SWTOR Sequel

Vanisher

I recently came across this

http://www.starwars7news.com/2014/07/swtor-sequel-possibly-canon.html

If there is any truth to this Bioware I hope you can take some lessons on the short comings of your current MMO SWTOR. The main reason this game didn't become the WOW killer it was hyped up to be and to be an amazing MMO is you created a niche game of raid grind only and you alienated the rest of the gaming community. As noted in the below links.

p://massively.joystiq.com/2014/11...aiding-part-1/

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/11/25/the-soapbox-six-reasons-mmos-should-abandon-raiding-part-2/

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/11/26/the-soapbox-six-reasons-mmos-should-abandon-raiding-part-3/

To make this game better or a sequel which that would improve on this game take a look back at what made Star Wars Galaxies a great game. It was a sandbox type MMO and its that type of immersion and thinking and innovation that future MMO's will be taking. SWG was a success and the environment that it had has fostered innovation for the new EVERQUEST NEXT that is yet to come out and that's probably going to be the WOW killer. So to compete with that you need to be sand box just like them you can't compete vs a sandbox MMO if you are not a Sandbox MMO yourself. And I think with the greatness that Star Wars is and the following if you could create a great game in the Star Wars universe like SWG and add your story telling elements that made kotor great and te story line of this game great I think you would have a hit on your hands.

I strongly think crafting needs to be a huge part of the new game having the crafting part of the game support the PVE and pvp parts of the game. Because you will have a huge segment wanting to just craft you will capture that crowd. I am sure I will hear people boo down crafting but those people here that boo that content well they are pure raiders or pvpers and well you tried to do a game focused on that and it failed so don't take their word. I liked how we had harvesters we would plant to gather resources and we could go back to them latter to get what they collected made it more realistic. And having different qualities of the resources which affected the end result of the quality of the gear was great concept aswell.

Also SWG the space combat was so much better. Being able to travel the whole solar system not just a small space of space and space was more than just a moment of pvp battles so you could sit in space for hours and never leave your ship and fly to your space missions and jump into hyperspace. Also having your friends man the turrets while you fly was epic. How you were able to customize your ship. How the crafters made all the parts.

Also a more bigger and larger scale planets to make the universe look bigger would be great and get away from static mobs have them roam. Unless it's like a base or camp or village then that has to be static. And if you do player housing like SWG that would also attract a lot of players and help end game content. Strongholds were introduced in this game but it doesn't feel epic it doesn't feel like a real world. SWG housing did. But to fix the problem of empty houses add it to where 2 months of inactive the house packs up so when the player comes back he can replace it somewhere and it's like it was like they hadn't left. It also helps end game to the team effort a guild took to build a city was a lot of fun. Maybe for not everyone but having PVP and having PVE raids and having better space simulation and then having a robust crafting like SWG and having the city aspect brings in all sorts of players working together and they all have different play styles and needs that bring about a beautiful world and a great game. Look at how many posts I see of people comparing this game to SWG it just goes to show you that SWG had some great elements of you could combine those you would have a hit on your hands that WOW killer. It's that kind of immersion and community that you want in your game to make it successful. Star Wars is epic and people want to feel like they live in that world so having a home in that universe an actual price of property makes being in that game more meaningful.

So even if you don't make a sequel I think these ideas if can be implemented should to make this game better.

Edited by Vanisher

This game was hyped all over the place as the WOW killer bio ware may have neve stated it but it was all over the net. All the hype and how bio ware portrayed the game.

Except it was the Playerbase that DID the hype, but BioWare never once claimed that they made this game nor intended this game to be a WoW Killer. It was the Playerbase that did that all on their own.

It was the player base that hyped it to be that way. The hype train was huge for this game, a lot of it can be blamed on BioWare's marketing because they certainly talked a big talk, but they definitely never said the game was aiming to be a WoW killer, it's always been targeted to be the game for Star Wars fans, and fans of BioWare games.

All things considered, they've done wonders to fix a lot of things wrong with it, and they definitely have things they need to work on as most games do. I for one hope that the rumors are true about a sequel, and about BioWare & Disney working together to cannonize the games, and make future installments. I can't really picture a Star Wars MMO made by any other company at this point, part of that is probably due to my general love for BioWare RPG's, MMO's, and Star Wars...But also that I would be really sad for the stories, and time personally put into SWTOR on and off since launch to be done forever. There would be no guarantee of another Star Wars MMO, there would be no guarantee of high quality narrative and story telling (which, IMO is vital for a Star Wars game, and BioWare are the masters of this within the industry thus far)

I think it's important to remember they set out to make an extremely ambitious game, especially in a market that's been controversial ever since it went mainstream, they've failed miserably at certain aspects that are important to a MMO (PvP, especially competitive, and in the open/world sectors. All of which help keep a community together for longer periods of time, just look at GW2's WvW system.) But when all is said & done, there can never be too much constructive feedback by actual players for them examine and improve upon for the future.

Sandbox features are the current trend coming into MMORPG's, finding the balance is important because pure sandbox is very niche and bores most people, and themepark is hugely entertaining until you're done and then you're left being bored waiting for substantial updates. So I definitely agree with the OP on some of his points on what made SWG interesting for people. I never really played that game, so I can't really give any opinions on it one way or another but I do know plenty of people were hoping for at least some of those more open-world features would be in SWTOR at some point, and were let down so I can agree on those sort of improvements myself.

Edited by Jesira

SWG was a good game. It had a great Sandbox model. When all the current content was done and we were waiting for more we kept playing and it kept us busy. We wanted to earn more credits so we kept crafting and farming loot to sell. We were also allowed to create our own content we held speeder races we held scavenger hunts. We were given tools to throw elaborate server wide parties we had players who played music we had dancers who danced. We had cities that we created to throw these parties in. The cantinas were full and we socialized. There was more content in game to enjoy that kept us busy.

We had acheivments systems that gave tangible rewards rather than saying hey you completed these things you got 100% or 20 cartel coins like bioware does.

Open world pvp meant something. The Star Wars Galaxy was at war between empire and rebels and in game it reflected that. We placed player bases and then fought to take down those base all to control a planet. Bio wares conquest system isn't really much of anything to help one faction or the other control a planet. And pvp in open world is dead because there is no reason to do it. Pvp in the arenas is fun but after that 10 minute round it still doesn't matter in game. In SWG when a faction controlled a planet you knew their faction had increased patrols in the cities. Plus there would be bonuses to controlling a planet. There is no war going on in SWTOR besides what is going on in the stories of each character and that's that. How you can you feel that the Galaxy is at war if it's not played out amongst the players.

Space is an epic part of the Star Wars movies but space in SWTOR is horrible it's a space areana a quick play and that's it. In SWG it was like a flight sim the controls were similar to the old classic tie fighter games. Space was epic it felt like you owned that ship of yours cause you got to fly it. In SWTOR that ship which was supposed to be our base of operations as they said we can't customize the interior like we could in Star Wars galaxies. In SWTOR our ship is just a transit tune to get us from place to ace now with quick travel options we can buy and the terminal outside our hangar to daily areas I really don't even see my ship anymore so what was even the point of having one in SWTOR. The game is broken.

Crating in SWG meant something. Crafters made all the armour and all the mods inside it. If there was an armour drop you had a crafter craft it from the one time use schematic. Crafters were an important part of the gMe. You spent time getting resources and crafting learning schematics. Crafting is a joke in SWTOR we have hundreds of schematics per crafting skill but only one or two are useful for each skill all those other schematics just take up space it's pointless. In the last update we were given for armour mech for instance a bunch of schematics none were modable armour. What's the point who wears armour now that's not modable. Crafting made players feel like a part of the universe. A lot of people who weren't elite pvpers or raiders found a niche crafting. The one reason why this game the numbers have dropped so much is we lost the segment of people who want to craft. I think in all honesty the only people playing are hardcore Star Wars fans and that's why they play and that's why the forums are just filled with compliants. Is because it's the hardcore fan playing waning to be a part of a great Star Wars experience and are just hanging on hoping one day it will be.

So I hope if there is a sequel or they add to the game they change aome of these things. The planets we have in game are small compared to SWG so our planets also are not very open they have linear trails we follow it doesn't feel expansive or a large universe like Star Wars is and it doesn't feel epic either because it's small. Take note from SWG the large planets made it feel like Star Wars made it feel epic. Sure it's closed up now that game SWG but take note because what it did opened up doors for Ever Quest Next and that game is probably gonna be the game that does harm to WOW. Not bioware but another game by Sony. Sure people may hate Sony but they know how to take chances and make something memorable. I have tons of memories doing all sorts of crazy and fun things in that game SWG. In SWTOR I have memories of doing the same raid over and over week after week. Sandbox is the way to go.

I don't think sand box bores people. I think sandbox has a lot to offer more of a wider audience. So the pvpers have their thing and pvers have their thing and crafters have their thing and even role players have their thing. And if all you are is a pvper by nature then when that gets boring you have so much in game to do as a distraction till you get the thirst to go back to pvping. And if open world pvp is done right it's always current and fun and little new updates need to been done to make it current.

Pvp in bioware open world is dead there is no reason to do it. And why the pvp areanas are brutal is because it is a 10 minute match and then it ends and then you start Over. To make that kind a thing viable and on going bioware needs to be introducing new maps and types of pvp areanas to keep it interesting they should be introducing a new one every 3 months really. We should have well over 10 maps by now we don't. Just shows you how expensive and time consuming building raiding content is. They built a raiding focus game with a few tiny things to amuse us with between updates. That's why this game has lost a lot of people because it was focused on one aspect of online games and never really focused on a sandbox which gives so many reasons to play and feel like you are apart of the bigger universe. Sandbox makes you feel like part of a larger community and reality.

It didn't fail it lasted 8 or 9 years only reason it ended was because this game was hyped up Sony felt there wasn't room for two Star Wars MMO so it didn't renew its license to keep it going.

This isn't to try and change this game into SWTOR its sharing what made SWG epic and maybe bioware can work harder on its next Star Wars MMO if they even get the chance to do it. Would suck to blow it twice huh. Or if they can try to make this game better they have a place to look at. SWG I don't recall ever having server merges lol and especially after only a year this game failed more than SWG.

Edited by Vanisher

SWG went offline because Sony's license for Star Wars expired and neither they, nor LucasArts felt it worth renewing with a new MMO franchise based on SW coming out and Sony was going through a very heavy restructure at the time. BioWare still holds their license and it's looking like they'll be keeping it. Edited by Jesira

Well, if NCSoft taught me anything with Guild Wars 2, a SWTOR 2 would hemmorage money and cause Bioware or EA to have to stab one of their other, better games in the throat to support it.

*clutches the original disc of City of Heroes and falls to the floor sobbing*

Don't get me wrong I think Bioware made a good game. But I think they expected this game to be more of a success then what they were hoping for. I read the online articles how this game is struggling and hemp raging money for the company. I understand it's hard to be all things to all people. SWG had it right they started off with this great she'll of a game then kept adding to it over time. They had a great crafting structure. They had a great class and proffesional structure orgiinally when they went to the NGE it was still fun the class system but not as good as it was previously. They had a great space expansion and space was epic you felt like you were in Star Wars you owned that ship you decorated the inside the way you wanted to. The player cities and housing added an element lacking now from today's MMO the housing wasn't for everyone a lot just used it for storage but but for a huge many it was more.

Combining all those great elements created a great game. I think bioware focused on two main ideas of MMO the raiding and pvp and just neglected the rest thinking it wasn't as important but it's those other things that support and give you other things to do. Pvp and raiding get repetitive that's why people come and go. It was the housing and the crafting and the unique things that you could do in that game it was so much fun throwing a party in your city and hosting player run events. Sony gave you temporary decorations to place around and different tools to create scavenger hunts and speeder races etc. so there was so much more in game to do that kept you busy in between updates and when you got tired of pvp or raiding you had so many other things in game to occupy yourself.

This game iif you are not raiding you are pvping or running dailies everything is so repetitive and that's why this game has problems and the number of servers and the player shrank so much in only a year after launch there wasn't any of the other stuff to keep them occupied. That's all that I am getting at. Bioware focused on raiding and pvp and they lack at providing pvp so I don't even consider that a main part of this game and that's why we are left with a splinter of what orginally bought the game. They for got to place attention to other things to do inbetween all those things.

I like Star Wars and I want to always see a Star Wars MMO in operation the only reason why I offer my opinion that many others share. I have seen a lot of posts comparing this game to SWG and there is a reason for that SWG it really felt like you were a part of a Star Wars universe it had so many things to occupy you and immerse yourself with to feel like you were actually living your own life in this universe and that's what people want that's why Everquest Next is going with the sandbox model for their MMO. That is the game to watch and learn from. They didn't invent the industry they copied Ultimate Online and made their own improvements to make Everquest and well WOW copied everquest and then everyone else has tried to copy WOw ever since forgetting that Sony was the true visionary in this MMO playing feild and they are reinventing it again with EVeRQUEST NEXT.

I am just afraid that game is gonna kill this game. I am sure it will place a dent in WOW it won't kill WOW because you have so many die hards that have invested so much into it over the years because it had so many things to do and a good crafting system and stuff to keep players busy that's the dedication you want.

Edited by Vanisher

Except it was the Playerbase that DID the hype, but BioWare never once claimed that they made this game nor intended this game to be a WoW Killer. It was the Playerbase that did that all on their own.

Sigh, you missed marketing 101, didn't you? :)

A new Star Wars MMO has already been confirmed, but it's not a SWTOR sequel.

It's gonna be published by EA because they have the exclusive rights to produce licensed Star Wars titles so if SWTOR is any indication the game is already doomed.

I just hope the team that working on it actually has experience making an online game, experience communicating with their customers, stand by what they say, don't cheap out on the engine, and don't gut the team a month after it launches.

Wishful thinking I'm afraid though.

Don't be silly, of course they did... $150+ million wasn't invested to have 300k subs...

No they didn't. WoW has reached critical mass just like CoD. Meaning that no matter what happens Activision will have a consistent income stream from WoW. That is what EA wanted and really every publisher who's made a "WoW clone" wants. Not WoW's subscription levels, but the consistent income stream because in today's FTP dominated industry WoW is the exception, not the rule.

There's only one that will ever kill WoW and that's itself as evidenced by the sub drop during the MoP era.

Edited by Bugattiboy

While I'm sure this is going to be the case, probably based off Star Wars: Rebels, like the one based on the Clone Wars, I would not discount a SWTOR sequel at all. BioWare usually does sequels for all of their games eventually, and there is some evidence to substantiate a connection to SWTOR, from LucasArts on twitter a few weeks back.

I'd like to see that quote. I've never seen anywhere that there's been a new star wars mmo confirmed. Not on any news website anywhere. The only thing ever mentioned was John Smedley saying they were going to have something that swg fans could call home again, but it's not star wars as soe does not have a license. There was also a wild rumor of an ea Canada star wars based open world game, but nowhere was a star wars mmo mentioned. A lot of wild Un substantiated speculation.

I BioWare usually does sequels for all of their games eventually.

Bioware didnt do KOTOR 2, Obsidian did, and now that EA (and Disney) has complete control, expect future Star Wars games to be half-complete, buggy messes. Basically like KOTOR 2, only geared towards kids, though I have heard rumors of a single player Star Wars RPG developed by Bioware...

Bioware didnt do KOTOR 2, Obsidian did, and now that EA (and Disney) has complete control, expect future Star Wars games to be half-complete, buggy messes. Basically like KOTOR 2, only geared towards kids, though I have heard rumors of a single player Star Wars RPG developed by Bioware...

I know, but they didn't have the license to do KOTOR 2, and Obsidian receiving it was a big mistake. I'm pretty sure there will be a Star Wars: Rebels MMO-ish game from Disney & EA, but still. I still think a SWTOR sequel is inevitable in the future considering BioWare/EA at the very least has the license to do The Old Republic era games for a really long time, yet but the EA/Disney cooperation might expand it to other era's, and BioWare is the flagship studio for these things. They would probably at least try to take a second go at it, and with the lessons learned here, I think they could really pull off something magnificent...If they're smart...

Edited by Jesira

In K2 & Obsidian's defense, they were rushed by LucasArts because they wanted to release K2 in time for the Christmas Season.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.