Remember when you developed GSF Content? We don't either!

SammyGStatus

Hey,

I along with several other top tier aces play GSF every day for several hours a day. We are the voice of people who want to see you do well with this amazing game mode, but the devs need to meet us halfway here. My suggestion to improve GSF population (without cross server, because that should be the end goal, if not just having all queues regardless of server location be able to queue against each other, pending latency boundries).

I've done the work of asking players who play GSF and players who don't, what would make them more likely to play and stick with GSF. The difficult part (identifying what your customers want) for you.

STOP having the veterans queue against the new players. A lot of the older guys playing this game help new people, but the amount of time I spend trying to even have them give the game another chance is really bad.

I know you want the GSF to have more of a grind, but it really hurts the novices who only get enough requisition in 1 game to level 1 thing up to pretty reasonable standard (since the devs bolstered the intro quest). Unfortunately, they don't know what to spend points in, so a new player will throw 5k into Rapid Fire Lasers on a scout, not realizing it's the worst weapon in the game. The new player doesn't have the patience to play again knowing that they can't actually kill anything. I encountered this exact situation before on multiple occassions, most recently last night. You can't assume that everyone is going to have the patience to get blasted to bits, feel like they suck and aren't contributing, and expect them to reque. This is your first hurdle.

Give the stock load out on scouts LLCs, and overall refine the progression so that getting slaughtered on the first match doesn't prevent the player from wanting to reque (note that the vets play stock ships and win a large majority of the time, even against better geared newer players because we played enough to know what we're doing).

Also, bolster a player under 25 games with a +25% damage boost and +25 percent shields.

Giving new players bombers would also give a novice a chance to sit and get comfortable with the environment, plus prevents blow out matches in games where it's 8 vets in bombers against 8 2 ship new pilots with rapid fire laser scouts (hint - the game will not be fun for the new players and they won't que again).

The aces want you to do whatever you can to increase player pool size and new player experience. It sucks having to make GSF alts on every server just to play with the small percentage of the community that plays. By having ONE, larger player pool, chances are that aces won't be in all of the same matches and the novices will be paired against more people closer to their level.

The vets are fun - end game balance could always be tweaked, but you need to retain pilots. I can already think of more ways for the cartel market to reach GSFers, but only after you get the new guys in and queuing up. No one wants to be farmed or feel like they have no chance. Legacy or Faction wide hangars would also reduce the amount of effort having to be expended to level ships on multiple servers to bypass the lack of cross server. It would also help new pilots with accessing the game.

If I can GSF with my ops toon, i'd que on him for GSF too if they shared a hangar, but since we cant, I have to chose "Am I running an op or am I running GSF". Since when was an MMO about locking you choice one aspect of the game? A PVE and PVE can carry both sets of gear. You don't have that luxury with GSF

Edited by SammyGStatus

Hey,

I along with several other top tier aces play GSF every day for several hours a day. We are the voice of people who want to see you do well with this amazing game mode, but the devs need to meet us halfway here. My suggestion to improve GSF population (without cross server, because that should be the end goal, if not just having all queues regardless of server location be able to queue against each other, pending latency boundries).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Also, bolster a player under 25 games with a +25% damage boost and +25 percent shields.

Giving new players bombers would also give a novice a chance to sit and get comfortable with the environment, plus prevents blow out matches in games where it's 8 vets in bombers against 8 2 ship new pilots with rapid fire laser scouts (hint - the game will not be fun for the new players and they won't que again).

^ /signed.

I think it stinks that I can only play GSF during prime hours on POT5 because there isn't a big enough base to get a match say at 11am or 2am -- just an example.

Edited by Lecto

Hey,

I've done the work of asking players who play GSF and players who don't, what would make them more likely to play and stick with GSF. The difficult part (identifying what your customers want) for you.

STOP having the veterans queue against the new players. A lot of the older guys playing this game help new people, but the amount of time I spend trying to even have them give the game another chance is really bad.

I know you want the GSF to have more of a grind, but it really hurts the novices who only get enough requisition in 1 game to level 1 thing up to pretty reasonable standard (since the devs bolstered the intro quest). Unfortunately, they don't know what to spend points in, so a new player will throw 5k into Rapid Fire Lasers on a scout, not realizing it's the worst weapon in the game. The new player doesn't have the patience to play again knowing that they can't actually kill anything. I encountered this exact situation before on multiple occassions, most recently last night. You can't assume that everyone is going to have the patience to get blasted to bits, feel like they suck and aren't contributing, and expect them to reque. This is your first hurdle.

Give the stock load out on scouts LLCs, and overall refine the progression so that getting slaughtered on the first match doesn't prevent the player from wanting to reque (note that the vets play stock ships and win a large majority of the time, even against better geared newer players because we played enough to know what we're doing).

The aces want you to do whatever you can to increase player pool size and new player experience. It sucks having to make GSF alts on every server just to play with the small percentage of the community that plays. By having ONE, larger player pool, chances are that aces won't be in all of the same matches and the novices will be paired against more people closer to their level.

The vets are fun - end game balance could always be tweaked, but you need to retain pilots. I can already think of more ways for the cartel market to reach GSFers, but only after you get the new guys in and queuing up. No one wants to be farmed or feel like they have no chance. Legacy or Faction wide hangars would also reduce the amount of effort having to be expended to level ships on multiple servers to bypass the lack of cross server. It would also help new pilots with accessing the game.

If I can GSF with my ops toon, i'd que on him for GSF too if they shared a hangar, but since we cant, I have to chose "Am I running an op or am I running GSF". Since when was an MMO about locking you choice one aspect of the game? A PVE and PVE can carry both sets of gear. You don't have that luxury with GSF

As a player who has tried GSF a couple of times and been annihilated due to n00b-ness, I can attest to SammyGStatus' comments about the barriers for new pilots to feeling like they're actually getting anywhere. I think the game mode seems like an awesome idea, and I'm totally willing to accept a "learning curve" where I get beaten a few times while I try to familiarize myself with how to play. However, when that learning curve seems so steep that it's almost impossible, I get a bit demoralized and fall back to running dailies and such. I know there are guides posted around the Internet (and even in the SWTOR forums), and I've read through several of them, but I still feel like a complete idiot anytime I try to play GSF. Perhaps if I had the endurance to power through all of the deaths it takes to get "good", I'd be more likely to participate.

Hey,

I along with several other top tier aces play GSF every day for several hours a day.

:) I'm sorry to inform you, but GSF is dead...

Well, not dead, but abandoned... what you have is all you're going to get, asking for changes or improvements is a waste of time. Not enough people play it, just like the space on-rails game, it will not see another update.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.