Idea for players to manage credit spammers

Soul_of_Flames

The idea for a text filter has been tossed around a lot. I personally do not like this idea. The reason why is because not every instance of flagged text is spam.

So when someone gets flagged for just joking about a credit spammer, then it becomes an issue.

However, what if it wasn't regulated by the game's systems? But rather by individual players themselves?

Follow me with this:

People don't like spammers simply because they are annoying. It honestly doesn't matter if they are banned or are just ignored. As long as their spam isn't seen, players don't care.

So... what if there was a chat feature given to all players that allowed players to filter text they didn't want to see? Or even possibly auto-ignore players using their flagged text?

I imagine it like this: I open my preferences and go to chat. I get the option to go to a menu where I can enter words or phrases that I want filtered from my chat. Then, I can set the actions taken when those flagged words/phrases enter my chat. For example, I can simply ***** them out like profanity, or I can have the game auto-ignore the player or I can simply have the entire message simply not appear in my chatbox.

You could completely cripple the credit spammer's advertizing if you gave players the ability to deny chat messages containing text they don't want to see.

And the best part about this feature is that it isn't imposing on other players. If it was a global system, then players who aren't spamming could possibly be flagged for simply talking about spammers. But if the system is client based, it varies client to client with no repurcussions on anyone's reputation or game access.

problem is the players that are annoyed and have no intention of buying credits from these spammers aren't exactly their target... so they'll happily go along spamming their thing on and on anyway.. just you wont see it.

but sure i wouldn't mind having the ability to filter out whatever i dont want to see in chat either.. so yeah if it can be done im all for it.

Want to actually solve the problem? Park in game CSR's (do we have these? I've never seen one if we do. I know apparently some devs play but in game CSR's would obviously be different) on fleet who will monitor all fleet barking and perma-ban any account barking, selling credits/exploits, etc so on and so forth. Done - several issues resolved in a swift hit.

Text filtering would be great, but it doesn't actually resolve the issue... to resolve the issue, they need actual feet on the ground, taking these people out of the game for whatever reason. In game CSR's (yes, actual chars and no, they don't have to be physically present 24/7, just monitoring) would clean the game up a lot, something which is hugely needed. Hugely needed, right now.

The suggestion is for players to manage the spamming easier. I don't really care how Bioware is treating them because it honestly doesn't matter to me once I can't see what they are saying.

As an added bonus, the filter applies to other things besides credit spammers. I was only using credit spammers as a hook for the idea.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.