What is the point of Ultimate Comms now?

Lupious

If ToS and Rav are the only OPs really dropping them (I'm not including NiM DP/DF, since not a lot of people will do that for Ultimate Comms), what is the point? The 192 SM token gear from ToS and RaV are pretty close to equivalent, and even better in some circumstances than 198 comm gear. So this change just made 198 gear virtually irrelevant.

I don't mind the change so much as I don't understand the implementation. If this coincided with making 198 comm gear better than 192 Rav/TOS gear it would make sense, but as it's being implemented Ultimate Comms and 198 comm gear just became completely irrelevant.

The point is that the top level of gear should be obtained by doing the top level of content. I seriously don't understand how people can possibly be complaining about this.

This so much. Why should 55 operations reward TOP ENDGAME GEAR? People just want easy gear without having to do the new operations because they are "hard".

The point is that the top level of gear should be obtained by doing the top level of content. I seriously don't understand how people can possibly be complaining about this.

198 comms gear isn't the top level of gear...

It is perhaps the third or second level of gear, with token gear being higher...

198 gear not only just became rather pointless for the most part (maybe OH will still be useful), but it also became so much harder to get that I think a lot of people will just give up.

You must be new here. :rak_03:

Edited by Frybert

It's not the top level of gear. It's below 198 HM and in most cases 192 SM. That's the point - There is no point in getting 198 comm gear now. I totally respect that end game gear should be hard to get. I would be totally fine with the changes if they bumped the 198 comm gear's stats, but right now it's like 3rd best so there is no reason to get it, given the difficult of getting Ultimate Commendations.

Story Mode ToS/Ravagers is better gear so what is the 198 Comm gear for now? Companions? Again, I'm not complaining about the changes to Ultimate Commendations, I just don't understand their purpose in the game now. Prior to this change, you could farm Ultimate Commendations to help get you through ToS/Ravagers story mode (not that you really needed them but...). Now....you're getting Ultimate Commendations from the same OPs that give better gear than the Ultimate Commendations. Makes no sense.

Edited by Lupious

Small guilds and plenty of individuals can't farm the new Ops token gear that much. Especially if they don't have multiple level 60s. We can only play these Ops once a week and for those that have to depend on pugs, comms gear helps them at the very least not to be under-geared too much and increase chances that an op is actually completed.

But that's just one point that comes to mind.

198 comms gear isn't the top level of gear...

It is perhaps the third or second level of gear, with token gear being higher...

198 gear not only just became rather pointless for the most part (maybe OH will still be useful), but it also became so much harder to get that I think a lot of people will just give up.

Lets re word that RAID GEAR IS NOT NEEDED (even a itsy bitty bit) AT ALL. Plus expecting high end 60 gear from 55 content is asinine.

Edited by Jrr_hypernova

^^ Nothing more need be said really.

OK.. one thing.... 192s are preparation ahead of whatever next tier is next. In other words.. there is no hurry.

Edited by Andryah

It's not the top level of gear. It's below 198 HM and in most cases 192 SM. That's the point - There is no point in getting 198 comm gear now. I totally respect that end game gear should be hard to get. I would be totally fine with the changes if they bumped the 198 comm gear's stats, but right now it's like 3rd best so there is no reason to get it, given the difficult of getting Ultimate Commendations.

Story Mode ToS/Ravagers is better gear so what is the 198 Comm gear for now? Companions? Again, I'm not complaining about the changes to Ultimate Commendations, I just don't understand their purpose in the game now. Prior to this change, you could farm Ultimate Commendations to help get you through ToS/Ravagers story mode (not that you really needed them but...). Now....you're getting Ultimate Commendations from the same OPs that give better gear than the Ultimate Commendations. Makes no sense.

This is exactly what I read from your original post, rather than assuming you were qq'ing that ultimates were harder to get, as lots of posters in this thread have.

I also completely agree with you - regardless of how difficult or not they are to obtain, what is the point of them? You only get them from the new ops (and not very many) and the gear that those ops drop is generally better anyway. The only thing worth having for ultimate comms is the offhand, that's it.

Edited by Ayakin_Solaris

I thought there was a new decision - I can't believe people are still up in arms about something that's a no-brainer.

This is exactly what I read from your original post, rather than assuming you were qq'ing that ultimates were harder to get, as lots of posters in this thread have.

I also completely agree with you - regardless of how difficult or not they are to obtain, what is the point of them? You only get them from the new ops (and not very many) and the gear that those ops drop is generally better anyway. The only thing worth having for ultimate comms is the offhand, that's it.

Do you know why commendations exist in the first place? Why they were invented? So that people who did endgame content could make some progress towards gear even if they were unlucky and the piece they needed didn't drop that week.

The fact that you can buy operation/raid-level gear at all, even if poorly itemized, by doing much easier content, like level 55 OPs or tactical flashpoints, is quite a gift already.

Do you know why commendations exist in the first place? Why they were invented? So that people who did endgame content could make some progress towards gear even if they were unlucky and the piece they needed didn't drop that week.

The fact that you can buy operation/raid-level gear at all, even if poorly itemized, by doing much easier content, like level 55 OPs or tactical flashpoints, is quite a gift already.

Exactly this. ^^^

I was just about to make this point, but you beat me to it.

This is a guaranteed solution to provide that only the top raiding guilds will be able to progress and compete with each other, stand out from the crowd. An interesting experiment to separate the serious players from the "non-serious" as seen in the eyes of the "elitists" or the in-crowd that got carried through the content. Maybe it should have been that way from the start, IDK. I predict the F2P players will continue to come in and ruin the elitist's day, some with more skill than the in-crowd. However the "middle-class" players who also have a job and sub are going to unsub. Depending how this patch continues to go I may be one of them. In preparation I canceled my re-occurring payments, not directly because of this but due to all the other negative impacts that already have occurred. I can't help but to have noticed that many of these "elitists" where coincidentally the same ones who where invited to beta test this release on the PTS and I see a sub-par result, the game is not to be user-friendly, still easy, just more of a class structure that on the inside you can't see what it looks like from the outside. I hope that narrow demographic pays the bills and keeps the game going for them. After all, I love this game, if you love it also you would be thinking about it's longevity because I have witnessed a lot of games die and they all do, just some sooner than others. Compromise, comm gear is not the BiS and there is no reason for the elitists to be jealous of casuals obtaining them through the grind. Edited by DyreMaker

This so much. Why should 55 operations reward TOP ENDGAME GEAR? People just want easy gear without having to do the new operations because they are "hard".

this thread should combine to other thread name "old raid mmo xxx" to see how ppl hate to raid if u take out gears.

This is a guaranteed solution to provide that only the top raiding guilds will be able to progress and compete with each other, stand out from the crowd. An interesting experiment to separate the serious players from the "non-serious" as seen in the eyes of the "elitists" or the in-crowd that got carried through the content. Maybe it should have been that way from the start, IDK. I predict the F2P players will continue to come in and ruin the elitist's day, some with more skill than the in-crowd. However the "middle-class" players who also have a job and sub are going to unsub. Depending how this patch continues to go I may be one of them. In preparation I canceled my re-occurring payments, not directly because of this but due to all the other negative impacts that already have occurred. I can't help but to have noticed that many of these "elitists" where coincidentally the same ones who where invited to beta test this release on the PTS and I see a sub-par result, the game is not to be user-friendly, still easy, just more of a class structure that on the inside you can't see what it looks like from the outside. I hope that narrow demographic pays the bills and keeps the game going for them. After all, I love this game, if you love it also you would be thinking about it's longevity because I have witnessed a lot of games die and they all do, just some sooner than others. Compromise, comm gear is not the BiS and there is no reason for the elitists to be jealous of casuals obtaining them through the grind.

You may well have made some valid points but I cba to read the vast chunk of text that is your post - use paragraphs!

This is a guaranteed solution to provide that only the top raiding guilds will be able to progress and compete with each other, stand out from the crowd. An interesting experiment to separate the serious players from the "non-serious" as seen in the eyes of the "elitists" or the in-crowd that got carried through the content. Maybe it should have been that way from the start, IDK. I predict the F2P players will continue to come in and ruin the elitist's day, some with more skill than the in-crowd. However the "middle-class" players who also have a job and sub are going to unsub. Depending how this patch continues to go I may be one of them. In preparation I canceled my re-occurring payments, not directly because of this but due to all the other negative impacts that already have occurred. I can't help but to have noticed that many of these "elitists" where coincidentally the same ones who where invited to beta test this release on the PTS and I see a sub-par result, the game is not to be user-friendly, still easy, just more of a class structure that on the inside you can't see what it looks like from the outside. I hope that narrow demographic pays the bills and keeps the game going for them. After all, I love this game, if you love it also you would be thinking about it's longevity because I have witnessed a lot of games die and they all do, just some sooner than others. Compromise, comm gear is not the BiS and there is no reason for the elitists to be jealous of casuals obtaining them through the grind.

I've gotta say that I saw so many people in level 55 sm Ops since 3.0 who were running them for the first time. Lots of "vets" were happy to explain the fights and what not to these "new to endgame" players and I feel that by not even leaving the comms in SnV / TFB / DF / DP HM that those newer raiders will just stop because there won't be any vets to show them the ropes. It's unrealistic that those newer endgame players will just make the jump to DF / DP NiM. I hope many stick around for Ravagers and ToS though.

I've gotta say that I saw so many people in level 55 sm Ops since 3.0 who were running them for the first time. Lots of "vets" were happy to explain the fights and what not to these "new to endgame" players and I feel that by not even leaving the comms in SnV / TFB / DF / DP HM that those newer raiders will just stop because there won't be any vets to show them the ropes. It's unrealistic that those newer endgame players will just make the jump to DF / DP NiM. I hope many stick around for Ravagers and ToS though.

Meanwhile, a certain sort of endgamer is enthusiastically cheering Bioware's decision, making sure the wall stays nice and high and intact.

I think this decision will only last a month or so. When they realize nobody runs the 55's at all anymore, they will realize they have to do something to incentivize 60's to participate in outdated content. Circle of development life and all.

They have to make the change and watch the results to know that?

What idiots are running this place? A 10 year old could have told them that...

That is what our guild was doing... we have a lot of new members since 3.0 launched, we cleaned out the older players who hadn't been on in more than 90 days and started inviting... a bunch of people subbed for 3.0 and leveled up using 12x XP and were ready for ops, so the old hands took them through S&V, TFB, DF, and DP... it got everyone involved gear and comms and taught a bunch of new people how ops work.

Now... they won't be doing that anymore...

Our ops leaders aren't even running Ravagers and ToS much yet, too buggy, two much lag...

It's a horrible decision by itself. Only a few people in this thread understood my OP, so for those that didn't, I COMPLETELY understand removing Ultimate Comms from 55 ops. HOWEVER, what I don't understand is why they didn't do anything to make Ultimate Comm gear more desirable at the same time. Again, the SM OPs that drop the Ultimate Comms ALSO drop gear that is BETTER than Ultimate Comm gear. That makes absolutely no sense.

Either keep Comm gear inferior, and allow Ultimate Comms to be gathered from 55 content, or Make Comm gear superior and don't allow Comm gear to be gathered from 55 content. This is the crux of it.

... they have to do something to incentivize 60's to participate in outdated content.

Agree with this. However instead of reverting the commendations change, they could

A) Make Elite commendations more worthwhile. Examples:

- Matter Transubstantiator purchasable with Elite commendations

- Unlettered 186 Purple Mods purchaseable with Elite commendations

B) Add new loot to the Operations

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.