Please improve Reverse Engineering mechanics

CharlesMarkley

The simple 20% chance to reverse engineer an item, each time it is done, regardless of previous attempts is not indicative of how reverse engineering really works. It is too simple and random, when someone with the skill and understanding in a role-playing game should be able to increase the chances each time a reverse engineer attempt is tried.

This week I have spent over 11 million credits to try to reverse engineer 11 Reflex 37 barrels...unsuccessfully, nine on Monday night and two today. Really? This is how this was designed? My character is so "stupid" that after ten times taking it apart, he still can't figure it out? Come on, this deserves some real programming, not the same lame dice roll mechanic.

Granted, on Monday night I was still feeling the effects of a concussion from slipping on black ice and hitting my head, but now it is vendetta. I can't stop now, can I, with nothing to show for it? Is this just a poor design to get me to run another endless gamut of dailies?

Edited by CharlesMarkley
improve clarity

The simple 20% chance to reverse engineer an item, each time it is done, regardless of previous attempts is not indicative of how reverse engineering really works. It is too simple and random, when someone with the skill and understanding in a role-playing game should be able to increase the chances each time a reverse engineer attempt is tried.

This week I have spent over 11 million credits to try to reverse engineer 11 Reflex 37 barrels...unsuccessfully, nine on Monday night and two today. Really? This is how this was designed? My character is so "stupid" that after ten times taking it apart, he still can't figure it out? Come on, this deserves some real programming, not the same lame dice roll mechanic.

Granted, on Monday night I was still feeling the effects of a concussion from slipping on black ice and hitting my head, but now it is vendetta. I can't stop now, can I, with nothing to show for it? Is this just a poor design to get me to run another endless gamut of dailies?

FYI usually the Artifact level RE's are 10% not 20%.

So doing 11 of them, not all that uncommon. infact, its probably pretty close to average.

In other posts on this subject a while back, I've tried to suggest something where every reverse engineering attempt grants/refreshes a buff that stacks up to a limited number of stacks and grants a certain bonus to that RE success chance per each stack. (To prevent abusing the system by using lower level items to build up stacks before attempting the item you're actually trying to get a schematic from, I would further expand the suggestion into a series of buffs mk-1, mk-2, mk-3, etc. to match the mk-x level of augment components received from items at that level. Each buff would only improve chances for items in the appropriate level range.) The buff would probably not last long when you don't refresh it with another RE attempt. Edited by Muljo_Stpho

I don't think they should change how this works. Implementing a system such as what was suggested earlier sounds to me like it will introduce a lot of new bugs without adding any significant benefit. That's just the nature of probability, sometimes you succeed on your first attempt, sometimes on your 20'th.

What I do think is a problem, though, is that a successful RE attempt may grant you a schematic you already know instead of one you don't know yet. That just makes me want to facedesk.

IWhat I do think is a problem, though, is that a successful RE attempt may grant you a schematic you already know instead of one you don't know yet. That just makes me want to facedesk.

I've always wondered that as well and lately I been trying to reverse engineer some the old 180s since I started to upgrade to 186 and higher and when you try to learn a 34 pattern you get this giant red text saying item is undefined or something like that making you think don't waste time your not going to learn anything and then get a schematic even thou you got red text to the contrary. On average for me I can take 40-50 tries tying to learn something and am happy if I get it in less where some people I know seem to have all the luck in 1-2 tries at most.

The simple 20% chance to reverse engineer an item, each time it is done, regardless of previous attempts is not indicative of how reverse engineering really works.

You mean they have simplified and conceptualized something for a game, and it doesn't work the way it does IRL?

Who'd'a thunk?

Why would you spend a million credits on something to RE? I'd simply reverse engineer the items I get from raid drops and ones I buy with commendations rather than do that. Given the cost of materials do you have any idea how many of those barrels you'll have to sell in order to break even?

I went through 37 Might Armoring 34's before I got the schematic to produce them. It's luck of the draw and while I do agree that it is a stupid mechanic I'd never waste money on it knowing how it works.

This is an interesting conundrum.

On the one had, I agree, the current system is a little tricky, furthermore, despite this all being random, I have come across a very, very interesting pattern.

Skill, Guardian, Patron, Commando, and Endurance-heavy (like Steadfast, et cetera) usually only takes 5-7 tries to RE.

Resolve, Might and Reflex stuff, as well as useful augments (Shield, PreStat, Absorb) and enhancements like Initiative, take about 13-17 tries.

On green blue and purple.

Which is a little funny, because green should give you 20% and Blue/Purple a 10%.

Statistically, and I can link a spreadsheet if it'll help, it seems that the most useful stuff has been coded to trigger less often.

If that is the case, I do wonder why? If it is not, I think some change to the system is appropriate.

I am not sure if the buff idea previously suggested is a good one, as it would be easily exploited by the casual RP-er wanting a quick buck and perhaps put serious crafters out of pocket.

I believe the system needs to be adjusted, but with a focus on crafters. For instance, have an "acquity track" that increases for your legacy (not toon, because crafters craft with a legacy of characters) that would increase with the number of items crafted, and the time spent crafting them.

Higher "acquity" would give better results in REing, critting, and so on.

That way, a serious crafter who has crafted thousands of items and has spent hundreds of hours on it, could get the benefit, whereas a cantina /emoter who just wants to sell a purple 37 so he can get a "hawt knew top" does not.

Thoughts?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.