DPS while tanking

Eadreid

Just wondering what other tanks out there do about dps in a PvE tanking situation. Obviously higher dps means higher threat and some of the dps checks on current bosses can be a little tight so every little we can offer can help.

Obviously i know the defence stats to aim for but how are people managing to fit in any dps stats? Was thinking of swapping endurance crystals for power ones, and using a willpower hilt etc. Anything else to try for?

When I tank on my Assassin, I'm doing in the range of 1.9-2.1k dps on bosses like Sparky and Torque, with relatively good uptime. Don't put any offensive stats in your gear other than those that accompany your defensive stats, such as Willpower and the Power from your augments. You don't need any more than that. Beyond that, it's more about managing your rotation properly. The only time I struggle with aggro is against AP PTs when all their moves crit and mine don't all crit. Even then, a good 3 taunt rotation keeps them from actually getting aggro or holding it for long if they do.

Just wondering what other tanks out there do about dps in a PvE tanking situation. Obviously higher dps means higher threat and some of the dps checks on current bosses can be a little tight so every little we can offer can help.

Obviously i know the defence stats to aim for but how are people managing to fit in any dps stats? Was thinking of swapping endurance crystals for power ones, and using a willpower hilt etc. Anything else to try for?

DPS is not the major long-term source of threat in SWTOR. Taunt fluffing builds threat exponentially and the taunts in SWTOR are very generous, so midway through a fight each taunt is already worth more aggro that entire rotations worth of damage.

Threat from damage is important only for those opening rotations and for gathering adds. In those cases though it is your burst damage and high-threat moves (Wither, Discharge..) that matter more than sustained DPS.

P.S. If your DPS have an opener so strong they can pull off you at the start of a fight, they should use their threat drop pre-emptively during it. Threat drops are basically free in SWTOR, there is no penalty for using them, so if this is a recurring problem and your DPS aren't using the threat drops, they have to take their share of the responsability too (not that it excuses you for bad threat management).

Edited by MiaowZedong

Agree with all of the above and dont worry im not using dps as my main threat mechanic. Got a good rotation to build decent agro and maintain self buffs, and if burst dps pulls a mob off me at the start, a single taunt puts me top of the taunt table and i can usually maintain it from the point, especially with threat drops.

All i mean is a bit dps can only help in those situations where quick agro is necessary, and a taunt is neither available nor applicable, is adds on ravagers first boss if dps nuke aoe. Also a bit more dps would help with enrage timers etc.

Was more to see if anyone did stack any offensive stats at all, and if so how they managed it.

Cheers for replies :-)

Basically what all the above said already. I will add that on bosses with tight enrage timers i will pop an attack adrenal at the start, plus my normal initial agro rotation and its pretty much impossible for a dps to rip aggro off me (unless someone wants to be a troll and taunt off me lol). Helps out a little on the DPS and threat from the get-go plus there will be more than enough time for me to use my normal absorb adrenal mid fight when the incoming damage actually starts to hurt more. I have thought about using a resolve hilt instead of a force weilder hilt though, but i think i I'm gonna stick w/ the force weilder. The bottom line is enrage timers are a gear/skill check for dps; not tanks. if your group happens to be consistently hitting enrage timers at some very low percent where a tanks dps could have possibly made a difference (like less 5% HP left) then it may be in your best interest to swap out the tank hilt for a dps one, or even a willpower stim instead of a endurance one if your healers think they can handle the slight decrease in mitigation and health.

I'd have to say for the first time ever, you not only dont want to swap out Endurance for Power/Willpower, but you should actually contemplate swapping Absorb/Defense for Endurance (in the form of B-mods) simply because the damage spikes are ridiculous in current content. Granted, the 70k hit from Bulo is no more, but you still have lots of damage spikes you have to deal with, and B-mods is a great way to avoid them.

As for needing aggro on the adds in sparky? In SM, the adds are pathetic and die really quick. In HM, they apply a permanent debuff to whatever they attack causing 4% more damage. And cause of the tank swap, you dont want to have either tank having to eat the debuff anyway (at the end of the fight, me and my guardian dps buddy typically have 35+ stacks before the boss dies and the adds go berserk and give everyone 50+ stacks)

Plus they auto-aggro on the main tank if they are in the circle anyway.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.