Bolster and Augments?

Shirvington

Ok, here's an odd observation. In WZ, my Scoundrel healer had 44954 health. He has a full set of Exhumed, each piece has an augment slot but no augments added.

I bring 7 augments into a WZ and add them in the pre-match. To my chagrin, my health goes DOWN from 44954 to 44826. ????

All the augments were Advanced 36s, My power increases ~5 per augment but my health does in fact go down with each augment added.

I thought Bolster was ignoring augments, but clearly it is not. It raises a lot of questions. How does Bolster take augments into consideration since its not taking the augments on face value? Does Bolster treat gear differently if it has an open augment slot or not (that is, if it sees a piece of gear with an open augment slot, will it fill in the slot with a bolstered value)? It is really worth it to craft Advanced augments or should we stick with blues or worse, no augments/no augment slots?

Edited by Shirvington

Ok, here's an odd observation. In WZ, my Scoundrel healer had 44954 health. He has a full set of Exhumed, each piece has an augment slot but no augments added.

I bring 7 augments into a WZ and add them in the pre-match. To my chagrin, my health goes DOWN from 44954 to 44826. ????

All the augments were Advanced 36s, My power increases ~5 per augment but my health does in fact go down with each augment added.

I thought Bolster was ignoring augments, but clearly it is not. It raises a lot of questions. How does Bolster take augments into consideration since its not taking the augments on face value? Does Bolster treat gear differently if it has an open augment slot or not (that is, if it sees a piece of gear with an open augment slot, will it fill in the slot with a bolstered value)? It is really worth it to craft Advanced augments or should we stick with blues or worse, no augments/no augment slots?

Bolster uses Fortitude Prototype Augments since 3.0

Bolster uses Fortitude Prototype Augments since 3.0

So how does one augment his gear, then? Does Bolster only add the prototype fort augment if you have an augment in there? So do I add the augment slot and leave it blank... or add the augment slot and toss a green in there?

Are there any point in augmenting a tank (jugg) then?

YEAH ! i want to know *** BioFAIl was thinking yet again,

WHY even augment at all then for PVP ? if Health goes DOWN by equiping Advanced augments (over the prototype blue quality you said is in bolster in 3.0) for what LESS HP and microscopic more power ?????????

Edited by Rheemus

So how does one augment his gear, then? Does Bolster only add the prototype fort augment if you have an augment in there? So do I add the augment slot and leave it blank... or add the augment slot and toss a green in there?

If there is nothing either in the slot or just no slot, bolster will use Fortitude Prototype Augment. It's the only thing I'm actually sure. I don't know exactly how bolster interact with green augments...

YEAH ! i want to know *** BioFAIl was thinking yet again,

WHY even augment at all then for PVP ? if Health goes DOWN by equiping Advanced augments (over the prototype blue quality you said is in bolster in 3.0) for what LESS HP and microscopic more power ?????????

Eh? Stat customization? Why would I want more HP as a DPS/healer.... Having more main stat/power/crit is always better.

And for tank? Advanced is still better than Prototype.

Eh? Stat customization? Why would I want more HP as a DPS/healer.... Having more main stat/power/crit is always better.

And for tank? Advanced is still better than Prototype.

That is not the point. The problem is that the cost of min-maxing is ridiculous (augmentation kit + augmentation cost + augment). While augments are important in PVE, the marginal change in stats makes it almost irrelevant in warzones or arenas.

That is not the point. The problem is that the cost of min-maxing is ridiculous (augmentation kit + augmentation cost + augment). While augments are important in PVE, the marginal change in stats makes it almost irrelevant in warzones or arenas.

Buying and installing MK-X kits isn't that bad if you do it slowly during your leveling.. Then you just need to buy the augments themselves once at 60... The cost is far from prohibitive if you plan it out.

I will start off by saying that i don't know the stats of all the augments, but bolster will add fortitude augs in your gear at the beginning of a match. if you are waiting until you enter the match to add augments (why would you do that anyways), the endurance stat of the augments you are adding are probably less than the fortitude augs, which is why your health dropped.

Then don't augment, that's what I'm doing and that's why it was implemented. To lessen the gear gap.

I added the augments in the WZ because I was curious about how Bolster affects them and I wanted to compare before and after.

So to summarize: without augments on your gear, Bolster will add a blue Fort augment. If you put a different augment in, Bolster will take whichever augment you place instead.

So then the question becomes "Is it worth it to spend the resources to craft Advanced augments (the time and/or credits for the purple slicing mats) if the change in stats one gets from adding the augment is over a default blue Fort augment rather than no augment at all?"

Yes, people will always min-max, but in the grand scheme of things, is it really worth it for the delta over the default blue Fort augment in PvP? In PvE, you get the full value, but in PvP, you only get a partial stat increase but the cost is the same to craft it.

What's everyone's take on augments in PvP? Worth it or don't bother?

I added the augments in the WZ because I was curious about how Bolster affects them and I wanted to compare before and after.

So to summarize: without augments on your gear, Bolster will add a blue Fort augment. If you put a different augment in, Bolster will take whichever augment you place instead.

So then the question becomes "Is it worth it to spend the resources to craft Advanced augments (the time and/or credits for the purple slicing mats) if the change in stats one gets from adding the augment is over a default blue Fort augment rather than no augment at all?"

Yes, people will always min-max, but in the grand scheme of things, is it really worth it for the delta over the default blue Fort augment in PvP? In PvE, you get the full value, but in PvP, you only get a partial stat increase but the cost is the same to craft it.

What's everyone's take on augments in PvP? Worth it or don't bother?

I would rephrase the question: what are the odds that the outcome of a warzone or an arena is going to be decided by a certain player having artifact augments instead of bolstered prototypes? Definitely not zero, but you should also decide whether min-maxing augments is worth those matches.

To avoid further flames and name callings, all I say is do the mats and combine it with your experience, how you see people acting in PVP, how much skill, team setup, reaction time, control, team work and even lag matters.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.