Suggestion: Halt the functionality of the Cartel Slot Machine Decoration' until fixed

EnkiduNineEight

I was wary of posting this as I had actually started submitting bug reports as I found out how useful this new decoration item is. I did not want to contribute to a run of people 'exploiting' what is currently and clearly a broken mechanic. I found there were several threads on the subject already as well as multiple hits on 'Google' and many people are already spreading this around so I figured I would post.

My initial post was to the most active thread on the subject in general but I am adding the same here in the suggestions forum as it contains some suggestions for repair that will not be game breaking like the slot currently is.

So.....

tl;dr - 20-30 minutes of 'work' can net well over 1 Million in game currency at current GTN market rates for materials and stronghold decoration items.

Long Version:

I've spent some time this morning and I am definitely in the camp that the slot machine is _entirely_ too generous.

Using just my 'Mule'/GTN Proxies I found that I had basically the same results with a small variation between them each time.

My experiment consisted of purchasing 2 full stacks of the cartel tokens for $99,000 on each of the characters and then clicking the slot machine for 198 times + an additional number of times based on how many times the slot machine rewarded me with another token or 'free spin'.

I did this across 4 different characters. I started reporting the results via a bug submission.

On the last two 'runs' these were my results... just for your information:

Run #3

17 - Scavenged Scrap

29 - Droid Parts

24 - Jawa Junk

33 - Banned Holo

19 - Prohibited Med

10 - Confiscated Art

2 - Cartel Certs

Run #4

18 - Scrap

23 - Droid Parts

29 - Jawa Junk

19 - Banned Holo

22 - Prohibited med

13 - Confiscated Artwork

7 - Cartel Certs

My prior two runs were even more 'lucrative'. So there is definitely something off.

I _WOULD NOT_ remove the Tier 11 Mats from the Jawa Vendors. Its important that the basic mats be available there as a 'reward' for people who buy a cartel pack and get the Scrap, Parts or Junk.

What needs to be done is that the rate of return/wins on these slot machines needs to be _drastically_ reduced. If they are not, this is FAR more lucrative than any other form of currency farming. Certainly the basis for the farming is selling mats and there is a diminishing market for mats over time, but in the short term, I can very easily clear well over $750,000 in net profit after paying for the tokens for the machine and paying the GTN share of my transactions. I can clear more if I want to advertise mats on fleet but that takes up too much of my time so instead, to the GTN it goes. And that's based on a relatively conservative pricing (less than half the current lowest price for certain mats on the GTN) so I could completely gut the market to start though I am certain to have more competition as soon as people realize how easily it is come by.

In most every case, the bulk of my initial investment of $99,000 for two stacks of tokens was returned to me from selling the reputation items alone.

They must have a decimal point misplaced or something. This is really bad.

I also saw the same pattern over most of my runs, I was ending up with a significant number of the Jawa Junk items in a proportion related to the other Scrap and Parts that seemed off. EG, I shouldn't ever end up with more Jawa Junk than Scavenged Scrap but the majority of times I performed this 'test' I did.

If I were in control, I would definitely significantly reduce the rate of return. Its a great idea to add these into the game as a currency sink to pull cash out of the economy and help combat inflation. At present, they are going to do the exact opposite.

So, drop rate of returns, and then I would suggest maybe throwing in the ability to win reputation items (at a much reduced rate) from all the various reputation items. Then, throw in a chance to win companion gifts, and items from prior packs, though these should be significantly infrequent wins.

Additionally, I think what I would do is make an additional award with odds only slightly better than the Kingpin Rancor, to draw an 'ultra rare' item from any of the previous shipments, and update that as each shipment is completed. So, for example, You could get on a 'major jackpot' Ultra Rare item from any of the following packs:

Cartel Packs, Contraband Packs, Bounty Packs, Starfighter, Nightlife, or Stronghold. But not the current shipment of Shadow Packs.

This puts a mechanism in the game to try to get items that were very rare from packs you very rarely sell anymore so it shouldn't hurt the Cartel Coin market/revenue stream for EA/BioWare but would become a significant currency leech/money sink (Considering it was over 2mil, average, spend to win a Kingpin Rancor)

But at present, the rewards are significantly game breaking and I would suggest immediate suspension of the Slot Machine until it can be more appropriately balanced.

Basically, the vast majority of 'wins' on the slot machine should be a 'push'.. EG another Token to spin.

And maybe 1 out of every ten spins should result in one of the current rewards, with the rarity of the item making it increasingly harder to find.

So, 1 in 10 wins a 'base' prize.

1 in 10 base prizes wins an enhanced prize.

1 in 10 enhanced prizes wins a rare prize.

1 in 10 rare prizes is an very rare prize.

1 in 10 vary rare prizes in an Extremely rare prixe...

etc.

Where the 'base' prizes are the Scavenged Scarp, Green Reputation Items, Blue Companion Gifts,

Enhanced Prizes are a step up, so droid parts, blue rep items, Purple comp gifts, common items from prior shipments.

Rare prizes are Jawa Junk, Purple Rep items, Cartel Certs, uncommon items from prior shipements

Very Rare prizes are very rare items from prior cartel packs

Extremely rare are things like various Thrones, Revan's Mask, White Crystals, etc.

This would convert the current slot machine into an effective tool to remove currency from the economy while still having 'fun' associated with it.

The current Slot Machine is a cash bonanza for the player. its not a good thing.

tl;dr - 20-30 minutes of 'work' can net well over 1 Million in game currency at current GTN market rates for materials and stronghold decoration items.

And that right there, won't last.

"current GTN market rates".

And what do you think will happen to those rates once players start using this?

Rates will plummet and people won't become millionaires.

The only thing that will change is that some items that used to be expensive, will now be cheap.

The only thing that will change is that some items that used to be expensive, will now be cheap.

But at a significant expense to the in game economy, and it will take awhile for the market rates to change, I was already significantly reducing the selling cost by more than half the going rate. If you are mindful of the GTN you can always shift around what specific items you are selling based on what is in short supply as some items sell for a significant amount even though they aren't current top tier (Krayt scales on Jung Ma for example are making 25k each frequently)

The whole thing is, these are significantly out of whack and they will not serve as a currency sink.

Even if the market drops significantly its going to drop to a point where its still easier to 'farm mats' from the slot machine than any other method and the selling cost will reflect the cost of using the slot machine + a small markup.

The machines rate of return really needs to be toned down.

I was essentially winning something useful 2/3's of the time and the cost to me was very low and significantly reduced by selling the reputation items. @20k spent to receive over 20 Jawa Junk items in @ 20-30 minutes.

A significant reduction in rate of return is in order.

Edited by EnkiduNineEight

Saved me the trouble of writing that.

Anyone can run around Yavin 4 and gather materials which they can sell for lot of credits. It's not an exploit to spend hours gathering. The more people that do it, the lower the value of doing it becomes. Same thing with slot machines.

All they have to do is lower the chance of getting purple jawa stuff.

Put it at the same chance as getting the purple reputation stuff and you've got a perfect balance.

But to call it an exploit is kinda absurd.

Yeah, logically you would probably expect # green > # blue > # purple prizes for both the Jawa trade items and the rep items. And so far it seems like the results have been running heavy on the higher quality.

It also seems like the machine has been awfully generous with what it considers to be "jackpot" prizes. It may only be rep items (personally I'd consider the Jawa trade items to be more jackpot worthy) but I've seen more than a few times already streaks of 3 or more jackpots in a row.

What would be ideal rates for them to try to tune the machines to? I took a moment to throw a couple numbers around in a spread sheet to make up an example: Say that the overall targets are 64% common, 33% standard jackpot, and 3% special jackpot, and within a specific category of prize the quality targets are 50% green, 30% blue, and 20% purple. That gave me these overall rates:

Jawa Green 32%

Jawa Blue 19.2%

Jawa Purple 12.8%

Rep Green 16.5%

Rep Blue 9.9%

Rep Purple 6.6%

Certificate 3%

If the prize rates looked more like that we'd see fewer / shorter jackpot streaks and we'd see more overall emphasis on the non-jackpot prizes.

The numbers from the 2 samples in the first post add up to... 52.83% common prizes, 43.77% standard jackpots, and 3.4% special jackpots. So that's roughly a 53:44:3 ratio. And... of the Jawa trade items, 25% were green, 37.14% were blue, and 37.86% were purple. Also, of the rep items, 44.83% were green, 35.34% were blue, and 19.83% were purple... Yeah, the Jawa item drop rates could be rebalanced a bit to make them reach a 45:35:20 ratio like the rep items instead of their current 25:37:38 ratio. (edit: By bringing the Jawa item ratio in line with the rep item ratio, they would cut purple Jawa items from 20% of the drops down to 10.6% of the drops.)

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

Well the suggestions I made were implemented but I believe it was a mistake of correcting just as extremely away from generous as it was overly generous to begin with.

I think this may be temporary as there are posts from some indicating that due to the slot machine and its use near 24/7 they have well over 13,000 to 15,000 purple materials saved up to use in crafting. So one suplly starts to dwindle then they may up the rate of return again, but I hope that this is sooner rather than later.

Increase the odds of getting a new mount by 5 times so it is 5 times more likely than receiving a Kingpin Rancor or about 5 in 100,000 chance.

Make the cost per material for Jawa Junk (by adjusting drop rate percentage in slot machines) so that they cost 50 to 100% more than the materials gathered via Companion Gathering Missions. Mats would still be cheaper than buying from the GTN, but the price per item would make up for the convenience and speed at which they are gathered. Companion gathering Missions would remain the method of choice for the absolute cheapest way to get materials (Purple Mats) but a viable alternative method at a relatively small price premium would exist.

Thanks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.