Name purge wave #2

Jesseriah

I think it's time for a new wave of name purges! Its impossible to make a new charakter with a good name that makes sense especially on the older servers because every good name is blocked by a charakter below lvl 30. Even some names are blocked by chars staying at lvl 50 for years. (I got one in my Friendlist which stays for 1 1/2 years at lvl 50 now, and another one at 42. No chance to get the name because the support won't change them)

What do you think?

I think it's time for a new wave of name purges! Its impossible to make a new charakter with a good name that makes sense especially on the older servers because every good name is blocked by a charakter below lvl 30. Even some names are blocked by chars staying at lvl 50 for years. (I got one in my Friendlist which stays for 1 1/2 years at lvl 50 now, and another one at 42. No chance to get the name because the support won't change them)

What do you think?

+1 to this. I get so annoyed that most good names are taken by lvl 50's who have quit years ago.

No thanks.

If you've managed without the name for 3 years, you can certainly survive a bit longer without it.

Name purges may benefit a small group of picky players who want specific names, but it deters former players from returning.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the idea of a name purge. I have several characters, some of which are intentionally left at lower levels for RP reasons, and the names I chose are a part of the naming "concept" I have for my legacy.

I wouldn't mind if they changed the way that naming a character works overall to include a "last name" (not necessarily the legacy name) to keep them unique, but I am against a purge of existing character names.

Name purge for inactive accounts? OK by me.

Name purge based on time-at-CL? No thank you.

Edit: Active subs should NEVER have their names purged. I think paying every month should preserve your characters.

Edited by Feargal

Um...NO....

I'm sure whenever this new "Mega Server" rumor potentially turns in to reality this might not be a problem. Cause way too many duplicates across the servers would be a complete nightmare and need a work around then.

That's one of the reasons why I went on my main and made a character with that same name on every server. Even in the event of a merge, I'm guaranteed to keep my main's name, at the very least.

I think it's time they did another name purge, not because I'm too unoriginal to come up with my own names, but because things like that need to happen from time to time just to unclog the pipes.

I think the criteria from last time were fine for the most part except the upper cutoff level should be lvl 50 this time.

Here's how it worked last time:

If you are a Free-to-Play player:

If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 60 days, your character will be flagged for rename.

If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 120 days, your character will be flagged for rename.

Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.

If you are a Preferred Status player:

If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 90 days, your character will be flagged for rename

If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 180 days, your character will be flagged for rename.

Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.

Current subscribers would remain completely unaffected.

Increasing the upper cutoff level to 50 would also catch all those people who abandoned the game prior to RotHC.

I'd like them to take it a step further and outright delete the F2P characters below level 10 since the vast majority of those are credit spammers.

Maybe increase the delete cutoff to 90 days.

They can have a purge every 5 minutes, but if the name you want just so happens to be held by an NPC in an obscure corner of the game, you can't have it.

Thus, don't just have a purge, they need to reform the naming system entirely.

I support this. There needs to be another name purge. It would have to follow the following rules though:

-All subscriber characters, regardless of activity or level will not be touched.

-Account activity is irrelevant. You have to be active on that specific character to avoid the name purge for that specific name.

-"Purged" names are not removed from the original characters. Instead, the names are merely flagged and when someone new tries to use that name, they are given the message that the name is in limbo and if no one attempts to use that character within the next few days, they may have the name permanently. Likewise, the original character will be messaged that their name is up for grabs and that they are encouraged to log in to re secure it.

-New players attempting to use a flagged name will be allowed to use that flagged name temporarily until the original character responds to the message or until the deadline expires. (They can log in within the few days or they can ignore it).

Requirements for the purge:

-Free player characters under level 10 that have been inactive for more than 30 days. (Preferred players have 45 days)

-Free player characters under level 30 that have been inactive for more than 90 days. (Preferred players have 120 days)

-Free player characters over level 30 that have been inactive for 270 days. (Preferred players have 300 days)

I've had a name stolen from me during the first server merge. And the player who has it has not logged in once since I've been on the new server. Means he has been inactive for 2 years.

Aside from that, people are resorting to names with weird characters. That raises inconveniences in game when trying to interact in various ways. It's not impossible to do, but it's just an annoyance that could be avoided by letting them have the name they want.

I think the rules I mentioned are perfectly fair and will easily sort out those who care about their names and those who don't anymore.

You people need to think a bit more outside the box. Purges will only get you so far, giving the name system a complete overhaul will allow everyone to have the character name they want, spelled the way they want, and no conflict over who got it first or who hasn't logged in since the game was launched.

They can have a purge every 5 minutes, but if the name you want just so happens to be held by an NPC in an obscure corner of the game, you can't have it.

Thus, don't just have a purge, they need to reform the naming system entirely.

This ^^.

I smell a little bit of butthurt on part of the OP, and I do not think another name purge would do you any good. The people with "cool names" would just log onto those characters to not get caught in it.

What Fevee says is true, however.

The system was placed there to protect intellectual property, so that palyers didn't run around as a Leia or a Luke Skywalker. But the problem is, there are many Leías running around, so they didn't really solve that problem, and Luke was an Earth name for eons, before George Lucas was even born. I fail to see how he - or Disney, or LucasFilm, or anyone - can lay claim to that first name, or how BioWare can lay claim to Nik - which is a Russian name, for instance -- because they had some Nautolan questgiver with it.

Characters are identified by their CharIDs, not names; so it should not interfere with the gamem meta. ANd you don't exactly find NPCs queuing up for groupfinder, so that won't be effected if they are on /ignore.

Name purge for inactive accounts? OK by me.

Name purge based on time-at-CL? No thank you.

Edit: Active subs should NEVER have their names purged. I think paying every month should preserve your characters.

Although I agree it's time for a name purge, I totally agree with this poster that active accounts shouldn't be touched, even if an alt hasn't been looked at for a long time. As long as the account is active, it should be safe from any name purges.

However, there are accounts that haven't been touched in over a year and aren't subscription, those name purges makes sense.

I think it's time they did another name purge, not because I'm too unoriginal to come up with my own names, but because things like that need to happen from time to time just to unclog the pipes.

I think the criteria from last time were fine for the most part except the upper cutoff level should be lvl 50 this time.

Here's how it worked last time:

Current subscribers would remain completely unaffected.

Increasing the upper cutoff level to 50 would also catch all those people who abandoned the game prior to RotHC.

I'd like them to take it a step further and outright delete the F2P characters below level 10 since the vast majority of those are credit spammers.

Maybe increase the delete cutoff to 90 days.

This +1

That's what i was talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

ABSOLUTELY! I lost a couple names in the great server mergers of 2012. Some names have been unavailable for even longer (how, I have no idea). CS won't even flag inactive names for active players wanting to PAY for a name change. Bioware turning down money? **GASP**

In my days of playing (/shudder) WoW - Blizzard would free up names that have been inactive on accounts that are no longer active, in favor of active players wishing to pay them for the name change service already available.

if that is too demanding on the CS crew, adding additional work to their everyday duties, then go with another global purge. I want my launch names back already!

That's one of the reasons why I went on my main and made a character with that same name on every server. Even in the event of a merge, I'm guaranteed to keep my main's name, at the very least.

That's what I did, you can't be to cautious.

There's no need for this. A purge doesn't guarantee you get the name you want. This would be time and resources wasted.
It really wouldn't.

The code for it already exists so the work has been done.

Pretty much all they have to do is flip the on switch again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.