PVP Sniper question

vvov

So just curious reading all the tool tips and spec abilities , am I right in assumming Marksman is best spec for pvp?

Or am I possibly missing something.

thank you in advance.

Completely depends on your game style... I've used Marksman since launch... But I know others swear by the other 2

Completely depends on your game style... I've used Marksman since launch... But I know others swear by the other 2

Thank you for the response, I just find marksman has a higher burst potiental..and with utilites i have 2 knockbacks to get my burst off smoother..and i have trouble kiting in the other 2 specs..maybe it is my playstyle.

Arenas are full of LOS, and the other two specs have the potential to be very annoying by "actually kiting". MM is great for bursting down people in clear sights, but when you're left 1v1, especially against someone with instant cast heals and/or vanish, you'll get LOS'ed and whittled down to death.

The same 1v1 problem presents itself in ACW, near the nodes. It's exacerbated at the side nodes. It's very annoying, but I guess that's a structural deficiency with MM, and partially Virulence too. Engineering has a lot of insta-casts, but haven't tried it in PVP yet.

You'll also be focused first, and Virulence and Engineering both have some nice deterrents MM does not have for being focused by melee. Virulence roll leaves a slow behind, and Engineering can (theoretically) punish melee focus by leaving AOE's on top of himself while hitting people, demand people not follow a straight path to him by scatter bombs.

However, the other two specs can have their entire damage negated by Assassins because of a well-timed Shroud. Marksmanship is much better against Assassins, and can win most 1v1's against (most of - they have a bit too much utility for people who can use 'em) them if there is no LOS issues.

TLDR: Marksmanship is the turret, gun-down-anything-in-sight spec. It doesn't perform as well against classes who can exploit the fact that anything actually damaging from you must be channel casted.

Edited by Metthew

It really all depends on your playstyle.

MM is great for single target burst in a clear line of sight, but lacks when the targets like to hide. It is the least mobile if the specs.

Engineering is a great AOE utility/support spec but is still capable nice single target bust when required. It's in the middle of mobility.

Lethality (or whatever it's called now) is great for sustained damage on a single target, and is the most mobile of the specs.

I am unsure if you have Virulence and Engineering backwards there or not. Virulence's key hitting ability must be channelled in clear sights for its full duration. Engineering's heavy burst'er (Explosive Probe, detonated with an EMP discharge in theory) does not require standing still, i.e. EP + SoS burst is only optional.

I won't be disagreeing too strongly though, as I don't have much experience with Engineering. You probably have a valid reason for believing so, and I am curious.

Edited by Metthew

I am unsure if you have Virulence and Engineering backwards there or not. Virulence's key hitting ability must be channelled in clear sights for its full duration. Engineering's heavy burst'er (Explosive Probe, detonated with an EMP discharge in theory) does not require standing still, i.e. EP + SoS burst is only optional.

I won't be disagreeing too strongly though, as I don't have much experience with Engineering. You probably have a valid reason for believing so, and I am curious.

Engineering usually uses explosive probe-> SoS to burst, but i'm probably still used to needing to be in cover to use explosive probe, while lethality always could DOT while on the move.

Sure but as a sniper you know the issue of being out of cover too long. Every second we spend out of cover could potentially hurt us. We're not as bound in that sense like the mm rotation but series of shot is still an important part of our rotation.

Just because engineering has skills that can be used whilst on the move doesn't necessarily say that moving around is a good idea. In that sense we have the same restrictions as marksman. You do solo q so you should know what I'm getting at...if I haven't explained what I mean well enough :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.