Range DPS > Melee DPS always

MasterAtin

In my opinion, based entirely off of experience in both PvE and PvP, range DPS will always be easier and more effective than Melee DPS. Sure, it depends on the player, but nevertheless, I still think in the overall scheme of things, range DPS will be more effective in all aspects of the game.

I recently level capped my Commando Gunnery Spec range DPS and have had a great time questing with it. I really enjoy the fact that I can be running away from my enemies with my back turned to them and still shoot them. Also, range DPS allows a buffer between you and your target. If you draw aggro from the NPC or enemy player, you can easily root/bind them, CC them, drop aggro, and re-position and reengage. It also makes PvP a lot easier. IN my experience, everyone will focus the first/closest enemy that engages your team. Range DPS, again, has that buffer. Range DPS can easily LOS enemies.

Melee DPS is particularly difficult to handle, in combination with rotations and stacking the right buffs, paying attention to the movement of your target can be a lot to deal with. As opposed to Range DPS, melee can't effectively LOS groups, nor should they. But it makes trying to survive in PvP and PvE harder. Melee DPS, the way I see it, has two severe disadvantages:

1) When Focusing a Target with friendly Melee, you risk getting caught in NPC or opposing Player Character AOEs. Consider Barrel Throw in Ravagers 2nd boss.

2) Melee DPS is extremely difficult when focusing Range DPS in PvP. Range DPS like having the distance buffer between then and all enemies. I can't blame them, it's almost instinctual. Melee just has to contend with binds/roots/slowed movement/stuns and pulls.

Range DPS have several tactics that make chasing them a pain:

-Sorcerers/Sages have DOTs that can also slow movement speed, they have multiple binds (depending on spec) and they have force speed that can be refreshed after force barrier.

-Commandos/Mercenaries have ElectroNet which can be highly effective in making your target make a choice. Move and take more damage from the Electro-Net, or sit still and let the mando/merc continue to burn you down.

-Gunslingers/Snipers can have a range of movement slowing abilities and binds. In addition to their extra 5 meters of range and their Hightail/Covered Escape. They also have strong defensive capabilities (while in cover) which allow them to stay in place a little longer before using their 18 meter escape.

All Range DPS have knockbacks that can also bind affected targets.

The way I see it, Melee DPS is at a massive disadvantage. Having to close the distance between target and character while in the meantime being burned down and slowed. I am aware Melee do have some advantages to boost speed and prevent being slowed, but good PvP players know when to save their stuns or use other tactics. I'd add the resolve meter also, since I think it's supposed to stop rooting/slowing, but the resolve system works very rarely for me. You can only use your CC breaker once, then you can easily be rooted/slowed again.

Personally, I still think Range has massive advantage in game. Melee should be given better ways of getting unbound or whatnot. Or we can just make everyone a Range DPS and shoot each other while facing completely away our targets.

Seriously, I'm chasing a Sorcerer and they are running away and dropping DOTs on me. However, Melee has to have their target somewhere in front of them in order to attack. Something about this isn't fair.

well you can only run so long..Melee have higher health, higher damage mitigation, higher armor, and also hit like a ton of bricks compared to the splattering of pebbles or peas shooters ranged tend to use.

also for the most part very few of ranged abilities can be used while running, meaning you have to stand still for some amount of time to cast/use abilities...I can move while attacking for most of my skills.

An experienced Melee player who knows their class at best is a standoff against an experienced ranged dps.

Why do you think they give all those roots, and stuns to them, because if they didn't it wouldn't be much of a fight melee gets within range and its pretty much over.

In general, yes I believe that 3.0 really favors ranged over melee. Classes that are sort of melee / ranged hybrids (e.g. PT, Operative) don't have it so bad. However, marauders and jugs (I may be missing something) will find things more difficult in warzones. I have forced myself to play my sentinel a good amount in 3.0. No other class that I have played has made me want to punch my monitor as badly as my sent. My Guardian can do OK in vigilance spec.

In my opinion, based entirely off of experience in both PvE and PvP, range DPS will always be easier and more effective than Melee DPS.

Lol what a bs. You know nothing, in pvp melee rules - sins, pt and jugs. The only range that can do good are sorcs but 1vs1 they will lose anyway. Mers are the most underpowered class in pvp.

Is it as bad now as it was during the EC HM/Lost Island era SWTOR when the discrimination against melee was at all time high levels? That droid with the incinerate mechanic was down right unfair to melee.

Current PvE end-game content (particularly the operations) are extremely hostile to Melee. To the degree there's almost no reason to bring one, let alone more than one.

Current PvE end-game content (particularly the operations) are extremely hostile to Melee. To the degree there's almost no reason to bring one, let alone more than one.

That sucks. The melee discrimination for puggers/competent guilds was a (small) part of the reason I stopped progression raiding in the era I mentioned. I had assumed that would have changed by now.

That sucks. The melee discrimination for puggers/competent guilds was a (small) part of the reason I stopped progression raiding in the era I mentioned. I had assumed that would have changed by now.

It's got a lot of people upset, because the fights are not friendly to Melee. Taking Underlurker as an example, the Adds have a high-damage AoE cleave. Ranged doesn't get anywhere near it, but Melee does, and they take significantly more damage as a result. Torque is another boss that has no-warning flame vents that demolish Melee with slow reaction time. These almost never come near the ranged, and as a result ranged has near 100% uptime on DPS versus Melee having to run around and flee in many instances.

Melee needs a big dps increase considering we're running around with freaking lightsabers. Currently they feel more like glowsticks than anything else. When we do get up close to a target it should be thnx and goodnight. The decrease of enemy hp, atleast from 1-50 has made this alittle better as my melee chars, especially my jedi guardian tank that i've been leveling feels stronger. But the damage output from atleast lightsaber attacks should recieve a big bump.

Range does not have advantage.

All melee calsses have "ranged" move to use while closing the gap.

many melee classes have "bleed" to "burn" effects.

I use PT AP for our raid group it preform splendidly while still being tanky enough to survive things my ranged dps couldn't handle.

Lol what a bs. You know nothing, in pvp melee rules - sins, pt and jugs. The only range that can do good are sorcs but 1vs1 they will lose anyway. Mers are the most underpowered class in pvp.

Yeah, I know nothing about PvP. I have about 70% worth of achievements completed in the Player Vs. Player Tier of the Achievements in the lEgacy Panel. On top of that, I've PvP'ed with every toon of mine. Like I said earlier in my original statement "In my experience" range DPS has always triumphed over Melee DPS in PvP.

Based off the classes you named, I'm going to assume that you PvP mostly on Imperial side there and seeing I favor pub side, I'm inclined to also assume you just don't like me or my post. If you're gonna claim "I know nothing" in PvP which I highly doubt, you might as well claim that you're Ygritte from Game of Throne who I remind you, was a range DPS.

It HAD changed, 2.0 was, by and large, pretty good. with 3.0 BW seems to have gone back to the mentality of "duuur let's make our stuff unreasonably hard" you;d think BW would have learned, the minute TFB came out no one did EC anymore. for a reason

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.