A Small Gripe

LegBreakBowler

First of all, let me start off by acknowledging that the point that I am about to raise is not the biggest problem with the current state of the game, but it is certainly one of most annoying from my point of view.

I also realise that the nature of the point that I am raising may lead to heated discussions as it is a matter of opinion.

After the release of 3.0.2 I noticed that the Jedi Master NPCs at the Republic recon base on Yavin 4 now carries a blaster rifle on his back.

Throughout the years a concerted effort has been to establish that not only that the lightsabers are competent against the various other weapons present in the Star Wars universe, but they have the ability to outperform their ranged counterparts in the hands of highly skilled individuals . For this reason, I believe that this addition is inconsistent and possibly disrespectful to the already well-established lore of the Star Wars Universe

I am aware that there have been instances where characters have used both Blasters and Lightsabers. However, these instances fall into one of the following categories:

• The individual in question is on the fringes of the Jedi order and thus does subscribe completely to the philosophy of the Jedi order
  • The individual is not yet confident in their ability to make sole use of a lightsaber
  • The individual has lost his saber and has no choice other to make use of a Blaster
  • Individuals have made use of blasters while in disguise

The above further emphasises the inconsistency of a Jedi Master highly entrenched in the Jedi order deliberately carrying a Blaster Rifle and Lightsaber simultaneously.

So please Bioware remove the rifle from that model!

You realize he's not the first Jedi with a rifle, right? This isn't a new addition. It's also not really a big deal. You could be a gun-toting Jedi in the other Old Republic games as well. Not to mention in current canon Star Wars, there is a Jedi by the name of Kanan who switches from blasters to lightsabers at will. If anything, I would love to have that ability as well but I understand that for players in an MMO, allowing such choices would be highly detrimental to the gameplay experience. So I will accept being stuck with my awesome lightsaber.

tl; dr: LIGHTSABERS RULE, gun users drool!

You realize he's not the first Jedi with a rifle, right? This isn't a new addition. It's also not really a big deal. You could be a gun-toting Jedi in the other Old Republic games as well. Not to mention in current canon Star Wars, there is a Jedi by the name of Kanan who switches from blasters to lightsabers at will. If anything, I would love to have that ability as well but I understand that for players in an MMO, allowing such choices would be highly detrimental to the gameplay experience. So I will accept being stuck with my awesome lightsaber.

tl; dr: LIGHTSABERS RULE, gun users drool!

Like Daewan said, Kanan in Star Wars Rebels primarily uses a blaster despite being a Jedi out of desire to not stand out as one.

There's that.

I mention in my original post that a blaster might be as part of disguise. Kanaan original intention was to conceal his identity as an Jedi knight

Edited by LegBreakBowler

There are several Jedi on Alderaan, in a Republic outpost, with a blaster rifle attached to their back as well. It has been there for as long as I can remember.

I guess it's an oversight of sorts, highly noticeable, but not something that makes or breaks the game.

For me at any rate.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I disagree with the premise. It's nice to see a jedi with both. If for whatever reason a Jedi wants to engage multiple enemies at a distance, a rifle is the best choice.

It just feels off to me. It has been well established that a lightsaber is a symbol as well as a weapon

Edited by LegBreakBowler

Well, the way I look at it, is that they're in Yavin...it's full of all kinds of wildlife. You say it's possibly disrespectful to the lore established by Star Wars, but I beg to differ. I see no problem with a Jedi also carrying a fire arm. I find it far more disrespectul to pull your lightsaber out to fend off some minor attacking bat creature, when it can be dispatched with a pistol.

The lightsaber is an elegant weapon, and takes much training to use. I think it's squandered if you throw it at anything that moves. With the force, it's your most powerful weapon, and should be preserved to fight those worthy of it or those who prove to be the most dangerous to you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.