Three Years Later: Star Wars the Old Republic Review 2015

Floobieman

Yah I was curious why they hadn't really added any new ones since launch; makes me wonder if people just aren't running them?

People never really ran them. They've always been something of the redheaded stepchild of SWTOR. Just check the "Space" population count whenever you run them.

They did actually add new ones once since launch - patch 1.6 added the six "Grade 7" difficulty missions.

Yah I was curious why they hadn't really added any new ones since launch; makes me wonder if people just aren't running them?

The on-rails space missions were largely unsuccessful or at least, that's my impression. Even prior to launch, many people took issue with the on-rails design and what not.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I can't disagree too much, except on the comment about 500 gathering missions not returning blues/purples that don't exist. Only thing I noticed that showed a misunderstanding of the game.

Also guessing he was on Harbinger with his queue comments.

I always felt that, had they made a few changes to it the PVE space feature would have been more popular.

First, I would have removed the connection to world leveling, and instead gave it its own leveling mechanic. That way your PVE space level is different than your regular level.

Second, I would have given it regular progression missions and dailies that can earn credits and special rewards.

Third, I would have added the ability to play in a group, IE someone else can either join the pipe in their own ship, or they can fight as a group in your ship, manning turrets to fight the enemy ships in the pipe.

Fourth, I would have added "space to ground" transition missions, where you fight in space, then transition to a planets atmosphere to attack ground targets, and unique missions for each class that would again offer special rewards.

I believe that that would have made the feature much more popular.

Have to say this is a very nice review of the game but it's missing one important issue and that's the quality of CS for subscribers is very poor and most decisions are automated and closing the wrong tickets putting more doubt in the SWTOR community player base.

Interesting read.

As for PVE Space missions... I've been meaning to roll a character who will use those to level up (at least past Taris/Balmorra in Ch1). I should get to that.

Don't forget to stock up on Space Mission XP boosts, they go for about 10 credits a stack on my server. :p

I always felt that, had they made a few changes to it the PVE space feature would have been more popular.

First, I would have removed the connection to world leveling, and instead gave it its own leveling mechanic. That way your PVE space level is different than your regular level.

Second, I would have given it regular progression missions and dailies that can earn credits and special rewards.

Third, I would have added the ability to play in a group, IE someone else can either join the pipe in their own ship, or they can fight as a group in your ship, manning turrets to fight the enemy ships in the pipe.

Fourth, I would have added "space to ground" transition missions, where you fight in space, then transition to a planets atmosphere to attack ground targets, and unique missions for each class that would again offer special rewards.

I believe that that would have made the feature much more popular.

That probably would have indeed made the PVE Space game more popular... it also probably would have at least quintupled the development cost for it (I don't have any actual figures to base that on, 'quintupled' is just a fun word), and you still would have had people saying "it sucks" because it was on-rails and had no PVP element (and others complaining just because it wasn't exactly like Jump to Lightspeed).

On the review itself - I thought it was very well put together/organized and in general was perfectly fair in its assessments, I did find one part I was curious about though:

Unfortunately, the end-game skill-level 500 Missions for Bioanalysis, Scavenging and Archaeology are bugged. They only return greens and in a small amount. This has been a problem since launch, and the community doesn’t quite understand why Bioware is ignoring this important fact, especially as the other crew skill level 500 missions can return fantastic blue and purple rewards.

Am I wrong, or is this not a bug, it's just that by design there are no Blue/Purple rewards that one would ever get from those specific Crew Skills? Critting should just get you a higher yield of the Greens, right?

Am I wrong, or is this not a bug, it's just that by design there are no Blue/Purple rewards that one would ever get from those specific Crew Skills? Critting should just get you a higher yield of the Greens, right?

There's some debate on this relative to comparing the value of missions between the different crew skills. For example, the "value" of a 500 custom mission in scavenging can never really yield any "real" results, which is why they sell for $5K a pop on the GTN - while others (such as slicing) sell upwards to $100K. Then again, with the latest Slot machine fiasco, I've seen Circuitry (from slicing) now drop well below $20K (from ~$50K) which will surely drive the slicing missions down. But I think it's too early to tell the overall impact it will have on the economy and missions. On the flip side, farming with scavenging on Yavin-4 is extremely profitable. It's just that the custom missions themselves seem to be "useless" especially for a 4 hour crew member commitment.

There's some debate on this relative to comparing the value of missions between the different crew skills. For example, the "value" of a 500 custom mission in scavenging can never really yield any "real" results, which is why they sell for $5K a pop on the GTN - while others (such as slicing) sell upwards to $100K. Then again, with the latest Slot machine fiasco, I've seen Circuitry (from slicing) now drop well below $20K (from ~$50K) which will surely drive the slicing missions down. But I think it's too early to tell the overall impact it will have on the economy and missions. On the flip side, farming with scavenging on Yavin-4 is extremely profitable. It's just that the custom missions themselves seem to be "useless" especially for a 4 hour crew member commitment.

The use is that you get 4 times the mats for 4 times the mission duration, but at a cheaper total cost (depending on what you pay for the mission discoveries). Makes it worth it to queue them up whenever you're going to be logged out for 4+ hours, I mean everyone needs sleep right?

The use is that you get 4 times the mats for 4 times the mission duration, but at a cheaper total cost (depending on what you pay for the mission discoveries). Makes it worth it to queue them up whenever you're going to be logged out for 4+ hours, I mean everyone needs sleep right?

True, but I can manually loot the same amount of materials on Yavin 4 in about 1-2 minutes. There's no "value" to the 4-hour mission, and no chance of getting any "high value" results. That's the problem.

Edited by Floobieman

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.