Shadow of Revan Class missions

errant_knight

Thank you for them.

Yes, they were shorter than I would have preferred, but they renewed my interest in playing on all my characters rather than on just one or two that I use for ops. While I really enjoy doing operations and flashpoints with my guild, my main interest in the game--what drew me to the game--was the class stories. Without that, I'm just coasting.

I understand that this was testing the water to see if class stories could be integrated with shared content and how that would be recieved, and I hope the verdict was positive. I can't state strongly enough how much more interested I am in content that relates to my story and reflects my choices than I am in any other content. I also understand that such content represents a sizable financial burden on the game.

My hope is that going forward, more ways are found to bring our class stories into play and that the class element can be expanded. While I would prefer entire new chapters, if the class content was expanded to be longer than what we saw here, say along the lines of the main expansion story arc, I could let the idea of new class chapters go and feel like my character was continuing to be developed.

This was too short for me to be able to see it as a substitute, but it was really fun and well written. Kudos to Alexander Freed.

Another option would be to have shorter class missions like this one being released as regular updates, say, when new hypercrates were released or when events came back and obtainable fron the ship terminal.

I missed my characters so much, lol. It was great to see them again. In shared content, it doesn't feel llike it's them in the same way.

Edited by errant_knight

I appreciate the attempt at trying class missions, so far I have done smuggler twice, consular twice and knight once. I found the knight one to have the most depth and enjoyable, that said the consular one was decent enough. The smuggler one left a lot to be desired, personally I found no depth to it. That said, I have only seen the lightside options for all of them and I could be selling the smuggler story short. While I don’t require a lot, I do believe they at least need to all have the depth of the consular quest and add something to the your characters story or serve as a reminder, like the knight mission. I just didn’t see that out of the smuggler class mission. I’m really not that hard to please, had they just added a smart *** comment by the female smuggler, I would have been happy.

Hopefully the smuggler class mission was just lacking and the rest will be on par with the consular or better. :)

The issue -- IMHO at any rate -- is the cost quite frankly, assuming there was a cost involved.

For SoR, we got a five to ten minutes Class Story mission but in the process, UNIQUE faction stories were discarded and MORE THAN HALF of our Vanilla companions were silent.

That includes the most pivotal of all for this expansion, namely Lord Scourge.

Not only that, but I expected them to be fairly lengthy or beefy, on par with the ones for the Jedi Knight, Trooper or Smuggler on Quesh.

They weren't.

In fact, they were so eager to get it over with I barely had any time whatsoever to let them sink in. In addition, Rishi came across as flat, a non-interesting playground for Force-based classes to have their class stories really.

In other words...

TL;DR: Were I given a choice, I wouldn't accept having silent companions and a UNIQUE faction story for both classes in exchange for a five or ten minutes Class Story for all classes. No way.

The issue -- IMHO at any rate -- is the cost quite frankly, assuming there was a cost involved.

For SoR, we got a five to ten minutes Class Story mission but in the process, UNIQUE faction stories were discarded and MORE THAN HALF of our Vanilla companions were silent.

That includes the most pivotal of all for this expansion, namely Lord Scourge.

Not only that, but I expected them to be fairly lengthy or beefy, on par with the ones for the Jedi Knight, Trooper or Smuggler on Quesh.

They weren't.

In fact, they were so eager to get it over with I barely had any time whatsoever to let them sink in. In addition, Rishi came across as flat, a non-interesting playground for Force-based classes to have their class stories really.

In other words...

TL;DR: Were I given a choice, I wouldn't accept having silent companions and a UNIQUE faction story for both classes in exchange for a five or ten minutes Class Story for all classes. No way.

Bro, you for real? Rishi is one of my favorite planets so far. It's a pirate planet. What more do you -want- from it.

Bro, you for real? Rishi is one of my favorite planets so far. It's a pirate planet. What more do you -want- from it.

I found it boring overall. The novelty factor wore off at lightning speed.

In addition, it's a pretty slim planet, both in content and scale, not to mention it feels unfinished.

I found it boring overall. The novelty factor wore off at lightning speed.

In addition, it's a pretty slim planet, both in content and scale, not to mention it feels unfinished.

> in scale

Isn't that a GOOD thing? People love Quesh but hate Hoth, for example.

I love Belsavis too.

Hoth and Alderaan, though...

Alderaan is an acquired taste for me.

Always liked Hoth however, especially the last bit aboard the Star of Coruscant. :D

Ironically enough, there's another planet largely overrun by pirates -- the White Maw -- yet Bioware chose NOT to overplay them. Good times.

I'm also glad to see them returning to some of the class centric story, tying it all together but yeah...I don't know if it was cost, time, the lack of voice actors wanting OR availability to reprise their roles, a combination of all of it...I feel like that was one of the huge risks with doing a fully voiced game like this, was that some of the actors would eventually no longer do it, on top of the cost. So, how much that affects the possibility/length/frequency/etc of class missions and other extensive dialogue content could be part of it.

I know in Dragon Age: Inquisition, some of the voice actors, like Freddie Prinze Jr didn't have high fees at all to do the voice of Iron Bull based off the BioWare conference after it came out. I don't know what agreements they have, but I've always felt like it could be a huge strain as the game progressed to get continually returning voice actors, and also funding full VO for quest givers. The way they handled the dailies probably cut most of that cost, but even still many of those NPC's talk a good paragraphs worth of voice-over each even if we're not continuously "dialoguing" with them.

Edited by Jesira

The way they handled the dailies probably cut most of that cost, but even still many of those NPC's talk a good paragraphs worth of voice-over each even if we're not continuously "dialoguing" with them.

You do realize they use a single VA to voice more than one character, right? :p

Michael Harney -- the VA for Darth Marr -- voices at least two of the people giving the dailies; same with Timothy Watson ( Darth Arkous ), James Urbaniak ( C2-D4 ) and Lydia Leonard ( Lana Beniko ), just to mention a few.

On the other hand, they have Daran Norris voicing a character that gives you a unique quest, while Gault remains silent throughout the ENTIRE expansion.

Bioware, how I love thee... :rolleyes:

Edited by Darth_Wicked

That's like saying water is kind of wet. Talk to someone, go there, come back and talk again, class mission done.

Length isn't the only factor. Don't get me wrong, it was just enough to whet my appitite for more, but regardless of that, I found that short mission more immersive and meaningful than anything I've done since the cllass stories ended.

That's not a slam to the other content. I've enjoyed some of it greatly, but even a short class mission is fulfilling in a way that shared content just can't be.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.