Is it too much to ask that healing companions actually heal?

Grayseven

Just watched my healing companion in healing stance dps the mob I was fighting instead of healing, even with all dps abilities turned off. Instead of using heals, they shot. I was down to under 33% health left before the companion threw the first heal. Edited by Grayseven

Just watched my healing companion in healing stance dps the mob I was fighting instead of healing, even with all dps abilities turned off. Instead of using heals, they shot. I was down to under 33% health left before the companion through the first heal.

That's turrible

It is poor AI of the companion. Companion simple goes down a list of its abilities. If the ability is not selected, on cool down or out of range it will skip the next ability. So if the mob is at 30m and you are at 31m it will simple auto attack the mob because you are out of range. Been this way since launch and I don't see them every fixing it. Even though they could fix very easily by changing all damage abilities of healing companion to 20m. To avoid this I charge in at 15m away from the mob. Edited by Warrgames

You can click on your companions heal ability to if you like. Can even bind it to a key.

Sure, but why should I have to? I don't have to click on my DPS or Tank companions abilities to get them to do their roles while I'm going through my rotation, why should I have to micro-manage my healing companion?

My companion was 15 meters away from both my character and the mob, give or take a meter. The AI simply won't heal. Unless I just hop off my speeder or I refresh my buffs after they fall off. Then they blast through their entire cooldown set to heal up a few hundred points...

It is poor AI of the companion. Companion simple goes down a list of its abilities. If the ability is not selected, on cool down or out of range it will skip the next ability. So if the mob is at 30m and you are at 31m it will simple auto attack the mob because you are out of range. Been this way since launch and I don't see them every fixing it. Even though they could fix very easily by changing all damage abilities of healing companion to 20m. To avoid this I charge in at 15m away from the mob.

Also a good point, range will stop them from healing you if you are too far away.

I usually disable their channeled stun. This forces the healing abilities back into their rotation. I haven't had any major issues since I started doing that a couple years ago.

Lol I remember way back at launchish i hated that carbonite stream ability quinn loved to use til a nice player that asked me to team up for some quests in the area told me I could turn it off on their bar...

Now any alt I make first thing I do when I get a healing comp is make sure it or any similar ability us turned off.

And yeah charge/leap/banzai jump plus pants on head healer ai blows.

Ok quinn, stop doing anything and come stand next to me. Ok now you can play again. Sheesh its like having small children :p

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Lol I remember way back at launchish i hated that carbonite stream ability quinn loved to use til a nice player that asked me to team up for some quests in the area told me I could turn it off on their bar...

Now any alt I make first thing I do when I get a healing comp is make sure it or any similar ability us turned off.

And yeah charge/leap/banzai jump plus pants on head healer ai blows.

Ok quinn, stop doing anything and come stand next to me. Ok now you can play again. Sheesh its like having small children :p

At launch I hated Corso's grapple hook ability. Any foe that I could take down at range he'd grapple hook them and pull them into melee range. It was maddening until, as you say, someone told me I could turn it off on his ability bar.

At launch I hated Corso's grapple hook ability. Any foe that I could take down at range he'd grapple hook them and pull them into melee range. It was maddening until, as you say, someone told me I could turn it off on his ability bar.

I believe most ranged tech companions were plagued by such ability.

The only one that retains the grapple hook to this day is M1-4X.

The best is if you CC an enemy before entering combat and then kill every other mob, they'll stand there doing absolutely nothing until the CC breaks. They'll heal you while you're fighting the other mobs, they'll heal you once the CC breaks, and they'll heal you after the fight. But if you're standing next to a pre-CCd mob then their brain just melts.

On the other hand, my melee-range Scoundrel dps was very sad when his hook was changed to a leap.

I'm still glad that M1-4X has a hook-pull. I attack a mob, it begins a powerful cast, Forex yoink -- free interrupt. :D:cool:

Edited by Khevar

Companion abilities like yank, stun or knockback I automatically turn off. I figure if I need them I'll activate them myself. It only takes one use in combat that destroys my carefully laid plan for me to remember on the off chance I've missed one.

I'm rather enjoying Quinn's streaming. He frequently freezes a bad guy long enough for me to kill one or two others before turning my attention to him. I figure if the guy wasn't frozen he;d be shooting at me, so this is a good thing.

I actually just started using healers after two years. I'm liking it a lot, though in the best world you could turn healing on for ANY companion instead of being stuck with just one healer per character.

I'm rather enjoying Quinn's streaming. He frequently freezes a bad guy long enough for me to kill one or two others before turning my attention to him. I figure if the guy wasn't frozen he;d be shooting at me, so this is a good thing.

I actually just started using healers after two years. I'm liking it a lot, though in the best world you could turn healing on for ANY companion instead of being stuck with just one healer per character.

Doc's kept me alive many a time with that carbonite stream.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.