Pyro Powertech or Arsenal Mercenary - Dilemma

-Sullster-

Hi fellow forumites,

Having blasted a variety of characters during 12xp for getting all the unlocks I am now looking to restart the game and explore as much as I can (still haven't got datacrons) with a new character intending to be my main for PVE and PVP (Although I'm bad at it).

In other MMO's I am usually the Fire powered or themed guy which usually makes me a ranged DPS (or a tank). The problem I have is that Pyro PT is perfect for my fire fix but doesn't have the range I am used to or prefer. Although IO is the new Pyro it doesn't have as much fire as it could. The Missile animations of the mercenary are very explosive and I am kind of leaning towards them rather than IO (Thank god for the TM changes).

I have no idea what to choose. Any suggestions of benefits drawbacks for both? Most likely be using mako/HK/treek for leveling. I have played all 3 specs before to a decent level but have no experience with the 3.0 changes.

Edited by -Sullster-

While I get you're chosing for the themes, both are the underperforming specs of their advanced class at the moment.

If you go with Arsenal you'll probably be pressured in serious PvE content to respec to IO, just because IO is much more single-target DPS currently. Arsenal is basically "the adds spec". In PvP it fares a bit better than IO however, but Mercs are considered bad for PvP. That may or may not change with 3.1, due in less than a month.

Pyrotech is not generally considered as bad for PvE, but it's generally less effective than AP for both PvE and PvP. Your survivability is a bit above a Merc's and you have more utility in PvP, but it's not a good PvP spec. While PT generally has quite a bit of range, the flamethrower on Pyro forces you to get closer and it can be finnicky in some fights.

To be honest, if you're already saying you're not that good at PvP, I wouldn't suggest a Merc. They are pretty much bottom of the barrel atm for PvP unless you really know what you're doing. And it doesn't look like they're balancing classes for PvP in 3.1 either (PTS is closed and no word on it), so it could take a while for them to receive buffs. In PvE, either is great. But for a mix I'd definately go for Powertech, since they are pretty dfamned good for both.

I'm not saying that Merc is completely aweful atm, it's just a lot harder to play in PvP. It really depends on how much you want to be ranged.

Edited by Defecter

Having blasted a variety of characters during 12xp for getting all the unlocks I am now looking to restart the game and explore as much as I can (still haven't got datacrons) with a new character intending to be my main for PVE and PVP (Although I'm bad at it).

I've got both (actually I also have an AP PT in addition).

Arsenal Merc is my main, and while PvE wise it isn't really an issue (solid burst DPS), in PvP you will struggle even if you know what you are doing with the class. That and the addition of arenas and you will be singled out and killed first a large majority of the time.

Pyro PT is fun, period. Not the fotm spec, but it's doable in both PvE and PvP. Definitely plays better up close to your enemies compared to Mercs. I don't think you can go wrong with leaning in this direction over a Merc currently.

I've got both (actually I also have an AP PT in addition).

Arsenal Merc is my main, and while PvE wise it isn't really an issue (solid burst DPS), in PvP you will struggle even if you know what you are doing with the class. That and the addition of arenas and you will be singled out and killed first a large majority of the time.

Pyro PT is fun, period. Not the fotm spec, but it's doable in both PvE and PvP. Definitely plays better up close to your enemies compared to Mercs. I don't think you can go wrong with leaning in this direction over a Merc currently.

Sounds about right, Think I may just stick with a PT after all, although might solo pve as a tank as love jet charge too much and respec pyro for teaming, I used to have a hybrid up to jet charge and free flame sweeps then the rest pyro. Wasn't uber DPS but was fun to play solo. Plus the new Shae Vizla Armor suits the theme with no need for dyes!

Edited by -Sullster-

I used to have a hybrid up to jet charge and free flame sweeps then the rest pyro. Wasn't uber DPS but was fun to play solo. Plus the new Shae Vizla Armor suits the theme with no need for dyes!

That's exactly what my AP PT was, until Disciplines / Utilities. As you say, not uber DPS, but great fun to play solo :D

Hi, I know this isn't what You asked but as an altaholic and someone that has:

A Pyro Powertech Lev 52

An AP Powertech Lev 54

An Arsenal Merc Lev 54

A Shieldtech Powertech lev 60

and a IO merc lev 60

Have you actually considered a Shieldtech Powertech?

It is actually more 'Firey' than you may initially think.

Being a Tank it is pretty tough so you should be survivable - Also as every one says the Jetpack is lots of fun to use.

I also took the talents to increase the damage of my Flamesweep and range of my Flame Burst and Flame Sweep, so I tend to use a lot of Flaming based powers as a whole - (mixed in with Rocket Punches and Rail Shots).

(You can even take Pyro Shield as well to keep with your Fire Theme)

However - beyond that, the main reason why I am Suggesting this is 'Firestorm' if you like fire/flame based powers - this is THE power for you - It is a lot more spectacular than the normal Flamethrower (and Immolate)- The Flames are more intense and even set the ground alight (and it has a cool Powerful Jet Engine type sound) - Also, it procs all the time and does some decent damage to boot.

It may not be quite what you want and it doesn't do as much damage as the others - but you never know, you might like the feel of it :)

Logic says PT, but deff not Pyro, which kinda sucks when compared to AP. AP is crazy in PvP and does it job in PvE. Merc has some ridiculous PvE numbers, but that's IO, and you gotta have monkey reflex to execute it properly in the heat. Merc PvP is mostly WZ fun, where you go Arsenal and just throw 10k+ crits at random peepz (15k tops if you hit trolling PvE sorc), 4v4 is pain, since you get focused instantly, and just can't survive if properly tunneled. Edited by puzzle_maniak_a

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.