Whats the point of upgrading sabers before 60?

Demientos

New player here, I was just curious...

I took on the Artificer crew skill because I was interested in making lightsabers and upgrades for them. I was excited to be able to do this until I realized there was no upgrade you could make, or one that I could see that increases damage to your lightsaber on either the min or max or overall.

This sparked a thought about why anyone would buy such a weak lightsaber from the cartel market that doesn't increase in damage. I'm Level 16 and I already have a much better saber than anything available on the market, so what's the use here?

The sabers you buy on the cartel market can be upgraded with enhancements that you buy with commendations (as well as with crystals available on the cartel market). You can buy them with the specific attributes that are best for your class. I find myself choosing commendations as mission rewards a lot because the offered armor/sabers are far weaker than the upgradable items I have equipped.

You can survive fine without them, though. You might just have to do a lot more side quests to find the best gear.

ok first off orange gear is a kind of gear that you can upgrade with modifications such as mods, armorings, enhancements, hilts etc. Thats the kinda gear you'll find on the cartel market.

So there is no modification that adds more damage? you need to look at your stats again and what they all do, if you're a worrior your main stat is strength and that will add to your max damage, if your an inquisitor its willpower. So in artificing you can craft hilts and enhancements that you can put into your orange lightsaber.

So why should you buy orange gear when it comes statless when you can just find or buy gear that already has stats?

this way you choose how you look without having to change gear becuse you found an upgrade.. you can upgrade the gear you have. One way is useing commendations at the feet vendors.

New player here, I was just curious...

I took on the Artificer crew skill because I was interested in making lightsabers and upgrades for them. I was excited to be able to do this until I realized there was no upgrade you could make, or one that I could see that increases damage to your lightsaber on either the min or max or overall.

This sparked a thought about why anyone would buy such a weak lightsaber from the cartel market that doesn't increase in damage. I'm Level 16 and I already have a much better saber than anything available on the market, so what's the use here?

Not sure where you got the idea that you can't do it, but with Artifice, you can make hilts for modable sabers. And as you level up both your character and your Artifice skill, you will be able to make and use better hilts, which will increase the damage of your saber(s).

An upgraded barrel or hilt will directly increase the damage an orange weapon does.

In the case of sabers, simply pop in a hilt upgrade and watch the base damage numbers go up.

Keep in mind that "lightsabers" and "hilts" each have their own separate section in your recipes. Also, your skill will start so low that you can't make anything that will be an upgrade for you. That's a common problem while leveling crew skills. Mostly crew skills are to outfit your alts or maybe your companions in good gear while they level: not you.

If you really crank the crew skill and manage to find materials to do it with, so that you can make on-level upgrades for yourself, you'll usually go broke doing it (unless you have a level 60 main with 1million+ credits to help).

Edited by Fidelicatessen

Making green Lightsabres and upgrading them to blue & violet is cheaper - at least I think so - than replacing modifications - at least at lower levels.

Because extracting the modifications, and before that getting the stuff together to craft them, consumes some money, too.

In my case, I do it just for fun ;) and indeed for my low-level alts as well.

Because extracting the modifications, and before that getting the stuff together to craft them, consumes some money, too.
Don't bother pulling mods or enhancements when upgrading, just put the new ones in over them. You won't get back more for selling the old one than it costs to remove it.

Armorings, barrels, and hilts usually sell for a little more than it costs to remove them, but generally only the green or blue ones. And at higher levels not even those.

• 3 weeks later...

The point of upgrading sabers is to increase damage. That's it in a nutshell. If, for example, you are playing as a Sith Warrior (i.e. - DPS) then, as stated, your primary attribute is Strength. But there's a little more nuance to that.

Strength will only take you so far before you see diminishing returns. Your secondary attribute - which is not uncommonly overlooked - is Power. Power, unlike Strength, does not hit that point where each additional point offers less and less damage. Finally, your tertiary attribute is Endurance. This, obviously, is your HP. The more Endurance you have, the more damage you can take. Although you are not a Tank, you are still going to be in the thick of things so you need to be able to take abuse. If there is a quaternary attribute, it's probably your Crit rating (your chance to crit) although it may also be Surge.

In short, you should look for upgrades that offer Power. If you are melee, then really, you can make due with Might Armoring, which will give you plenty of Strength and Endurance. The Power attribute is what you are looking for.

Bringing it all back to your question, there are 4 upgrade slots to a saber (counting the augment slot). This means you can level your saber up with you as you go along. If you are level 30, there is no reason to be using a saber that is usable by a level 22 toon. And, by upgrading your saber, you are maxing out the damage that you can deal at any given level. Moreover, you can customize it to your needs at any given point. If you need more Endurance, you can add an upgrade that offers more Endurance. Additionally, this frees up the gear that you find to be sold on the GTN or at a vendor.

As a final note, when asked to choose your reward, personally, I recommend going with commendations. Commendations can be used to buy upgrades at the fleet so that your saber is maxed out at any given time.

This goes for all of your gear. Keep upgrading all of it to make sure that you are maxing out whatever level you're at.

I would suggest that the point of upgrading your weapon is much the same as upgrading any other item. The stats on the lightsaber will add to your overall stats. There is also the increased damage output, but the stats boost from the mod and enhancement (or from the overall weapon stats if it's not mod-able) are just a useful as the boost from any other item such as your armor pieces, earpiece, implants, etc.

I would suggest that the point of upgrading your weapon is much the same as upgrading any other item. The stats on the lightsaber will add to your overall stats. There is also the increased damage output, but the stats boost from the mod and enhancement (or from the overall weapon stats if it's not mod-able) are just a useful as the boost from any other item such as your armor pieces, earpiece, implants, etc.

The saber is actually MORE important to upgrade than all your other gear.

But only the hilt: the hilt directly affects the base damage of the saber. This is more important than even your primary stat. The higher the rating on the hilt, the more damage you will do.

Strength will only take you so far before you see diminishing returns. Your secondary attribute - which is not uncommonly overlooked - is Power. Power, unlike Strength, does not hit that point where each additional point offers less and less damage.

That post is utter nonsense.

Diminishing returns (which you don't seem to understand) is not a significant factor on primary stats such as strength

First of all, for any class their primary stat gives both bonus damage and critical chance to all their abilities.

The bonus damage does not have any diminishing returns at all, but is always exactly the same per 1 point of strength no matter how much of strength you have.

The critical chance from primary stats does have diminishing returns but it really does not get significant until such high amounts of these stats that it is impossible to get that much anyway. (and also note that how much critical rating you have does not affect this in anyway as each stat has a completely separate dr curve)

note:

You do want to choose mods with highest power instead of highest main stat, but that has absolutely nothing to do with any diminishing returns.

Rather the dps value of main stat and power are pretty close, but the mods with higher power have greater combined amount of main stat and power than main stat heavy mods.

Edited by Eternalnight

The point of upgrading your weapon is not the same as any other item.

Upgrading your main hand weapon, and specifically its hilt/barrel which is the part that determines weapon damage rating, will increase your dps by at least ten times more than upgrading any other item.

Upgrading the barrel/hilt will also increase the force power or techpower stat (which affects all those abilities that are not affected by the weapon damage rating) on the weapon and it is also a big deal as it gains numerically much bigger increase than any other stat.

train hilts at your trainer, RE them into blue version and the into purple version, those are, once swapped in a purple/orange moddable saber, better than green/blue unmoddable drops.

and at endgame theres high demand of hilts and enhancements( RE rishi/yavin story enhancements for good 186 parts)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.