Please make DoT spreading more viable

Mission_dj

Let's face it, Blaster Volley is trash. It barely works in my experience, it's just not reliable.

In my opinion, there are two easy ways to improve DoT spreading.

In Ruffian, have Shrap Bomb spread Vital Shot, just as it does for Gunslinger's Dirty Fighting.

In Scrapper, have Thermal Grenade spread Vital Shot.

Alternatively, change Blaster Volley.

A suggestion would be to remove the upper hand requirement, make it channeled (similar to Gunslingers Sweeping Gunfire) and have it as a targetable AoE (again like SG). I think the 10m range would be feasible still in both specs.

These would make my PvE life more enjoyable when dealing with adds or trash, it would also bring us on par with other classes on ease of spreading DoT's.

What are people's thoughts?

Let's face it, Blaster Volley is trash. It barely works in my experience, it's just not reliable.

In Ruffian, have Shrap Bomb spread Vital Shot, just as it does for Gunslinger's Dirty Fighting.

A suggestion would be to remove the upper hand requirement, make it channeled (similar to Gunslingers Sweeping Gunfire) and have it as a targetable AoE (again like SG). I think the 10m range would be feasible still in both specs.

These would make my PvE life more enjoyable when dealing with adds or trash, it would also bring us on par with other classes on ease of spreading DoT's.

This has been told so many times before already yet nobody from BW is "able" enough to freaking confirm if they are going to do anything about it. They just don't give a damm about customers. :/

I'd argue that scrapper doesn't need dot spread since we are single target.. but then again they kind of messed that up with jugg's vengeance, so I don't know. I don't really feel like we need dot spread in scrapper.

But yes, for ruffian, absolutely either A: Change blaster volley into a placeable 10m AOE (like how cybertech grenades work) on a 6s CD with no tactical advantage cost

or B: Just put the dot spread on a different freaking ability.

Edited by QuiveringPotato

I'd argue that scrapper doesn't need dot spread since we are single target.. but then again they kind of messed that up with jugg's vengeance, so I don't know. I don't really feel like we need dot spread in scrapper.

But yes, for ruffian, absolutely either A: Change blaster volley into a placeable 10m AOE (like how cybertech grenades work) on a 6s CD with no tactical advantage cost

or B: Just put the dot spread on a different freaking ability.

Method A is preferred honestly. Carbine burst is useless and there's no real definition of where the cone is... it seems very shallow and misses despite me being at 100% accuracy...

however, putting it on explosive probe would be me a reason to use it in a rotation... spamming corrosive dart is dumb, if i'm supposed to be the king of dot damage then why is it nearly impossible to spread one of my main sources of damage....

Ops are better than they used to be but they still need work and idk if the new "skill tree" system fixed things enough lol. It's ok i guess...

I disagree. Currently we only regain upper-hand if we hit sucker punch on a bleeding target, so vital shot or back blast. the back blast bleed lasts, what, 6 secs. So that's nullified some what, having a way to spread the vital shot bleed will mean we can target switch more efficiently without having to reapply vital shot.

Honestly, I'd prefer a different approach to Carbine Burst/Blaster Volley.

Increase its base damage to 90% of Overload Shot/Quick Shot.

Then the utility for +25% damage is replaced with "Carbine Burst/Blaster Volley no longer uses a stack of Tactical Advantage/Upper Hand"

And finally, make it so its a full 180 degree cone instead of the useless 10 degree or however pathetically small it is.

OP? Maybe. But its no Force Storm/Force Quake

Honestly, I'd prefer a different approach to Carbine Burst/Blaster Volley.

Increase its base damage to 90% of Overload Shot/Quick Shot.

Then the utility for +25% damage is replaced with "Carbine Burst/Blaster Volley no longer uses a stack of Tactical Advantage/Upper Hand"

And finally, make it so its a full 180 degree cone instead of the useless 10 degree or however pathetically small it is.

OP? Maybe. But its no Force Storm/Force Quake

Indeed but plz, we don't need another "must have" utility. TA should be removed, no need to put that into a utility and made similar to Deathfield from assassins. Why can they have the biggest (or one of the biggest) AOE in the game while being able to cast it from 30m to spread dots while we would be stuck with a cone that is so buggy? So we need a ranged AoE castable similar to deathfield/plasma probe with a CD but no TA requirement.

I disagree. Currently we only regain upper-hand if we hit sucker punch on a bleeding target, so vital shot or back blast. the back blast bleed lasts, what, 6 secs. So that's nullified some what, having a way to spread the vital shot bleed will mean we can target switch more efficiently without having to reapply vital shot.

That's what acid blade/flechette round is for, but we don't want to make it -too- easymode. Our rotation is already simple enough, if we're just running around punching/slicing nilly willy, I think it's going to detract from the class.

Besides, using corrosive dart on new targets and off healing is literally the only thing that will even dent our energy now, so I think it should stay how it is.

It used to be 8 meters, didn't it? They nerfed the AOE radius in 3.0 for whatever reason (our dots never even ticked nearly as hard as madness', lol..), but I don't remember the original size of the AOE.

Indeed I swear my dots would hit a lot better prior to 3.0... I sometimes get crazy ticks on my butt from dots of sorcs and sins (oh right.. they have 3 dots while we only have 2 too...) while I get only 1-1,2k with crits per dot... pretty really freakin bad if you ask me.

Edited by ArielRebel

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, agree completely with master-dj on this point. Additionally, I would like to request Bioware replace blaster volley with something that benefits all scoundrel specs. Although the DPS specs need the improvements, heal spec needs new attacks to replace sabotage charge and flyby. Particularly in heal spec, blaster volley is a wasted CD and a wasted upper hand/tactical advantage. It's unusable.

For healing, you might argue dps is an afterthought, but some self-defense is necessary and the other heal specs did not lose their dps abilities in 3.0, particularly for aoe (e.g. sage has 'force quake' and commando has 'death from above' (aka 'mortar volley' in pub-speak? sorry I forget)).

TL;DR Bioware, please fix/replace blaster volley. It is unusable.

Yeah, agree completely with master-dj on this point. Additionally, I would like to request Bioware replace blaster volley with something that benefits all scoundrel specs. Although the DPS specs need the improvements, heal spec needs new attacks to replace sabotage charge and flyby. Particularly in heal spec, blaster volley is a wasted CD and a wasted upper hand/tactical advantage. It's unusable.

For healing, you might argue dps is an afterthought, but some self-defense is necessary and the other heal specs did not lose their dps abilities in 3.0, particularly for aoe (e.g. sage has 'force quake' and commando has 'death from above' (aka 'mortar volley' in pub-speak? sorry I forget)).

TL;DR Bioware, please fix/replace blaster volley. It is unusable.

The removal of flyby/orbital and sab charge exp probe, have really put me off my scoundrel and op healers. Sure, they "work" but my other healers are so much more fun now. Questing on my scoundrel and op have become tedious, and I have not touched them in over a month now.

And carbine burst/blaster volley I don't even bother with. A waste of resources. Hell, I have stood point blank facing an enemy (less than 4 meters away; I could shiv/blaster whip) and the damned attack has missed. It is absurd.

DOT spread would work better for lethality if it was linked to frag grenade instead of carbine burst. I don't know anyone who likes carbine burst. I've only ever used it to try to poke people who may be hiding in stealth with left over TAs after a battle. Carbine burst should probably just be removed from the game altogether. It's a bad ability.

100% agree.

Blaster volley is just bad. Or hows about giving XS freighter flyby back to the parent class... It is just awful that it was taken from scoundrels. It's so iconically smuggler to have their ship fly by and drop bombs. I think that was a very poor choice and I hope they roll it back :/

No, that's all we need is to have our mobility destroyed because we have to stand still and channel an ability. The nice thing about scoundrel is their complete mobility, that suggestion would just ruin it. I agree the dot spread could be executed better, but sacrificing our mobility is a no no.

Moving dot spread to Frag Genade would be probably easiest solution. Rise the aoe splah/radius a bit as well and I would be happy. Or they could just make Corrosive granade to spread corrosive dart.

Also they could redesign the dot spread skill( carbine burst/blaster voley), maybe make it a 360 skill with 6-8 meter radius(around your character) and some cool "spin" animation, and remove the TA requirement, add cooldown instead. It would be still inferior to death field but at least it would be fun to use and much more reliable.

Edited by Nefczi

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.