of himself. The Council should do something about him soon. If he gathers any more followers he’ll be a serious threat. And his estate isn’t that far off.”

“That is nothing new.” Grathan had been holed up on his compound for some time now. There had been half-hearted attempts to bring the rogue Sith to justice. None of them had succeeded. If influential people like Baras operated against those attempts, failure wasn’t surprising. Baras had told Ciner he didn’t want Grathan killed, only crippled. Ciner’s master obviously took advantage of the distraction Grathan provided, just like he did with the slave revolt. What were Baras plans, though? It was too early to ask him. It had to be something big. The Council had to be kept from noticing or even interfering.

Ciner concentrated on the headline. Apparently there had been some kind of attack the previous night. “Do they say what’s happened?”

“Some researcher, or scientist, was killed last night. Grathan blames the Council, and promises retaliation. The Council denies any involvement. I guess they wouldn’t kill one single researcher if they decided to take action, would they?”

“Yes,” Ciner agreed absentmindedly. The incident would complicate matters. Baras’s other apprentice had provided floor plans and guard schedules. Most certainly there would be changes to security now. The pictures from the borders of the estate didn’t look different from those a few days ago. The Council continued its siege for now, still withholding from an outright attack. As long as there was no actual fighting inside the compound, the floor plans would not have been altered by barricades, sealed doors, or similar measures.

“Is everything okay?”

“Of course,” Ciner hastened to assure Marun. Were he allowed to tell her about his task, doing so would only serve to make her worry even more about him than she already did. “Just considering to take a detour. It might take me a bit longer to get back. If father is here before I am, tell him Mako saved me, and Morgon already apologized to me. Father will want to talk to him anyway. That should keep him occupied until I am back.”

Marun nodded. The wrinkles on her forehead told him she was still concerned. She wasn’t Force-sensitive, she just knew him too well.

“I will go in alone!” Rufuro let the macrobinoculars sink.

<That is an unwise decision!> Khem’s disapproval pulsated through the Force.

“It is a decision, that much is true.”

<When you die, I will be free!”>

“Don’t celebrate just yet.”

The Dashade grumbled something unintelligible before he disappeared between the trees to keep watch as instructed.

It would have been good to have some company to guard his back. Khem was bound to him. Ru did not have an explanation, but the Dashade lacked the ability to hurt him. Nonetheless Khem’s presence still made his hair stand on end. Grathan’s compound would be hard enough to breach without his instincts being distracted. Rendering himself invisible was one thing, doing so with the Dashade another. His chances of sneaking in unseen would be much higher if he went alone. Otherwise he would have asked Ciner for help. Or maybe he would not have done that. He was here to retrieve a device to destroy cyborg elements. Ru had seen Ciner in a state where his implants hadn’t worked. This device threatened not only Skotia but every Cyborg. It threatened Ciner.

Edited by frauzet

Finally catching up on my reading! I really liked Thorn's inner thoughts in this, where he considered slavery and the bag of sweets. I think it shows some good insight into his character, and how he feels about things, and where he stands. :)

• 1 month later...

Once more it's been a while since my last post. Life keeps distracting me. I haven't been able to focus on writing for some time. There is still hope it will get better, though.

Thank you for bearing with me anyway.

Spoilers for BH Dromund Kaas.

Dromund Kaas, Lord Grathan's estate, a few hours later.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

Kark! Just when Thorns had begun to think this stupid plan of his might work. He could see the door to the lab down the hallway. “Delivery for Lord Fraabaal!” He kept his gaze on the floor; it had worked with all the other guards. They had looked past a person — more a thing probably — wearing slave’s clothes, not deeming him worthy of their notice. Just a slave carrying a wooden box of medium size with four low feet and an inlaid lid.

“I wasn’t told about a delivery,” the guard stated.

“I’m only doing as I’m told!” Through his lashes Thorns peeked at the guard. Dark robes, a lightsaber hilt at his belt. Damned! “Er — my lord.”

“I don’t like your tone.”

There was a second guard behind the first. Thorns dropped his gaze and let his shoulders slump a bit further. His knees had wobbled the first few times he had met the boss back on Coruscant. He had grown a few centimeters since then, as had his confidence. Still, he could pretend. “My lord, I…”

The Sith interrupted him with a short burst of lightning. “I didn’t give you permission to speak.”

Thorns squealed and dropped to his knees. Panting he set the box down. He tried to focus on what was to come. The Sith didn’t make him wait long for another shock. There would be more lightning, maybe some kicks. He could take those. The pain wasn’t so bad. The cramps were a problem. He had feared he’d drop the box once it came to a longer burst of lightning. His blasters were attached underneath. If the Sith discovered his blasters — or if they were somehow triggered by the lightning — he’d be in real trouble. Shooting the guards was a possibility, but not an option. He had passed more sentry posts on his way here. The slave’s clothes had gotten him in; they wouldn’t get him out through a fight. Lightning, that’s what he concentrated on — letting the damned Sith feel some fear. Thorns acting had gotten him through prison, through basic training, hell, even through Ord. The Sith, though, sensed the underlying truth.

“You think you can get off easy, slave?”

After the next burst he’d didn’t have to pretend any longer. Through a haze of pain he heard his tormentor say something about teaching him manners. Thorns managed to shove the box away from himself. The kicks came from the second guard. The crack of one of his ribs breaking reverberated through his skull. He would have thrown up hadn’t the next cramps prevented it. His teeth gritted of their own accord.

Thorns’ scream was drowned out by the blaring of an alarm. He caught only single words of the guards’ discussion. Intruder, attack, Sith. They gesticulated a lot and seemed to come to the conclusion the Sith in the lab would be able to fend for herself while they helped to subdue the invaders. Thorns watched them leave, his vision blurred by tears of pain.

He’d have to act now and be gone before the guards returned. A shuddering breath made him clench his teeth once more. Now that the rest of his nerves were no longer on fire, his broken rib made itself felt. Carefully he took another breath, more shallow than the last. Every muscle in his body hurt from the cramps. If he survived this, he’d have sore muscles for days. Time was precious, yet he took some to simply lie on his back where he was, trying to adjust his breathing, and relax his muscles as best as possible. He didn’t try to fight the pain when he got up. It would lessen once he was moving again. The wall’s support kept him from toppling over. As a thank-you-gift he left a somewhat restless pattern of indefinite color and the smell of puke. Thorns spit out and wiped his mouth with his sleeve. An image of what he must look like crept into his thoughts. He shoved it away. No way to help it. Concentrating on his breathing he picked up the box. The strips of adhesive tape still held his blasters in place.

The sensor picked up the wave of Thorns’ hand as he approached. The door opened with a barely audible hiss. Vereta Fraabaal glanced briefly towards him before returning her attention to her dialog partner again. “… can’t be aimed at me! The intruder is in the wrong building. Anyway, I don’t care! A Mandalorian won’t stand a chance. I am Sith!” she exclaimed.

The man in front of her wrung his hands. “I am sure your father is able to afford to hire someone who is able to kill you. You need to be careful, my lord.”

Thorns entered the room and dropped to one knee, holding the box pressed to his chest. He had hoped to find the Sith alone. Maybe the man would leave, once they were done talking. That would work if it didn’t take too long. Thorns decided to stick to his plan. The Sith had all but ignored him. This was going to work. Studying the inlay of the box he waited for Vereta’s attention.

The admiral’s daughter was still laughing about the man’s suggestion. “Oh please. My father doesn’t want me dead. He wants to save face. No doubt he’s hired some imbecile bound to fail miserably. Now leave me to my work.” She waved the man away. “Go, go!” She watched as the man hurried past Thorns. After the door had closed again, she stepped in front of him. “Now, what do we have here?”

Staying silent Thorns raised the box and bowed his head. The pose strained his broken rib. He clenched his teeth and prayed she wouldn’t notice his ragged breath, or his stench, or that he squinted his eyes firmly shut. He and Mako had thought about a way to get the woman back to her father alive. He had been sorry when he had discovered the raised security rendering his previous plan inoperable. He had actually wondered if he’d somehow be able to carry her to the cliff he’d climbed to get into the compound. He had been an imbecile. No longer. They wouldn’t **** with him. The admiral would get exactly what he had paid for.

Vereta’s fingers brushed over the inlay, probably wondering what the box contained. She didn’t ask. A slave wouldn’t know. She opened the lid with both hands.

Even through his compressed lids Thorns saw a fraction of the brightness, released when the flash grenade inside the box detonated. His target screamed in agony, her hands covering her momentarily blinded eyes too late.

Thorns ripped his right blaster from beneath the box, not bothering with the second. During rising back to his feet he already fired several bolts at the Sith. Vereta had time for a short shriek before she collapsed. Thorns kicked her foot. Her limb flopped uncontrolled. He bent down and retrieved his second blaster. One deep breath, a curse for his broken rib, two flicks with his thumbs, and his weapons were no longer set to stun mode.

The two holes in Vereta Fraabaal’s forehead looked like one. She had been dead after the first. The second was for the ‘imbecile’. That wasn’t his usual style, but Thorns’ tolerance for Sith had been worn thin. He’d had to leave his scanner behind with his armor. Would her father prefer a thumb or an ear as proof? Any better scanner would be able to confirm he’d cut it after her death. To be on the safe side he took both. To her it wouldn’t matter anyway.

Well worth the wait :) Poor Thorns for what he had to endure. He's a clever one though. I'm glad he took out his mark, that Fraabaal woman was one of the more annoying ones you come across. She ranks right up there with Thana, and the daughter of that scientist that gives you the security pass to Grathan's at the DK cantina. Really enjoyed it, love Thorns! <3